Rocky 7: The Menopause Years

Vanessa

When she did the pull ups, it was 22 total reps, not just one set of 22 reps.

I'm glad - don't want her getting better than me at them :P

• Like 1

Jan 31: Leg day

Leg Press:

105x10

120x8

135x8

Leg Curl:

40x10

45x10

50x10

Kick back:

20x10

25x10

30x10

Up 5lbs from last week/go up in wt next wk

Back extensions:

3x15 reps with 10lb wt

Personal Brag!!!: One month ago I started going to the gym with my son, dpc. The second time there he had me try the heavy cardio ropes. I could only get 1/2 the rope off the ground and in motion. I did it twice for about 10 sec each time. Today he had me do them again...I didn't want to, but I did. I had not done them for one month. I was able to get both ropes all the way off the ground and in motion for 20 seconds!!!! I did this 4 times and I loved it! Kicked my ass, but I loved it. Thank you Dylan! That made me feel great! I am actually getting stronger!

• Like 1

I just wanted to say congrats on getting into the gym and getting to work. Looks like you are doing great work so far. The endorphins that come with hard training and getting PR's are pretty awesome and even little improvements add up to very big changes in the long run. Keep up the good work.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that the Romanian would be better for the ankles than the standard deadlift, but I'm nowhere close to any sort of expert on the subject, so someone might have better info on that. Here's a couple links to help explain it though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/romanian-deadlift

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2641871&page=1

Hope that helps. Good luck with your training.

• Like 1

The issue with her ankle isn't about health or safety, it's about flexibility. She is missing the ball bone in her ankle, so basically her foot and leg are kinda fused together. You wouldn't notice it if she was walking around, but if she starts to do a squat, it reaches a point where her heel comes off the floor. The reason for that is because there is no flexibility due to the fact that there is basically no joint in there.

To do a deadlift, she has to reach down and grab the bar, and she can't do that. If she gets all the way down and grabs the bar, her heel is wayyyy off the floor, and that's just not safe. She can probably do a rackpull where the bar is around her knee, or a little higher, She can reach that before her heel comes up.

With the RDL, you don't bend at the ankles, you bend at the waist. So her ankle never becomes a problem. It's kinda hard to explain and describe her ankle issue because it's unique to her and none of us can really appreciate what it's like. If I could get her to do a deadlift or squat I so would, it's just never going to happen.

The issue with her ankle isn't about health or safety, it's about flexibility. She is missing the ball bone in her ankle, so basically her foot and leg are kinda fused together. You wouldn't notice it if she was walking around, but if she starts to do a squat, it reaches a point where her heel comes off the floor. The reason for that is because there is no flexibility due to the fact that there is basically no joint in there.

To do a deadlift, she has to reach down and grab the bar, and she can't do that. If she gets all the way down and grabs the bar, her heel is wayyyy off the floor, and that's just not safe. She can probably do a rackpull where the bar is around her knee, or a little higher, She can reach that before her heel comes up.

With the RDL, you don't bend at the ankles, you bend at the waist. So her ankle never becomes a problem. It's kinda hard to explain and describe her ankle issue because it's unique to her and none of us can really appreciate what it's like. If I could get her to do a deadlift or squat I so would, it's just never going to happen.

Have you tried Sumo DL? Doesn't seem like much if any ankle flexion would be required with a wide sumo where you try to keep your shins vertical.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Thank you Aaron and Tex! It is so great for me to receive this input and listen to what you guys have to say. As always, thank you to my son dpc. I am going to check out those links and have Dylan explain a Sumo DL is. Now I really need to work on my diet!

Just be careful with any lunge style movements or romanian deadlifts etc - you don't want to lose balance and end up putting extreme weight on your ankle. Rack pulls and the sumo squats seem like the best idea.

• Like 1

What about rack pulls? Or cleans from an elevated starting position, like with the bar up on boxes?

Maybe you could do rack pulls, but from lower than normal, as low as you can get to the ground before flexibility becomes an issue.

