Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Last night just strict situps and 10x10 pushups with 30s break

This evening did paused front squats now up to 247x5 x2 sets, and paused back squats at 275x5x2

Messed with grip a bit after, managed a nice lefty 2.5 tns that felt easier than the last successful close. Right hand managed almost 4, the last being a hair from closed all the way.

Probably shouldn't have gone all out on TNS because I did a little RT and hit 185 left, an offhand PR and 212 right... heaviest RT weight I've ever pulled so far. Who knows if I would have had 215 in me but 212 was at my limit. 

Very surprised at my strength level today... wasn't expecting much over 200 to be honest... maybe the few weeks of finger tendon work, followed by almost none for a week??? or maybe getting thin pinch back in the rotation or the active work sessions with light tns... time will tell, i'm hopefully this becomes a trend

Last back to back pause squat session for a little while

Front squat 260x3x3, back squat 285x3x3 all paused

reverse back exts

clean grip overhead squat to 155, wasn't really feeling these...

clean complex, power clean, clean, jerk 2x to 185 2x

grip again, thin block 2hp to 172 in the HEAT.. near 100 outside

tendon work with rims out pinch, up to a PR 2 45s, these had been stuck on the ground since about a couple months ago when I started incorporating rim lifts

hangs on the metolius, all PBs for time, both 3 finger combos and the four finger outer digit hold

Yesterday

Endurance and hypertrophy work

Shoulders and back complex/superset with sprints

various planks

Today trainer TNS holds like before 10s/rest 10/switch hands, for 15 minutes... feeling easier as I increase the volume. Might go ahead and switch to a 1...

Need to catch up

Snatch day Tuesday, did double complex, full snatch/hang snatch to 170, then a single at 175

front squat overloaded rack holds to heavy-- can't remember

grip work as well, 2hp to 170ish on thin block

Weds

clean and jerks, did a complex clean+front squat+jerk, to 205 (ten lb jumps from 165)

more front squat holds and core work

Thursday, triple stair bounding + 10 pushups, 10 sets consecutive

Grippers did a bunch of TNS with a 2, then down to a 1 for the 10sec/rest 10/switch hands/repeat set. Got the full 10 minutes although it was brutal, great hand conditioning though.

Yesterday, heavy front squat singles 235/255/265/275/285/295/300

Backsquat 265/285/295/305/315/325

Jerks from rack 135x5, 165x3, 185x3, 205x1, 220x1

Barbell hip thrusts 215x5, 235x5, 255x10 (all out)

Reverse back hypers and roman chair crunches

Snatch complex 3x 1" off ground snatch, 2 high hang snatch, 3x snatch balance, 125/135/135

215 snatch pull plus 5x high pull shrugs

3 sets

Roman chair rows, 2x snatch grip, 2x clean grip. 10 reps each

Sprint then pullup superset

3x 

60meter/ 10 btn/ 10 roman chair crunches

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jvance said:

Yesterday, heavy front squat singles 235/255/265/275/285/295/300

Nice job dude! Real deal weight right there! 

• Like 1

General grip work today

Full body workout stair run/10 pushups X 10 in 4:07

snatch technique work, bar only... and hip thrusts with 123lb, alternating single leg 5 each

Some gripper singles GHP 1.5", to 136 left and 149 right

Thin wood block 2hp to 175

Some 3 second holds on little big horn up to 155

40 lb blob cleans

2 35s rims out holds, 5 or 6 each hand shooting for 10 seconds

Thick bar work, 2.5" inch axle one hand, 125x8 left, 135x5 right... then mixed in triples right with the strength shop 64kg inch, righty

18 hours ago, Durrs said:

Nice job dude! Real deal weight right there! 

thanks man!! I've put on around 65lbs to my max front squat in less than a year.. a cycle of smolov... a lot of pause squats and some overtraining lol... but finally getting some respectable leg strength 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been deloading so not much to report. Light lifting.... today back into heavier work.

