Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal

Broly

Love your training log! Keep pulling and best of luck for the future.

Thanks bro. I actually hit a really nice stride with training ever since I've been able to find a gym so close to my job but have been slacking a tiny bit with the updates. I haven't had a chance to pull in a while due to the practices being canceled past couple of weeks. I've got another tournament end of this month that I'm really trying to get first place Lefty as an Amateur.

JULY 30th

Hands and Wrists

RT deadlifts

Left: 110x1, 120x1, 125x1, 110@10secs

RIght: 110x1, 120x1, 125x1, 110@4secs

Pinch Grip Block

Left: 30x1, 35x1, 40x1, 45x1, 35@20secs, 10secs

Right: 30x1, 35x1, 40x1, 35@10secs, 8secs

Gripper Strap holds

IM #1/ 7.5lbs@7secs

BB SA 7/5lbs@ 8secs

IM #2 attempt. 1/4 inch away.

leverage bar

7.5x6, 4, 5x10

twist yo wrist

25x1, .75, .5

Cable bounches

30x7, 6, 6

Reverse DB wirst curls *superset

20x10, 8, 8

Plate Wrist curls

20x8, 7, 6

Did a similar exercises to my last hand and wrist workout but changed the order. It's tricky to train with the grippers and some of the other grip tools I use if I save them for near the end or in the beginning. I'm always fresh so whatever I start with is going to see bigger numbers so switching it off like this seems to work real good.

JULY 30th

LEG DAY

Not going to really bother to put up what I did for legs. I'm only really working out legs when my upper body is pretty shot and I have free time on my lunch break at work so no real need to keep track. Not trying to do anything crazy with legs other than to keep good blood flow.

AUGUST 3rd

UPPER BODY

Fingertip Pullups

20, 12, 10, 8

Bench Machine

150x12, 235x8, 240x6, 3> 200x3

Fingertip Cable Rows

120x10, 140x6, 6

G4 rows

140x8, 160x5, 5

G4 Shoulder cable Lats

35x10, 40x10, 42.5x8

DB Shoulder Press

55x8, G4 55x8, 60x5

Very good workout for my upper body, When working on my back I tried to use my finger tips for all my pulling movements to strengthen my hands and fingers in the process. This feels to be very effective and will most likely continue to do.

AUGUST 5th

PULLS

G4 Hammer Curls

30x15, 40x9, 9, 7, 5

FG Heavy concentration curls

60x8, 6, 5

Decline DB skull crushers G4

30x10, 8, 7

Strap wrist curls

20x8, 8

30@30secs, 25x10 bounces

35@15secs, 30x8 bounches

Strap Top Rolls

25x10, 30x6, 35x4

Terminator Wrist Curls

57.5x6, 8, 6

Terminator Pulls

42.5x7, 6, 50x5

Improvements in my wrist and grip strength but still not feeling great from this chest cold and will take the next few days off and just let my body do its thing and heal. the cough is getting better but it's taking a very long time and it's probably taking so long due to me not wanted to take too much time off from training. I've got a tourney end of August and I want to be ready for.

July 11th

PRACTICE

Final practice before my next tournament in Brooklyn, NY. Decent turn out, the one person I'm very glad showed up was this 195lb power lifter who is very strong and really forces me to have good technique in order to beat him. This is probably the strongest I've been at practice pulling down one of the veterans once or twice. Granted he wasn't 100% but even in past practices I could never get as far as I did this time so I'm feeling good. Top roll is improving but to be honest my hook is terrible. There is such a huge difference between my toproll and hook. For me hooking is so unnatural and I can't get comfortable no matter how many times I practice with it. I'll give myself 4-5 days of rest before the tournament and will start hitting whatever I can probably The 16th. Practice really kicked my ass and my left is still feeling torn up.

