The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

November 2, 2012

Noon

Well I did some pulls against bands at lunch today. They went alright and would have me in around 565-575# beltless. Started doing my assistance work and I just couldn't get in there mentally plus my right arm was (is) bugging me again so I called 'er quits.

Gail also came back down and I had her work on some squats again. Big improvements. Had her do 3 x 5r of just body weight squats then to the bar. Any failure is just mental at this stage and I watched her go from not wanting to hold the bar on her back to doing 5 easy reps. It's coming and I think she'll really enjoy telling negative thoughts to f off and get those successes. Finished with 15 total reps of 24k kettlebell deadlifting (about 3-4 sets).

1) Deadlift against 12" IW mini-bands ~80-85#

135 x 5, 5

225 x 3

315 x 3

405 x 3, 5

2) Front Squat

45 x 3

135 x 3

230 x 3 - Just didn't feel good so I stopped.

November 3, 2012

Noonish

Upper arm is still feeling like crap and it kept me from my bench volume and I didn't feel like rows or chins with it feeling like this. I did some arm work though and probably should've left the bicep iso's alone for today.

1) Bench Press - All long pauses

45 x 5, 5

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 1

275 x 1

300 x 5 x 1r

2) Bench w/Slingshot

320 x 4.5 - Arm killed and I couldn't lockout my 5th.

3) 2-3/8" Thumbless/Cupped DB Pulls

80 x 3

100 x 1

120 x 3 x 1r - The first pick righty it popped out at the top, that's why the vid shows me starting with the left. I accidentally cut it out. Man that snap of the fingers when it popped out sure stung.

4) 2.5" Crusher Wrist Curls - Table Start

50 x 20

70 x 10

5) Curls Iso's

60 x 1

70 x 1 - Right just isn't up to it.

6) Wrist Rocker - Table Start

100r Each Way - Get some blood in there

November 5, 2012

Noon

Taking this week to do some deloading and see if I can get some of my fire back. Not sure but I might have a bit of a cold too seeings as I'm full of snot. My right arm was killing me after doing those dumbbell lifts as well. Man I hope it clears up soon. I was going to do some chins but not with my arm acting up.

1a) Paused Squats - All Beltless

45 x 5

135 x 3

225 x 1

315 x 1

365 x 3 x 1r

1b) 2-3/8" Dumbbell Picks

80 x 5

100 x 1

120 x 1

130 x 1

140 x hops (actually it'd be about 143# by the scale)

138 x 1, hops

• Like 1

Nice work! You're a strong fella. Your man cave/courage corner/workout room is excellent. Lots of man-building iron in there. Keep at it, man.

Tom

• Like 1

Nice work! You're a strong fella. Your man cave/courage corner/workout room is excellent. Lots of man-building iron in there. Keep at it, man.

Tom

Thanks man! I'm guessing I can't be doing to bad if I can make some gains at 40 in a cramped and peach coloured room :laugh

Stinks that you have been having some aches and pains lately. I know how frustrating it can be. My ankle has been acting up the last couple weeks and its holding me back on squats and Deadlifts. I wrap it up but it still causes me discomfort. I hope you heal up soon buddy.

Stinks that you have been having some aches and pains lately. I know how frustrating it can be. My ankle has been acting up the last couple weeks and its holding me back on squats and Deadlifts. I wrap it up but it still caruses me discomfort. I hope you heal up soon buddy.

Thanks buddy. Ya she's a weird niggle for sure. I'll leave it be until I get some table time again on Wednesday as it didn't bug it last week.

Hope your ankle clears up. That's one spot I'm amazed that hasn't bugged me yet as my right one's full of screws and plates. Busted my foot almost off with the exception of my hide holding most of it together about 14 years ago.

Nice 2-3/8" dumbbell pulls....I just started those about a month ago and I'm going to alternate between them and RT every three weeks.

Hope that arm heals up quick!

• Like 1

Nice 2-3/8" dumbbell pulls....I just started those about a month ago and I'm going to alternate between them and RT every three weeks.

Hope that arm heals up quick!

Thanks bud. I think I'll stick to some sort of thick bar and keep rotating them around every 3 or so weeks.

November 7, 2012

Noon

Some deload work for my shoulders and pressing girdle. Tried to move through this as quickly as possible.

1a) Ring Chins

BW x 5 x 3r

1b.1) Incline KB Press

24k ea x 20, 18, 15

1b.2) Climber Curl Ext.

10# x 2 x 30r

Tonight I've got some arm wrestling table time lined up.

November 9, 2012

Noon

Just a quicky. Still a bit pooped from Wednesday's arm wrestling practice so I threw on the straps for this last set. Felt good as I wasn't overly fired up, just grinding them out.

Deadlifts - CV

135 x 5

225 x 3

315 x 1

405 x 1

505 x 3

They sure ass hell looked heavy, but that weight x3 is still strong in my book!

