What Is The Hardest Nail Ever Bent?

yummy

So you are saying Garys videos were not well documented and that he is a fake, and you are calling Tim Tolbert a accomplice since he sent Gary stock that he used for his BKOASB bend.

I can guarantee you that the only people doubting him are those with an axe to grind for one reason or another. This is all very pathetic, and I am done with the topic.

Hey "Squat more"...or Jon...as the case may be. Why don't we talk to one another using our real names? I'm Andy Thomas and I stand behind everything I have ever done or said. It seems that Mike speaks publicly as well.....why do you hide behind a board name?

I am not hiding, if you read back Mike knows it is me, I made no attempts to "hide" who I am - as a matter of fact I called him by the nickname I gave him with much brotherly love quite some time ago. I was not aware that it was a requirement of this message board to register with ones real name. Maybe you need to calm down a bit and stop jumping to conclusions, friend.

If you're so comfortable with the situation let's talk openly Jon. It seems to me that the issue here is the inaccuracy of video not who did what. While I calm down and stop jumping to conclusions, I will also be glad that you came out of your own delusions long enough to comment on something you know little to nothing about. Thanks for getting out of the bottle, or dojo, or wherever else you are......that's part of the problem. Guys that do work, and are ready to represent their abilities...Mr. Hunt included, speak openly. Guys that have agendas or know not of what they speak use board names and talk trash. If you review the posts in this thread, none accuse anyone of doing anything.

Guest Squat More

Like I said, I am done with this topic. I am here to read and share conversation in grip stuff, and maybe post a log on Rolling Thunder training. I have said everything I felt the need to, any my opinions as to why I feel there are folks calling Gary a fake or fraud are there for you to read. I don't beat around the bush with what I think or feel, I never have.

Also, yes I used to have major problems with Alcohol, thank you for throwing that into my face, you are a top notch guy, lemme tell ya.

Like I said, I am done with this topic. I am here to read and share conversation in grip stuff, and maybe post a log on Rolling Thunder training. I have said everything I felt the need to, any my opinions as to why I feel there are folks calling Gary a fake or fraud are there for you to read. I don't beat around the bush with what I think or feel, I never have.

Also, yes I used to have major problems with Alcohol, thank you for throwing that into my face, you are a top notch guy, lemme tell ya.

We all have problems.. That doesn't influence wether video is acceptable proof, nor does it relate to the biggest bar bent. You are talking out of both sides of your face. The OP asked about the biggest bar bent and it has swayed into the question of video proof being acceptable. Where are you in those discussions?

Guest Squat More

And the Insults just keep on rolling in. I am two faced now? Thanks.

Like I said in an earlier post, a piece of FBBC cert stock that Gary / Gazza was sent from someone in the US to my knowledge is one of the biggest, if not the biggest bar ever bent on video.

Gary bend a piece of 3/8" stainless that looked to be about 6 and 1/4" or less long, in single suede wraps in this video for the FBBC cert list, the stock was sent to him by Tim Tolbert (also a member of this board) and he measured its length with a ruler, the diameter with an electronic caliper, used a magnet to show that it was stainless, he also took it out of an envelop that Tim marked himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EbpRMJZb8

If that is not good enough evidence, I really don't know what is, aside from someone flying to England to put the piece in his hands themselves.

All BS aside Andy, we were friends at one point and while you still obviously harbor malice towards me, which is understandable I want to apologize for any wrong doing I ever gave ya, but throwing my past addictions into my face, I'd have never expected something like that from you.

This isn't about me. It's about the biggest bar ever bent and weather or not video is proof of it.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

Guest Squat More

I don't see how video can not be proof of it. Gary entered bending comps when there were bending comps to enter and the ones he entered in, he won. David Horne has told me in conversations that he believes Gary's bends are legit, and he also told me he say Gary bend in person.

As for the stock Tim Tolbert sent Gary, I don't think there is any legitimacy in questioning it, he followed all the regular guidelines for any cert or legal bend the same way men have earned their Mash Monster certifications. The man was sent a package through the mail by someone here in North America containing FBBC cert stock, and other bits, in envelopes that were sealed shut. He then proceeded to open it on camera and document the bars length, diameter, showed they were stainless and not crs or aluminum (sound of steel hitting magnet - all of us posting here that have bent shinys on video for certs have heard this sound) then went on to bend them in accordance with all the rules and requirements of the time.

