Movement Minneapolis Fall Grip Decathlon (iv) 20 Oct 2012

AdamTGlass

The other thing I will be kicking around is a pinch endurance event, dropping the hub. One of the ideas I like is a double lift and hold on the york blobs from the 65 lbs DB I cut. They are sized so that everyone can lift them. A double lift and hold could be a good event, it could even be a face lift and hold

I love the idea of the double blob hold for time.

BTW - What would be considered a decent lift on the IM anvil?

I can tell you what I have seen so far - I have three guys who are pulling 190-210 on the RT, they are getting 155-175 on it right now. I am going to call that pretty decent. I think over 185 is pretty good.

These events are always super interesting. Love the idea of a decathlon.

If we can get you lifting you would do well big guy :ninja: but if you show up out of shape you will feel beat down three times worse than Nationals. Going through 10 events in 5-6 hours can be a bit tiring.

So no medley this time?

No, primarily due to time constraints. While very fun to do and watch, the math doesn't work in our favor - 25-35 contestants, 4-6 minutes per medley run + reset time, soon it is takes several hours for one event.

Go with the DB size for which we have multiples. Quicker. Or scale it up by weight classes... heavier use bigger. First idea is better.

Go with the DB size for which we have multiples. Quicker. Or scale it up by weight classes... heavier use bigger. First idea is better.

If I can swing a 56kg Inch replica by then we might have 56 kg/66kg/78 kg bells for the challenge.

Having three plate loading inch handles does make the first one a distinct possibility too

• 3 weeks later...

I will be making the trip out , from Ma to enjoy my last few days of life , picking shit up and holding it for time getting ready

What are you talking about here? :huh:

• Like 1

I will be making the trip out , from Ma to enjoy my last few days of life , picking shit up and holding it for time getting ready

What are you talking about here? :huh:

Probably (I hope) jokingly referring to Adam's contest announcement regarding the end of the Mayan calendar, end of the world stuff, etc.

• Like 1

Just messin around with the Mayan calendar stuff I am looking forward to the comp, what up cannon and ben crush love all the grip tools you sold me so awsome

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys the finalized list of events will be published this week. I will also put up a video detailing how each event will be contested for the ones which are prehaps not as commonly understood.

One piece of info I want to pass on: I have had 5 men contact in the last 3 weeks questioning the silver bullet event. YES Sir, we will be using a #3 COC.

Last night at the gym I asked 5 memebers to see if they could set and lift a 5 lbs plate in a #3, 4 out of 5 could. Of the 4 who could, 3 of them have less than 3 months grip experience. Of those 3, all of them were at a body weight of under 220. Not a bunch of 270 lbs freaks or whatever.

Here is the deal- you have several months to prepare. I don't care what you can or can't do today, you have time to get better. Do not worry about the event, train for it and you will do well. I have full confidence you can get there. And if you don't? its a strength contest. if you are not strong enough then that is that. Over a 10 event contest a lot of things can happen and one bad event doesn't mean too much.

Can you add Silver Bullet to the end of the short form? Make it 4 events? It would really only add a matter of seconds to the short form for most people. I'm asking because I will probably do the short form and would really like to do Silver Bullet. Otherwise I'll be free to help with events.

• Like 1

Can you add Silver Bullet to the end of the short form? Make it 4 events? It would really only add a matter of seconds to the short form for most people. I'm asking because I will probably do the short form and would really like to do Silver Bullet. Otherwise I'll be free to help with events.

Yes that is cool with me.

Also is Kristy going to lift in this one?

Yes she will! She *might* lift this weekend too. She has to head up north about noon but sounds like she'll come if it's at all possible. My parents are going to be in town and will probably come too.

I had the dates screwed up. I thought the contest this weekend was the decathlon. If I have until late October to keep healing, I might be good for the full contest.

• Like 1

Yes she will! She *might* lift this weekend too. She has to head up north about noon but sounds like she'll come if it's at all possible. My parents are going to be in town and will probably come too.

