Elite Status For The 82.5 Division

EricMilfeld

Just a fun topic to kick around: should there be an elite ranking for the light weight class, and what would the qualifying total be?

Yes, the class is small in number, but I think an elite status to strive for would pique interest in this division. I think 700 pounds or so would be proportionate to the 800 standard.

Just a fun topic to kick around: should there be an elite ranking for the light weight class, and what would the qualifying total be?

Yes, the class is small in number, but I think an elite status to strive for would pique interest in this division. I think 700 pounds or so would be proportionate to the 800 standard.

What are the best lifts in the big 3 lifts so far in that class? The 2HP is 206# I know - I can't remember the gripper and axle lifts for it off hand.

Something else that might be kicked around. Gripmas has a 4 year history of a 94 kilo (207.25#) class - Bob Lipinski has also held that weight class a couple years - so it has a much longer history in Grip Strength Competitions than the 82.5 class does. Should we have a records and /or Elite class for it as well?

Edited by climber511

I love the idea, of course. :).

I'd like to see more qualifiers than just three lift total. Wasn't this on the table for the existing elite class as well? But back to the 82.5 class, qualifiers could be a combo of things like:

Over 82.5kg 2HP

300 axle

160+ gripper

20mm Vulcan L15+

Winning a WSH Leg

• Like 1

I think there are enough competitors in grip now to warrant even three classes: say 82.5, 100, and unlimited. Now that there is a lighter weight class being contested I suspect interest amongst the lighter guys will increase, whereas there might have been some reservation previously due to the considerable weight disadvantage.

I suggested a third weight class at 100k a few months ago so, naturally, I agree.

I think there are enough competitors in grip now to warrant even three classes: say 82.5, 100, and unlimited. Now that there is a lighter weight class being contested I suspect interest amongst the lighter guys will increase, whereas there might have been some reservation previously due to the considerable weight disadvantage.

Maybe a lightweight elite total could be 750. 700 sounds too low. After all it is supposed to be an elite total. At the least an Elite LW should be at the top of the pack in the open class, and again this sounds more like 750. Broken down might look like grippers 170, 2HP 220, and axle 360.

Over 82.5kg 2HP

300 axle

160+ gripper

20mm Vulcan L15+

Winning a WSH Leg

Sorry Matt. All those sounds too low. 181 is an easy 2HP for anyone that has put their time in. Look at Brenden Gerber, that guy set the record at a very young age. A 165 or more sounds like a must, with a 20mm block set. L15, meh, the way vulcan springs are now who knows what a L15 is. Now winning a WSH is a sweet prerequisite but it ties the althete to a specific comp, not a local one. 300 axle is pretty low. Just yesterday I did 306.8# for max reps, got 12.

I do agree though that there could be more than way to total elite but just because it's the 82.5kg class I'd like to not see it watered down too much.

Maybe a lightweight elite total could be 750. 700 sounds too low. After all it is supposed to be an elite total. At the least an Elite LW should be at the top of the pack in the open class, and again this sounds more like 750. Broken down might look like grippers 170, 2HP 220, and axle 360.

Over 82.5kg 2HP

300 axle

160+ gripper

20mm Vulcan L15+

Winning a WSH Leg

Sorry Matt. All those sounds too low. 181 is an easy 2HP for anyone that has put their time in. Look at Brenden Gerber, that guy set the record at a very young age. A 165 or more sounds like a must, with a 20mm block set. L15, meh, the way vulcan springs are now who knows what a L15 is. Now winning a WSH is a sweet prerequisite but it ties the althete to a specific comp, not a local one. 300 axle is pretty low. Just yesterday I did 306.8# for max reps, got 12.

I do agree though that there could be more than way to total elite but just because it's the 82.5kg class I'd like to not see it watered down too much.

Good points. I guess I agree that the 700 might be a tad on the low end. I just threw it out there as a nice even number.

Mikael, I didn't realize you suggested a 100 kilo class. I guess I'm forever a step behind. Great minds... or is it old minds think alike?

Eric, I finally found that post i was referring to.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

If a third weight class is added I would vote for a 100k class as (apart from being an even number) it was around for decades. It was originally introduced in USA in 1967 in PL and adopted in international OL the year after.

Three weight classes is not excessive and should cater for most people, new and established ones.

Does anyone at the 199 class even have a 750 total.

I need to look again but most guys who competed in WSH at 82.5 did not lift over 82.5. I wouldn't say is an easy lift for this class. The ones who were over set world records.

Guys like brandon while young, I doubt will be 82.5 for long. So far the major players in the 82.5 class seem to be very near the limit for weight. Dan, I think you've said you'll never watch your weight again.

Just some thoughts for discussion. I agree the total should be hard enough that not just anyone can make the cut.

• Like 1

My competition total for the 3 lifts is 742# at a BW of about 200#. - somewhere around 775# if we look at training lifts.

