From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

What a great day yesterday! Best workout so far, visitor collector enjoys history area , Ms D getting ready for the strongman Nationals and just murdering the axle! My recovery has pushed all my set poundages up and pace even though quicker hardly bothered me. The shoulder group is finally coming around and grip is improving as a result! Pop' s gripper night going hard for 5 sets of 10 choke pinches. Blobs were flying a good bit now that they are so easy to get to and orderly. My son was training with the ever growing interested shop crew and all just had a fine time!

Great crowd and workout last night. Lifts still going up ,soreness going down. Shoulder is so much better from band press rehab . Worked with ms D on axle cleans and log work. She did 6 reps with the "single" max weight to be used at the Texas Nationals. I will continue working grippers in all ( regular and Inverse) directions TNS to see how that effects overall grip enhancement. Body weight about 250 and still the cardio , stretch, rehab and breathing turns right into results in strength and grip for me and hopefully others. Hit a full double workout last night( I train 3-4 times per week ) so I will not likely train tonight. A double day is a slightly less intense combo of the first two days of the week training. My reps each workout in grip and lifting still follow a high intensity wave pattern ranging from single days to sets up to 5 in my main exercises and in my assistance work ranges from 5-10 as an inverse of what number of reps my main exercise was done.IE: low reps or singles in bench or say gripper, high reps in Dumbbell press or Pops gripper. Next workout it flips again. No getting stale !

I moved the last 3/4 ton of plates and bars into the grip and history area. After moving 16 old York plates 100yards each my grip and I about had it. I finished out the display area with old bars and bumpers and used the moving as a 4 hour workout. Tonight however the weights will fly. We lined up a row of 5 Circus Bells that have been used through the years at the Arnold Strongman contest and now provide inspiration along with some hefty grip work. Ms. D amazed the crew by just wading through cleans and strongman push presses with dumbbells from 80 through 130, She finished by taking an empty 119lb. Circus training shell and cleaning and pushing it up like she owned it for several single attempts. Her grip is there! Even two handed cleans are difficult on a 3" handle. Body is responding well to rehab, rest, breathing, diet, and regular doses of IRON!

Rounded up a custom bombproof pair of slightly scaled down thick handled Circus Bells for Ms D to practice on for her grip in the strongman/women Nationals.They weigh 80 empty and can be loaded quite heavy. I think I will leave one empty and load one to about 100 to get into some cleans, rows, and high pulls with it. Pretty exciting find these in the storage area! I will beusing them a lot.My workout went real well ,UP another 10lbs across the board in squats, curls, lat pull down ,one hand row and had enough left for 4 way gripper closes and some plate pinches. The inverse position feels so good in the initial squeeze but the end has to be worked on. The more varied your gripper workout the better true hand strength you acquire( with less overuse injuries) didn't' want to but..... the 20 minutes of cardio afterward is quite helpful. Balanced training...the key! Massage today with stretching and plenty of water.

I have been having a great time getting back to lifting bigger weights and discovering some prized early grip equipment. Years ago (1991)in the dayJohn Brookfield and I would get together to train and learn from each other . On the day I first let him try my Blob and Silvercrush grippers there was another piece in the room we toyed with as well.It was a thick, solid steel box with a removable bolt on suitcase type handle. The box had two interchangeable handles and as each success was entered into "its history "another lead ingot was added. This was a one hand deadlift tool with a non revolving handle. The top weight lifted with the 1 3/8 " handle was 600 even, and the top weight lifted on the 2" handle was 457. What memories after all these years! I think the box will be put in the grip history visitor area. The 2" handle remains and box looks cool but the lead was long ago cast into bullets......perhaps our steel disk punchings can be used to refill it.

Pretty charged up from a good weekend of long walks to deer stands and seeing nearly 30 deer. Going to get the group fired up today with newly filled smaller scaled Circus Bells and decided to tote the Iron Mailbox down to be put on using display. Gotta start somewhere going to load this piece of history to a couple of hundred pounds and increase each time the poundage is exceeded. I guess visitors that are successful might sign the box to continue the tradition. Rested well and going to continue to increase in basics and backfill rehab with accessory work. Really getting good results on Diamond extended length trap bar that is able to be used in the rack not only for back/trap work but the best pressing bar I have ever used. It works all three heads of the deltoid at the same time and as an added value due to the neutral grip of the hands the traps are elevated and used during every press movement and get great trap development. Just like the old timers trained ....getting more than one use out of an exercise!

