I See Your Red, And Raise You A Shiny Bastard

EJ Livesey

Bet there are a lot of new benders with their jaws on the floor tonight.

Seen some insane gazza bends. Thanks Tommy. Intense dude that gazza is.

The crush on the BKOASB has to be off the charts.

There was also the 6" x 1/2" square oldtime railroad spike bent with head faced toward the palm. But there was no video of that, only pictures. I think Iacobucci got one of those sent to him and he said it was a fight to cheat bend it with two pipes. Much harder than any of the mag or grand KOASB.

Edited by David_wigren

These are some pictures from Tim I who brace bent this using a couple of wrenches on each side. First you have a comparison to a 60D nail. Second picture you can see that one of the wrenches broke during the process. And Third you have the railroad spike fully bent next to a 8" 3/8 spike. These are Tim I's pictures, not Gazza's. Gazza bent his railroad spikes with the head facing his palm instead of facing in, like Tim I did. I think Gazza said that he used paper towels to bend his spikes.

post-7531-0-64487000-1419244809_thumb.jppost-7531-0-77995300-1419244833_thumb.jppost-7531-0-70299600-1419244859_thumb.jp

Everyone will hear all sorts of stories and legends of Gazza. Pertaining to the RR spike, I was told he got movement but no real damage.

Yeah I don't know about the railroad spike. I have both new high carbon and none high carbon spikes right now of the those exact dimensions, I could easily got clamp one in the vise and show how much force it really takes to bend one if anyone is interested.

Also in my blacksmithing its even hard to make a railroad spike move when its close to 1200 degrees and your pounding on it with a 4lb hammer.

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 1

Since we are sharing our legends, I spoke at length with Umpherville about Gazza many times, and they were pretty close. Jon told me of a 3/8" Grade 5 Bolt that he personally sent to Gazza, which was bent in larger leathers. He did mention that the bend took quite a while and almost broke Gazza's wrists to do it.

Since we are sharing our legends, I spoke at length with Umpherville about Gazza many times, and they were pretty close. Jon told me of a 3/8" Grade 5 Bolt that he personally sent to Gazza, which was bent in larger leathers. He did mention that the bend took quite a while and almost broke Gazza's wrists to do it.

This i believe. A 3/8" G5 is within reach for a very strong bender. I have no doubts it can be done in thick leathers.

Tommy, this is why I asked you about it a while back. I was wondering if it was on your "to bend" list.

I wish it was on my list.. That would be a monster of a bend, even in thick doubles. If i had to guess, id say marginally harder than a KOASB all the way through.

Wow. That's just nuts. Didn't Tim brace bend one at some point? Just nuuts.

Yeah he bent an 8" one. Its hanging in Erics garage next to one of my S10 bars

I remember that bend. I actually looked just a touch challenging for you lol. :blink I think you're the only one to have bent that bar.

Everyone will hear all sorts of stories and legends of Gazza. Pertaining to the RR spike, I was told he got movement but no real damage.

I remember that Gazza bent one fully. It was one of his goals since there was stories of Alexander Zass bending a railroad spike. Alexander was an inspiration to Gazza, and he wanted to recreate what Alexander was said to have done many decades ago. It had a few guys scratching their heads to why he bent it with the head facing into the palm. That would make the bend immensely more difficult.

I think the 3/8's Grade 5 bent in big leathers must have been after Gazza's prime. Because he had bent one in small leathers years before Jon even went into bending. People were starting to call the 3/8's Grade 5 the "Gazza" just as the 5/16 Grade 5 was named the "Edgin" after Clay Edgin.

I think the 3/8's Grade 5 bent in big leathers must have been after Gazza's prime. Because he had bent one in small leathers years before Jon even went into bending. People were starting to call the 3/8's Grade 5 the "Gazza" just as the 5/16 Grade 5 was named the "Edgin" after Clay Edgin.

wonder if he got a 3/8" Grade 8

wonder if he got a 3/8" Grade 8

If he did I missed it. But I don't think he would've had much problems bending one if he would've had the chance to try one.

I am getting curious of all that pictures about Rail road nails. If someone has the videos, than I should really like it to see them. A young bender can learn alot from veteran benders :)

Maybe someone is prepared to send it with a personal message :)

I am probably the only dutch bender here on the forum :shutup:

Rens

Yeah he bent an 8" one. Its hanging in Erics garage next to one of my S10 bars

I remember that bend. I actually looked just a touch challenging for you lol. :blink I think you're the only one to have bent that bar.

Yea that one was like a 7-8 or more minute bend.. Both times!

EJ could do it right now i think, and im assuming Alex could easily bend one.

JT could do it too with just a couple weeks back bending. No doubt.

Since I didn't bend anything today (was too tired and stayed late at work) I'll try one of these.

EJ,

A shiny in one IMP is freakin amazing to me. Your on a pretty sweet roll man, keep it up !