AUGUST 16th

PULLS

Close Grip Pullups

23, G4 stiff flex: 15, 9, 8

Hammer Curls

G4stiff flex: 40x8, 5, 5, 5

Terminator Wrist Curls

57.5x8 (torque setting=3), 57.5x6, 6, 5 (torque setting=4)

Strap Wrist curls

25x5, 6, 5, 35@15secs, 10secs

Terminator Pulls (2xOrange bands+ weight stack)

42.5x4, 4, 4

Strap Top Rolls (2xOrange bands+weight stack)

42.5x 3, 3, 3

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns

100x7, 6, 6

Took 1 serving of Animal Rage again and this will probably be the last time I take this crap. It seems to be great for everyone but unfortunately for me it makes me sick to my stomach and i crash so bad after the workout, but anyway Pretty damn good workout considering. Hammer curls and Terminator Wrist curls I felt an increase in strength. Tried a new workout with close grip lat pulldowns, I hook up the handle used for close grip rows and put it for lat pulldowns and hook in my hands so there positioned at how I want to be in a winning wrist position (palms facing the ground). In this position I do the pull downs so it's similar to close grip pullups in a way but my hands stay locked in this position to make my wrists and forearms stronger and to get them use to being in that position.

JULY 19th - HANDS & WRISTS

cable bounces

35x10, 9, 40x6, 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUxgIIk7oA

Twist Yo Wrist

25x1, 3/4, 1/2, 20x1, 1/2

Plate Wrist Curls

20x7, 7, 7, 6

Heavy Concentration Curls

60x7, 7, 6

Leverage Bar Windmills

5lbs x 3 sets (new workout, lost track of reps)

Grapple Grip Holds

Left: 35@24secs, 16, 30@22secs, 20

Right: 35@8secs, 7secs, 30@12secs, 13

Hook Band holds

2 bands@ 1minute, 45secs, 45secs

Hook Gripper Holds

2 bands Trainer C.O.C@ 25secs, 15secs, 10secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXrb-C0n_nA[/video}

Amazing workout that really focuses on training for Arm Wrestling more than any other workout I've ever done. Introduced a few new exercises which I'm very happy about and I think will give me a competitive advantage in my training. Had alot of time so wasn't too worried about how long this workout took. Huge difference in holding power with my left than right when using the grapple grips. I think I have one more workout in me before next weeks tournament.

Got sick this past tuesday, still feeling like shit and now there's a damn Hurricane about to hit the same day as my tournament. Things are not looking good. My last workout was Friday and I hit what I needed pretty hard but I really wanted to get one last full body workout to get the blood pumping on Tuesday but getting sick really threw a wrench in my plans. Today would've been the last day to really just do something light but still not feeling like it's a good idea.

The tournament is Sunday and that is also the same day we are suppose to be getting this Hurricane, This event is most likely outdoors so I really don't see it happening. I'll be pretty disappointed if it gets canceled or the weather is really bad. There's another one coming up in September so maybe I'll just take this week as a sign to relax and just prepare for the next one but I'll know more or less by Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Got sick this past tuesday, still feeling like shit and now there's a damn Hurricane about to hit the same day as my tournament. Things are not looking good. My last workout was Friday and I hit what I needed pretty hard but I really wanted to get one last full body workout to get the blood pumping on Tuesday but getting sick really threw a wrench in my plans. Today would've been the last day to really just do something light but still not feeling like it's a good idea.

The tournament is Sunday and that is also the same day we are suppose to be getting this Hurricane, This event is most likely outdoors so I really don't see it happening. I'll be pretty disappointed if it gets canceled or the weather is really bad. There's another one coming up in September so maybe I'll just take this week as a sign to relax and just prepare for the next one but I'll know more or less by Saturday.

Keep us posted and good luck bro

Tourney was canceled due to The event almost being under water due to the hurricane but it was probably for the best with this damn cough I still have. Went to the doctors again and was prescribed something else that seemed to help but it's still there. If it doesn't seem to get any better within a week I'll have to go back in. On the plus side I now am able to workout with out the cough affecting me as much and got a good workout in on 9/7/11.

