Napalm Vs. Daniel Reinard

Jedd Johnson

I'm expecting to see indentations in the plates from Daniel's fingers. The Claaaaaaw!

Finally, good progress on this lift. Funny thing is 2x35+20 is fairly easy. I'm not sure if the plates are that much narrower or the better seasoning on the plates makes that big a difference. Either way decent air was had. Look out...

Vicious. The Claw's comin' at cha!

For those that are interested, I'll post my training info for this lift.

Day 1 (4/4)

Baseline testing. Adding weight via a string. Weights are loose. Pulls are hard dynamic high pulls and if the weight is swinging around on the string even better.

2x35+5

2x35+10

2x35+15

2x45 fails

2x45 negatives

Day 2 (4/11)

Same string and dynamic pulls. Still a bit more testing with 35s and adding weight.

2x35

2x35+5

2x35+10

2x35+15

2x35+17.5

2x35+20

2x45 fails and one good hop

2x35 hold for time finisher

Day 3 4/13

Non max, working sets day.

up to 2x35+17.5 singles with high pulls, holds and weights a swinging.

Congratulations on the hop Daniel!

I'm 100% convinced it's cuz those 45's have a new finish. I have a pair of 35's that I used to pinch with one hand. They were out in the backyard and had gotten pretty rusty on the inside of the dish. So like an idiot I decided to give them a fresh coat of rustoleum all over. Now I can't lift them cuz the finish is so slick.

Thanks Martin. I took a good look at the thicknesses of the 35s and 45s at the gym and the 45s are ~1.5mm wider. So 3mm wider in a pair. That's enough to make things noticably tougher, and yes the finish isn't as favorable for some reason. It's all good. I am using the heck out of these so when they can be lifted most other 45s should be lifted too.

I'm really hoping this training is going to translate to bigger 2HP numbers too.

Finally, good progress on this lift. Funny thing is 2x35+20 is fairly easy. I'm not sure if the plates are that much narrower or the better seasoning on the plates makes that big a difference. Either way decent air was had. Look out...

Cool vid, and great to see some air on the 2 45's...you'll have it in no time

The Day 4 workout went well today. The 45s didn't feel right, I couldn't find one plate that had chalk on it and the ones I grabbed were bowed, literally, so they didn't fit well. Warmup with the 2x35s and rope felt great so I went back to that for a successful 2x35+27.5, a 7.5# PR.

2x35 singles

2x35+10

2x45 fail

2x35+20

2x35+22.5

2x35+25

2x35+25 again, felt even better both hands

2x35+27.5

2x35 timed holds finisher

LH got a good hold for control but the RH couldn't control it for long.

Great stuff and I like the friendly competition between you both! Daniel, I fully expect to log on one of these days and see that you've facelifted THE EARTH.

I have a video of my most recent attempts. Progress was made. I need to upload it!

• Like 1

I ever so slightly was able to get a slight touch of air beneath the plates over the weekend.

It was a beautiful day Saturday before my daughter's second birthday, so I took the stuff outside to shoot the Workout of the Month at The Grip Authority. I showed the members some ways to train for pinching feats like plate pinch deadlifts and block weights.

But before I got into the drills, I did some testing to see how everything felt and I was able to get two good pulls right-handed.

Seriously the air probably was an immeasurable separation from the floor. On the second one, it didn't break free from the ground, but it was very close and it was hovering enough for me to swivel them. It was like they were pivoting or something.

It's nice seeing some progress with this. Can't wait to try them again.

Nice work out there, Daniel.

Jedd

P.S. If you'd like to check out this month's Workout of the Month, join me at TheGripAuthority.com

You guys are awesome. Hilarious video Jedd, and good progress. Dan, impressive as well.

Edited by Idiedintothe

Oh, you think it's funny because I damn near spiked a football because I *almost* got air under these, eh?

Not the feat so much as your commentary; " Ooooooh! Swivelin'!" :upsidedwn It's just one of those things when someone says something in just the right way to make it hilarious.

Wait... Yes... Your excitement. Right.

Cool vid, and great to see some air on the 2 45's...you'll have it in no time

I had to watch that video twice. The first time a cute girl walked by and I compleatley forgot what you were doing. I focused on the lift the second time...Great hop!

Oh man, Jedd I was so rooting on that second attempt. Good movement man!

I'll hit some more pinch tomorrow, something a little different. Then next week i'll test the 2x45s again. Hopefully both hands show good progress.

Thanks bro. I am sure it seems weird that I get excited about nearly non-existent movement, but I've tried this feat off and on for over 5 years and never been able to get even a stir from these plates.

How much harder are the York 45's vs regular 45's?

The first time I ever tried to pinch (2) 45's was at Paul's competition last year, my first competition... BUT i dont know if they were standard plates or York plates?

How much harder are the York 45's vs regular 45's?

The first time I ever tried to pinch (2) 45's was at Paul's competition last year, my first competition... BUT i dont know if they were standard plates or York plates?

Ross - where ya been buddy?

Good progress guys! If I wasn't already working on something I would have to get in on this for lifting my wide ass Gibsons in a pinch lift. Hope you guys get this soon!

- Aaron

Ross,

York 45's are immensely more difficult that regular thin 45's. I have pinched lots of narrow 45's.

If you pinched two york 45's, you are THE MAN!

Ross,

York 45's are immensely more difficult that regular thin 45's. I have pinched lots of narrow 45's.

If you pinched two york 45's, you are THE MAN!

Jedd,

What's the width of the OSYs?

Hit the thumbs again today. Did a variation of lifts then went to do a 2 hand hold for time on wider 45s that measure 3.4". Before I went for the timed hold finisher I gave them a few 1 hand attempts and had some PRs. RH finally showed some promise and the LH got 5" air, about 3x the air seen in this video which was the final attempt. I expect, after the skin grows back, to lock these out LH and get darn close RH.

2x45 attempts 3x each hand

2x45 2 hand 30 second holds 2x

Edited by daniel reinard