New Training

gm1swm

So after injuries to my hand and surgery on my foot, I've decided to get serious agian. What started as a new KTA run turned into a high volume monstrosity, taking rest days whenever I feel like it.

So starting with today, it went like this...

25 x wide set singles with a new #3

1 x CCS with #3 done as the last gripper rep.

In between singles up to the 15th rep, I lifted a 35 lbs york blob by the face and performed a set of 5 reps of dynamic thumb work with an IM guide gripper.

Total time: 47 minutes

Tomorrow is super extensor work and recovery for what will either be horrendous blob work or 30 + singles with the #3 on Friday.

Did IM red extensor band while at work throughout the day...didn't keep track of reps.

Came home and trained grippers:

30 x #3 singles with a wide set

1 x CCS #3 at the end

1 x IM Guide gripper to failure for dynamic thumb work...27 reps total.

Leaving grippers alone until next week. The extensors feel sore.

I feel that low reps, high intensity aren't working anymore. I read all the time about guys training grip and their hands are trashed afterwards...I never feel that. So I'm ramping up the volume until I get 50-60 quality singles. Tommy Heslep and Joe Kinney performed high reps...maybe I'm one of those guys that need insane volume to get stronger.

I have a horrific TTK and blob workout planned for Saturday.

Stay tuned!!!

• Like 1

Did IM red extensor band while at work throughout the day...didn't keep track of reps.

1 x CCS #3 at the end

I feel that low reps, high intensity aren't working anymore. I read all the time about guys training grip and their hands are trashed afterwards...I never feel that. So I'm ramping up the volume until I get 50-60 quality singles. Tommy Heslep and Joe Kinney performed high reps...maybe I'm one of those guys that need insane volume to get stronger.

Stay tuned!!!

30 IM#3 singles and after that CCS #3 :sick:

I think you are in the wrong gripboardsection with this log. Below on the main page you will find the 'Gods realm' section where you can post these kind of sessions. :grin: but seriously, funny how human bodies are so different. I can not imagine reacting so good on high rep work past let's say 150 lbs grippers.

But wicked stuff going on here.

1 x CCS #3 at the end

Stay tuned!!!

30 IM#3 singles and after that CCS #3 :sick:

I think you are in the wrong gripboardsection with this log. Below on the main page you will find the 'Gods realm' section where you can post these kind of sessions. :grin: but seriously, funny how human bodies are so different. I can not imagine reacting so good on high rep work past let's say 150 lbs grippers.

But wicked stuff going on here.

LOL..thanks for the comments, Geralt...but that's far from God-like!

To give you insight on how this all came about, I've tried everything! KTA, percentage-based training, 3x5, 5x5, baby reps, wide-sets, singles, etc.

Couldn't really gauge what assistance work would help either.

So earlier in the year, I smashed my finger and couple of months later, I ruptured a ligament in my foot. So when I was making gains on the Rolling Thunder, that all came to a halt.

I had a Blob50 that wasn't getting much use. So while I was sitting at my desk at home I'd grab it as if I was going to pick it up but instead, I'd just spin it really hard, trying to complete one full revolution. This I feel, worked my pinch as I forced to pinch it hard to spin it as quickly as possible. With this, I did an insane amount of reps each day...never kept count...just did it until I was tired..take a break and do it some more.

I still couldn't pick up the Blob50 after three weeks of this, but I noticed that hubbing 45lbs on the IM hub was extremely easy.

I got back on the grippers and decided that KTA had allowed me to make tremendous progress before. I started a new run of it, but just kind of did my own thing, just keeping volume extremely high. I'd do ten silver bullet holds followed by 10 overcrushes with a GHP 6 followed by some Blob pinching with a 35 lbs blob.

Then a few days ago, I just went crazy...kept going on singles, fueled by the anger of not having a wrist roller or blob show up at my door. I was good for 35-40 singles easily.

The same thing happened yesterday.

I am tempted to shoot for 35 today, but that's blatantly ignorant...there's always next week :)

• Like 1

Were your hands fried after all those singles?

Honestly...not really. My hands were tired, but nowhere close to what they feel like when I do only like 6 or 7 overcrushes with a GHP 6.

I started to feel some extensor soreness, but my grip wasn't completely shot.

Decided to do my block weight stuff tomorrow...

