Grip Nationals Prep Work

jvance

gonna keep a log of sorts in preparation for upcoming grip events

this log will probably end up being sporadic; i am not going to lie... however it'll help me keep track of progress

assorted item medley run; mainly pinch - the wide 35s are a PR

cleaning the 48# hex block overhead; i've done it before but, considering i was nearly an hour into the workout i will consider it another PR

• Like 1

the medley stuff looked good. I'd suggest a couple of things:

instead of loading them hit them with both left and right hands. effectively doubles the number of items you have.

load some blocks and such to a higher platform. andrew hasn't said how high the platforms will be and plyo boxes may be used. pulling to lockout and pulling a block above the waist are pretty different feats.

Andrew (and others) have used tall loading boxes in the past and they gave me fits. At the weights used now days (heavy) - I struggle more to lift them that high than to pick them to DL height. Brent is right in suggesting training for them that way. And this year it is left and right hands so you MUST train that left hand equally hard. Print off Andrews Medley list and set it up as best you can - then work on finding what things ruin your ability to do the next thing - this will help you set up the sequence that will let you keep going. Strategy is a huge deal with long Medleys and knowing what has to be done in what order is a critical skill. An example for me is the knowledge that the heavy wrist rotations have to be near the end as they really fry me - this may of may not be the way your body works - but knowing this kind of stuff is important. It's also important to know which items aren't even worth trying and wearing yourself out for the next event.

Good work Jon, I'll be following this thread

thanks Tom, hopefully i'll make some last minute progress

the medley stuff looked good. I'd suggest a couple of things:

instead of loading them hit them with both left and right hands. effectively doubles the number of items you have.

load some blocks and such to a higher platform. andrew hasn't said how high the platforms will be and plyo boxes may be used. pulling to lockout and pulling a block above the waist are pretty different feats.

thanks Brent, definitely have a way to go with the left hand - any proficiency with the right hand will be worthless this year if the left can't do the same...

Andrew (and others) have used tall loading boxes in the past and they gave me fits. At the weights used now days (heavy) - I struggle more to lift them that high than to pick them to DL height. Brent is right in suggesting training for them that way. And this year it is left and right hands so you MUST train that left hand equally hard. Print off Andrews Medley list and set it up as best you can - then work on finding what things ruin your ability to do the next thing - this will help you set up the sequence that will let you keep going. Strategy is a huge deal with long Medleys and knowing what has to be done in what order is a critical skill. An example for me is the knowledge that the heavy wrist rotations have to be near the end as they really fry me - this may of may not be the way your body works - but knowing this kind of stuff is important. It's also important to know which items aren't even worth trying and wearing yourself out for the next event.

thanks Chris, i currently don't have a lot to work with in terms of implements so i was just trying to throw something together... i think i am going to step back and focus on the left handed stuff - so it can get to where my right currently is. I'll need to focus on those hexes and the wide 35s with the lefty - if i can get to that level before the competition i will be pretty happy.

Edited by jvance

another good grip workout today...

band deloaded hex lifting lefty 48#

backward 2 handed wrist curls with empty 2hp device

2x wrist curls with 35# plates - 5 reps L&R

bicep/wrist curls with 4" dumbbell - 38# - 2 sets of 10 reps left and right

2 handed hex blob curls 48# - three fingers with both hands for 5 strict reps

really trying to focus on overall forearm strength with an emphasis on targetting the left hand

also high intensity squats between grip sets

last night's grip workout plus upper body and abs

grip:

technique work/reps on the 2hp brake rotor trainer - 120#x5

- 130#x3

technique work/reps on the 38mm 2hp pinch block -135#x5

-140#x3

-120#x10

"turn the steering wheel" pinch rotations with my 2 wide 45s - 3 half turns with rest between

3 singles each hand GHP 5 - 20mm block speed close

3 singles each hand COC 2 - 20mm block speed close

supported wrist levers with 25# plate x 3 each hand

hops.. then drags till failure with the 50# hex... left hand x 2

holds till failure 50# hex right hand x 2

Edited by jvance

got a extensive workout session in with Kody... too many things were trained to keep track of

main focus was pinch and axle with an emphasis on volume training - hopefully this last minute focus on these two staple lifts will help me out at nats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got a good dead lifting workout in today... trying to strengthen up my posterior chain and legs so i can be more explosive on the axle

all lifts DO on oly bar

warm up

3x3@205#

working

5x5@295#

finisher

1x8@295#

yesterday's grip workout:

rows on the 130# inch trainer

right hand

2 sets of 8 reps

left hand

4 sets of 4 reps

also worked with the wrist thingie and pronated/supinated sledge levers

finished with some speed reps on the GHP 5 @20mm

Edited by jvance

• 4 weeks later...

