I See Your Red, And Raise You A Shiny Bastard

EJ Livesey

so here is my take on Gary 'Gazza' Hunt

He was for real. everything he did was real.

So a while back i had the chance to hang out with Dennis Rogers and Pat Povilaitis. A lot of you guys probably don't know that Pat and Gary were homeboys for years. They had a nasty falling out. So during conversation Gary's name came up and Pat never once said anything bad about Gary, in fact he told me that Gary was the real deal. Even after all the messed up shit Gary said about Pat on different forums. Pat believed that Gary was 100% legit. Gary was mentally unstable and was a shut in. He bent for fun and to keep his sanity. He didn't have much to prove, because he didn't care. Gary was bending for so long, he believed he bent everything that could be bent, and he had nothing to prove. Gary and i also exchanged a couple PMs years ago. he gave me some advice that helped when i tweaked in a little to work for me. He knew his shit for sure.

I started bending in Aug 2010, not even four and a half years. Now remember i was injured and didn't bend or lift for an entire year. Take a look at all the things i bent. I was always strong, but didn't do manual labor, and have no history in grip. So I trained very aggressively. Now take some one like Gary who had an even more aggressive mindset and who bent at least three times longer than I have. What do you get??? you get a guy that can kink Edgins barehanded and a guy that can kill shiny bastards barehanded. Believe me this is entirely possible. I also got my hands on some videos of his that never made it to youtube. Videos of training sessions and bends that blew my mind. He bent aggressively for over 10 years, Gary was literally one big ball of muscle.

I was able to replicated bends that i was told would take a lifetime to bend in only a few years. the crazy bends we do now, single IMP bends, edgins in IMPs, big G8 in singles is almost common place now. years ago i would have been called a fraud or cheat. what if three years from now Gazzas bends are common place? Bending is evolving FAST. What if Gazza was just ahead of his time?

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 6

Someone should really compile a history of bending, some of these guys like Gazza sound rather interesting.

I'd like to see gazza video. Anyone? Bueller bueller?

I looked, but it seems I don't have them anymore.

EJ might have some? I had the Insane Shiny vid done in single leathers (no rubber bands) in the middle of a field. Also the barehand Shiny. I might have a photo of that.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I got a pretty good one of Gazza, i dont know if its ok to post it without his or others approval. On brookfield, i go by gripboard tradition, NO VIDEO PROOF, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Period. Hes a total GRIP badass i know that. But no vid of that bend.

I got a pretty good one of Gazza, i dont know if its ok to post it without his or others approval. On brookfield, i go by gripboard tradition, NO VIDEO PROOF, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Period. Hes a total GRIP badass i know that. But no vid of that bend.

If you find it on YouTube post it. But if it's from your personal collection and not on the net, please send via email or PM. Gazza requested years ago his videos be pulled and his name erased from all records except fbbc.

Well this was in the early 90's. No cellphones, not alone YouTube. Whether or not there's video of John or Gary has nothing to do with whether or not they actually did these things, only with our perception of them. Also, John isn't posting here making claims. We're just talking history and legend here. Really Brookfield and his lore aren't in the same boat as Kinney or Gazza. His feats were performed for crowds, on TV, and for decades on end. Strength evolves and the science we use to evaluate it also becomes refined, so I think all the arguments over who did what or what gripper he closed are often anachronistic and impossible to compare out of context. That being said, if there's a list of strongest men in the 20th century, John Brookfield's name should be up for discussion.

Overall I'm inclined to also believe Gazza was (mostly) legit. There's definitely an exaggerative aspect to men's nature, and most are inclined to add a few inches or pounds to the big fish they just caught. Even so, they did catch a fish.

I think you have the Shiny video from me? Don't know if I'd post it here.

Yup its the shiny vid mike. And yes i agree things evolve, and he has established himself as a beast in many regards, but we are changing this sport and i could care less what you did on vid that "compares" no vid no proof. Ive seen him slaughter a butt load of cards etc, but a kink on the hip in leathers then a reverse, that doesnt even make sense brosky.

Edited by Jose Cabrera

Yup its the shiny vid mike.

Nice. The one with Tim's steel in the field is pretty next level insane. I got them from Ump. That ship has sailed however.

