Movement Minneapolis Fall Grip Decathlon (iv) 20 Oct 2012

AdamTGlass

First announcement for the Fall 2012 10 event contest in Minneapolis, MN.

20 Oct 2012 (Saturday)

Movement Minneapolis, 2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth MN

Registration 0830-940, first lift begins at 10 AM.

All contestants will be weighed on certified scale, weight classes will be grouped by # of attending athletes as was done in Decathlon III.

I am doing event selection this week, I wanted to give people a chance to throw out the ones they want to see contested. It is ok if you are not coming out, any and all are cool with me to throw out.

A few which I am leaning on

- 2 HP (obviously)

- Eagle Loop lift (so far everyone who has tried it really liked it)

- SG Thick Burger pinch lift (it is a roundish oblong handle, fits the hand ergonomically)

- Grippers for reps, similar format to both Decathlon II and Frostbite

- Silver Bullet Hold

- Hang from the ropes (2" Manila)

- Reeves deadlift (hands on the rim)

- Double Slim Sledge lever (similar to the format Chris used for the 2011 Gripmas)

- Hornes new Adjustable Thickbar griptopz

---- Anyone can throw out events, what would you be interested seeing contested for the next contest?

I would like to see something like the scale weight hold like the Bastard Bash used to feature.

I would like to see something like the scale weight hold like the Bastard Bash used to feature.

Can you link a video of that event? Also do you know where we can get two scale weights without having to shell out 200-300 hundred bucks on brand new certified ones?

I'll see what I can find. And I was just thinking some kind of hold, like two kettlebells by the handles in one hand might work..?

Can you link a video of that event? Also do you know where we can get two scale weights without having to shell out 200-300 hundred bucks on brand new certified ones?

My You Tube channel has it under BBB2 if you want to see how it worked.

TNS Grippers. I'd like to see both hands contested on grippers. For a 1RM and highest total wins. Not a fan of reps. Rising bar format on grippers would make it very interesting.

Double Overhand Axle Deadlift.

2" Vbar.

GripTopz Short Medley

4mins and max 4 attempts each on Stub, Hub, Coin.

Other competitors help change weights.

Score is your top lift for each added together.

I'm thinking out loud here, consider this brainstorming.

(This obviously would work better if you had 3 GripTopz to run like at the last Decathlon)

GripTopz Short Medley

4mins and max 4 attempts each on Stub, Hub, Coin.

Other competitors help change weights.

Score is your top lift for each added together.

I'm thinking out loud here, consider this brainstorming.

(This obviously would work better if you had 3 GripTopz to run like at the last Decathlon)

I have a medley format which you will dig for this idea of speed lifting

Any chance you would consider starting this contest off with the 3 traditional events of max gripper close, 2hp and DO Axle?

Excellent list of events so far and I really like the idea of having the double sledge lever event thrown in the mix too.

• Like 3

Adam, have you finalized the events for the contest yet? I'm trying to talk some guys into competing but you know how that goes...it's impossible to motivate someone if they're not already motivated. If you're interested in getting guys like Josh to compete we need to hear what events would draw him in. He might say "armwrestling" though so don't be fooled. :grin:

Any chance you would consider starting this contest off with the 3 traditional events of max gripper close, 2hp and DO Axle?

Excellent list of events so far and I really like the idea of having the double sledge lever event thrown in the mix too.

This could also serve as an abbreviated contest like you had at the last one.

• Like 1

This could also serve as an abbreviated contest like you had at the last one.

That's a great idea for those that either like short contests or just don't have a few hours to spare for whatever reason. Or those that like the idea of a more traditional max strength contest.

Adam, have you finalized the events for the contest yet? I'm trying to talk some guys into competing but you know how that goes...it's impossible to motivate someone if they're not already motivated. If you're interested in getting guys like Josh to compete we need to hear what events would draw him in. He might say "armwrestling" though so don't be fooled. :grin:

Ben - Are you and Josh currently planning on attending this contest?

Yes Sir, events will be posted tomorrow.

Yes Sir, events will be posted tomorrow.

Cool, thanks Adam! Not trying to be pushy at all. I know how the promoting goes. Thankless most of the time. But I - and many others - appreciate what you do.

Ben - Are you and Josh currently planning on attending this contest?

I'm planning on it. Never going to be 100% with my work schedule. But it's about 80-20 that I can attend. Josh isn't training grip and hasn't for a while so it's unlikely he'll go.

I'm planning on it. Never going to be 100% with my work schedule. But it's about 80-20 that I can attend. Josh isn't training grip and hasn't for a while so it's unlikely he'll go.

I'm in the same boat. Scheduled to work that weekend, but I'm trying to switch some things around. Been wanting to make it to one of Adam's events for a long time now, so hopefully this will be the one. Look forward to possibly meeting up with you.