Are people really going to split hairs here and question his legit cert bends because he did not do them at a competition in front of people that you or someone else may know? And we are talking about elite level bends, again who knows what kind of preparation, physical and mental it took for him to attain them. Do you think Benedikt Magnusson can deadlift 1015 any day he wants? Do you think someone can just go and barehand bend something of epic proportions on a whim?

Will my friend Juha have to travel to America for his next MM cert to do it in front of Bill or Eric M. now if folks around here start saying that doing everything in accordance to the rules on video just isn't good enough anymore?

And all of this discussion is in accordance with the question of what the biggest bar ever bent was. Everything is relative here, and I believe it was David Wigren who said he did not give Gazza credit for more than a 6 inch long shiny bastard, when there is video evidence to show otherwise, barehand and other crazy bends aside. Wether or not the Stainless calibrated on the harder side or slightly easier than average, it's still 3/8" x 6" and change, and I have yet to find any bender who could finish a piece like that in solid double wraps and crush pads, let alone single suede wraps.

Edited by Squat More

There has been avaliable steel bending contests in the UK while Gary was in his prime.

"UK Champion of Steel 2007". Gary will have his reasons to why he didn't attend, but it would have been a perfect opportunity to prove beyond all doubt of where he were at the time. During the next 4 years there will be many other realistic and avaliable opportunities for him to prove beyond all doubt what he could do. However for different reasons he will not do it. Gary did however enter some grip competitions in late 2011 when he was no longer bending.

Jon, the reason why no one is talking about Tim Tolberts, Ben Edward, Alawadhi, and "Dumbsters" bars that they sent to Gary, is because it would have been easy to open up the packages and switch the bars. I know I can easily open packages and envelopes either by cutting them open gently, or just steaming the envelope until the adhesive gives. And if I can do it, I have to assume that most other adults can do it. While opening up packages and bending the bars on videos do hold a higher credibility than not opening a package up on video, it does not hold absolute credibility, and it should not be given such.

Jon, you're speculating alot. You can not determine what type of steel it is from the sound it makes touching a magnet on video. And you can not determine that it is stainless by a magnet test alone. The truth is that you don't know for sure what those bars are. And if you claim that you do, I have to question your judgement. I could speculate alot against or for Garys bends.

As an example of pure speculation, I always thought it was strange that Gary would struggle relatively with 5/16 stainless when he could crush bend 5.5"x3/8 stainless. I've braced bent alot of these bars, and I can assure you that the 3/8 stainless ramps up like nothing you've ever experienced. If you think that 5/16 stainless ramps up, or that the Battlebar ramps up toward the crushdown, it is nothing compared to the ramp up of 3/8 stainless. There has to be close to a 300lb difference between the relatively soft kink of 3/8 stainless and the crushdown. Anyone who could crush 5.5" 3/8 stainless and get close to 7"x7/16 stainless wouldn't even feel a 7"x5/16 stainless. It would be bigger than the difference between an Edgin and an IM yellow nail. Can you imagine anyone bending Edgins, take several slow hit to move a yellow nail. A speculation could be that Gary was bending polished aluminum and he had to bend it slowly because otherwise it might risk breaking. I know that Gary was questioned to why he always bent so slow. Gary responded that it was just his style.

This last part in cursive was pure speculation. I want to seperate it from the rest of the post since I don't know why Gary bent slow. Either explanation is acceptable. It could've been because it was polished aluminum or because it was simple his style. Could be other explanations, but since we don't know, it is pointless to speculate.

Gary has always been doubted. It has been more or less outspoken during the years. After a while I know many got tired of it and just started to ignore Gary's bends, myself included. However personally I was never convinced that Gary was a fake. I thought he might be legit, and since Gary had never really proved himself beyond all doubt, I PM'd him in early 2011 more or less begging him to take the opportunity to cert on the IM Gold nail. He told me that he didn't want to support Strossen, and that we were just "dancing to Strossens tune". However I told Gary that we were the ones that got Strossen to put out the Gold, after we convinced him not to change the red nail rules. Strossen was pretty much guaranteed to have a net loss with the Gold nail, indeed Strossen was dancing to our tune, and not the other way around. I don't remember what Gary responded to that, but it is a shame that he didn't take that opportunity either.

