Training For Grip Nationals 2013

EricMilfeld

Eric,

My best mile in high school was 4:40.2. I had so little improvement in junior college I don't like to disclose that. No way I could have run 5:20 before the age of 14. I ran 5:25 at age 15, which was the year I started.

My son weighed in at 217.5 this morning, so he did in fact drop 8 lbs. in 24 hours. My wife read about it on Facebook. He is probably eating like a pig in some restaurant right now. He seems to have the last few days down pat. But with his weight, not the same situation as yours.

Eric,

My best mile in high school was 4:40.2. I had so little improvement in junior college I don't like to disclose that. No way I could have run 5:20 before the age of 14. I ran 5:25 at age 15, which was the year I started.

My son weighed in at 217.5 this morning, so he did in fact drop 8 lbs. in 24 hours. My wife read about it on Facebook. He is probably eating like a pig in some restaurant right now. He seems to have the last few days down pat. But with his weight, not the same situation as yours.

That's a fast time!

I remember 24 hour weigh-ins. Helped immensely, needless to say. The occasional power meet I do now is in the USAPL, which has only a 2 hour weigh-in, which I'm in favor of. But good deal about your son making it! I wish him the best of luck. Let me know how he does at the meet, if you don't mind.

IM Hub with 50.7 Pounds

- did 3 singles each hand

- did a single suitcase deadlift with 155 per hand on the 100# plate rim lift (max effort for my left hand)

25# Plate Wrist Curls

- right, x17

- left, x22

I am 168.9 this morning.:)

Your wife is angry with you Eric because she feels you make her look fat, trust me.

I am 168.9 this morning. :)

Your wife is angry with you Eric because she feels you make her look fat, trust me.

Words of wisdom, Mikael. That would explain her dieting the last couple of weeks.

You're on a roll with the weight loss now.

2.5 scoops of protein powder

apple

6oz. of V-8

1/3 cup of peanuts

4oz. tilapia

can of spinach

banana

sugar-free Red Bull

Same with mine; sit ups, etc, etc, started a couple of months ago.

Yes, I lost a fair bit over the last couple of days. Workout went well, both axle and pinch up (very) slightly.

Body weight: 169.2 (almost caught you)

- bent a 3/8 x6 threaded rod to 45 degrees reverse grip

- did a 10 second time with each hand on a 235 pound olympic dumbbell

- picked up 105 pounds with each forefinger using the FBBC loading pin

- ran up and walked down a very steep 20 meter embankment 10 times

I remember 24 hour weigh-ins. Helped immensely, needless to say. The occasional power meet I do now is in the USAPL, which has only a 2 hour weigh-in, which I'm in favor of. But good deal about your son making it! I wish him the best of luck. Let me know how he does at the meet, if you don't mind.

He did well. Pulled off getting his "elite" status with a total of 1564 or 1565 (needed 1551.5). Got 628 lbs. on his last deadlift (by far his best event), to put him past the elite total level he had already achieved with his second deadlift.

He had the benefit of getting a good night's sleep after "making weight" yesterday morning. No way could he had pulled that off if he was to lift removing all that water out of him.

Wow, that's great that he totalled Elite! Congrats to your son.

skinless chicken breast

half can of green beans

banana

6oz. V-8

1 scoop of protein powder

4oz. tilapia with salsa

peanut butter Cliff Bar

Body weight: 169.2

HIT

- 12 minutes of rope jumping, jumping jacks, and pushups

He did well. Pulled off getting his "elite" status with a total of 1564 or 1565 (needed 1551.5). Got 628 lbs. on his last deadlift (by far his best event), to put him past the elite total level he had already achieved with his second deadlift.

He had the benefit of getting a good night's sleep after "making weight" yesterday morning. No way could he had pulled that off if he was to lift removing all that water out of him.