so here is my take on Gary 'Gazza' Hunt He was for real. everything he did was real. So a while back i had the chance to hang out with Dennis Rogers and Pat Povilaitis. A lot of you guys probably don't know that Pat and Gary were homeboys for years. They had a nasty falling out. So during conversation Gary's name came up and Pat never once said anything bad about Gary, in fact he told me that Gary was the real deal. Even after all the messed up shit Gary said about Pat on different forums. Pat believed that Gary was 100% legit. Gary was mentally unstable and was a shut in. He bent for fun and to keep his sanity. He didn't have much to prove, because he didn't care. Gary was bending for so long, he believed he bent everything that could be bent, and he had nothing to prove. Gary and i also exchanged a couple PMs years ago. he gave me some advice that helped when i tweaked in a little to work for me. He knew his shit for sure. I started bending in Aug 2010, not even four and a half years. Now remember i was injured and didn't bend or lift for an entire year. Take a look at all the things i bent. I was always strong, but didn't do manual labor, and have no history in grip. So I trained very aggressively. Now take some one like Gary who had an even more aggressive mindset and who bent at least three times longer than I have. What do you get??? you get a guy that can kink Edgins barehanded and a guy that can kill shiny bastards barehanded. Believe me this is entirely possible. I also got my hands on some videos of his that never made it to youtube. Videos of training sessions and bends that blew my mind. He bent aggressively for over 10 years, Gary was literally one big ball of muscle. I was able to replicated bends that i was told would take a lifetime to bend in only a few years. the crazy bends we do now, single IMP bends, edgins in IMPs, big G8 in singles is almost common place now. years ago i would have been called a fraud or cheat. what if three years from now Gazzas bends are common place? Bending is evolving FAST. What if Gazza was just ahead of his time?

Thanks for this input brother.

I don't doubt Gazza was perhaps the greatest of all time. But there are some stuff I'm not willing to believe without some convincing proof. Most seem only to remember what Gazza bent in late 2006 to 2007 when things were just starting to get crazy. It got much crazier toward 2009 to 2010. Crazy like

3" Shiny, dubbed the "maniacal shiny" in small leathers.

5" KOASB in Ironmind pads.

7" × 10mm drillrod strict DU and reverse (way harder than a big G8).

5.5" shiny barehanded.

7" Edgin barehanded, full bend, not just a kink.

In spring 2011 he challanged Pat to a contest "bend off". A week later this public challenge. Ironmind came out with the Gold nail. Pat failed to bend the Gold nail. A perfect time for Gazza to get exactly what he'd been asking for years. Did he take it? No, he went underground and disappeared. That part is the strongest reason to why I doubt him.

Edited by EJ Livesey
Moved from race to red nail topic
  • Like 1

Some of those feats seem unreal. Those barehanded ones. Insane I think you ment to post on the other thread though

Edited by EJ Livesey
Moved from race to red nail topic

I have about 8 CRAZY vids from Gazza. Including the ones that he recorded after Tim T sent him some huge steel and he destroyed it straight from the package, with measurements, and the whole 9 yards.

Ive got his barehand shiny bastard bend, and his reversing what is equivalent to a BG8, in imps.

They really are nuts.

If it is okay with everyone, id be glad to post them later on when i get home.

Tommy, please don't post them publicly. It will open a whole new can of worms. If guys want them please send via email or PM.

I have about 8 CRAZY vids from Gazza. Including the ones that he recorded after Tim T sent him some huge steel and he destroyed it straight from the package, with measurements, and the whole 9 yards.

Ive got his barehand shiny bastard bend, and his reversing what is equivalent to a BG8, in imps.

They really are nuts.

If it is okay with everyone, id be glad to post them later on when i get home.

Tommy, please don't post them publicly. It will open a whole new can of worms. If guys want them please send via email or PM.

This is why we don't say Voldemort's name lol :laugh

• Like 1

Will do. Everyone who wants to see Gazza vids pm me.

The one in the field with the KOASB is amazing. Everyone who bends should watch that once. Then go hug your loved ones.

• Like 1

I don't doubt Gazza was perhaps the greatest of all time. But there are some stuff I'm not willing to believe without some convincing proof. Most seem only to remember what Gazza bent in late 2006 to 2007 when things were just starting to get crazy. It got much crazier toward 2009 to 2010. Crazy like

3" Shiny, dubbed the "maniacal shiny" in small leathers.

5" KOASB in Ironmind pads.

7" × 10mm drillrod strict DU and reverse (way harder than a big G8).

5.5" shiny barehanded.

7" Edgin barehanded, full bend, not just a kink.

In spring 2011 he challanged Pat to a contest "bend off". A week later this public challenge. Ironmind came out with the Gold nail. Pat failed to bend the Gold nail. A perfect time for Gazza to get exactly what he'd been asking for years. Did he take it? No, he went underground and disappeared. That part is the strongest reason to why I doubt him.

Gazza also had a falling out with Randall and Ironmind. It was an agruement over grippers. So Gazza swore he would never touch an IM product again. He boycotted IM totally. Then with all the peer pressure and shit he got because of the gold and his personal preference to not be a part of IM he went underground. I guess he just had enough of the doubts and skepticism. Guys that were his "friends" he believed were turning on him.

I can't comment on the above claims to crazy bends. This is the first time I have heard of these claims.

Yes pat did bend one. It was in single leathers. But the leathers are not the size of singles. The are longer, wider and thicker. Either way it took about 20mins with a couple breaks. He started it reverse style and finished DO

Oh hey, i heard Pat bent a gold nail in leathers?.. Is this true?

Edit; i remember reading or hearing that it was claimed to be in single leathers

I heard that he did.

Insane stuff. So a bar that Alex guy bent 5" long though I'm imp???? That seems not even possible. Can't wait to see these. The field one sounds good.

Bet there are a lot of new benders with their jaws on the floor tonight.

Confirmed...

• Like 1