My scientific and unspeculative conclusion is that if Gary was real and not faking his upper level bends, then he took the active choice never to prove himself when he had many opportunities to do so over the years. If he was real, maybe he wanted to seem fake?

• Like 3

Jon, Juha competes in several contests a year and has closed extremely hard grippers in front of other gripsters. And for the umpteenth time, video proof for certs is not being questioned.

Let's use me as an example: I've pulled 523 on the platform. A decent amount for a middle aged sales guy, but nothing mind bending. Over the next 4 years, I post videos of 800, then 1200, then several videos of me deadlifting 1500 lbs. In every video I show the plates and document everything. During that time I do not compete in any powerlifting meets and also do not lift in front of anyone. At the end of those 4 years I go to several bench only competitions even though I only bench 350 or so. Would Andy Bolton be right in questioning me or would he just be jealous?

• Like 2

And for the record, I'm comparing Wiggy to Andy Bolton, not me. :laugh :laugh

Me thinks its time to end the speculation:)

Any body or any forum who has me on a list or videos of me bending please delete them as then there is no speculation simple as that.

Why bother watching or talking about me if you dont believe then delete and dont watch any videos simple as that :)

Seems like there is still far to much negativety still surrounding me.

Did he didnt he who really cares theres far more important things going on around the world as we speak but i suppose whilst a few seem content to carry on scrutinising my videos and comeing up with there own theories then they are leaving some other poor person less fortunate than me alone :grin: and like i say if you dont believe then just delete all info and forget about me simple as that.

Seriously im not worth all this drama im just a man like billions of others on the planet who has/had a hobby mine was all things to do with steel bending simple as that no more no less :calm

I think this entire thread has been very calm and, for the most part, civil and devoid of wild emotion Freddy. It's a topic that supersedes any one person and while there may be more important topics, I have enjoyed the debate. Sorry you haven't Freddy or Gary or Jon or whoever this is.

• Like 1

Hello Mike

If you dont believe who i am,Just ask Bill to do an IP check on me i aint hiding behind a name i just cant be bothered with re registering under my old name thats all :)

Im quite calm also i just dont need my name constantly brought up over did he or didnt he im past all that and like i said when my name is taken off of the lists and my videos are deleted then there shouldnt be any more sceptisism as there will be nothing to see its that simple :)

We removed everything on the battlefield for you Gary. Hope all is well.

I'll post once on this, as I verified Gary's bends (and hundreds of others). I treated every bend for every person the same for the duration of the time I owned FBBC. Follow the rules, submit the bend, I judge & approve or turn down the bend. When Pat P did the first KOAB, he opened the package from me on camera, wrapped, bent & measured on vid (and mailed the wraps & bent steel back for inspection). I approved, personally, that bend. Gary submitted bends, which I approved. Gary had some troubles early on, at one point he made a long run of personal attacks on me on the board. He wanted to see Pat's bends & didn't get why I didn't post them. I had deleted them as I did with every other cert email I got at the beginning (I always regretted I deleted that bend, it was awesome). I offered at one point to send him (free) some steel for him to open on camera to dispel the "faking" talk. He took this as an attack on him, which was not my intent. I tried to explain this, which didn't work at the time.

I have plenty of friends that are world class lifters in Grip, Strongman, PL, HG, and WL. I have a very clear understanding that there are plenty of people in the world that are beyond my level & even my conception. I've set a WR in Strongman. I've been that guy (to a certain extent). Over time, Gary & I cleared things up, understandings were reached, apologies accepted. Further world class bends were submitted by Gary, and I accepted & approved. I believe Gary, as I believed every other guy that certed. I choose to trust every single person that submitted bends to me. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

I cannot fathom why anyone would submit bogus bends. I'm not saying that there's nobody that would, but I don't get why anyone would. I CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND HOW BENDS CAN BE FAKED. Aluminum, heating, swapping wraps, cheaters bars, and so forth. I choose to believe nobody that submitted bends to me would.