Today did:

35 x #3 singles with a wide set

1 x #3 CCS

7 x 8 dynamic thumb stuff IM Guide

Hands feel fried now!

Red IM extensor bad 10 x 20

Pushing block weight stuff to tomorrow...bunch of stuff came up and I don't want to rush my training.

Just noticed this log. Glad to see you're back at it Dom. Good luck buddy.

Thanks, Chez! I honestly don't know where these high rep workouts will take me, but I'm hoping that after another week and some decent rest, I'll come back stronger. If not, I'll think of something new to try that I haven't done yet.

Nothing to do at work since my foot is still healing. Decided to do my grippers at work...

40 x #3 wide set singles

This was BRUTAL!!!!!! No chalk this time. I had to waive off three reps as the gripper would slip and I'd miss the close by a few millimeters. The 37th thru 40th rep were horrible! I was grinding each rep the whole way through.

I'm moving to pinch work for a few...I mentally cannot push that far again anytime soon.

Blob work and TTK today.

Will be changing the rep scheme for gripper workouts. Sets of 2 reps will be done vice singles. Will gradually increase volume up to 30-40 reps if I can manage so.

I'm looking to get up to sets of 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets.

When I stall, I'm going to move to a #2 and do1000 reps a day!

Did blob loading with a 35 lbs york blob...

24 x sitting and loading it onto the bench i was sitting on.

Mixed in between those reps were 5 lifts by the face...

How did you hurt your foot? I'm currently dealing with an ankle issue.

I ruptured a ligament between the big toe and toe right next to it playing football after I was forced to go PT. my guess is that I put a tremendous amount of torque on my foot while turning and the ligament could hang.

To give you an idea of how much torque i put on that foot,I ripped the sole clean off a two week old pair of Nike Cortez sneakers during the accident.

Nothing to do at work since my foot is still healing. Decided to do my grippers at work...

40 x #3 wide set singles

This was BRUTAL!!!!!! No chalk this time. I had to waive off three reps as the gripper would slip and I'd miss the close by a few millimeters. The 37th thru 40th rep were horrible! I was grinding each rep the whole way through.

I'm moving to pinch work for a few...I mentally cannot push that far again anytime soon.

:blink

That is insane! How far are you from a CCS on a 3.5? Or an you do that already?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Stephen, before injuring my finger, I had CCS'ed a BBE rated at 173, an RB300 at 170, and I was just over a 1/4" on a #3.5 at 178. I have not tested the #3.5 yet since starting back training. I am extremely strong on the sweep but am weak at the crush.

CC, I have TNS'ed a #3 easily back around October but have never did it for reps. Using an MMS set, I've gotten like 6-7 reps with a 30mm block set.

Sets of reps are good, but for me, I have to set it differently in order to get a lot of reps. This changes the feel of my CCS and it really screws me up.

Trained with the 35lbs blob yesterday...

5x5 while sitting down, picking it up to above my waist.

Late post...hands were still tired so I took it easy.

Silver bullet hold using RB300 @ 170 - 17/18/13/8/5 second holds

CoC #0.5 for ring and pinkie MMS - 3x5

Trained while at work...

#3 with 30mm block set- 12x2

#3 CCS x 1

#0.5 ring and pinkie- 3x6

Dynamic thumb work with Zenith Trainer - 3x15

Trained again while at work today...

Coc#3-15x2 with 30mm block set

#3 feels so squishy when I set it on the first 1-2 sets.

The idea for this week is increasing time under tension via block sets of reps.

Still debating on whether I should do three rep sets next week or do something different...

I have an idea of doing a superset - TNS Z3 followed by CCS #3 followed by silver bullet hold with RB300 with 5 lbs, increasing the sets to total reps of 21/30/39 next week...

Today's training:

Z3 TNS x 5

#3 CCS x 5

#3.5 MMS x 5

TTK w/ 7.5 lbs - 6x8

New IM TTK seems to have a fulcrum point that makes things more difficult. On the old style TTK that I had, I used to do 15 lbs for my sets. 10-15 lbs on this new style...no bueno!

After this week, I'm taking 7-10 days off and then I'm attempting a #3.5 CCS using a gripper that was rated at 182 lbs. I was about 1/4" to 5/16" off with a light warm-up and a poor set.

I have to be close after good rest If I'm real close, I'm going to repeat this cycle using a GHP7 rated at 157.

• Like 1