I See Your Red, And Raise You A Shiny Bastard

EJ Livesey

Wow. I'm gone for a day or two and the bending forum blows up!...very cool!

Absolutely great job E.J. That was some motivating bending.

I guess since everyone is bending in one IMP now I guess I'll have to give it a go too.

Awesome stuff there. Had a good laugh about the women remark also lol

Edited by Geralt

Wow. I'm gone for a day or two and the bending forum blows up!...very cool!

Absolutely great job E.J. That was some motivating bending.

I guess since everyone is bending in one IMP now I guess I'll have to give it a go too.

Give it a try and see what happens. You might surprise yourself.

Awesome stuff there. Had a good laugh about the women remark also lol

I was doing so good leaving those women alone. But last week I slipped up, twice. I'm telling you man, they were/are my biggest downfall. I can't focus on myself when I focus on them.

Tommy: I got faith in you bro. If I can, you can. Just find that spot that hurts less than the others.

• Like 1

Great bends! Next is recreating the Brookfield bend ;)

Please excuse my idiot moment, but what is the Brookfield bend?

Braced kink.

Braced kink.

On what bar? I'm seriously lost.

I believe, though may be mistaken, this is referencing 2 parts of Brookfield's bending.

One aspect is the purported mythical style that Brookfield used which is somehow more legit and impressive than anything that has followed (really its just a reverse bend) and is spoken about with reverence and mystery on the IM Forum by people who think a grade 5 reverse is a really world class bend.

The second aspect is Brookfield actually bending the Red Nail by kinking it against his thigh before finishing it unbraced.

• Like 1

Grade 5 bolt in 1/4 or 5/16 reverse? I'd think edgin reverse would be rare air?

So brookfield had to brace kink a red? I thought he was like an epic bender? I'm lost as well.

So brookfield had to brace kink a red? I thought he was like an epic bender? I'm lost as well.

Well, I hope Wiggy will chime in, as he is really knowledgeable about bending history.

There was a time where the Red Nail held the feat of strength status that the Gold does today. Almost unbendable. That list remained empty for a while. Mostly because no one had done it, and also because DO technique hadn't really been figured out. Brookfield was the first to do it. I think the talk is all a little bit in jest, because its said he started the kink against his leg or something. Really that doesn't mean anything to me. Brookfield is one really really strong mofo.

There are however, those people that hang out on the IM forum that think there never has been and never will be a better bender than John, that no one can bend steel in the style he did (they don't understand its simply reverse) and that's of course just BS, his legend exceeds reality. All of the modern greats including David, EJ, Hannes and Tommy have bent way harder steel than John probably knew existed.

After Brookfield, the Holle brothers bent the Red DO, and more and more people came to understand the technique. Even with the rule change to IMP's and the bend having to be completed in a minute, I actually think the Red Nail Roster has a lot of integrity from beginning to end. The difference between a bend in leathers and IMP's is really only a couple weeks or months work, and isn't the change in magnitude that a CCS or a parallel set with grippers is. Now that the IMP technique and understanding has been refined, we can teach a strong dude to cert in 3 - 6 months. Or 3-6 days if your initials are T.J.

It wasn't always like that. Even an incredibly strong bender like Mike Rinderle waited much longer to cert because he had to figure out the transition down to IMP's. I remember he really wasn't sure it was a done deal when he did it. I think his cert was in a Lowe's parking lot, but I digress.

Actually though, if you take away DO, the number of people that can bend a Red are very rare. Bending one in the wrist styles is a real feat of strength still.

The only person around that I think might actually be able to reverse an Edgin is Stephen Ruby. He might even be able to do it in a single David Horne wrap lol. Anybody hear from that guy? What a badass. Maybe Ivan. He might blow a gasket doing it, but he'd probably move the bolt.

Gazza claims to have reversed a Big Grade 8 in paper towels. I'll leave that ghost dead and buried, however.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Well, I hope Wiggy will chime in, as he is really knowledgeable about bending history.

There was a time where the Red Nail held the feat of strength status that the Gold does today. Almost unbendable. That list remained empty for a while. Mostly because no one had done it, and also because DO technique hadn't really been figured out. Brookfield was the first to do it. I think the talk is all a little bit in jest, because its said he started the kink against his leg or something. Really that doesn't mean anything to me. Brookfield is one really really strong mofo.

There are however, those people that hang out on the IM forum that think there never has been and never will be a better bender than John, that no one can bend steel in the style he did (they don't understand its simply reverse) and that's of course just BS, his legend exceeds reality. All of the modern greats including David, EJ, Hannes and Tommy have bent way harder steel than John probably knew existed.

After Brookfield, the Holle brothers bent the Red DO, and more and more people came to understand the technique. Even with the rule change to IMP's and the bend having to be completed in a minute, I actually think the Red Nail Roster has a lot of integrity from beginning to end. The difference between a bend in leathers and IMP's is really only a couple weeks or months work, and isn't the change in magnitude that a CCS or a parallel set with grippers is. Now that the IMP technique and understanding has been refined, we can teach a strong dude to cert in 3 - 6 months. Or 3-6 days if your initials are T.J.