Does anyone at the 199 class even have a 750 total.

I need to look again but most guys who competed in WSH at 82.5 did not lift over 82.5. I wouldn't say is an easy lift for this class. The ones who were over set world records.

Guys like brandon while young, I doubt will be 82.5 for long. So far the major players in the 82.5 class seem to be very near the limit for weight. Dan, I think you've said you'll never watch your weight again.

Just some thoughts for discussion. I agree the total should be hard enough that not just anyone can make the cut.

good points Matt. I guess I put the weights above what I can do personally because I don't see myself as an elite LW. Being that the class is really new I think the total should be above what is currently being done. That way people can chase after the elite title to obtain that special class, much like the main elite class.

You are correct about me wanting to eat greasy foods again. I have overall strength goals I'd like to achieve along with grip goals, the main one being an 800# elite total and the possibility to compete at least once in powerlifting.

I guess my feeling is that if you're not elite 82.5kg class, dan, then who is! :) You're like 82.5 glitterati. I was serious when I said I'm waiting for the Milo article "is Daniel Reinard for real?" You're the 82.5 Andrew Durniat.

I don't want to lose sight of the whole reason for lighter classes. Because it's simply not possible to put up the same numbers.

I'm all for very challenging door-openers though. I admit the ideas I had above may be a little low. If I could highlight one thing I'd really like to see it would be a few more ways to get in and that would be for all the classes.

• Like 1

Hmmm. A lot to consider. I guess I'm on the fence now between 700 and 725. Couldn't it always be raised if it legions of lightweights start totaling Elite?

Mikael, I always thought that only two weight divisions is awkward at best. It basically divides everyone into two categories: tiny and huge. And I want to be able to eat Cheesecake. The food of the gods. So a middleweight division is mandatory.

Just throwing some things out there

85.5K - 181# class - 725# to 733# or so

100K - 220# class - 750# to 766# or so

Over 100K - 220# class - 800#

Sound close maybe?

For all the reasons stated so many times before- the only way to grow the sport is going to be to level the playing field somewhat.

• Like 1

Sound close maybe?

For all the reasons stated so many times before- the only way to grow the sport is going to be to level the playing field somewhat.

Those seem like reasonable numbers (I'm assuming the "85.5" was a typo).

Sound close maybe?

Those seem like reasonable numbers (I'm assuming the "85.5" was a typo).

Yep - a typo - 82.5 maybe? :glare:

Sound close maybe?

Sounds perfect ... I would only need to drop about 5 pounds for the 100kg class

Why don't we simply start a 100k class then. There was no voting when David Horne introduced the 82.5k class so all we really need is a fair number of organisers being happy with a middle weight division. I know Chris has had his 94k class for a number of years but it is just too close to the 82.5k class so I suggest, as does Eric, that we adopt a 100k class starting 2012. How does that sound? I am happy to keep track of top50lists in the Europinch.

The 100kg class in PL was invented in the USA so it seems appropriate to introduce it here on a US run grip forum.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Why don't we simply start a 100k class then. There was no voting when David Horne introduced the 82.5k class so all we really need is a fair number of organisers being happy with a middle weight division. I know Chris has had his 94k class for a number of years but it is just too close to the 82.5k class so I suggest, as does Eric, that we adopt a 100k class starting 2012. How does that sound? I am happy to keep track of top50lists in the Europinch.

The 100kg class in PL was invented in the USA so it seems appropriate to introduce it here on a US run grip forum.

I like.

Did you hear that, Paul, we are having a 100 kilo class at the Metroflex Mayhem this year. If I have to hold a bake sale to fund all the trophies then so be it.

I am fine with a 100K - 220# class. As I have stated before - I went with the 94K division because it seemed to divide Gripmas contestants into two fairly even sized groups to make for a better competition and at that time there was no lighter class to contend with. So can the Lightweight (94K) class results from Gripmas contests start out as current records for record keeping purposes then? All that remains then is to decide on the Elite Total numbers for Grippers - Pinch - and Axle for the different classes. Plus decide if other events might be used to provide an Elite frame work of sorts - this should probably be the same as is used for Nationals if approved at least here in the states except with smaller numbers? I like this whole concept a lot! I think it will help grow the participation in contests and attract the "less than giants" among us. .

I, personally, like the idea of grandfathering in existing "records". Why not? A contest lift performed on standardized equipment where the lifter's body weight is known seems to cover all the bases.

Good idea, Chris.

The problem with that approach is that bodyweights have been recorded for grip competitions every now and again since the introduction of the Europinch standard. We would then have to go back and look at all these contests (= huge amount of work). It would be unfair to dismiss results from these contests (where the body weight were recorded) but approve the Gripmas contests. That's my view. I would prefer if we start on a new page.

So can the Lightweight (94K) class results from Gripmas contests start out as current records for record keeping purposes then?

Edited by Mikael Siversson