Clean / jerk doubles 200lb 4 sets

Clean and push press 185x3x3

Floor hip thrusters 185x10 on foam roller

More hip thrusters with 64kg inch

Good mornings 135x5x2

Grip work last week RT 162L177R

Pause off floor then lockout, 5x5 each arm

Did other things but otherwise its been lighter

Hang snatch, 135x5, 145x5, 155x5

Clean + power jerk, 10 second hold over top.. 165, 5 singles

Hip extensions 

Trainer TNS holds 10on/10off alt hands for 20 mins

Threw out hip on sat.. miserable weekend. Hit up chiro and it feels better but still hurts. Gonna start back with light stuff and hopefully get back on track.

Low back much better. Worked slowly back up off the deload over the weekend.

Today back to heavy squatting

Pause FS no wraps/belt/or shoes, 235x4x3

Pause BS 265x5x1

64kg inch hip thrusts 2x12

Rev back ext

Tns singles 125 left, 136 right, might be PR cant remember

Rt left, double at 180, right 200x3. Rep PR i think

64kg inch triples right, also thumbless armlifting work on 2.5 inch axle, 120lb triples

Grip came back strong after a weak outing saturday. Did a lot of tendon work including rims out work during last midweek, got up to 100lb left and 110 right... big gains but it took extra time to heal hence the bad saturday sesh. Just a note to self ... tendon work really kills top end for extra time

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Snatch balance/squat jerks up to just 125

Full hang snatch triples to 125 x4 sets

Nice and easy 

Finished with 10 stair runs - triple stairs/10 pushups X 10 in 4:13

Tomorrow is going to be a long day with a squat and accessory workout followed by a long day at the range

Edited by jvance

• 2 weeks later...

Skipped a few logs here... basically following the Smolov program again for legs. Probably a grip workout in there I didn't log. Wasn't all that great didn't feel strong so just did general grip work.

Today however, back on the log. Snatch 2x/snatch balance 2x complex.  95/125/135/145/155. Clean/push press 2x/ jerk 135/155/165

Grip work.. CCS singles with 2.5, then some TNS attempts at my 149 #3.. got it down to about 4mm, left probably about 12 mils lol

2.5" axle one hand lifts, 130x3x3 left and 150x3x3 right

did a bunch of time under tension with the extensor bucket also

some thumbpad specific work as well. I'm thinking this should have a nice carryover to wide set grippers as strong, fat thumbpads really go a long way hammering down the last few millimeters

Front squat 215x3, 240x4, 265x5

Back squat 215x2, 265x2, 285x2, 305x5x2 sets

roman chair back extensions with euro 

rev back extns

monkey bar walking later in afternoon

Front squat 225x4, 270x5 no pause, no belt

Back squat 265x2, 285x2, 305x5 x2 sets

Front squat rack holds, 305x3, 355x3x2 sets

Reverse back extns 10x

Roman chair bearhug  back extns w/ 115lb dumbbell 10x

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Nice little grip workout today... listened to my tendons more or less, I've been testing the waters with a #2 TNS... didn't feel all that zippy so I skipped the grippers but did some tendon work

Warmed up with snatch doubles, to 145, 2 sets

Then clean and 2x jerk, to 165 3 sets... nothing crazy but getting the CNS involved and keeping motor skills alive

Grip: rims out pinch, warmed up with 35s, still a no go left handed with 45s (decent air now but no lockout), right handed up to a ten second hold

Extensor bucket at 19 lbs, up to 10 second hold PB

Some thumbless holds with 115 FGX dumbbell, 5 seconds each hand 2x

Got froggy and went for a the 64kg inch thumbless and got it, much to my surprise... got the second lift on video. Been so miserably far away from a full lift in the past this PR caught me by surprise. Small victories man....

