South Jersey 3 (Sat. June 11th)

anwnate

@Cannon @Andrew P @Jedd Johnson @Squeezus @1stCoC And any other sponsors who donated to this event that i haven't been able to thank in person, just wanted to thank you as well. The outreach was overwhelming and really made me feel proud. I think grip is stronger than ever (no pun intended) right now, despite what some may be saying as of late.

• Like 13

Hey guys.  Turns out that gripper was Donati's.  I'll ship it out tomorrow.

Speaking of Donati...he just put up the first writeup on SJ3.  

It's in the Trip Report/Write Up Section.

I want to remind all attendees that there is an anonymous tribunal (neither E.J. or I) that shall determine the most enjoyable trip report written.

With that determination...a prize shall be awarded...one donated by @acorn.

You have two weeks from the end of the comp. to get it in.  June 25th is the last day for submission (to be considered for the prize).

It is a badass keychain gripper.  

This is no cheap piece of metal...it is high quality with actual knurling.

Also..it literally takes an all out effort (except for Holle...or Vano I guess ;)) to do a thumb close with it.

I'm lucky enough to already have one.  It's now one of my prized possessions.

keychain gripper.jpg

• Like 8

This is a random panorama pic I took, don't know what we were doing here

20160611_140900.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, anwnate said:

SJ3 Grip Contest Results (Bending)

452lbs  Carl Donati

400lbs  Anton Torrella (HW Div)

380lbs Anthony Clarino

345lbs Jose Cabrera

345lbs Tom Scibelli

320lbs  Matthew Hunt

225lbs  Nic Branson

105lbs Andrew Scibelli

105lbs Jacob Scibelli

Documentation was kind of sketchy at this point.  

Please let me know if I missed any completed bends.  

It is my plan to do a serious bend next year.  Hopefully I'm in shape to do so. :)

Everyone did fantastic with the bending, all of which was after a very long contest, on a brutally hot day.  It was awesome seeing the enthusiasm from Tom's kids and the intensity from Ace Andrade, who gave it his best on his attempt.  Next time!

• Like 4

I've uploaded what photos I had to an online album (and facebook also).  Frankly, most of these were taken by my wifey...running out between her cooking. 

We will have to hope other peeps took a few here and there.   Here's the album...  https://goo.gl/photos/fZbgCYjW31aaBa1z8

If you prefer not to redirect...I'll put a couple of them right here on this post. :)

20160611_101041.jpgnight before.jpg20160611_121816.jpg20160611_120234.jpg20160611_145607.jpg

ej crusher.jpg

20160611_145611.jpg

chris and anthony.jpg

• Like 7

This was an awesome event with awesome people, awesome food and unmatched hospitality! I really appreciate all the sponsors that made it possible for everyone to leave with a momento of this amazing day, thank you! Im busy with work the next few days, i will write trip report asap!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I just wanna say, before I forget, that @Tom Scibelli is quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with.  Dude, you have come SO FAR since the Holdfast Gauntlet in 2013.  MACHINE!

Also, I want to mention that @Jose Cabrera is one intense son of a gun.  The lighter weight classes are going to have their hands full in the future.  His attention to detail is impressive.  You have come a long way, as well my friend.

Thank you very much Jedd!

16 minutes ago, Jose Cabrera said:

Thank you very much Jedd!

You're welcome bro.  You were laser focused!

• Like 1

@EJ Livesey melted a Red in a single wrap.  Ouch. Ouch. Ouch...

My favorite color commentator moment...

"And…he's stopping to chalk.  The Gentleman Giant's stopping to chalk.  Right there."  - Anton Torrella

• Like 8

Got my camera back that I left at Nate's, thanks for sending it @anwnate got some videos I'll be posting here:

• Like 5

Yw sir.  Next time let's throw you cam on the tripod.  Appreciate you taping this. :)

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Yw sir.  Next time let's throw you cam on the tripod.  Appreciate you taping this. :)

Will do! here's Flask Part 1

• Like 2

Guys...It's been 2 weeks since the Comp.  The contest for the best Trip Report/Write-up is now closed.  

Carl @Buccos1 Nic @canthar, Michael @MRabich, Rich @richcottrelland Tom @Tom Scibelli all submitted reports before the deadline.

I absolutely welcome and encourage any other attendees to add a report...it just won't be considered for the contest.

The super secret judging panel will soon be casting their votes.

Huge thanks to @acorn for donating the super cool keychain gripper for the contest prize.

I really enjoyed reading all of them.  Although there can be only one contest winner, all of these reports allowed others to experience the event from different perspectives.  I can tell you that if I was filthy rich, single, and childless...I'd probably attend all of them.  As it is...we have to pick, choose, schedule, and do the math to see which we can make.  These reports help fill the gaps of those we can't make.

Later this week...I'm going to do a final wrap-up (not trip report) on what I liked about the contest and things I'd like to improve upon next year.

• Like 5

Quick SJ3 wrap up.

I just finished entering the results into the North American Grip Sport page.  That done…I want to share my thoughts on the contest.

First off, I gotta thank the Sponsors.  You guys Rock! @Cannon @Andrew P @Jedd Johnson @Squeezus @1stCoC  @JHenze646 @David Horne J.B, E.J. and the person who donated the FatGripz (I was so frazzled I forgot who). I probably missed someone...whoa!

You guys stepped up without being asked and just blew our minds with your generosity.  It really helped the atmosphere knowing there were such cool things to fight for.

Everyone ended up parting with a really sweet momento…whether a Shirt or badass implement (for those who kicked ass and took names).  Although most of the people who came were only a few hours away…there were a few psychos that drove 5-11 hours.