I had the dates screwed up. I thought the contest this weekend was the decathlon. If I have until late October to keep healing, I might be good for the full contest.

Yeah, today is the USAWA meet. Next weekend (4 Aug) is the Master of Horror, Decathlon not for a few more months. Plenty of time to beast out

Hey guys the finalized list of events will be published this week. I will also put up a video detailing how each event will be contested for the ones which are prehaps not as commonly understood.

Just wondering if the finalized events list is ready to go?

Just wondering if the finalized events list is ready to go?

publishing tonight, a few too many loose ends this last week! I am getting back on top of things

Earlier this summer I announced the 4th Movement Minneapolis Grip Sport Decathlon, to be held 20 Oct 2012.

One of the things I typically do is make the announcement, then gauge response from known competitors on the events. If I get a number of people requesting a particular event, I am going to add it in. The other side is if a particular event is not received well I will change it.

This is all about the people doing the lifting.

The beauty of grip sport is the flexibility in events and wide number of possible combinations. My goal is to present a contest to allow you to demonstrate strength in a wide variety of conditions.

As before, I want to offer a short format and a long format for the contest. Due to high number of requests, the short format will be the 3 core grip events - the Axle, Two Hand Pinch, and Grippers. One wrinkle here is left and right hand will be contested. The additional time to get in left hand attempts in minimal, I do not believe that will affect the total time for the short format by more than 20 minutes.

Short Format-

#1 Torsion Spring Grippers Left Hand & Right Hand, best of 4 for total.

#2 Two Hand Pinch Lift on the adjustable European apparatus, last man standing

#3 Overhand Axle Deadlift on the Ironmind Apollon's axle, last man standing

Full Decathlon-

#4 Ironmind "Little Big Horn" Anvil Lift, last man standing

#5 Ironmind Hub Lift, last man standing

#6 Two hand Rim lift, last man standing

#7 Gripper for Reps Event, 1 attempt

#8 Mobile Medley Challenge 1 attempt

#9 Ironmind Silver Bullet, 1 attempt

#10 Double york blob lift and hold (with two halves of a 65 lbs york. Each blob is about 33 lbs)

Explanation of format

The "Last Man Standing" format is a rising bar event where competitors can lift or pass each jump of the weight. Everyone must lift the opening weight or they scratch the event. From there the weight will jump up each round. You may lift or pass. In the event you want the lift, you have 1 minute to successfully lift the weight according to standard. In the event you miss, you are eliminated and your last successful lift will be recorded as your score.

This format allows a large number of competitors to quickly move through an event. In this format there is no weight selection, so it moves much faster.

Scoring

Scoring for the decathlon will be done using the standard North American Grip Sport Association system. The top lift is worth 100 points, all other points are assigned as a percentage of that lift. For example, if the best lift is 100 lbs, a lift of 80 lbs is worth 80 pounts, 50 lbs is 50 points, ect.

Order of the day and events

0800 to 945 - weigh in, registration, warm ups

945 to 10 - introductions and rules

10 to 4 pm - events. I estimate we will be done before 4 pm, but plan for that.

There is no formal lunch scheduled, please bring snacks and food to munch on. Post contest we will have a group meal at Taste of India in St Louis Park (about 8 minute drive from the gym).

Events

Grippers: We have over 60 grippers which have been rated using the RGC method to scale resistance. You can go up and down in difficulty for each attempt. You will have 4 attempts per hand for a successful end to end close from a parallel set. You must show the judging official the set and close in full view. Once the gripper is set it may not touch any part of your body, the floor, or any other object.

Two Hand Pinch Lift: The European apparatus will be loaded to 90 lbs. Competitors will grasp it with two hands with the fingers on the front plate and thumbs on the back. The apparatus will be lifted to a 16.5" horizontal standard and lowered under control. From there the weight will jump 10 lbs. Competitors may pass any given round, their last successful lift will be their score. On any given attempt they will have 60 seconds to get in a successful rep. The bar will rise until all competitors are eliminated.