Gary-

Glad you're doing well.

Edited by John Beatty

Great post John. I never thought anyone would go to the trouble of cheating for a cert either. I mean your life has to be pretty bad to go to those lengths to get a little internet fame. Because of that, I was probably a little more lenient judging bends than some of the other guys were on the battlefield.

A couple people were caught, but the thing that shocked me were the guys that were faking bends that weren't even done for certs. Just the pat on the back and recognition from other guys they would never meet on the internet was enough to make it worth it for them to risk it.

I never got the whole concept.

Guest Squat More

I think this entire thread has been very calm and, for the most part, civil and devoid of wild emotion Freddy. It's a topic that supersedes any one person and while there may be more important topics, I have enjoyed the debate. Sorry you haven't Freddy or Gary or Jon or whoever this is.

Yeah, because I'm totally a schizophrenic forum troll. :getlost: C'mon Mike, we may have had our differences before, but seriously?

Edited by Squat More

There are still a group of modern day individuals that believe that the earth is flat, that landing on the moon never happened(government conspiracy), and that Elvis is still alive and well living atop a Chilean mountain.

For some people, more is less.

I still firmly believe that Garry did these bends without any need to cheat. He was simply just able. But that's just my opinion

• Like 2

Jon, you are obviously unaware of the issues on the battlefield last year with certain people taking on different personas, names, even suddenly using good grammar and spelling after years of acting as if they were incapable of such. That was where that comment came from. It wasn't directed at you and I apologize for using your name. I never once doubted Gary until that happened. If you can fake an entire persona, what are a few bends among friends?

But we are getting off point here. I believe that the bend Aaron did is the best leather DO bend in history. I'll stop monopolizing the thread now. Sorry for that.

Guest Squat More

I can guarantee you none of those accounts were mine Mike, all I've been doing lately is working, and recently lifting on a regular basis. I visit Davids forum from time to time but I haven't been to the battlefield site for a long time.

No it wasn't you. I shouldn't have used your name.

Hello, everyone! Someone requested that I post on this topic so I will.

Back when all this was going on, I did indeed send Gary some sealed FBBC stock which is what he certed on. He was going to send me back a few bent pieces for my collection but that never happened because money was tight and that's okay but just trying to be honest with everyone.

If you look back and find the thread where Gary bent the first 3/8 stainless bar for Eric's list, you'll see that I went to bat for him. Not because I'm 100% sure it was legit, but rather because he did everything that was asked of him and therefore without some specific reason, it wouldn't look right to not allow his bend. Eric did allow his bend.

Fast forward, Gary and I swapped emails and stories for a while and I sent him one or more packages of steel - can't really remember right now. One of which is the one's that he certed with. I can say that I sealed them up very good and they looked legit on the video. Am I 100% sure? No because it would be very possible to swap steel or whatever but I'm like John Beatty in that I chose to think the best of someone and that includes Gary Hunt.

Now where there some things that I wished Gary would've done differently? Yes. Not so much as to solve my doubts but because I knew it would raise concerns. I always wished he'd bent the 3/8 inch G5 on camera because those would be very very hard to fake. That was never done to my knowledge although he did post some pics of a bent one.

All I'm saying is this. Gary did what was required of him and I did send him some authentic FBBC steel and I sealed it up quite good. Does that make it 100% legit with no possibility of fraud? No. Of course then again the same could be said for my early braced bends.

I will say that I always wished Gary would've bent something other than stainless for his really big bends because many people do not know that stainless can be bought in the annealed state. Am I saying Gary did this? Certainly not but I knew with the controversy that was going on that for years to come that would leave some doubt on his bends.

I believe Gary was and probably still is an awesome bender. He did what was required and deserves his spots at the top and I wished him the best in his new hobby.

Later,

Tim

Gary Hunt, I'm doing as you requested and leaving your past alone.

I wish you nothing but the best in your new beginnings!

You're a superb photographer with a great eye for composition.

Take care of yourself my friend and thanks from the bottom of my heart for helping me when

I needed it the most (not bending help either)!!!

I will always consider you a friend!