Fatgripz Close grip pullups (reps every 1 minute)

10, 10, 10, 10, 5

Decline Bench Fatgripz DB Hammer Curls

40x9, 9, 8, 7

Concentration Curls Fatgripz (centered my arm and went for minimal curling to get the arm used to heavy pressure)

50x5, 6, 5, 2

Seated Strap Front Wrist Curls

20x7, 5, 5, 4, 4

Seated Strap Curls Wrist

25x5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns Single Fatgripz

55x7, 6, 5

9/13/11- Last workout before Tourney on the 18th.

1 arm assisted Pullups (This was a great addition that puts more strain in the right areas on the arms)

55x4, 70x7, 6, 5, 40@5seconds

Single Grapple Grip Rows

55x12, 70x8, 6, 5

Grapple Grip hammer Curls

35x7, 6, 6, 5

Grapple Grip Bounces

42.5x5, 4, 4

Terminator Wrist Curls (put in between markers 2 & 6)

(torque=4) 50x8

(torque=5) 50x8, 7, 6

Grip4orce Stiff Flex Shoulder pull ins (combo w/ Tricep Rope pull downs)

30x8, 8, 35x6

Grip4orce stiff flex rope pull downs

60x8, 8, 6

Felt like my old self in the workout, responded well to a pre-workout supp without feeling sick during and after the workout. Was really debating even going to this upcoming tournament from feeling so crappy and my training not up to par but I felt really good today and think I will just go for it and see what happens. My motivation hasn't been as high so I really need to beat whatever is getting me down and push through to get back into the swing of things.

September 18th: Home workout, pulling

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the tournament today but it was probably for the best, alot of things getting in the way of training and I didn't want to show up unless I felt fully ready to pull like a beast. On the plus side, I know have a good solid two months now to train for the big event in November so I'm pretty excited about that. Being as how I couldn't compete might as well start training hard!

warmup

Close grip pullups (fatgripz): 10,10,10,10 - each set within 1 minute combined with fingertip pushups

Fingertip pushups: 10,10,10,10- same method as above

workout

Twist yo Wrist

25x1, 1, 3/4, 3/4

Cable Bounches (10lb improvement)

35x12, 45x6, 7, 7

Plate Wrist Curls

20x9, 22.5x6, 20x8, 20x7(with 4, 5lb plates instead of 2, 10lb plates)

Leverage Bar Windmills

Left: 7.5x 6, 6, 5x8

Right: 5x7, 8, 7

Grapple Grip Static Hammer Curl Holds

35x15, 15, 12, 10

Static Gripper Holds (C.O.C Trainer + 2 bands)

20secs, 23secs, 15secs, 18secs

Static Cable Hook Holds (Fatgripz + 2 bands) - One of the best Stamina exercises in my arsenal right now

48secs, 50secs, 48secs, 45secs

Sept 21st, PULLS

Wow, almost screwed this workout up! Was in a meeting that was suppose to end at 12 and kept dragging on and I took my pre-workout supp a little too premature and was bouncing off the walls. Anyway, great workout, for right now I feel I only have the remnants of my cough and not the cough itself so I am almost at 100% and feeling great. 1 arm assisted pullups are focusing in on my holding power and blasting my arms to death. Hammer curls my grip feels good and just killing it with everything else. Even if my numbers from this workout don't show that big of an improvement, I gave myself much less rest time and increased the intensity with different angles how I hit each workout.

1 Arm Assisted Pullups

70x8, 7, 6, 6

Grip4orce Stiff Flex DB Hammer Curls

40x6, 5, 6

Heavy DB concentration curls

60x6, 7, 6

Cable Strap Top Rolls

30x8, 35x6, 7, 6

Cable Terminator Hooks in between notches 2 & 6

42x6 (torque 4), 42x6 (torque 5), 47x5 (torque 5), 5, dropset= 30x4

Would've liked to have added 1 or 2 back exercises but was running short on time, won't be able to go to practice this week due to some scheduling conflicts but hopefully it'll be on next week so I can see how well my training is going. As it stands right now my Left is making strong gains on the table but am feeling burnt out after about 45 minutes of pulling. My right is making slower gains but stamina is higher. I would love to be able to throw up some videos of the exercises I'm doing in the gym but I go solo and would feel weird asking a complete stranger, "hey can you video me while I do this workout?"