It was the start of the fall in 1962 the Dooomsday clock had ticked down as close to the end of the world because of the a Cuban Missile crisis. I was twelve, working out in my low ceiling cellar ,waiting each month for a new muscle magazine by York or Weider. That was 51 years ago....... over half a century.... Still today the joy of strength training grip experimentation was as new and fresh as I was then. I was first reminded of my grip by my mother as she always warned and complained when I grabbed her hand playfully. My grip training started before then but even in that day I had goals to keep me on track. I couldn't lift overhead( probably couldn't press a 100),and no squat racks yet but ,....boy grip and the deadlift was mine for the taking!. I decided that I would pinch grip deadlift a pair of York 35 Olympic plates in my right hand and a pair of 25s in my left. My secondary goal before the day of my 13th birthday was to deadlift 400. Well, endless trips down those cellar stairs and multiple chips in the basement tile netted me my sacred goals. A half century has passed and last night surrounded by all the assembled grip treasures I decided to try the pinching of the 35s and 25s same as done years ago. Near crippling injuries the past 6 months made it difficult to shut a trainer gripper or even sign my name but ,progress a day at a time just as when I started my quest has worked. Ms. D walked in and I watched her do a few easy singles with the #2 and suddenly became focused. The #2 yielded TNS closes in all four directions and then almost robot like I slid some ancient York plates off the holders and went to pinching. Could I maintain a 51 year run? Is there any reason to stay dedicated and be content as to be as good as I once was? After a half dozen warmup trys the plates responded as they did before ,left the ground ,and locked out. A pretty memorable moment in my career. Dedication to purpose I think is a valued commodity of life. A great workout preceded the grip with numbers still climbing. Life is good! Don't give up..........EVER!

• Like 2

A great night of training and building last night. Designed another rack to bolt on to history display area, moved Iron Mailbox lift box into grip visitor area, did 7 trial workout on a #3 , had good closes in all directions both hands with the TNS 2. My workout was fast and hard. Heavy lat pull down , my heaviest dumbbell rows in past 6 months( from 15 lb, to 134 lb.)last night every set.Diamond trap bar presses finished it out working all areas of shoulder and traps. The shoulder is getting much better and as a result grip is increasing. My plate pinching will continue and the real key I think to my overall success in grip as of late is the choke pinch movements I have been doing on the Pops gripper has given me that thumb strength balance AND dynamic strength. The static strength will be addressed with the Blobs and York Plate pinches. Been some good days!

Like we needed a few more....but finished out the top row anvil storage area in the visitor grip area. Now the Anvil Chorus extends the full length of the rack! Moved another 800 lbs. of York globe dumbbells into the area as well. We moved additionaloverflow to some new storage area at production facility so plenty of good solid used barbell and grip equipment available for anyone swinging through the area. Thinking again about grip I wonder as I did with the first Blob ! just how heavy of a York globe dumbbell can be turned on end palmed pinch gripped and lifted? I think the lightest York Globe bell is a 50 so that will be a starting point. Ok......the big question ,can anyone find and successfully lift the 50 to get the ball rolling? Or is that even possible? Straight down grip no hooking fingers under bell or trying the 1000 ways to bypass gravity ......lets see what can be done!

• Like 1

I had a real nice trip to the AOBS barbell strongman dinner. Greats everywhere Pumping Iron Mike Katz and wrestling ,weightlifting , track star Ken Patera were honored.( only American to ever press 500!) Both really entertaining and down the earth guys. I spent some quality time with about the last of the great York lifters 91, year old Frank Spellman. He gave me all the "being there "info on Stankos great hub gripping and who he thought (and why )of the crew had the truly strongest grip. After the information he related I might well agree. More coming when I get out of this airport. I was really delighted to spend time with some really fine folks of grip, the Corlett brothers. Both as pleasant and supportive of grip and sport as they come. Mike is one big dude and while speaking with him was amazed at the apparent strength in those hands and the hardened by honest , hard grip work finger tips. I guess he was born to hub lift! Other grip greats Denis Rogers, Steve Weiner, Bob Bollenbeck, Slim the Hammerman, Hairculese,andPowerful Pat Povalitis were all there in support. Two stellar bending demos during the day left steel twisted and scattered everywhere. To see pliers bent, 1/2" bolts twisted and steel bars coiled into tight springs was awe inspiring! In all ,a great day to spend with men of true strength!

Still charged up after seeing the greats at the AOBS dinner . It truly was a variety of strength represented and much related to the world of grip. I am having an anvil collector visit today that wants to see the display and collection and perhaps as he requested get a few back into circulation. I did have 10 or so duplicates so perhaps the room will be a half ton lighter.

