Tom's Training

Tom Scibelli

Are you running 5/3/1? If so, how long?

Yeah I am, I started it back in October for the axle. Started with a training max of 295 and I'm on 330 now, I just moved up 5lbs each month. Whenever I start to stall with the axle I'm planning on running it with a 2.5'' bar for a while then come back to the axle to see if there's any carryover.

Yeah I am

For your regular lifting as well?

I ran 5/3/1 for 10 months, I could rep out weights impressively but my limit strength went nowhere. Which version are you implementing and what are your thoughts on it effectiveness and the applications to grip strength.

Are you still working the Rolling Thunder?

Yeah I am

For your regular lifting as well?

I ran 5/3/1 for 10 months, I could rep out weights impressively but my limit strength went nowhere. Which version are you implementing and what are your thoughts on it effectiveness and the applications to grip strength.

Are you still working the Rolling Thunder?

5/3/1 has always seemed to work for me. I'm doing the 3/5/1 version now, I use it for squat, bench and military press and instead of regular deadlifts, I've substituted DO axle DLs. I've also been using it recently for 2HP and grippers and I feel like it's working and I'm getting stronger. 5/3/1 might not be the best type of training, but I'm the kind of person that just likes to have a program to follow and then execute it, it kind of take the thinking out of it for me.

No I haven't worked the RT in a long time. I think I can get stronger with thick bar on the axle and I think it will transfer to the RT.

Edited by Tom Scibelli
  • Like 1

3/6/14 2HP: 14X123
Is that a big jump in reps at this weight?

5's week? Do you do singles after the work sets?

What do you normally train with 2HP, regular gym lifts and accessories?

3/6/14 2HP: 14X123
Is that a big jump in reps at this weight?

5's week? Do you do singles after the work sets?

What do you normally train with 2HP, regular gym lifts and accessories?

Thanks Josh, this was my 5's week, it was feeling pretty good, the 2HP lesson from Chris Rice made a world of difference. I usually don't do singles, to me I feel like I can build my strength through reps and then test my max out at a contest or in my gym if it's been a while. My workout for this day was 1a. Bench Press, 1b. Db rows, 2a. 2HP, 2b. Trap bar military press, 3. DB curls.

3/11/14

Grippers:4xGNC250 (rgc144), 1xMM1 replica (rgc 152)-got this with both hand, this was pr for my left hand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back at after a de-load week.

3/22/14

2HP: 8X135

My boys hit a milestone today, both doing 20 chin-up/pull-ups. They've been working for a couple of months to get this:

• Like 4

3/22/14

My boys hit a milestone today, both doing 20 chin-up/pull-ups. They've been working for a couple of months to get this:

This is awesome stuff. Strong kids!

• Like 1

3/22/14

Strong kids! Pretty sick endurance!

• Like 1

Very cool Tom! I like how they cheer each other on.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, my oldest especially had to train hard to get this, when he first started he could only do 4 reps.

Not only are they strong but they have the heart of a lion...those reps got pretty tough and they didnt let go of the bar!

Your training partners are serious!

Where were your pull-ups? - humor

Lol thanks Josh. Those who can't do, teach, j/k, no I usually will do pull-ups on monday, I'm usually good for about 20 also.

Not only are they strong but they have the heart of a lion...those reps got pretty tough and they didnt let go of the bar!

Thanks Anthony, the pull-up bar they were using is roughly 1.5'' thick, so to them it was like using a thick bar, so I was very happy with their effort.

3/22/14

Tom - tell the boys congratulations from me please - those are some tough kids. How'd the daughter do?

3/22/14

http://youtu.be/YU1PyLRxsPs

Tom - tell the boys congratulations from me please - those are some tough kids. How'd the daughter do?
Thanks Chris, I'll be sure to tell them. My daughter's still trying, she'll be in the 20 rep club too one day lol.

3/29/14

2HP: 12X127.5

Hey man...I'm curious. When you write say 12 x 127.5...is that in a row (push to failure kind of thing) or smaller sets? Thanks.

3/29/14

2HP: 12X127.5

Hey man...I'm curious. When you write say 12 x 127.5...is that in a row (push to failure kind of thing) or smaller sets? Thanks.

hey Nate, I've just been putting my last set in here. So my last set I try and do as many as I can without re-gripping, then I'll do as many as I can with resetting my grip. So for this last set I did 4 reps without re-gripping, then another 8 with a grip reset--total 12.