Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Thanks for the advice, guys. As far as antagonistic movements, I currently do a lot of pull ups/chin ups, reverse curls, and rubber band finger extensions. And going band-less during warm ups is a great idea and I will start doing it immediately.

Test out more pulling movements. I found heavy 1 hand rows to be a great contra specific for the kink. You so want something that straightens the elbow tendon completely like Kettlebell snatch.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, guys. As far as antagonistic movements, I currently do a lot of pull ups/chin ups, reverse curls, and rubber band finger extensions. And going band-less during warm ups is a great idea and I will start doing it immediately.

You should try and do some rows aswell. Doing pull ups are great for shoulder stability, but for antagonistic work for bending it's better to do rows and the like. The lats attatch to the front of the shoulder and cause foward rotation, similar to how the chest will from bending. You want to add work that will rotate the shoulder joint in the opposite direction. When I'm bending and I want to do antagonistic work, I try to engage the rear delts as much as I can and that is better achieved with rows rather than pullups.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 4

Test out more pulling movements. I found heavy 1 hand rows to be a great contra specific for the kink. You so want something that straightens the elbow tendon completely like Kettlebell snatch.

You should try and do some rows aswell. Doing pull ups are great for shoulder stability, but for antagonistic work for bending it's better to do rows and the like. The lats attatch to the front of the shoulder and cause foward rotation, similar to how the chest will from bending. You want to add work that will rotate the shoulder joint in the opposite direction. When I'm bending and I want to do antagonistic work, I try to engage the rear delts as much as I can and that is better achieved with rows rather than pullups.

Jumping on the bandwagon. Rows pretty much rule. They did a lot to correct the muscle imbalance I had developed with my bending.

Jumping on the bandwagon. Rows pretty much rule. They did a lot to correct the muscle imbalance I had developed with my bending.

Interesting :rolleyes

Rows for the win!

I will add in rows, it great to have all these Red Nail roster guys giving advice. Is there a recommendation as to high reps (prehah/ rehab) or higher weight (strength)?

Personally I did one arm rows as heavy as I could, over 150#, supersetted with kink hits. Winds you up like a rubber band.

I just watched a big, strong guy cert the Red Nail double-underhand. Took it down to 1", and he never switched to overhand for the sweep and crush. What I mean is the ends of the nail kept pointing straight up during the sweep and crush, he never flipped the nail or re-gripped from the DU kink.

Cool that takes pretty good wrist strength

I just watched a big, strong guy cert the Red Nail double-underhand. Took it down to 1", and he never switched to overhand for the sweep and crush. What I mean is the ends of the nail kept pointing straight up during the sweep and crush, he never flipped the nail or re-gripped from the DU kink.

Probably Big Dave Ostulnd. Absolute beast.

Probably Big Dave Ostulnd. Absolute beast.

No, this was a live cert I attended. It just happened this morning. We should see the write-up on Ironmind in a few days.

Wow. Dave Ostlund was really really good especially when you consider he didn't even wrap the bar but just kinda fold the pads around it like he was using them as pot-holders or something.

I'll be curious to see this new guy.

Wow. Dave Ostlund was really really good especially when you consider he didn't even wrap the bar but just kinda fold the pads around it like he was using them as pot-holders or something.

I'll be curious to see this new guy.

He seemed pretty humble, and I don't know if he would want to have his cert video on the internet. I told him about the gripboard, maybe he'll come on here. I'll link to his Ironmind write-up when it comes out. BTW, he is also a C.O.C.

• Like 1

If I could smash a Red DU (without flipping it over) in imp's under a minute, I'd take out a commercial spot during the Super Bowl just to play that video!

But that is beastly! Look forward to seeing the write-up.

• Like 1

That's a monster right there. Those shoulders and traps are huge, no wonder he can DU so crazy strong. Anyone else notice the mouth guard?

Just bent a Red Nail in IMPs. It took several minutes, but I got it. EJ's huge hex bend inspired me to attempt it.

I did video it, but the IPad ran out of memory. So, here is the first seven minutes of the bend. I know it took me under 13 minutes, because that's how long the song playing is, and it was still playing when I got done.

post-19676-0-73810000-1403120663_thumb.j

• Like 3

Huge, huge improvement!! But this needs it's own thread. Start a new thread so it can get the appropriate feed back. We are all looking forward to your progress, but this will more than likely be missed and it shouldn't be. You put a ton of hard work in and your progress needs to be seen for new guys looking to cert.

Man nice fight!!! Way to stick that out. My knuckles would never allow me to keep at it like that if it was being stubborn. What's that song playing it kinda reminded me of some Clapton.

Congrats Joel. That is awesome!

Nice work man;)

Thanks guys. I just started a new topic for the bend. And yes, King Crusher, that is Derek & the Dominos live at the Fillmore playing in the background. One of my desert island CD's,

I have finally managed to film bending video. I had problems in finding steel and filming but here it is. Any technique advice is welcome.

• Like 1

I have finally managed to film bending video. I had problems in finding steel and filming but here it is. Any technique advice is welcome.

Nice to

see someone posted here, good job! You should try a red