Overhand Axle deadlift: This will be done with a 2" diameter smooth bar. Both hands will grasp the bar with a pronated grip, hooking the axle is specifically forbidden. The lift is a standard competition deadlift, with the bar being hoisted to a fully erect standing position with arms straight, legs straight, hips extended, spine straight. The conventional and sumo lifting stance are allowed, straddle lifting the bar is specifically forbidden. The bar will start at 240 lbs, and will be loaded 20 lbs per round. Competitors may pass on any given round.

Ironmind Anvil horn lift: This lift is done with the little-big horn anvil cone. It will be affixed to a loading pin. A successful lift is counted as having the legs and back straight, and being held for a "down" command from the judging official. The apparatus will start at 130 lbs and will jump 10 lbs per round. Competitors may pass on any given round.

Ironmind Hub Lift: This lift will be done with the Ironmind hub apparatus. A successful lift is having the legs straight, back straight, and held for a down command from the judge. All 5 fingers must start on the rim of the hub at the start of the lift, tilting the hub is specifically forbidden. The grip must be the overhand "claw" grip, an upside down or unorthodox grip is also specifically forbidden. The starting weight will be 30 lbs and will jump 5 lbs per round.

Two hand rim lift: This event will be done with two "CAP" 45 lbs plates placed on a cross bar with the rims facing outward. Competitors will grasp the rims, with one hand on each side and lift until their body is erect. The starting load will be 180 lbs, with 10 lbs jumps per round. I will prepare a video demonstrating this lift.

Gripper for reps: This event will feature three different grippers in descending order of difficulty. A setting block will be used for each repetition. You will have 1 attempt per gripper. the most difficult gripper is worth 5 points per close, the medium is 3, the easy is 1. Each rep must have a clearly visible set and close for the judging official. You may use either hand for each level. A video will be prepared to demonstrate how this event will be conducted.

Mobile medley: A variety of items will be lined up at the starting point. At the start, competitors must carry each item the required distance for points. Some items will be a 4 ft carry, some 8 ft, some 12 ft. Items maybe set down and picked up again. Exact details will be explained on the items. Things to expect - block weights, blobs, inch dumbbells, various thick handled dumbbells, anvils, hammers, finger lifts, pinch blocks, hub lifts, hex head dumbbells and more. There will be a 4 minute time limit, scoring will be number of items carried to the standard.

Silver bullet hold: This will be done with a 2.5 kg weight attached to the IM silver bullet handle and a #3 Captain of Crush grippe (brand new out of the package). The bullet will be placed at the bottom of the gripper legs and held until it drops. The gripper must be held level and horizontal. Specific rules will be explained on event day.

Double Blob lift and hold for time: Two york blobs will be used, from a 65 lbs DB. Each blob is about 33 lbs. Competitors will deadlift the blobs in a conventional stance and hold until one drops out. Bracing the weights in to the body in any way is forbidden.

Registration: All competitors must weigh in no later than 2 hours from the start time, sign a waiver, and pay the $20 contest fee.

Trophies will be awards for top 3 positions in each class, as well as a 1,2,3 and best for the combined score for the decathlon.

Training for the decathlon: In order to succeed you must not only be strong, you must have staying power. I recommend specifically practicing the events, and in the order of the events. Get used to going for 20-30 max lifts in a workout.

Avoid high effort, listen to your body, and have fun with it!

ATG

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited about this event. This will be my first grip contest, outside of the ones I've put on myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adam, I know you can't set a record in last man standing, no problemo, but can you clarify if last man standing lifts count for NAGS Elite total?

My running season is mostly over and it's time to go head first into strength traing again! Should be a gnarly comp!

No, the call was lms will not count for record purposes and such...which includes things like that.

Thanks Adam. I actually think this one will run VERY quick with the LMS and single attempt events!

It will be good, and there will be a large turnout so timing is critical. most people do not have interest in 10-12 hrs contests...nor do i

Why is it that last man standing events don't count for records?