Training For Grip Nationals 2013

EricMilfeld

Ah, my home state. Yeah, I read you might be goin' out there to give a hub tutorial. Hope you can make it, Zach.

Congratulations to him! Any idea what his weight actually was at contest time - I have heard of some amazing losses and gained in that 24 hour weigh in time frame scenario in PL.

He was about 225 the day before. Got his 8 lbs. loss in one day (he has it down). Weighed 217.5 (Could have been 220.4 to make the 220). Ate and drank like a pig on Saturday after weigh-in. On competition day (Sunday) weighed 230 lbs. Weighs 235 now. Would like to go down to 215 "real" and go back to BJJ in the 208 weight class. Personally, I think he "should" weigh 200 and look great.

tablespoon of honey

3 skinless chicken legs with a few vegetables

apple

2.5 scoops protein powder

6oz. V-8

sugar-free Red Bull

1/3 cup trail mix

Body weight: 166.6

I lost 0.3k this week, from 76.6 to 76.3k (168.2).

Eating day today so I am desperately looking for the beacon.

I had a look at my workouts over the last couple of years and my 2HP training max has fluctuated between 85-92k. The form largely alternates between longer periods of strength followed by a period of relative weakness, basically a sigmoidal curve.

I started my diet when I was at the bottom of this curve, I. e., I maxed out at 85k at a bodyweight of 83k.

This time it is different. Even though I train with more volume (which in the past tend to produce gains) I am not taking off towards 92k as I normally would. Instead it has been a painfully slow process, over several months gaining from 85 to 86k. This indicates that 74k is indeed my ideal competition weight and that I should not try to push it any further (i.e., the 66k class).

Thanks, Yori! I was so happy about the weight loss that I celebrated with a feast: 6oz. piece of cod with salsa, tablespoon of honey, four Cliff Bars, two hand-fulls of peanuts, a hand-full of trail mix, half a bag of baked potato chips with salsa, and a quarter bag of whole grain chips with salsa. Was the most energetic in two months after my little feast. Then throughout the remainder of the day I had two sugar-free Red Bulls, an apple, a 6oz. V-8, and 1 1/2 scoops of protein powder.

Mikael, it will be interesting to see if you lose any strength as you drip the remaining 5 pounds. Were it not for the disappearing act my pinch played on me I'd be pretty content with my grip at 74k, but I'm obviously best suited for 83k. I don't think I reached my potential at 83k, so I look forward to returning to it for some personal best performances, perhaps leaner and more grip-specialized than I was the last time I competed at that weight. These last two months have been rather hellish: always hungry, frequently dizzy and weak, and obsessively thinking about food, diet, and body weight all day. Not fun. But I'm glad I did it and have gleaned a good bit of knowledge in the process.

Gained all my weight back after piggin' out yesterday: 169.4

Grippers

Right

155x1 with 5 second overcrush

134x3 no-sets

141x15 baby reps

Left

141x1 parallel set

134x2x2 with a 5 second overcrush on last rep of second set

2.5 scoops protein powder

7oz. tuna with salsa

apple

6oz. V-8

1/3 cup trail mix

banana

6oz. Greek yogurt

tablespoon of honey

Body weight: 167.8

Last Workout:

Chinups:

-85# x3 (PR, but of course I'm light as a feather)

Wooden Pinch Block Covered in Very Slick Tape (to save skin):

-115# for about a dozen singles

2" Plate Loadable Dumbbell

Right: 161x3 (2 sets)

Left: 161x5 (2 sets)

- ran 1.5 miles

awesome watching this log bro. in my opinion, training to get at, or maintain a low bw, added with keeping strength up for competition is the most grueling way to train.

i would say good luck, but you wont need it. smash those records homie!! :mosher:rock

Thanks, buddy! This has actually been one of the most physically and mentally demanding things I've ever undertaken. I wouldn't choose to repeat it.

And I've certainly learned a new level of respect for what a lot of the lighter guys have been doing in grip. My traveling companion for Nationals, Michael Hann, will not let anyone walk away with any records or titles in our weight class without a fierce battle, though. Darrin and Shane will be very tough competitors, as well! I'm just gonna go, give it my best, and enjoy the competition and camaraderie.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the 74k records being painted over in a week.

Really bummed that I can't go, but hope to make the trip with you guys next year.

Your dedication with your diet and training recently has been great to see. Can't wait to see the results of your hard work at nationals.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the 74k records being painted over in a week.

Really bummed that I can't go, but hope to make the trip with you guys next year.

Hope nothing... you ARE going next year, Yori. Maybe we could get a group of us going next year...

Your dedication with your diet and training recently has been great to see. Can't wait to see the results of your hard work at nationals.

Thank you, Stephen! And I can't wait to taste something besides fish and vegetables. Lol. Tommy and I were talking about your recent bending exploits only yesterday. Nice work, man!

Body weight: 167.8

Went for Thai food and had a bowl of chicken, veggies, and curry with a side of white rice.

apple

2 tablespoons of honey

7oz. tuna with salsa

1/3 cup peanuts

sugar-free Red Bull

2 scoops of protein powder

- just now did some HIT: ran up and walked down a very steep 25 yard concrete freeway embankment 5 times, rested, and repeated

Your training is looking super strong Eric! Excited for you and the records in that weight class are in some seeeeeeeerious trouble buddy. :ph34r:

Your training is looking super strong Eric! Excited for you and the records in that weight class are in some seeeeeeeerious trouble buddy. :ph34r:

Thanks a bunch, Ben!