All in all I would have to say I had a successful first nationals. You wouldn't know it by looking at the results; it was a very competitive weight class. Sean Dockery summed it up best when I couldn't budge 181 on the 2hp: (Doc) "You know what you need to do next time...." (Me) "what?" (Doc) "You gotta get stronger".........

Couldn't have said it better, Doc.

Really got to work on that pinching strength - it really is my Achilles heal in grip. Ended up only pulling 171 after screwing myself over by jumping straight up ten pounds. Missed both tries at getting that weight which really set me back after a good showing with grippers:

Right hand block set PR - 156 coc 3

Left hand narrowly missed 151 and had to settle for a 142 fbbc

Axle was my best event of the day. Opened at a conservative 290 then jumped to 310; already approaching PR territory, I got a solid lift at 316. Finally, I got a good lift of 323 - a big personal best.

The medley went right as planned, however, I may have played it too safe. On the other hand, I got in all the gimme lifts without wasting time attempted harder stuff. Next year I will have to get more aggressive with the left hand because 20 points is not competitive enough to place at nationals.

Finally, the wrist roller was pretty fun. I got my strategy and technique down by watching Shayne Scantland smoke it in 10.5 seconds at a BW in the 160s. Pretty much gotta come out the gate as fast as you can and keep it moving. I finished around the same time as Shayne which I was very happy to keep it at 10. Andrew Durniat, of course, had the blistering time of the day in well under 8 seconds.

Again, thanks to Andrew, Chris, Doc, Maryanne and all the others who organized and ran the contest. Thanks also to my training partners Kody and Shayne for pushing and motivating me to get better. Of course, gotta thank my wife Krystal for being there and supporting me through the whole thing - she's the best.

Thanks Tom, it was a great contest. You should come out next year.

Nice pull, Jon! You did some very fine lifting Saturday. Hope to see ya next year.

Nice pull, Jon! You did some very fine lifting Saturday. Hope to see ya next year.

Thanks Eric, your performance will go down in grip history as one of the finest ever. Congrats on the WRs and Diesel award.

• Like 1

I know I haven't been keeping up this log real well, but since Nationals I want to get back at the grippers and get after the 3 cert (and MM ladder)....

so I started back on KTA, and, true to form, I've already hit a PR on day three and got level 15 on the vulcan - both right and left handed...

only got the right hand on video though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpD77jgxbU

hit some oly deads yesterday with KTA/week1 and today did more KTA with some BW training

warm-up trap bar

2 sets of 5 @ 225

working

3 sets of 5 @ 335

sumo oly bar

working

3 sets of 5 @ 335

*last set dropped the bar @ 4 :(... all in all good volume training

KTA - working with my 184 3.5 for smooth negatives and a 125 2.5/vulcan L12 for overcrushes

hands feel good so far :)

• Like 1

Nice work! Saw your close level 15 in your yt channel. You posted about tendinitis a while ago. No problems with that right now? In the way KTA

together with other training. Keep it up!

• Like 1

day off from KTA...

....which means i should be taking a day off from grip

didn't happen

pretty good PR lift on the Inch trainer left handed and hex block right handed:

Nice work! Saw your close level 15 in your yt channel. You posted about tendinitis a while ago. No problems with that right now? In the way KTA

together with other training. Keep it up!

thanks man, i get lingering soreness in my wrist tendons from time to time... but i'm getting smarter at managing pain flare-ups

Jedd's tendinitis strategies work well; as does Armaid, regular contrasts and epsom salt baths... those Mcdavid elbow sleeves are great as well :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did a good bit of volume today between pinch and anvil lifting

Can't remember the exact numbers but I did 30 singles left and right on the 1hp @72lbs before making some max attempts with the right... left was good for 82.2

the right, per the videos below; was almost good for 98.2 and got a solid rep with 93

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HcCAzpj7IU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaO9xRBYmec&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

short term goal is to break 100 on this thing

also did about 30 singles left and right on my loadable anvil @ 140+/-2#

Edited by jvance

• 2 weeks later...

Did some light grip today in preparation for a big pinch/pull day at Kody's

Did some 1hp swings at 63lbs +/- 2lb (2 sets each @35mm and 60mm)

1hp machine gun taps at 52mm 1X20@63# (L&R);1X12 @73#

also messed with lighter grippers at various set widths

finally did some testing with Chris Rice coin lift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKHWKlDuSP4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrFUbMC07Ui9wDvFvYFYYw

shoot... i hate being sick

managed to play around with some finger lifts on the eagle loops... around 100# for each finger except pinkie (80)..

on the bright side i got a PR five reps on the inch trainer loaded to 140... three with the left

How has your home made 2hp been treating you?

How has your home made 2hp been treating you?

Not bad... I made a new one to spec when i was down at my father-in-law's shop in MS... the old brake rotor piece has been dismantled and i use it to pass around the body... so far my best was 12 rotations (weighs a very slick 51 lbs at 60mm)