It wasn't always like that. Even an incredibly strong bender like Mike Rinderle waited much longer to cert because he had to figure out the transition down to IMP's. I remember he really wasn't sure it was a done deal when he did it. I think his cert was in a Lowe's parking lot, but I digress.

Actually though, if you take away DO, the number of people that can bend a Red are very rare. Bending one in the wrist styles is a real feat of strength still.

The only person around that I think might actually be able to reverse an Edgin is Stephen Ruby. He might even be able to do it in a single David Horne wrap lol. Anybody hear from that guy? What a badass. Maybe Ivan. He might blow a gasket doing it, but he'd probably move the bolt.

Gazza claims to have reversed a Big Grade 8 in paper towels. I'll leave that ghost dead and buried, however.

Mike this is very impressive and well written. Thank you for this.

Thanks Mike for the explanation. I've always wanted to know more about John. I think he did it backhanded as well and that's where I was going with this.

Thanks Mike for the explanation. I've always wanted to know more about John. I think he did it backhanded as well and that's where I was going with this.

I saw John do a clinic once with Mike Mahler (Kettlebell dude). His strength was still titanic. I actually hadn't seen that picture, but I have no problem believing he could bend a Red that way. Is that Helsep style? Where's the Swedish delegation?

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I'm not sure Mike. The only evidence of his bending a red nail that I've seen has been in his book and I'm just wondering if anyone can recreate it. He is an impressive guy and the things he has done are nuts.

Well it was a time before YouTube. Unlike the Kinney debacle John has and continues to perform amazing feats of strength in front of actual knowledgeable people. I have zero doubt he could Helsep a Red. From everything I've both seen and heard, he's WSM strong.

• Like 1

Well we are gonna need a Ouija board.

Suffice it to say, the legitimacy of some of Gary's bends are questioned. I have seen video of Gazza bending steel sent to him by Tim T and it looked legit, while it also did appear he was summoning Cthulhu and his demon hoards for some extra strength.

One way or the other Gary Hunt's legacy will fade into history the way Kinney's will, because they never took the time to legitimize themselves, they will remain hushed shadows and legends.

• Like 1

One way or the other Gary Hunt's legacy will fade into history the way Kinney's will, because they never took the time to legitimize themselves, they will remain hushed shadows and legends.

I was just wondering what exactly you mean by not legitimizing themselves (well Gary Hunt specifically). I know a good deal of the story of Kinney, and I don't wish to bring that up at all....in the least. However isn't Gary Hunt officially certified on the Huge King of All Shiny Bastards, along with many other FBBC certs? I know he has plenty of outrageous (almost mythical) bends with no witnesses, but what about his certified bends?

I only know as much about him as I could dig up in old threads....that the search function could find.....so don't be upset with my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Edited by Frank Pizzo

Without giving my opinion of whether or not he was totally legit, I will say that the FBBC cert process is historically far from conclusive. It's why steelbenders and now Iron Grip use RATED steel. To my knowledge Gary never bent anything bigger than a Bastard in front of anyone. Not conclusive either way, but certainly not how you secure your place among the strongest & toughest men to have ever lived.

Without giving my opinion of whether or not he was totally legit, I will say that the FBBC cert process is historically far from conclusive. It's why steelbenders and now Iron Grip use RATED steel. To my knowledge Gary never bent anything bigger than a Bastard in front of anyone. Not conclusive either way, but certainly not how you secure your place among the strongest & toughest men to have ever lived.

I see. Thanks for the response Mike. Makes sense.

I agree that video evidence is not 100% conclusive...I watch David Blaine specials and know he isn't a real sorcerer but on video he sure comes off that way lol! Not that Gary or anyone else specifically is or was trying to deceive anyone, but it certainly could be done.

I know one thing for sure, brookfield sure as shit didnt bend them reds that way. NO WAY! Tommy and EJ cant do it, he sure as hell cant. Anyone who believes brookfield can bend something that those beasts cant is insane.

There's also different levels of video evidence. Look at how precise the horseshoe certs are. Every millimeter is accounted for. Every video we submitted for steelbenders was scrutinized in every aspect. There's a good reason for that.

• Like 1

I know one thing for sure, brookfield sure as shit didnt bend them reds that way. NO WAY! Tommy and EJ cant do it, he sure as hell cant. Anyone who believes brookfield can bend something that those beasts cant is insane.

Actually, based on what I've seen, some in person, I believe he could. There are several people I think could also potentially succeed with this style including Ivan and Hannes, maybe even Adam. I even saw Ewok Hugo bend a Grade 8 Helsep style and he was a skinny dude lol. Tommy & EJ are primarily DO benders so it's a little apples and oranges comparison.

John is legitimately a Titan. Either way, this highlights the problem with a lack of clear video documentation, and the difficulty in comparing athletic epochs.