Call For Competition

Rick Walker

I am very serious when I say I want to host a grip comp. this summer. VERY SERIOUS!

I am in Western PA-so Come on-I know there are a few regulars here that are from PA or damn close.

I want atleast 10 guys.

Prizes will include:

possibly those nifty new grippers that Gazza has spoken of

inch loadable bars

shirts

ironmind, PDA, and WLW goodies.

Plus-an ice cold keg, a pig stuffed with fried chicken, Camaraderie, and fun for the whole family.

So-what do you say guys?? I want to make this work. Competition brings out the best-so LETS DO IT!

Rick Walker :rock

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• gazza

• Gripper42004

• David Horne

Top Posters In This Topic

hey rick, that sounds awesome. any plans on moving to NC and hosting the event here? ;)

That would be a great idea Rick. I would even consider attending if I knew far enough in advance as I'd be coming from Utah.

Rick,

What are the events? Will it be held outdoors? Will it be near a major airport with hotels, restaurants, etc.? :blink

Lots of things to consider when you host a event such as this. Also, factor in the possibility of making it a yearly event. How about a grip event at the AOBS?? Just a suggestion. Hey, I like your enthusiasm about this... I like the idea, and would like to compete.

Date will be either August or early September.

Yes-there is an airport-a couple at Pittsburgh (about an hour and a half drive) and one (a smaller one) in Dubois-about 20 minutes from my house.

Event will be held at my house/garage-outside and inside. Havent decided on events but I am thinking of the following:

grippers

Inch loadable (actual Inch for all to try)

outer limit loops

2-hand pinch of plates with bar running through it

farmers for timed holds

bending

levering

brick lift

Figuring on a 5 point system-best lift etc. gets 5 points for that event, second gets 4, etc. Person with highest total in end wins.

Yes-plenty of inexpensive hotels within a 3 mile distance. Walmart, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, KFC, McDonalds many of regular resturants.

We have a pool and big yard for kids to romp in.

If I get enough interest and many will be flying in-I would consider hosting it at my sisters house in Pittsburgh-she has a huge house, in ground pool and hot tub outside, fenced in yard, VERY close to airport.

Keep the ideas and comments coming. Lets make this happen!!!

So everyone knows-Big Dave-AKA "Crush Monster" has said he will come.

This could heat up. Who can beat this man?

All this talk about competition meaning more than any pic or video.

COME ON BIG DOGS!

I applaud you for doing this Rick. Unfortunately, it's a bit too far for my family to travel :(

Edited by eric milfeld

Well it sounds like I need to get off big fat butt and get into fighting shape. Count me in. I'll buy the pig.

Great!

Guest Chris Mellen

Count me in, Rick. I'll get my ass handed to me (MAYBE!!! < <), but I'd love the experience.

If possible, please do it in August. I wouldn't be able to in September. (I'd be in grad school.)

I'm very poor at organizing events, but if you need me to do anything, just ask. :)

--Chris :online

Sounds really great !!! This would be my first grip comp.if it happens

I live in Reading,PA witch works out fine for me.I would love to meet other fellow grip freaksters.Please keep us informed on a deffinate date so I can train for it.THANX! :D

John 3:15

COOL!

This post has been active for only a few hours-and I have had replies from guys like:

Dave

Terminator

Bender53 (much stronger than many know!!!)

Tommy

Sybersnot

I am also glad some of these newbies are interested cause I dont want to place dead last!

COME ON GUYS!!!

Keep it coming.

I will get a diffinite date set soon. Early September (sorry Chris) is looking good.

Rick Walker :rock:rock

Heath?? 3Crusher?? Wade?? Wannagrip???

Can any of you guys make it?

Depends mostly on how close it is to the Burlington contest..which is still not a firm date... but i think Josh and I would go....Yako's cement business will be too busy at that time of year though.

I think I can talk him into taking a drive.He drove all the way up to Beatty's in Illinois to lift the Inch and NOT get the Millenium :blush and crush a #3.....and in May is driving all the way to Oklahoma to train with former WSM competitor Whit Baskin(time for him to learn some strongman events and learn em proper ;) ....sadly i'll be in California in May..well not exactly sadly.. :whacked )My reports to him about Dave(and others :whistel )have got Josh fairly motivated :stuart

Of course by then Dave will have already smashed the #4..but who will be the FIRST man to certify ONLY on a #4.... :laugh the 'other'historical FIRST.Just having some fun...

