Napalm Vs. Daniel Reinard

Jedd Johnson

One of the guys I have been keeping in pretty good contact with recently has been Daniel Reinard. Dude is blowing up.

So, I broached the idea of a challenge log here, and he agreed. Then it was just a matter of figuring out what we would go after.

One of the things I've wanted to do for a long time is put some time in on 2 York 45's. I mean, it's just not right that the only dude doing this these days as Chad.

I suggested to Daniel that maybe he could go for regular 45's and he agreed.

I shot this video to show where I am at right now. Incidentally, don't look at the twitching of the plates and think I am close to breaking these off the ground or something, because that isn't the case. In the vid, I used a PVC pipe to keep the plates together.

Daniel's going to be posting here soon, but the public race is officially on like the break of dawn. We've been training for two weeks towards out respective goals. I was supposed to post something a few days ago and did not get around to it.

I hope you follow along with us as we push one another. Make sure you subscribe to our channels.

Jedd

• Like 1

Daniel's relentless!!! This should be close!

Train them pinching straight up vs. the 2HP tilt and you'll get them in no time!

Thanks for the challenge Jedd and for putting this together. This will be a ton of fun!

I've been working off and on for the 2x45 for awhile now. This is something I need to keep ON the goal. I've lifted 2x45 once before in a contest medley on an "easy" pair up onto a ~4" platform. But all other 45s stump me and it's frustrating to be shut down like that. Jedd will keep the heat on and it appears he has a small lead. So it's high gear time to start dominating the 2x45 lift!!

I actually shot this vid on Tuesday mid workout. It was my first session after the challenge which was taking place between bench press sets. I felt pretty good this day. 2x35+15 tied through the holes felt easy. I could rip them up past the waist and even with the rope and swing of the 15# on take-off it was solid. This was my first try that day with 2x45. An attempt after this video had slightly better movement but marginal imo. These plates were just unchalked gym plates with texture slightly less then that of the 35s I tried. None-the-less I want to work on various 45s to get to a level of dominance in which no matter the thickness or seasoning they can be pinched.

Oh hell yeah! Napalm vs. The Brent One was an entertaining thread. I'm sure this won't be any different!

Napalm vs. The Claw! This is going to be good.

I think what Jedd fails to recognize is that I don't lose in races...anymore. He was able to beat me at the blob+weight challenge at his house at WSH leg 3 but he should of walked away with the win. I'm very hunger for redemption...

Daniel I must say you are quite possibly the most impressive grip athlete I know. In paticular, your ability to make rapid gains is unmatched and is something I hold in awe...and insane jealousy! If I could only make improvements in any one aspect of grip as you are making in all aspects that you do I would ecstatic! Jedd, your hands look enormous on film and you hold the WR in the 2HP or so I've been told, plus you are strong as heck and have that 90lb biscep curl video which I have always wanted to do! I will be watching this thread closely. :) May the best man win.

-Jordan

Really looking forward to following this. Go get it guys!

Daniel's going to be posting here soon, but the public race is officially on like the break of dawn

I think what Jedd fails to recognize is that I don't lose in races...anymore....

Heh. Should be fun. -Nathaniel

Train them pinching straight up vs. the 2HP tilt and you'll get them in no time!

Not so sure about that. They still slide when straight.

Oh hell yeah! Napalm vs. The Brent One was an entertaining thread. I'm sure this won't be any different!

Still waiting for Brent to finish that race.

Not so sure about that. They still slide when straight.

You're still not getting even pressure then. Put them on a deload device so you can find the sweetspot as far as keeping them together and then you'll know your grip and will just have to get stronger (but probably not much for you).

I think I follow you, Josh - I will give that a try.

I built a Rick Walker-esque Deload Brown device and messed with mine until I found how to grip them without them squirting apart. For me, and I'm sure it's different for everybody depending on how your hand is, I have to almost fully extend my wrist and almost crimp grip them. If I do more of the neutral wrist I get too much finger pressure/not enough thumb and they come apart. Now I wasn't strong enough to pull them at full load but I was able to neutralize the slipping they're famous for. We're in the middle of a move so almost all of my grip stuff is in storeage or I'd shoot a vid and show you what I was talking about.

That actually makes complete sense to be sans video because that is what I have to do as well. I think the main thing for me is is going to be getting used to that wrist position while generating pinching force.

Thanks Josh.

Daniel its been 3 days and you have not won yet. Are you even trying?

Daniel its been 3 days and you have not won yet. Are you even trying?

Gravity is a little tough over here at 10'. In the 29 years i've been here this year it's been the toughest.

You live at 10 feet elevation? Try Flagstaff @ 7000 feet. Gravity is a bit less but the lack of oxygen cancels out the gain untill you get used to it.

I didn't know flagstaff was up that high. I used to do basketall camps in Lake Tahoe at 8,000' and I hit the mountains often enough for backpacking or snowboarding that elevation doesn't bother me.

A lot of athletes come from around the world to train up here. I got to meet the Russian woman’s swim team working out at the universities gym. Most of them could do very well in grip sport @ 6’4” wide shouldered and very muscular! I was very quiet at the gym that day.

• Like 2

He's probably preparing a vid where he pinches the 45's in one hand, while he facelifts a fatman in the other. Give him a few more days.