Another thing that has banged around in my mind to comment on was a conversation I had with Hubgeezers brother John . I never have been much on extra mega vitamins , protein drinks or things like creatine. Any muscle tears, pulls, severe cramps always seemed to happen during the few times I tried creatine. It seemed like it helped with recovery , energy and muscle volume but always resulted in injuries. The point I am getting at that John mentioned the exact same effects when his brother used it as well. I think for all the possible good associated with the product the side effects of cramps, tears, due to dehydration is something we should all consider. Diet, water, stretching, aerobic conditioning, rest, and a varied life and workout schedule seems to be the underlying plan for success with the Iron. Many thanks to Mike and John for their time and great spirit exhibited.

You can do a lot more with an anvil than pound on it!The Anvil Man came by and added to the history of the anvils we have here to salute the first strength star ........a blacksmith with hundreds of years old pieces of now " grip tools" also have quite a history. Towns and countries were built in front of the sweating smithy. Several of the anvils we have are way back in age to the 1700s colonial period and the youngest a mere century old! He took a few prizes with him but still left more seed and the knowledge. Quite an exciting day! I was surprised that for all his years of collecting the heaviest anvil he ever had didn't exceed the big boy here at 441lb. We have to do some research on that one!!!!!!!

A really great day yesterday. A good workout starts in the mind set. All weights have gone up again. The rotator group must have fused back into a mass of scar tissue that somehow is working. I tried to do some higher reps on the one arm dumbbell row and to my amazement the stability and added range of motion allowed easy sets of 25 reps with an 80 lb. dumbbell. I plan on changing the bell to one of our small circus bells to get the added benefit of a thicker handle. Grip went great and I am doing pinch deadlifts and carrys with the 35 lb York plate pair. Around the back with the 25 pair and now being able to shift the 35s back and forth right hand to left. I plan on working the left hand plate pinch up were I can do reps at the same time holding right and left. Years ago in the early 90s I was able to clean a pair of pinched 35s and feel that might be a new worthy goal by the first of the year. I look forward to training and after 6 long months my body is starting to awaken again.

I checked on the big anvil and that 441 lb monster turns out to be a super rare English circa 1910 Peter Wright . Anvil collectors have been quoting amazing prices for recent sales of similar pieces. Myself.... Just glad to have a great part of history to enjoy!

• Like 1

Still another great day of training bench weight went up again, dumbbell weights increased for al sets,band shoulder presses fine tuning the shoulder rehab and grip was strong. York plate pinch deadlifts, pinch and carry, hula transfers, TNS closes 7 singles, and 5x10 pops gripper with choke pinch grip 60 lbs of plates and 4 light red bands. All felt really good. Body weight up a few pounds , taking in more water, small, light meals and the walking and stretching continue. The heavy one arm rows and following back work day of high heavy reps seems to have been the turning point on my regaining my overall strength and stability.

I had a good ,active weekend afield using the better grip , balance and, muscular strength to climb ,walk and just enjoy life in a better way. I have been embracing the wise offerings and newsletters from Mr. Kubik and Hinbern putting out gems of lifting and life for all to benefit from. There is a step by step " normal" plan involved in any success and as our director of operations started "you need some grey at the top" . I do thank the guys that have come full circle and learned from their mentors , blazed their own trails ,and now reach their hand back to help others on their journey. I hope each and every young gripster on this site one day has that same opportunity.

This will be a good week for training getting Ms.D ready for her Texas trip to the the strongman/ women Nationals. She has been thick bar training a bunch and handling the 100 and 125 lb Circus Bells like toys. She has been hitting the grippers some but again hopefully after another strong showing at this contest she will put the 2 and 2.5 away in an official manner and add still another chapter to grip.

I am ready to go on a full week of grip training. Pops, plates, grippers TNS and all directions.

Another great night ...I don't know sometimes what to expect! New lifters and grip folks doing better each workout, and the latest facelift to our interactive grip/ history area. World Champion Highland games and first # official lady CoC Adrianne Wilon came in still with her walking cast to climb a ladder and place pictures of great grip and strength people in history. An original signed letter and photo from Inch, the great Louis Cyr, spike twisting Bull Bovinchin, giant handed boxer Primo camera and one you need to check on Thomas Topham a real king of hand strength were carefully put up with respect. Her husband House a coach ,all around strength athlete, and an avid grip man for years was there helping as well. Creator of our beloved Bosco inspiration Harry Pashall now has a place of honor as well.

Training in strength and grip had again high numbers exceeding my previous 6 months past training bests. I was well enough to raise my one arm dumbbell row to two sets of 30 each arm with a 90lb. Dumbbell. My green light will be soon if I can prove to my self the stability and strength is back in my shoulder group by doing a set of 50 reps with each arm using a 100 lb. bell. Then I know at least in that area I am back. The grippers were done first as TNS singles on each hand then working up to the #2 in all four directions. About 14 sets total.Ab and 20 min aerobic work set me on my happy way home.