Anyhow maybe he'll/we'll probably drive a ways if it's not going to be a scheduling conflict.

How would you Judge the Inch?who can pull it the highest?I think with this crowd-someone is going to shoulder it......power clean it...quite seriously.

Or would the loadable be used for maximum poundages?and the INCH for fun.

how about some finger tip deads with the eagle loops?BIG poundages on that.maybe just a one finger deadlift with them?

Leverages are cool,sledges or ez curl bar or IM Heavy Hammer..no problem...Grippers? got it... but what do ya do with the bricks?

Set up a wrist roller and IF we can make it we'll do a wicked exhibition(well one will be wicked the other fair to midland :erm )-for fun.

Guest Mikael Siversson
Date will be either August or early September.

Yes-there is an airport-a couple at Pittsburgh (about an hour and a half drive) and one (a smaller one) in Dubois-about 20 minutes from my house.

Event will be held at my house/garage-outside and inside. Havent decided on events but I am thinking of the following:

grippers

Inch loadable (actual Inch for all to try)

outer limit loops

2-hand pinch of plates with bar running through it

farmers for timed holds

bending

levering

brick lift

Figuring on a 5 point system-best lift etc. gets 5 points for that event, second gets 4, etc. Person with highest total in end wins.

Yes-plenty of inexpensive hotels within a 3 mile distance. Walmart, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, KFC, McDonalds many of regular resturants.

We have a pool and big yard for kids to romp in.

If I get enough interest and many will be flying in-I would consider hosting it at my sisters house in Pittsburgh-she has a huge house, in ground pool and hot tub outside, fenced in yard, VERY close to airport.

Keep the ideas and comments coming. Lets make this happen!!!

Excellent idea. There are so many talented gripsters in the US so it's a shame that there are not more grip competitions run. From my own experience I would say that nothing beats regular competitions when it comes to pushing yourself, especially to bring up weak areas that you may not be fully aware of until competing against others. One advice though. Try not to have too many events or the competition will last for ever. At the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge we had five events (testing right and left) and were 12 competitors. It took almost 9 hours.

I would just love to see Tommy clash with Pat. If it is a right left comp. I would guess that Pat could do really well. He would be very hard to beat in grippers if both hands are tested. If you want some standardization, following the UK, Australia and Sweden, have one crush, one pinch, one thick bar, one support (such as v-bar for example) and one wrist. However, as organizer it is of course up to you. :rock

Rick,

Sounds excellent. Go for it, and I hope you get good support. I may well even think about coming next year if it doesn't clash with our grip champs which is run on the first weekend in August.

David

Rick

Hats of to ya,like David,Mikael ,Nick,etc it gives other people the chance to have a go at things they may not have tried or have access to :cool

The healthy rivalry on the day is awesome to,grip buddies goin at it head to head,i,m gettin all excited :blush

Heath??  3Crusher??  Wade??  Wannagrip???

Can any of you guys make it?

Nope. Too far.

I wouldn't even travel that far for a a power meet when I competed. I take that back. I did a couple times when I was single and 20 years old! :D

The amout of support and enthusiasm for this thing is AWESOME!

It is true-competition brings out the best in people!

The date that is looking best is September 6th (Saturday)

I have decided on events now that I have had some time to think:

1. Grippers (either timed holds or highest gripper closed)

2. 2-Hand pinch-will use plates with bar running through it (highest weight)

3. Inch (will use loadable handle-heaviest weight pulled with this handle will be winner)

4. Bending-thickness nail/or furthest bend if 2 or more people bend the same nail.

5. Deadlift and hold with PDA farmers AND handle-NO STRAPS-300 an arm for longest hold.

No weight classes.

I am working on the prizes-they will be worth your drive!

Gentleman!

Thanks to Bender53-I may have a 50-pound Blob added to the list as well. He has other blobs that I might be able to talk him into brining-50-pound blob lifters will get $50 cash ON THE SPOT!

Since I changed the rules of the Inch Lift (thanks Roark!) I have decided to add this:

Any man who can clean and press my Inch DB Replica with 1 hand-full clean, no sliding it up body, will get $150 CASH.

Woohoo, sounds great!

Well at least the $50 for deadlifting the blob would pay for some of my flight.

David