Mayan Calender ends soon. Horrible fires are burning out of control in several parts of the country. Election year has no winners, no lesser evils...This maybe the end folks.

The great news is we will get in at least one more big A$$ awesome grip contest before it all takes a dump on the 23 of Dec 2012. If you are not up to date on your end of the world madness that day will (supposedly) be marked by either Jesus, Aliens, Alien Jesus, or some other Extinction Level Event. As long as I get a contest to pull out a 900 lbs total I am cool with all or none of the above happening.

EVENTS:

This will be a 10 event contest, scored according to the current NAGSA system.

Short Format-

#1 Torsion Spring Grippers Left Hand & Right Hand, best of 4 for total.

#2 Two Hand Pinch Lift on the adjustable European apparatus, 4 attempts

#3 Overhand Axle Deadlift on the Ironmind Apollon's axle, 4 attempts

Full Decathlon-

#4 Ironmind "Little Big Horn" Anvil Lift, 4 attempts

#5 Ironmind Hub Lift, 4 attempts

#6 World of Grip Half Penny Pinch Lift, 4 attempts

#7 Gripper for Reps Event, 1 attempt

#8 1 hand hang for time off a pull up bar, 1 attempt

#9 Ironmind Silver Bullet, 1 attempt

#10 Dumbbell lift for reps, 1 attempt

Events in detail

Torsion spring grippers, left and right hand close for maximum resistance with a parallel set (MMS):

Competitors will have 4 attempts per hand to set and close a measured gripper (RGC) from a parallel distance to full close. Once the legs of the gripper have been set it may not be touched again with the free hand. The closing hand must not touch any part of the competitors body, floor, or any other surface. Set and close must be done in full view of judging official. Score will be best left hand close + best right close for points. For NAGSA total purposes the best close will be used.

Two Hand Pinch Lift:

Event will be done with the standard European apparatus. Competitors will select their pinching width during registration. The apparatus will be grasped with an overhand grip, fingers on the front plate, thumb on the rear. It will be lifted to meet a horizontal standard of 16.5" then set on the floor under control. Only chalk is permitted to aid the grip, no other support equipment will be used.

Overhand Axle Deadlift:

The event is scored almost exactly like a standard competition deadlift in a powerlifting meet. An overhand grip with no hooking of the thumb must be used. Both hands must be pronated. The lifter may use either the conventional or sumo deadlifting stance. The bar must be lifted from the floor to a standing position with the legs straight, hips extended, back straight. The lifter will be given a "Down" command from the judge. The bar must not be dropped from the top of the lift. A lifting belt is permitted for this event. Only chalk maybe used to aid the grip.

Anvil Lift:

The event will be done using the new model Ironmind anvil horn, a loading pin, and a clip. The competitor may use either hand and can switch during their 4 attempts. The apparatus will be lifted off the floor to a "locked out" position with legs straight, hips extended, back straight. The grip must be on the sloped surface of the anvil, grasping the bottom flat portion is forbidden. Only chalk maybe used to aid the grip.

Hub Lift:

The event will be done using the Ironmind Hub, a loading pin, and a clip. The new model hub will be used (textured model). The grip must be the "claw" grip using the fingers and thumb, the "vertical bar" style is forbidden, as well as any other unconventional styles. The competitor may switch hands for their 4 attempts. The lift will be done to "lock out" with straight legs, extended hips, and straight back. The grip must be on the vertical surface of the hub, grasping the flat surface is forbidden. Only chalk maybe used to aid grip.

Penny Lift:

The event will be done using the griptopz half penny. The traditional "key grip" with the index finger and thumb will be used to grasp the top of the apparatus and it shall be lifted to meet a 16.5" horizontal standard. Tilting the griptopz is specifically forbidden. 4 attempts will be given, competitors may switch hands during the attempts.

Gripper for Reps Event:

Three grippers will be used for this event, a GHP 6, and GHP 5, and a GHP 4 along with a .75" setting block. The attempt begins with the GHP 6 which is closed for maximum reps with the block used on each close. After the first set, the competitor will have 60 seconds rest, then will attempt the GHP5 in the same fashion. They will be provided 60 seconds rest again, then will attempt the GHP 4. Competitors can switch hands on each gripper attempt IE they can begin with the right hand for the 6, switch to the left hand for the 5, and switch back to the right hand for the 4. Only one start will be allowed for each gripper. Scoring will be as follows - 3 points for each GHP 6 close, 2 points for each GHP 5 close, and 1 point for each GHP 4 close.

NOTE: For those who are not familiar with the GHP line, a GHP 6 is harder than a 2.5 COC, a GHP 5 is slightly easier than a COC 2, and a GHP 4 is about a COC 1 level.