Sept 23rd - PUSHING

Bench Machine

150x12, 190x11, 230x6, 250x3

Fatgripz DB shoulder press

40x12, 55x10, 60x6, 5

Fatgripz Cable Laterals

20x10, 25x8, 8, 30x8

Decline DB Fatgripz skullcrushers

25x9, 9, 7, 4

Single Cable Fatgripz pulldowns

20x8, 8, 8, 4

Fatgripz Dips

9, 8, 9, 10

Getting my mojo back and hit the gym hard with some pushing exercises. Went with the Fatgripz for most of my movements to get my body use to everything being a thick bar. Forearms were still a little shot to be using the Grip4orce stiff flex. I need to get my triceps back to where they use to be. I understand they aren't as important in arm wrestling but I don't want too big of an imbalance and have it effect me somehow on the table so better to keep them strong as well.

Sept 24th, GRIP workout - Home

Softball Pullups

8, 6, 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MmFPR-T3A

Fingertip Pullups

8, 7, 6

Rolling Thunder

L: 120x1, 125x1, 130x1, 100x8, 5

R: 110x1, 110x1, -------, 100x2, 2

Pinch Grip Block

L: 30x1, 40x1, 45x1, 50x1, 40@10secs, 11secs

R: 30x1, 40x1, 45xfail, ---, 40@5secs, 4secs

Soft Ball Deadlifts

45x8, 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNdtoi0TJSw

***At this point in the workout my grip feels completely shot****

Grippers

Random work consisting of Negatives, overcrushes and reps

Heavy DB Hammer Curl Partials *over bench

70x4, 6, 5

Plate Wrist Curls

20x10, 8, 7

Good morning workout. Softball pullups are a nice edition, Rolling Thunder barely any progress, Pinch grip very good progress, Couldn't really tell progress with grippers, by the time I got up to them everything felt blown. Hammer curls were really affected by the lack of grip but this was overall a great workout to blast everything.

Sept 26th: Practice

Great practice session, not many people showed up but the guy who took 1st place for the 176lb Left hand amateur class was there and I got to pull with him for a while. Looks like if I would've went to the tournament it would've been a great match between the two of us. Lefty we were almost equal but I got the better of the exchanges. He was stronger than me right but in the straps I was able to get him a few times. Now more than ever I'm pumped for Novembers tournament and hope he shows up too so I can pull against some stiff competition.

Sept 29th - GYM

1 Arm Assisted Pullups

55x6, 55x5 + 70x3, 55x4 + 70x3, 55x3 + 70x3

Close grip lat pulldowns *good increase

100x9, 120x8, 9

Close grip 1 arm lat pulldown holds

70@12secs, 11secs, 55@12secs

Heavy DB Concentration Curls *This workout in particular really burns me out

60x8, 9, 5

Seated DB Hammer Curls w/GRIP4ORCE stiff flex

40x9, 6, 5

Seated DB Hammer Curl Holds w/GRIP4ORCE stiff flex

40@10secs, 8secs, 8secs

Terminator Wrist Curls

57.5x5 (torq:3), 50x8 (torq:4), 50x6 (torq:5), 50@10secs, 8secs

Strap Wrist Curls *Feeling much stronger finally, was kind of stuck at 20lbs and now am comfortable with 25lbs.

25x8, 7, 7, 35@10secs, 12secs, 42.5@6 secs

Need to start wearing a long sleeve shirt to get a sweat going early, Gym was way too cold and took a while to get going. Energy levels were not good either, wanted to take a nap after my first set but just pushed through it and got it done. Even with my new pre-workout supp just didn't get the jolt till much much later on. Strap Wrist Curls have proven to be a great workout, especially with a top roll and back pressure. On the table the top part of my forearm would give out against a strong opponent allowing him to take my hand but now that this is getting stronger I'm able to fight it off for longer and take control.