Finished with some fingerholds for time and 13 crimp grip pullups

Edited by jvance

At work between tasks did some scapular retraction with pullup bar, used all the different grip angles. Also strict press 135x5, then 8 reps to failure

At home front squats 245x3, 285x3, last rep had to rerack and take about 3 deep breaths before doing the last set

Back squats 285x2, 305x2, 315x3

115# dumbbell bearhug back extensions 2x10, also 2x10 reverse back extensions

triple stair runs + 10 pushups on the exhale, 10 rounds in 4:40... much tougher limiting breathing throughout

Same squat workout as last, add an extra triple at 315

Up and down grip work... thickbar sucked. But hit a left ccs ghp 6, 133, real close with a136..right tnsed the 3 to 5mm, a slight improvement. 

Hit the rims out 45s left finally also... just a bunch of general work.

Finished with 3.5 silver bullet, got a mere 4 sec left, and 12 right on the second run, 1st was 10s

Thursday, front squat 245x3, 285x3x2 sets

Back squat 315x3x3 sets

Goodmornings 135x5x2, Reverse back extension, and roman chair extensions with 60lb, 2 rounds

Friday active recovery, plus a little weekly strict press competition, 11 reps with 135, up from 8 reps last week

Today snatch to 145, plus 2x narrow grip snatch balance, then clean and jerk singles to 165, 3 times

Pretty much a warmup for grip...

Grippers tns/ccs, left hand 2.5 COC, 3x3 reps, last set had to force shut last rep, right hand 3x5 ccs

2 hand pinch singles to 183

Little big horn singles up to 185 left and 193 right

extensor bucket work up to 24 lbs

Rolling thunder, singles up 185 left, and 200 right, didn't go higher bc I wanted to work the hand to hand 64kg inch transfer.... which I got on the third attempt

some campus work on the bricks to finish as well as some 40lb blob transfers and 1hp holds, up to 20lbs extra weight on the thumb side to hit the wrists.... overall a good grip day, got a lot of work in

• Like 1

FS 255x3, 285x3x2sets

BS 285x2, 315x3x2 sets

Goodmorning variations from bottom of squat, 135x5x2

Reverse back extensions 2x10

Tues: warm-up with cleans

FS 245x3, 285x3x2

BS 295x4x3, pause atg

All done with no belt

Today FS 265x3x2, 285x4

BS 305x3 pause atg, no belt again

Cardio tonight.

Grip upcoming also

Edited by jvance

Behind again, work is crazy

Had a bad grip sesh over the weekend, not much detail but grippers were shit and so on... ended up just doing a bunch of timed rock climbing hangs.

Yesterday did some semi stimutating snatches/cj work up to moderate weight and then did some Rolling Thunder, pleased to report a lefty PR of 186, 189 was pulled well off the floor but not a good locked out lift

Right hand I matched the previous PR of 211.. happy with the consistent results

Earlier today I tested my front squats after another cycle of Smolov, this time scaled back and modified a bit as to not destroy myself. Well pleased with the final result - 315 front squat and a very easy 335 back squat, nervous to go higher than that without a spot but I was confident I could give 350 a good fight 

Grip session

Up to almost 3 reps CCS on the 2.5 left handed, an attempt at Vulcan level 13 CCS was soo close as well

Superset 10 second hold 72 lbs one hand pinch, then thumb forward rim pinch with 2 35s, ten seconds again.. thumb forward really helps work the thumb tendons along with all the digits

did this 5 sets

Then various time holds on the metolius grips... got a one hand hang for the first time right handed also... (these hang from a rope, not statically fixed - so quite a bit harder to hang from)

Before grip did snatches up to 145, snatch then hang snatch

Clean and jerk doubles to 200, then a single with 3 jerks, felt solid for the first time in a while.... really felt stable and my feet were synched with the bar locking out, which feels nice

Front squat, to 265 with a 5 second pause ass to grass, 2 singles. Back squat same way to 285x1

Some lower back work in the atg front rack position with 165, let the elbows droop then get them high.. kinda hard to explain but they hit the right muscles

Reverse back extensions to finish