Edited by Mephistopholes
  • Like 1

Feb 3: Push day

Push ups: 20 modified

DB shoulder press:

10x12

10x12

10x12

15x10

DB side raise:

8x12x3 reps

Front DB raise:

10x12x2 reps; 15x12x1

Tricep extensions:

40x10x1; 50x10x2

Cardio ropes x 2 x 20 seconds

Stairmaster: 7 min; level 6

2/4/13: Pull Day

Assisted pull ups; 23 (10,5,5,3) @ 120lb assist

Pull downs:

55x12

60x12

65x10

DB row:

2 sets 10x10; 15x20

Face pulls:

2 sets 50x15; 60x20

Vanessa, are there exercise bands at the gym you train at? If so I suggest you loop them around them around the pull-up bar and put your foot through the other end to give you a boost up instead of use the assist machine. It is a more natural motion with the bands, and helps you where you will be weakest.

• Like 1

Vanessa, are there exercise bands at the gym you train at? If so I suggest you loop them around them around the pull-up bar and put your foot through the other end to give you a boost up instead of use the assist machine. It is a more natural motion with the bands, and helps you where you will be weakest.

I'll answer this because I'm awake and she's not. And I'm bored. And I know better than her.

I don't think there are bands. I've never seen any, but the trainers do have a special little area that might ahve some, but we aren't allowed to touch any of the equipment. And idk if my mom could do it even with the band.

I'll answer this because I'm awake and she's not. And I'm bored. And I know better than her.

I don't think there are bands. I've never seen any, but the trainers do have a special little area that might ahve some, but we aren't allowed to touch any of the equipment. And idk if my mom could do it even with the band.

I learnt one-arm pull ups by just focusing on the negatives, learning to lower myself slower and slower without ever actually attempting the concentric part of the move. After a while I tested it and BAM! She could do the same with the double-handed version.

• Like 1

Pulling fo ryou to stick with it and accomplish your goals!

• Like 1

Jedd and GetaGrip...Thank you. You guys that comment, give me hints and give me encouragement keep me going. I had a rough couple of workouts, but yesterday went much better. As always, thank you dylan and matt. So here's yesterdays workout...First though, I apparently am not listing my workouts correctly. So prs; pounds. reps, sets

2/6/13: Leg press

105x10x1

120x8x1

135x8x1

Leg Curl:

40x10x1

45x10x1

50x15x1

Kickbacks:

25x10x1

30x10x1

40x10x1

(go up next week on kickbacks)

Sidebends: 25x12x2

Prowler x 2

So I'm in San Diego now and I cannot slack off. I'll be at the gym tomorrow.

• Like 1

Jan 10th Push day:

Chest press:45x10x1; 50x10x1; 60x6x1

DB shoulder press: 10x12x1; 15x10x2

DB side raise: 8x10x1; 8x12x1; 8x15x1

Front DB raise: 10x12x1; 15x12x2

Tricep extension: 40x10x1; 50x10x2

Side bends: 25x12x3

Stairmaster: Level 9 x 10 min

In San Diego and the gym I went to really leaves a lot to be desired. The one I belong to in Minneapolis is much nicer. Heck, two out of three of the H2O fountains didn't even work. So, absolutely nowhere to do push ups. If there hadn't been a class going in the yoga room I could have used it, but otherwise no place to do them. Did the chest press instead, but once again I didn't like the only machine they had to do them. The bar was weird and I felt like I was too short to do them properly. Sucked. Going to try a different gym on Tue.

Now you see why most machines suck.

Just do the push ups. Anywhere. If there was floor space then you can do push ups. Do them inbetween machines or in walk ways. Do them in the lobby. The locker room. Anywhere. Hell you're in San Diego, go outside and do them .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slacking on posting and I can't do that. I'm still in San Diego and I really hate this gym.

Feb 13: pull day:

Pull downs: 50x12x1; 62.5x14x2; 75x9x1

DB row: 10x12x2; 15x17x1

Face pulls: 40x15x1; 45x12x1; 50x10x1

DB curls: 10x12x2; 15x15x1

Elliptical: 15 min

Feb 15: Took a 2 mile walk at a brisk pace

Feb 17: Legs

Leg press:

100x12x1; 120x10x1; 130x10x1

Leg Curl:

40x10x1; 50x10x1; 60x8x1

Kickbacks:

25x10x1; 30x10x1; 40x10x1

Back extension:

15x3x3 with 10lb wt

Edited by Vanessa

2/24 Push:

20 assisted push ups

DB shoulder press:

10x12x1; 15x12x2

DB side raise:

10x10x2; 10x15x1

(did these one arm at a time. normally I would use 8lb wts, but none were available)

Front DB raise:

10x12x1; 15x12x2

Need to get home so that dpc can whip me into shape!