Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Wow I can't believe it's almost been six months since last post. I am still training - went through some tough times with my left knee and got discouraged back in October.... lingering effects kept me frustrated and really just not motivated to post.

Until now... work and life still very busy, but I'd like to consistently post again. I'm starting toward a new training evolution that will consist of time under tension training and continued CCS work.

Still a hair under 3 CCS level but that should change if I stay the course. Best effort of late was 5 reps CCS on a 136 2.5 in a two min. period. Left was 4 reps on a 125. Will continue these once a week gripper sessions, mainly ten rep work and sometimes 5x5 efforts until I am consistently CCSing the 3.

With other grip aspects, time under tension is the goal. Will use the following moderately heavy weights to reach a minute of tension - divided up by timed holds, as many as necessary to reach one minute:

2hp - 163 (2x per week)

2 inch axle  - 300 lbs DOT hold (1x per week)

anvil -150 (1x per week)

I will need to keep the log to document effort and track my progress toward an hour of timed holds with each of the above, respectively.

Keep me accountable :)

• Like 1

Today 

Back squat to main set of 280x10

Front rack jerk dips 275x5, 305x5x2

2hp with thumb guards, 1m timed holds (8 holds)

• Like 1

Push presses to 2x5 at 165

Upper back extensions 3x10

Reverse extensions 6x10

CCS left, 2x10 with GHP 5 within 2 min, right GHP 6 2x5.... tns ghp 5 14 reps right, left COC 2 9 reps

2hp timed holds 163 - 2 minutes of holds - I believe 14 holds with thumb savers

Back squat to 285x10

Goodmornings 135x10

Back extensions 

2hp 163 to 1m, took me a while to get there... not a good texture day and thumb guards don't help either... probably 14-15 goes to get the full minute

clean pulls to 315, 5 singles

various other conditioning work - back exts ect

sprints plus 45" standing box jumps for reps... best effort was 6 in a row

Later in day, axle thumbless holds off rack first two 17 seconds, and 11 seconds, then finished out the minute with double overhand holds - 300 pounds, mind you - there were only 4 45s, the rest were 25s and lowers so less spin factor.

Stats so far toward my isometric hours - 4 mins of 2hp, 1 minute of axle

Snatch pulls, 6x3 at 185

Rev back ext 2x10

2hp hold 1m, 58mm this time... around 10 holds still using thumb protectors as always

40lb fatman for 1min each hand, about 8 holds each hand

Stats 

Axle: 1

2hp: 5

Blob 40: 1m

Edited by jvance

Clean + push press triples, to 185 

Backsquat to 295x10.. very pleased here - was only shooting for 8 but had some strength left so I gutted out two more

Heavier set of good mornings 165x10.. very deliberately ensured straight back and firing through the hips/glutes

messed with grippers even though they felt like crap yesterday and managed some wide set rep PRs

TNS right 2.5 for 6 reps, left Super Master for 3

Then higher reps, TNS 2 left for 10, another left PR... then some high rep CCS with mini closes for reps

Very pleased with the efforts considering yesterday was gripper fiasco

Yesterday, only thing notable was Strict press 145x9 

Today... little pinch... one minute of holds 2hp, 41mm this time

sitting at 6m of 2hp 163#... might start bumping up volume to 90 seconds a session as my hands are getting used to the current volume

Today, backsquat 305x9 did 10 but last rep was scared to break 90 (No spotter) 

Right hand grippers, coc 3 2x2 with 1.5" set... 2nd rep maybes?? Couldn' feel the close but unsure.

Left hand 2.5 1x7 with same block, def  a pr 

More high rep tns

2hp 38mm, 90 seconds of holds today

Now at 7.5 min of holds since 18 Feb

Around 45 seconds of blob40 holds to finish along with 20 seconds of 140 anvil each hand

• Like 1

Yesterday, got my minute in of axle rack holds

did the first two thumbless - 17s/11s, then finished out with 4 more overhand.... hands didn't gas out quite as bad as they did at first.. might pinch again tomorrow who knows

2m of axle holds since tracking this/7.5 2hp

• Like 1

not as much training this week... had a rough cold a few days ago, still dealing with a cough but it's on the mend

on weds did 30 seconds 2hp, Friday another 15.. just kinda miserable as far as holding strength goes.. up to 8.25 minutes

today between snatches did CCS grippers, reset reps 3x10 ghp 5 left, 3x10 COC 2.5 right, last set took some 10-15 second breaks between reps to get to 10

64kg inch holds, left hand got some decent 1-2 second paused holds but nothing longer than that... still managed about 12-15 singles... right hand got over a minute in holds... started out 7 seconds, then fives then 2-3 for the rest of the marathon... kinda different... I liked this and I may train this way again

• Like 1

Today, backsquat 305x9 can't seem to get a legit tenth - need more cardio

8 second paused front squats 4 singles at 225

2hp at 52 mm, another minute, up to 9.25, blob 40 another minute each hand (2 min per hand total now)

• Like 1

Weds, got 1.75 min of 2hp and 1 min of axle holds,

Yesterday 305x10 backsquat and 5 front squat singles of 255, 3 sec pause in the hole

1 min 2hp

Totals are now 12 min 2hp/3 min axle

• Like 1

Today warmup with jerk triples

tns grippers, left 2.5 3 reps. missed 4 by a hair, still a PR, right got 7, really close to 8, which beats a good PR from a week or two ago of six reps tns

rev back extensions, bent over back flyes, superset and 64kg inch lifts/holds... got 20 lifts each hand, best hold left was 3 seconds, right got 8 seconds.. average about 4... which put me at about 1.5 min right and 45 seconds left - kept a loose count.... lotta volume but the hands kept their strength throughout

• Like 1

Sprints 88 degrees, uphill: 8 sets of 30 seconds all out, 1:30 walking between

Garmin tracker: avg HR 132/max 154, max speed 20.9mph, max run cadence 232 spm, avg stride length 1.25meter

extensor bucket at work, about a min each hand in holds in between computer crashes :angry:

• Like 1

1min 2hp holds between computer freezes, 13 min total so far

After work, bounding stair plyometrics and a combatives warmup routine and 15x10 pushups in 7 min

Backsquat to 315x8

Front squat 265 paused in the hole 4 singles between 2hp holds

Last FS set 1x3

1min 2hp only 7 holds today to hit mark

so now at 14min 2hp

thought about my squat and overall strength over the last 18 months or so.. was not that long ago I would not get under 285 to squat... now my high rep work sets are 30 lbs higher. 

Here's to hard work paying off little by little - to a significant improvement. Hoping for the same dividends in grip - gotta work even harder than before.

• Like 1

Yesterday, 14 snatches 135, 4 more 145

2 min of holds 64kg inch right, 1m left... from 0700-1000ish pick it up put it down... good conditioning 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude that looked wayyyyyy to easy for you! Nice!

Thanks Brother!