Thanks buddy! Oh ya, they felt heavy lol! I think if I had my head in the game I'd be good for 4-5 dead stop pulls with that.

• Like 1

November 10, 2012

Noonish

Bench Press - Paused

45 x 10, 10

135 x 3

185 x 2

225 x 1

275 x 1

305 x 1

2-3/8" DB Deads

109 x 5

124 x 3, 2, 3, 2

KB Rows - Thumbless

124# x 3 x 5r

Wrist Str. Hammer Curls - Top/Ew

12.5# x Bunch (20-30 reps each way)

Curls Iso's

70 x 2 x 1r

Hook Wrist Curls on the Table

50# x a bunch

Climber Ext Curls

10# x 2 x a bunch

I have a video uploading for Darrin as well. I would've done more iso's and table work but I niggled my arm a tad with my second iso.

That's a workout bro - nice!

Thanks big dog!

I wanted to do a tad more. I don't think I really needed to though as I've been stretching and rolling out my flexors all day as is lol!

November 12, 2012

Noonish

Well today starts a new training block. A little different than the last few and I'm looking forward to it. Down to 3 days per week plus and arm wrestling day. I decided I'm going to give 'er a while beltless as I don't think I really use one effectively anyways lol!

1a) Rolling Thunder

100 x 5

125 x 1

140 x 1 - Wow this was tough. Still not recouped from Saturday obviously so I decided to leave it alone.

1a) 4" HSS One Hand Pinch

46# x 3 x 8r

1b) Paused Squats - Beltless

I should mention before the bar gets on my back I do some stretching to get it there and some bodyweight squats to get the IT bands limbered up a bit.

45 x 5

135 x 3

225 x 1

345 x 5

2a) Paused GM's - Cambered Bar - Beltless

85 x 3

135 x 3

225 x 3

315 x 3

365 x 3 x 5r - Felt good

2b) Ring Chins

BW (267.4#) x 5 x 3r

3a) Bench - Medium Effort

45 x 10

135 x 5

205 x 3 x 10r

3b) Table Back Pressure/Curl Iso's

Avr Band x 2 x bunch

4) Wrist Rocker - 100r Each Way

Great videos. Kind of trippy when the camera toppled over.

Great videos. Kind of trippy when the camera toppled over.

Thanks bud! Trying some Hitchcock cinematography lol!

November 15, 2012

Before Supper

Wow I'm beat to hell from last nights arm wrestling practice but at least it isn't injury type pain, just good ol' adaption! Definitely getting stronger and more confident at the table but I still need a bunch of work to keep honing in my technique. This stuff's a blast!

1) Deadlift

135 x 5

225 x 3

315 x 1

405 x 1

475 x 1

18" Deadlifts - 2 Blocks

495 x 3

545 x 3

565 x 3

Add belt and straps. Arms are freaking sore from arm wrestling.

585 x 3

605 x 3

495 x 9 - Damn I wanted 10 but I freaking worked my guts out for 9 so I feel pretty damn good....then I noticed what was next..Fhaaak!

3) Squats - Beltless - Rock Bottom

45 x 5, 3

135 x 3

210 x 3 x 10r - Not to bad once the first couple of reps were gone but I'm bagged.

4) DB Bench

85 x 10 - That was enough. Arms are killing me so I didn't do any more of these or the chins.

November 17, 2012

Noonish

Arms are still beat from arm wrestling. It's affecting my pressing so I did very minimal AW type training as I need to get healed up. I think it'll just be practicing the movement patterns with a little weight and keep the actual AW strength work to table practice for a while.

1) Seated BB Shoulder Press

45 x 10

95 x 5

135 x 3

155 x 1

175 x 3 x 3r

2) Bench Press - 3 Count Pauses on First Reps

45 x 10

135 x 3

225 x 1

275 x 1

300 x 1

205 x 10, 10, 10, 7+2+1 - Very minimal rest between sets. On the last set that I missed 10 straight through I used the DC, 3 breaths rest protocol and didn't bother with the 5th set after that.

Low Cable Rows - Strict - Done between pressing sets

100 x 20

150 x 4 x 20r

Some AW type work.

November 19, 2012

Before Supper

Well tonight's pause squats felt good and I'm keeping the progression for just a 10# PR which should be very easy to hit, especially since the 420 I did was belted. I was supposed to rest the GM's reps and obviously I need someone yelling at me during my sets lol! Still feeling good without the belt though.

My right upper arm is still niggled and is really aggravated by chins and such so I think I may have to leave them for a bit and test some movements to see if there's anything I can do in their place for now. The pain was good enough to keep me from doing some bench assistance work tonight as well. Funny thing is that arm wrestling practice doesn't hurt it and I feel a bit better after.

1) Paused Squats - Beltless

45 x 5, 3

135 x 3

225 x 1

315 x 1

365 x 1

390 x 3 - Felt good

2a) Camber Bar Rested GM's - Beltless

85 x 3

135 x 3

225 x 3

315 x 3