One Arm Hang Event:

The competitor will grasp an overhead pull up bar with an overhand grip (no hooking of the thumb) and hang for maximum time. The attempt begins as soon as their feet leave the floor and terminates as soon as any part of their body touches the floor. Switching hands once the attempt begins is forbidden. Using the free hand in any way to gain advantage during the hang is forbidden. Scoring will be done by hang time in seconds.

Ironmind Silver Bullet hold:

The event will be done using a Captain of Crush Gripper and the silverbullet strap with a 5 lbs weight. All male competitors will use the COC #3 gripper for the event. The competitor will set the gripper and place the bullet between the legs of the gripper then lift and hold the weight. The gripper legs must be kept vertical during the hold. The attempt is terminated when the weight falls or in the event it some how changes position violating the starting position. 1 attempt will be allowed. The attempt is considered started when the competitor lifts the weight off the platform. Scoring will be done by hang time in seconds.

Dumbbell lift for reps, 2 minute test:

Competitors will be assigned bell weight by class. The dumbbell will be lifted to at least above the knee and set down. Competitors will be allowed to switch hands at will during the attempt. Scoring will allow full points for "locked out" reps and half points for lifts which reach the knee cap but not lock out. Scoring is maximum points during the two minute attempt. A weight belt maybe worn for this event.

Classes:

All competitors will be weighed on a point calibrated scale per NAGSA rules no earlier then 2 hours to the start of the meet for record and classing purposes. Men's weight classes are 59k, 66k, 74k, 83k, 93k, 105k, 120k, 120k+

For Decathlon purposes the meet will be split in to two or three groups. It will be either be 93 kg and 120+ or 83kg, 105kg, 120+kg depending on number of competitors. I want at least 7 men in each class before splitting it off. Based on recent meet numbers, that will be pretty easy.

Weigh in and payment along with warm ups will begin at 8 AM. The meet will begin at 10 AM. Fee will be 25 dollars.

Trophy's will be given to the first, second, and third best lifters in each group, as well as a gold, silver, and bronze award for best overall lifter for the combined score sheet. Addition prizes maybe awarded based on sponsor contribution.

As a note to this- it is possible to take second place in your class and win second or third overall best position with the scoring system. The combination of events makes it anyone's meet, so bring your "A" game.

Chalk will be provided by Movement Minneapolis, ALL over brands are forbidden. With the exception of lifting belts for a few events, all other forms of support equipment is specifically forbidden. Warm up wraps and such maybe worn, but it will be removed prior to an attempt if there is any question to it's advantage for the event.

Estimated time for the short form contest is 1.5 to 2 hours, the full decathlon will likely be 6.5 to 7 hours total time. With the equipment spread it will go quickly, but as a friendly reminder nothing will be rushed outside of the reasonable time lines to ensure all competitors are able to display their best performance. So far a Decathlon has not run past 430 PM, I do not expect this one to fall outside of that.

2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth MN, 55441, located 1/4 mile away from I-494

Sponsors: TBA

Hotels are located less then 3 blocks away (about 6 minute walking distance) from the gym, as well as several gas stations and eating establishments.

No lunch break is scheduled, please bring food and snacks as we will press through the events during the competition. Movement Minneapolis will provide bottled water complimentary for all competitors and their guests.

Children are welcome at the event as long as they are supervised and safe during their visit to Movement Minneapolis.

For all questions please contact me here, on Gripboard, World of Grip, or via Email.

• Like 2

Events look interesting Adam! Is the dumbbell for reps event going to be with a loadable Inch handle? Any idea yet on the weights for each class?

Events look interesting Adam! Is the dumbbell for reps event going to be with a loadable Inch handle? Any idea yet on the weights for each class?

I really like the format the German's used for their nationals...still mulling it over. It will be with either a 2.45 loadable Inch trainer, or a 3" loadable. If its the Inch sized probably 115-125, on the 3" 90-100. I plan on having some people test out the weights over the next month to see if what falls where on averages. It is designed to be more Strength-Endurance based test, so if required I will reduce weight to meet that idea.

The other thing I will be kicking around is a pinch endurance event, dropping the hub. One of the ideas I like is a double lift and hold on the york blobs from the 65 lbs DB I cut. They are sized so that everyone can lift them. A double lift and hold could be a good event, it could even be a face lift and hold

Edited by AdamTGlass

These events are always super interesting. Love the idea of a decathlon.

The other thing I will be kicking around is a pinch endurance event, dropping the hub. One of the ideas I like is a double lift and hold on the york blobs from the 65 lbs DB I cut. They are sized so that everyone can lift them. A double lift and hold could be a good event, it could even be a face lift and hold

I love the idea of the double blob hold for time.

BTW - What would be considered a decent lift on the IM anvil?