The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

Jason - that is just amazing strength off the floor!!!! Congrats on the new PR!!!

Jason - that is just amazing strength off the floor!!!! Congrats on the new PR!!!

Thanks bud! Coach has some technique and strength stuff to help my pulls a bunch to help the top of my lift so hopefully I can rocket through the whole damn thing eventually lol

September 24, 2012

Before Supper

Got some work in, enough for a sweat but not enough to kill myself as it's the first week back since peaking last week. Time to get work in again for another ramp up! I also pulled out the Saxon bar for the first time since last winter. Today was also my first time doing any sort of two hand pinch in months and I got a 5# PR and a pretty decent hop with an extra 15#.

1a) Squat

45 x 5, 5

135 x 3

225 x 1

315 x 1

Add Belt

385 x 1

420 x 3 x 1r - all paused

1b) Saxon Bar Pulls

155 x 5, 5

175 x 3

200 x 1

210 x 1

220 x 1 PR

230 x F - Approx. 6"

225 x F - Approx. 6" again

2a) Paused Squats - Long 3 counts

295 x 2 x 5r

2b) Saxon Bar Pulls - Just past the knees

175 x 2 x 5r

Nice job Jason ! Always a good time to watch your vids !! Keep up the hard work man !!

Thanks buddy! I hope all's well with you these days.

September 26, 2012

Noon

Keeping it pretty medium intensity today since I peaked last week. I also dropped any back and curling stuff for today since tonight in taking my first crack at learning arm wrestling. 

One of Canada's top 90kg pullers (Fraser Benoit) invited me over to start training tonight. I'm not sure what to expect buy lots of work and pain lol! I'm basically as green as green can be with this stuff but with Fraser's experience I'm stoked to learn. Another possible benefit of this is meeting some folks who might get interested in grip sport. It'd be awesome if we could pull together some comps here in Alberta. 

Seated Overhead Barbell Press - Full count pauses at the bottom of each rep

45 x 10

95 x 5

135 x 1

170 x 5 x 3r

I'll have to document the arm wrestling practice as best as possible later on or tomorrow morning. 

September 26, 2012

After Supper

Well I figured I'd give a quick blurb on my first time at an arm-wresting table. It was awesome! So far it looks like I'll be driving over to Fraser's every Wednesday to keep the learning going. He's a really decent guy and built like you'd expect a AW national champ. For you fellow griptards out there, remember that picture of Kinney's hand? Fraser's is about twice as big and thick.

After introductions and showing me around the table we went through some warm-ups then he began by showing me how to do basic hooking and some top-roll defense. Sweated my guts out! I've got a lot to learn plus there are whole new muscle memory movements that have to be adapted to and mastered. This is one of the great things about this though, learning how to express strength.

Later we BS'd a bit about training and exercises which I won't be sharing out of respect for Fraser.

One of the things that surprised me (and I'm grateful for) is I'm not feeling beat to hell today. I think this is due to a number of things including; Fraser being a very experienced puller and knowing how to effectively coach, my years of strength feats and specifically reverse bending, the last 6 weeks of doing the high rep Rolling Thunder workouts, good recovery nutrition and lastly popping some ibuprofen an hour before :D

September 28, 2012

Noon

Well I felt pretty damn good yesterday considering the hour plus of table work. I ended up fiddling around with my heavy hammer, some bands and other stuff I won't name. At the end of it I figured I may as well start some gripper work again. Bad idea. I warmed up and did my first work set of 5 reps with 75% and about a minute after I was done I had searing pain through both biceps and elbows. Similar to when I was really pushing the Vulcan or doing to much reverse bending. A bunch of ibu and Voltarin later and i was comfortable enough to raise my arms. Fhak I haven't had that happen in ages.

Anyways today my elbow pits are a little tender but not bad. Did some 80% pulls and a little assistance work to get ready to start next weeks cycle on up again. With the ab wheel I only did about half a set as my elbows were feeling a little "off".

1) Deadlift - CV

Double Overhand

135 x 5, 5

225 x 2

315 x 1

405 x 1

Switched to an alternate grip. I wanted to do them all DO today but my grip didn't feel that secure with the 405 and I want my thumbs to heal a bit from hooking. The first two sets I did with the left supinated which is my typical AG and switched to the right supinated to give my arms a change and balance.

450 x 5 x 1r

2) SLDL - Strapped

225 x 20

3) Ab Wheel

BW x 10

September 29, 2012

Noon

Just some 80% benching and some volume/rehab work to assist with my pulling. I'm thinking at this stage of the game I'll use the tabletop to develop strength and use my Saturday's to do some rehab assistance work for the pulling. Elbows were still feeling a bit niggled through the benching but once the thick bar work started they felt a ton better by getting the blood in there.

1) Bench Press - Med Grip - Paused top and bottoms

45 x 10, 10

135 x 3

185 x 2

225 x 1

265 x 5 x 3r

2) BB Row w/Manus Grips

135 x 2 x 30r

3) Band Pressdowns

MM x 25, 20

4) Poundstone Curls

45 x 55

5) 2-3/8" Wrist Roller - Set at 39" pull

25 x Flexion 4, Extension 6

I can barely type this lol! I had to get my wife to put the lid on my shaker cup as well. I was having a LOT of trouble with the protein tub lids hahaha!

September 30, 2012

Afternoon

Just did some AW strength work while watching the tube.

1) Band Iso's in the start position with my 20" Ironwoody

2 x 30 seconds - Band over palm

2 x 30 seconds - Band over thumb

2) Heavy Hammer Pronation

10# x 3 x 20r

3) Finger Work

October 1, 2012

Noon

1a) Paused Squats

45 x 5, 5

135 x 1

225 x 1

315 x 1

Add Belt

360 x 5 x 3r

1b) Sumo Axle Deads

123 x 5

173 x 3

213 x 3

263 x 1

283 x 1

303 x 1

263 x 5 x 3r

2) Squat w/Belt

325 x 10

3) Power Bar Chain Suspended GM's

135 x 5

225 x 5 - Back was feeling a bit pooped so I stopped here.

October 2, 2012

Well I don't know what's the cause of it. Last week (and feeling fine) I did a gripper set of 5 with 75% which just freaking DESTROYED my arms. Today I decided to try a few reps TNS with a #1 and the pain was there in the background as well so I didn't push it.

A couple of thoughts as to why this may be happening. One is I haven't done any gripper work in probably 7-8 weeks and I'm not accustomed to the dynamic nature of grippers right now. Sure get a lot of clicking and popping with that first rep. The second thought I've had is that both of these attempts were done after last Wednesday's AW practice and maybe I've got some adhesions that are being moved about from the gripper work. I'm more inclined to think the first thought is the correct one as I've trained with bands and such a couple of times since doing AW movements without any problem.

I'm thinking also about going to choker work as I can just concentrate on the explosive closes and maybe skip the pain which is very reminiscent of when I was doing higher volume gripper work and reverse bending to much.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Edited by Shoggoth

October 3, 2012

Noon

Lunchtime workout done. Table time tonight. I hope I'm not to pooped (I don't think so) and that my elbows don't give me grief.

1) Seated BB Shoulder Press against mini bands

45 x 10, 5

95 x 3

135 x 3

155 x 3

175 x 3

140 x 8, 8, 6

2) Ring Chins - AMRAP in 15 minutes

BW (258.2#) x 28

3) Lying Tate Press

40ea x 19, 17, 15, 12

4) Hammer Curl - Would've normally used fat grips but I don't want to cook my hands before tonight.

40ea x 20, 15

is that peter sellers in your icon?

I think it's Randy Quaid...but I'm not sure why. :)

Randy Quaid in Vacation.

lol. Whoa...I can't believe that was almost 30 years ago.

BTW Jason... I bet you could use a cool one huh?

Randy Quaid in Vacation.

lol. Whoa...I can't believe that was almost 30 years ago.

BTW Jason... I bet you could use a cool one huh?

A little early for me hahaha!

I am a tad wore out today after last nights pulling. Fraser taught me a bit more and worked me harder yet. I also brought a couple of grip toys for him to look at as well and I'll probably do some welding for him.

Did some reverse bending as well. When I did a gr8 something crunched in my left elbow. I'm hoping it was just some muscle adhesions letting loose but it may have been done ligament stretching. Not really a painful feeling, just weird even as I type this.

Lots of fish oil, vitamins, rest, etc. Still all in all I don't feel to terrible after sweating my guts out with this stuff.

October 5, 2012

Today was one of those days when my mind was trying to defeat me from the beginning. Triceps, lats and my left elbow (from reverse bending) were all inflamed and feeling like crap. To start with I was thinking "just do the main pulls and call it quits, recover for later". I went in and hit my first deadlifts against bands wearing elbow sleeves and straps to try and help. Popped some ibu as well. Lo and behold after I did my second last rep I felt great! Nothing like deads, squats and fish oil to cure everything. I ran out of time during my lunch hour to get into anything else so I left the rest for after work.

Here my brain fired up again with negative crap. "Just do your pulls and call 'er good" Anyways I did my full workout, hit all of my reps and feel great. It's pretty good to reinforce this every now and then, your body's capable of doing it's job. It's usually self doubt and laziness that'll stall your progress and let you sit on the couch when you could be giving an hours work of sweat to a better life.

Noon

Deadlift against 12" IronWoody Bands ~80# at the top, no belt

135 + Bands x 5

225 + Bands x 2

315 + Bands x 1

365 + Bands x 1

405 + Bands x 1

455 + Bands x 1

465 + Bands x 1

475 + Bands x F

Talc Thighs

475 + Bands x 1 grinder

Before Supper

Deadlift, no belt

135 x 5

225 x 2

315 x 1

405 x 1

420 x 5 x 3r

Front Squats

45 x 5

135 x 3

185 x 3

Add belt

205 x 11 - I wanted 10 but lost count in the middle somewhere. All felt nice and easy though.

Band GM's - Really squeezed the glutes and low back hard at the top

2 x Average x 22, 15

• Like 1

wow, 2 dl workouts in one day..good recovery

Danke man!

They were supposed to be done together. None of the pulls actually taxed me very much.

• Like 1

Strong Work Jason. Way to push through the workout.

That was the shakiest video I have seen :sick: . Too much Coffee?

Any how I still enjoyed the scenery.

• Like 1

Strong Work Jason. Way to push through the workout.

Thanks man. I remember some workouts I had a few years ago where I was sick, headachy, full of snot and just feeling like utter crap. 2-3 sets later, healed :D It's just getting my butt down there for those first 2-3 sets but as I get older its getting easier.