Congratulations to him! Any idea what his weight actually was at contest time - I have heard of some amazing losses and gained in that 24 hour weigh in time frame scenario in PL.

from Genghis grill: bowl of brown rice, calamari, shrimp, veggies, and peppers

banana

bowl of assorted veggies with salsa

13 tiny crackers with salsa

sugar-free Red Bull

tablespoon of honey

1 scoop of protein powder

7oz. tuna with salsa

Here I am trying to eat to get up towards the higher end of my weight class, and you're doing the exact opposite!!!

By the way, from what I can tell from my training - higher BW, definitely does not necessarily mean an increase in grip strength. I'm sure you knew that, but just sayin'.

Here I am trying to eat to get up towards the higher end of my weight class, and you're doing the exact opposite!!!

By the way, from what I can tell from my training - higher BW, definitely does not necessarily mean an increase in grip strength. I'm sure you knew that, but just sayin'.

I bet you're having much more enjoyment trying to reach your goal. :getlost:

The word "necessarily" in your quote is the operative word. Weight gain via fat increase would certainly not increase grip strength. Weight gain because you started training squats would have no direct impact on your grip strength, unless this was a means to an increase in testosterone production. But weight gain coinciding with increased forearm muscle is a different story. And I do know this, if you started to diet, even slowly and sensibly, while you continued to train grip you would eventually get to a point where your grip strength starts to fade. Hand thickness changes due to body weight changes will also factor in to performance.

Using myself as an example: As I drop in body weight from roughly 200 pounds my grip strength decreases. But if I was to bulk up to 230 pounds I would expect little if any increase in grip strength. Of course, the specific numbers will be different for everyone. Right now I'm at a body weight (169) where maintaining the amount of forearm musculature I had at even 190 pounds is simply not possible.

Body weight: 169.4

Chinups: 75x4

2" Loadable Dumbbell

Right: 167 for 5 singles

Left: 170 for 5 singles

Hammers To Nose

Right: loaded up my 33" handle to 16.3 and did a single

Left: 12x4

- then did some dynamic thumb work with a spring clamp (to allow my thumb webbing to heal up)

- ran 1.5 miles

3 scoops protein powder

3 tablespoons honey

banana

6oz. V-8

cup of green beans

7oz. tuna with salsa

half dozen small crackers

- did some more dynamic thumb work with spring clamps

- 25.3 pound plate curls x20 each hand

- 16 pullups from the IM axle

300 chinups?? Thats some volume.

Oh, no way, that was 75 pounds of added weight for 4 reps.

Just before bed this morning I did a few gripper no-sets and bent a 5/16 x 6" piece of steel, reverse grip in 1" pads.

body weight: 169.4

- swam laps

tablespoon honey

6oz. cod with salsa

apple

banana

1/3 cup trail mix

1.5 scoops protein powder

sugar-free Red Bull

- only an 800 calorie day

body weight: 168.6

Grippers

Right

155x1 (20mm block set)

159 missed by a sixteenth with 20mm block set

141x9 (opening up gripper about a half inch between reps, with a 5 second overcrush on the last rep)

Left

134x2 (20mm block set)

141x1 (20mm block set) PR!

112x10 (passing block through handles on each rep, with a 5 second overcrush on last rep)

7oz. tuna with salsa

tablespoon of honey

6oz. Greek yogurt

apple

6oz. V-8

1/3 cup trail mix

sugar-free Red Bull

2.5 scoops protein powder

easy 5# to go. no problem. imagine how strong you'll feel after weighing in and eating.

easy 5# to go. no problem. imagine how strong you'll feel after weighing in and eating.

Yes, sir. I was starting to get a little frustrated when my weight got stuck for several days. I will weigh even less today when I stand on the scale, but first I'm going to go do my last pinch block, axle, and wrist roller workout.

Body weight: 167.2

I heard that hub lifting burns tons of fat in your fingers. May reduce your weight by a few grams. Anyone going to the fitexpo in June?

I did not know that. Learn something new every day. Lol. And I guess I'm outside the loop, but where's the expo?

Euro Pinch

188.6 x1

172.6 x5

Axle

323.6 x1

313.4 x3

Wrist Roller

167.5 x1

Hammers

Right: 17# on 33" handle for 2 singles

IM Hub

Right: 48.2 x4