• Like 2

I had a good night of benching squatting and grip with what I found might be the ultimate pinch pair of plates.a pair of thick rounded York econo plates from the 1940 war years. They are heavily rounded thick and smooth as glass. Doing ONE of the 50s is hard enough , to pinch a pair..........I don't know WHO could do it!

I found out yesterday our oldest grip visitor and supporter has been ill and was required to be put in the care of a home. Al ,now 88 was hungry and loved his country. The Marines sought him when he said he would fight for food. He got food .....a handful of rice and water out of a body filled bomb crater. His cloths rotted, friends died around him and he was one of 7 left from a force of 250 after his last of three major battles. After he served all his tours he was sent to train in Germany in boxing and worked out side by side with lifting greats Kono, Shemansky, and Sheperd. He returned home to be a community supporter teaching free defence classes and keeping the streets safe under his watchful eye. He made many a thug" drink soup" after greeting their threatening advance with" how's your mother?" ......bang. He would come by many mornings to check if WE had enough to eat and then do his grip and arm workout. Wrist curls, curls, grippers, and rolling newspaper into tight wads was his routine. I think of all the wisdom he shared , the blood he shed for his country to be safe and free for all of us. His picture is the first one we see each morning entering our work place. I hope the time and effort he spent in his life is appreciated.

• Like 2

I really enjoy reading all you say here, not just about your progress (which is great!!), but these things about the AOBS dinner, about the anvils, about Al.... interesting stuff!

Also, you mentioned being able to clean a pair of 35's pinched together many years ago - wow! I wonder who else has done this? Sounds like a terribly difficult feat!

Looking forward to your post when you reveal who had the strongest grip of that particular group of lifters according to Frank Spellman (regarding the AOBS dinner). :)

I hope everyone is reading this thread - especially all you young guys. Here's a guy with something like 50 years of serious training behind him - rehabbing himself from a serious issue and coming back strong. A study of what he's doing is like a graduate course in training oneself when older - and can certainly be learned from for you young bucks as well.

• Like 3

Goal met, I have been visualizing the two sets of 50 one arm rows right and left handed with a 100lb Jackson globe dumbbell and along with squats and heavy diamond trap bar presses at a new high point I went for it! Hard yes , breathing whew, but had even a few more in the tank! Goal planned goal MET!. I think my body is coming back! Not sore as I figured today due to the rehab, regular training bouts and stretching before and after lifting and gripping. Getting another holder made today to facilitate holding paired plates upright for pinch deadlifts.

I have been in contact with some some good folks with requests to add tweaks to several pieces of our equipment. Yes, we do custom work but volume with a fair priced ,good product keeps the doors open. However requests of making a special trainer for Mighty Joe and a custom handled Pops gripper for Chez will come to pass. If others like the ideas great, if not they will have a "one of" piece signed with my good wishes. We have a lot of great people out there and if we try and help to work together and support grip it WILL grow. The negativity, biting the very hands,and making light of the very people that put bread on some of the moguls plates will as I read ....come back to roost.

• Like 1

Not a bit sore from the rows, walked the woods and fields all weekend . Had deer walk up to me festooned in my gillie suit on the edge of a swamp so close I could almost could touch them. Relaxing and reloading the mind is an important part of training. Do fun stuff, whatever it may be but .........plan and do it!

I was out of phone range but found out Ms . D missed winning the national Strongwomen by a scant 1.5 points( a few tenths of a second) we will tune her performance in every technical spot. The strength is there. Also ,her gripper cert goals will be set this week. I hate to see waste in anything......she has a rare gift.......and if it takes a gentle nudge ... OK kick in the pants to do her best it is in the mail!

My rehab continues to get better each day but constant assessment, goal setting and thinking in a creative, adaptive way really works. One of the hunters in the club s a high energy ER doctor and he says most when "hit hard "with an injury " just give up" instead of adjusting and moving forward in ANY capacity possible.

Split fingertips mean the weather is changing OR the plate pinching is going pretty wide open . Everyone after their general workout did plate pinches and the Johnny Cake Hill New Bedford Cobble stone. The 50lb thick dead straight sided York 1940s plates are leaving the ground now with the some using two fingers and thumb ( love those wide pinches) .We the new shop guys and Ms. D were all going at the pinch trying to get down to single finger and thumb lifts on both. We had a great report of Dennis Rogers strongman of stage and TV working on his Pops gripper. With that in mind we finished off with choke pinch sets 5x10 with weight and band combo. I find much better results in the choke pinch grip holding my hands parallel to the handles( one on each side) not at typical right angles to handle. This "side saddle choke" grip allows for good strength transfer to other grip feats and tools.