Grip Nationals Prep Work

jvance

Excellent workout today in spite of lingering cold

302lb R-ring lifts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHHYEZmHcI

185lb right hand axle lift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=183y3lLFgmk

did a volume day with the Euro set at 43mm

7 singles right and left @ 73# held for time (best hold was 8 seconds left and 14 seconds right)

5 singles with 165# (best was 13 seconds)

ring and pinkie lifts at 77.5lb... 3 singles each

also did left and right hand plate curl holds for time (best left 15 seconds; best right 19)

60 millimeters is a good with I'm pitching at 64 millimeters now it was really good resultfor me

60 millimeters is a good with I'm pitching at 64 millimeters now it was really good resultfor me

i like to change the width almost every workout...

decent grip day for a back-to-back session:

pinch at 55mm: 74lbs 5 singles each hand

DO axle for maximum reps in 5 minutes: 6 reps at 320lbs (next week hopefully i'll get eight, once i'm at 10 i'll move up to 325)

plate curl holds: 25lbs add six lbs to the outside and hold for time (5 seconds lefty; 10 seconds righty)

a few other odds and ends like finger lifts for reps with 100lbs (index and middle 5 reps each) and 75 lbs for pinkie and ring (best was 5 reps right hand pinkie)

i like to change the width almost every workout...
Are you hitting the same numbers with each width?

can't say i've tested max output for each width but i definitely have a preference for 50-52mm... i just like to go wider and do a variety of different dynamic stuff. my maxes on 52mm are kinda like a report card every couple weeks to see if i'm being productive

Did a fair amount of training this morning;

3 sets of 5 backbridges; 3 sets of 8 deep pause squats with 215

2" Vbar 165-180 for 5X5 L&R

2HP @ 46mm: 116x3, 126x3, 136x3, 146x3, 156x5

plate holds for time 25# add 5# plate to end

left: 7 seconds

right: 8 seconds

strict plate curls with 35#

left:1x1

right:1x2

all in all did a fair amount of volume without really pushing myself too hard, just trying to build the capacity for more work in the tendons

High volume day grip day plus bodyweight exercises:

I'll list grip movements

Bearhug deadlifts:

215# 3x5

235# 1x5

Ring deadlifts L&R

215: 1x3

255: 1x2

290: 1x1

312: 1x1

322: 1x1

327: 1x1

One hand axle L&R:

165: 1x2

170: 1x1

175: 1x1

190: miss left, right 1 rep

grippers

COC 2.5: 1x3 with 20mm block L&R

COC 3: 1x1 L&R MMS

25# plate curls till failure - lost count

haven't stayed consistent with my PR pinch numbers from a couple weeks ago

i did a number of movements in a rare late night workout last night

max reps on the 140# inch trainer in ten minutes... 15 right/14 left

2hp pinch ten heavy singles - five of which were 184# (made three extra attempts at 194 [last PR]... got great air for two of them.. but couldn't achieve 16.5")

5x5 barbell fatgripz rows @ 145#

3 sets of 35# plate curls till failure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOMbmp3dSM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

Edited by jvance

Did some stone lifting (bearhugs and overhead presses for an hour... also some internal/external wrist rotations with the "thingie" and short hammer

a couple sets of deep squats 225 and some finger lifts till failure (pain tolerance)

4 reps on the sledgehammer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dNBXrW4O4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

PR tracking (which pretty much started this year)

January bests (axle, 2hp, grippers)

303/180/149: 632 (pinch and axle numbers at Chris Rice's gym)

June (NAGS)

323/171/156: 650

Current August max

334/194/156.5: 684.5

September 700??? I will make it happen

Today managed to get a short axle workout in... early.. hate early workouts... still managed a rep PR with low CNS participation :)

330 for 2 solid reps and a partial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TByzg5USW4g&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

didnt get much else in.. a few inch trainer lifts till failure - 2 sets

Yes very good progress. I must do something about my weak axle lifting.

You have made terrific progress on Axle and 2HP in 8 months. Great work man!

Yes very good progress. I must do something about my weak axle lifting.

thanks guys, i've been working my tail off - it has not been easy but i would like to achieve elite numbers in a few years

• 2 weeks later...

bunch of PRs last night at Kody's... not a big deal enough to video just yet but still good

easily maxed my 1hp on his apparatus: 99.6 at 198.6 BW for a .50 of BW 1HP... almost a seven pound PR from last month

jefferson deadlifted 425 and sumo deadlifted 445... steady new deadlifting PRs for me on my journey to 500

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

felt good after a crazy workout last night at Kody's....

did a lot of bodyweight stuff today... more PRs

PR for consecutive backbridges.. 8... up from 5 last week... flexibility much improved

new one hand eagle loop hang PR: 20 seconds right hand/7 seconds with middle and index only

new PR for standing vertical jump: 34 inches - up 2 from last summer; and up 7 from 6 years ago when i first tested vert... almost 28 and getting younger again!!

FINALLY GOT A ONE ARM PUSHUP WITH THE RIGHT ARM - did this for three singles so NO fluke!! (up to five reps with the left): 2 years and 4 days after a COMPLETE pec rupture!!! :grin:

Edited by jvance

That's a very good 1HP. Will be interesting to see how the WR lists will look like after the two major North American grip comps that both will feature the 1HP. The 1HP and the 2HP are quite different beasts for many. Some struggle mightily with one or the other in spite of dedicated training. A real champ should be great at both.

bunch of PRs last night at Kody's... not a big deal enough to video just yet but still good

easily maxed my 1hp on his apparatus: 99.6 at 198.6 BW for a .50 of BW 1HP... almost a seven pound PR from last month

jefferson deadlifted 425 and sumo deadlifted 445... steady new deadlifting PRs for me on my journey to 500

Did some grip today - axle; about 15 singles... last five were 340# (six pound PR from a month or so ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFa-mUn0X6c&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

did some plate curling with 35s... with the right i added five pounds tied to the end of the plate... will get 45# plate curl soon

That's a very good 1HP. Will be interesting to see how the WR lists will look like after the two major North American grip comps that both will feature the 1HP. The 1HP and the 2HP are quite different beasts for many. Some struggle mightily with one or the other in spite of dedicated training. A real champ should be great at both.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the numbers too. I think there should be a some great ones since these contests have been announced for a while - I'd bet most of the competitors are training the 1HP pretty thoroughly. Hopefully I can get my numbers up into the 105 range and maybe get a spot in the top 10... heck top twenty would be good.

PR tracking (which pretty much started this year)

January bests (axle, 2hp, grippers)

303/180/149: 632 (pinch and axle numbers at Chris Rice's gym)

June (NAGS)

323/171/156: 650

Current August max

334/194/156.5: 684.5

September 700??? I will make it happen

Training total as of 5 September (current best training lifts - not necessarily same session): 340/199/156/695

Will turn the chapter to this month having exceeded 700lbs... no doubt about it

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

haven't been posting in a while....

But i assure you i've been working hard

Bodyweight axle hang clean (195): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYu-qG-sdUM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

also PRed with a 2hp 184 for 3 full reps - 3 sets... last set a double

PRs with one hand pinch today as well... did dynamic work sets

Fast taps: L&R 72lbs 1X10; 77lbs 1X10; 82Llbs 1X10; 87lbs 1X10; 92lbs 1X5

92lb fast taps a PR for both left and right

• Like 1

Thin pinch day

Got a ton of volume in... over a hundred per hand easily

at 38mm, 80 pounds came up easily with both hands but 85 stopped my left hand... the right felt like it had another 5-8lb... see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWULNRK-tm4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw