Durniat Strength Grip Challenge

BGgrip

Excellent, I think I'd like to participate. And that's early enough in the semester that it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe we will and the date will be Saturday, February 2. Open class but the medley will again be geared towards the novice/beginner competitor.

dammit, any day but that. oh well. it is what it is.

I believe we will and the date will be Saturday, February 2. Open class but the medley will again be geared towards the novice/beginner competitor.

I hope you can move whatever you have going on that day Chuck. I plan on driving out for this comp again and I was hoping we could compete together again.

I hope you can move whatever you have going on that day Chuck. I plan on driving out for this comp again and I was hoping we could compete together again.

well, i was gonna do a strongman comp. that had a weightclass (175) for me. i was all excited till today when i called them. they are limiting it to 3/weightclass and i have to join the north american strongman federation. so essentially, there will be a max of 12 male competitors and i will have to pay $77 to just give something a try for the first time. i was very excited to do it because the events really jived with my training. but now i am having serious second thoughts. i really want to do a strongman comp. so i am gonna have see if maybe there are other options.

That is something that I have always seen as a turn-off about Strongman. I think eventually it would help Grip Sport out to have a membership, but that much money seems excessive to me. I competed in Strongman for several years so I know about the membership fees, just couldn't remember exactly what they were.

You may be able to find non-sanctioned contests. They won't be on the NASS site though.

That is something that I have always seen as a turn-off about Strongman. I think eventually it would help Grip Sport out to have a membership, but that much money seems excessive to me. I competed in Strongman for several years so I know about the membership fees, just couldn't remember exactly what they were.

You may be able to find non-sanctioned contests. They won't be on the NASS site though.

actually the membership fee was $42 and the event was $35. the membership thing turned me off because i am not sure if i will even like it let alone travel to do another event within my annual membership time. another thing that turned me off was the cap of 3/weightclass. i want to get together with as many as possible for camaraderie and to hopefully learn from many people.

i am sure there may be legit reasons to limiting numbers but i am not sure why especially if it is a sanctioned event. how would you like to be a member and active competitor locked out of a competition in your backyard because a beginner like myself signed up a minute sooner. seems to me that if it is a sanctioned event, that it should be required to be open to as many members as want to compete. also, the top 2 from each weight class get an invite to the championship.

i am looking for another event and may have found something.

Membership? That's a bummer.

Yes and no. A National organization has benefits to it - especially from a legal liability aspect for the promoters. Something guys who just show up - have a good time - and go back home never consider.

Membership? That's a bummer.

Yes and no. A National organization has benefits to it - especially from a legal liability aspect for the promoters. Something guys who just show up - have a good time - and go back home never consider.

I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there going to be another of these contests in 2013?

Anyone know if there is more information about this any where?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering the same thing...

I was just wondering the same thing...

Andrew Druniat wrote in the North American Grip championship thread that he is not holding this competition this year http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=39741&page=2#entry559404 Post #21.