Words really can't express how much it meant to me that so many people wanted to be a part of my first Sanctioned contest…in one way or another.

Thank you to those people who "threw in" also.  It was completely appreciated...and goes a long way towards the wifey supporting a yearly event.  BTW...she is already talking about the logistics for next year...so thanks guys. :)

A big thanks to @EJ Livesey….who should have been on the back of the shirt also.  Not only did he help orchestrate the event…he also ponied up for a couple of sweet knives and all of the shirts handed out that day.  He was there helping every step of the way and basically…it would not have happened without his instigating.

Thanks to a couple of behind the scenes guys… @climber511  and @acorn helped me with a toN of advice for months preceding SJ3.  Aaron also hooked me up with a sweet program to do the data entry in.

Big thanks to our Surprise Guest Chris "Wonder" Schoeck for coming and even performing for the group.  Very freaking cool.

Another Big thanks to our "super-surprise" guest… @Jedd Johnson who I didn't even know was coming.  Jedd was extremely helpful in judging and general contest advice throughout his time with us.  Just having him there was a bit of a comfort since this was my first "official" comp.

Anthony and Tom were like the wonder twins…helping me out throughout the comp.  Tom was a phenomenal loader and Anthony was pretty much doing any and everything needed…all the way until the cleaning up was done.  Don't get me wrong…everyone was helpful and friendly throughout…but these two went overboard.  Huge thanks to you guys.

SJ3 was really amazing for me.  Although it was a long-ass day (and got hot after lunch), it seemed everybody enjoyed themselves and got to do a little bit of everything…from the 3 sanctioned events, to the medley, to the RTFW, to the bending…to the general hanging out and fun.

The Juniors were pretty badass and it was great to see everyone congregate and cheer them on.

I was great to meet old friends and just as cool to meet new ones.  I think I ended up with 6 peeps crashing…which was pretty cool because it meant no one had to drive after a long day and a shot or two could be downed without worry.  Also…the wifey makes a excellent breakfast spread.

That said…I learned a TON and want to make sure SJ4 is even better.  Since it will be in July (Sat,15th), I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to handle the heat issue.  I could simply hope itll be balmy and 84deg…but I'm not holding my breath.

Next year…

1.  I will make sure the Data Entry is done…close to the platform.  I made the mistake of underestimating the noise level of 20+ people in and around a garage.  Along with that…M Rabich has volunteered to handle the computer so I am free to do everything and anything else needed.  I must admit that I got distracted more than once…and thankfully two errors were quickly corrected.  Huge props to gripsters that run contests year in and year out.  There's a lot too them.

2.  I will make sure that I have a true "women's" medley.  The Jr. Medley was a little too easy for her to do…and I found out the Adult medley was too hard.  I was really pissed at myself for letting it go down that way.  I've already started filling in those "gaps" I have in my block weight collection and will continue until I can properly set up a medium medley.  Sorry again Amber.

3.  I'm going to look into hiring an amateur photographer for Next Years event.  No one particularly loves taking pics at an event, since it kind of takes away from the vibe…plus, they won't be distracted since taking pics is why they are there.  Someone (I forget who), at the "Last Breakfast" suggested it.  Awesome idea.

4.  Local paper.  I definitely want to get someone to come over and cover the event.  They are always looking for things to print…and this can only help gripsport.

5.  Lodging.  I have already started talking with the Best Western (.8miles away) about getting a lower rate for fri/sat…$120 isn't the worst…but under $100 is much better.  If it doesn't work with him…I'll try some hotels a little further away (not the fleabag hotsheets ones though).

I have a number of other ideas…but I think these are a good place to start.  The events for SJ4 are not quite solid…but I've already received 3 donations for the Comp…including a MKII.  With our very own "Geralt" attending…I think it will be a day to remember.

Thank you everyone…and if I didn't thank you publically in this post…it's simply me being scatterbrained.

• Like 7

We had a photographer at one of the bay area comps in 2011 and she produced very high quality stuff.  Recommended.  SJ4 bookmarked.  

• Like 2

The voting on the SJ3 Trip Report/Write-up contest is done.

@Buccos1 and @richcottrell

After talking to the sponsor (Aaron)...it was decided to award both of you a badass keychain, rather than flip a coin.

Aaron has your addresses.  They will be mailed right after they are manufactured.  Congrats guys. :)

• Like 8

Firstly, I would like to thank The Academy simply for the honor of their consideration.  

Secondly, I would like to say, none of this would have even been possible without one vision held by Nate -- yet realized with the help of so many people behind the scenes.  

That said, I thank above all our Ambassador of Grip, for not only creating this event, but for helping me realize I could contribute even if I could not compete.  

Nathaniel is also good at giving a strong kick in the ass.  Thanks for the support and encouragement.
rich

• Like 7

Too kind sir.  You damn well better compete in SJ4...slacker!

• Like 1

Awesome!  Thank you guys for the consideration and to Aaron and Nate for the gripper and opportunity.  

• Like 3

Nate, my pleasure to assist bro.  Thanks for letting me try out some of the lifts, too.  It was a fun day.

I got my Medley attempt on tape.  This thing was so incredibly hard - just too many items to get them all inside 60 seconds, and I was really trying to avoid using my left thumb since I hurt it judging grippers of all things.  But it was a blast to try.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Nate, my pleasure to assist bro.  Thanks for letting me try out some of the lifts, too.  It was a fun day.

I got my Medley attempt on tape.  This thing was so incredibly hard - just too many items to get them all inside 60 seconds, and I was really trying to avoid using my left thumb since I hurt it judging grippers of all things.  But it was a blast to try.

You made a lot of those look so lite.

• Like 1