Eric, I know you made the weight and I'll bet you have strength to spare after ripping up the 74.

You've been training for this hard, I hope to hear some great news afterwards.

Make sure you go eat a cow after the comp. you owe it to yourself.

I'm copying my post from the contest thread here to cap off this journal:

To say that I exceeded my expectations is an understatement. Losing 29 pounds in less than two months (I weighed in at 161), starting from an already low fat percentage, and trying to maintain some semblance of grip strength proved to be the greatest physical challenge of my life. I was even running, spitting, and blasting the heater of my car to make weight the morning of the contest. Of all the athletic goals I've been fortunate enough to achieve, what I accomplished Saturday is by far the one I'm proudest of. I often questioned my own sanity in continuing with my quest. I was literally hungry and light-headed for over seven weeks. Often, even standing up was a chore. I'm sure it was not the healthiest thing I ever chose to do. But despite my workouts often being occasions for major disappointment as my energy levels tanked, it somehow all came together in the end. Perhaps replenishing my body for the two hours between weigh-ins and the start of grippers was enough to finally tap into my strength reserves. I don't know. But I can't help but feel I shouldn't have been able to do what I did. I'm overwhelmed and humbled. Thanks to all those who supported me with words of encouragement along the way. You guys believed in my abilities way more than I did.

Okay, the contest: First off, it was great meeting all the guys from the Gripboard in person. Kody is the nicest, most unassuming and humble world class athlete you could ever meet. I really enjoyed talking with you, man. Your'e accomplishments and the way you carry yourself are an inspiration to me and a great endorsement for the sport of grip. Talk about pound for pound strength! Eric Roussin, I was delighted to discover that the approachability, intelligence, and just all around friendly disposition I saw in your videos is simply a reflection of the real you. Loved talking with you about arm wrestling and everything else! Darrin Shallman, I don't think he's a board member here, but the guy's enthusiasm is contagious. Super friendly and positive guy! He's got tons of strength in those hands, and if his fingers were even close to as long as mine I could have been in serious trouble. Andrew, great job!!! I know what's involved in hosting a local meet AND competing in it, so to do that with Nationals like you did is a stellar feat. Thanks so much for all your hard work and being a great grip ambassador. Chris and Doc, you guys were tireless. Much appreciated! Mary Ann (spelling?), thanks for putting up with all my questions and doing a fantastic job of keeping up with the most important job of the day: scorekeeping!

By the way, anyone who's interested in seeing the specifics of how I trained and dieted for the past couple months are welcome to check out my log here on the board. This experiment was a learning experience for me and hopefully might contain something that could prove beneficial for someone else.

Grippers: Both right and left hand closes were personal bests for me with a 20mm block set (156 and change and 141 and change), regardless of body weight. Missed by 1/32" a 161 righty Elite close. My one miss of the day.

Pinch: I was holding out hope for a high 180s pinch after my pinch workouts fell apart as my bodyweight fell into the mid 170s. My Euro has a better texture than the freshly cleaned ones (great idea, btw) at Nationals. So, how I pulled 200 I'll never know.

Axle: Pulls in the low 320s range were feeling very heavy recently in training. I nailed 343 at the contest... makes no sense. This was probably the lift I was proudest of. I think it ties my best in the 183 class.

Medley: I had the strength to lift several more items that I overlooked or simply didn't have the time to try, but this was a medley of speed, strategy, and endurance. Freakin' awesome medley! Loved it. Very happy with my performance.

Wrist Roller: Great event. I trained it hard, and feel it paid off. I saw a lot of mind-boggling times on the event.

I have no right to regret anything about my performance, but I will say that had I an inkling of my capabilities Saturday, I would have been less "timid" in my weight choices and probably could have gone a bit heavier on axle and pinch. But right now I don't care, and think I may have just completed my one perfect contest performance.

Oh, wait till you see what Andrew gave me to hold for a year as the winner of the Diesel Award! Epic.

• Like 2

Really proud of you man. I would've bought you many burgers had I been there to celebrate!

...And by the way, your Axle pull is out of this world!

BWx2.13!!! I believe this to be the best performance yet, pound for pound.

Really proud of you man. I would've bought you many burgers had I been there to celebrate!

...And by the way, your Axle pull is out of this world!

BWx2.13!!! I believe this to be the best performance yet, pound for pound.

Thanks, Yori! Your burgers I would have gladly eaten. Yesterday on the way back was funny. First we stopped at Taco Bell where I got these two giant burritos. A little more driving, and I hit Dairy Queen for a large strawberry malt and chicken nuggets. But they had no nuggets, so I drove up the street to McDonald's for my 20 chicken nuggets. Michael got a kick out of that. I actually weigh 179 today. When we got to the after-party at Paul's I went bonkers with the chow: 2 pieces of chocolate cake, several cupcakes, two beers, moonshine, cheese and crackers, bowl of chili, potato chips, several steak and chicken fajitas, and I forget what else.

Yeah, I was hoping to barely make a double body weight pull, so I far exceeded my goal there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This log should go on.

You could maybe get the name changed and keep it updated with your training.

This log should go on.

You could maybe get the name changed and keep it updated with your training.

I might start a new one, but I've never really liked logging my workouts unless I'm focused on a particular goal or trying out a new routine. I do have some goals for the year, though: MM2 cert and improve on my best gripper, axle, and pinch in the 83k class.