Oct 1st: HOME WORKOUT

Softball pullups Superset w/

10, 10, 8, 6

Fingertip pushups

17, 15, 10, 10

Rolling Thunder *Did horrible, The Rolling Thunder is my nemesis!!!

110x1, 1, 115x1, 1

Pinch Block

L: 50x1, 45x1, 45@6secs, 40@10secs, 5 secs

R: -----, ------, 40x1, 40x3 (quick sets), 2

Gripper Strap Holds *Felt like my crushes grip came back fast, great work here

L:CoC #1: 5lbs@7secs, BB SA: 5lbs @10secs CoC #2: 5lbs@2secs (thicker strap), same as previous

R:CoC #1: 5lbs@13secs, BB SA: 5lbs@10secs, CoC#2: 5lbs @3secs (thicker strap), Failed

Twist Yo Wrist *Nice strength increase

25x1, 27.5x1, 27.5x1/2, 25x1

Leverage bar windmills superset w/

L:7.5x9, 8, 6

R:7.5x6, 3, 5x16

Reverse Leverage bars

L:12.5x9, 8, 15x3

R:12.5x8, 7, 15x3

Cable Bounces *Very nice increase

L: 40x10. 8, 45x8, 5

R: 40x8, 6, 45x7, 3

Grapple Grip Hammer Holds *another great increase

L:35@25secs, 40@20secs, 15secs

R:35@20secs, 40@8secs, 10secs

Terminator CableHolds (torq: 5) *Sick sick workout replacing the standard handle with the terminator feels way better

R: 20secs, 30secs, 28secs

L: 30secs, 35secs, 30secs

Gripper Cable Holds (CoC: T) *arms were shot by this point

L: 15secs, 10secs, 10secs

R: 8secs, 8secs, 7secs

FINALLY, cranked out a very aggressive 2 hour workout. Was well rested and everything felt great so I was confident in attempting this today. As of right now I feel great, training is going really good, getting into a nice groove, improving on almost every workout. The Rolling Thunder is the only exercise that is constantly kicking my ass. I feel like the handle is laughing at me every time I make an attempt but I'm not going to let this get to my head and will continue to try and make gains with it. I'm going to try and take a shot at it everyday with about 80% and then try and max out at least once or twice a week (read this on the forums here to try this out so the worst that can happen is it just won't work). I'm so damn close to closing the CoC #2. I want to be able to close this by the time my tournament comes in November so after wards I can start the RRBT program again but change my goal to the #2.5 instead of the #2.

Oct 3rd- Lost Track of what I did but got a workout in

Oct 7th - Simulating Practice

Practice was canceled again this week so trying my best to simulate it with the routine in the gym. This was my strongest workout to date in the gym and I felt like a damn beast. Really anxious to heal from this and pull with someone soon. My off the table training is going great, I just wish that these practices were more consistent and more frequent so I can make even better gains. So far my training and split is seeing great gains each session, so I'm feeling confident in what I'm doing. Paying attention to how my body feels more than anything so I know how hard I can push it.

Strap Wrist Curls *5lb increase since last week

25x10, 30x6, 30x4 dropset- 25x4, 30x4 dropset - 25x3

Strap Wrist Holds *7lb increase since last week

42@10secs, 12secs, 11secs, 50@7secs

Terminator Wrist curls *7lb increase

(torq 4)- 57x8, 8, 8, (torq 5) - 6

Terminator holds *7lb increase

(torq 4)- 57@12 secs, 10 secs, 10 secs, 8 secs

Strap Top Rolls

30x9, 35x8, 42x6

Terminator Pulls

50x6, 5, 5

Grapple Grip Hammer Curls

35x8, 8, 8, 40x6

Grapple Grip Hammer Holds

42@10 secs, 10secs, 10secs

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns *Finally found a comfortable position- Made 2 fists and put them knuckle to knuckle, best stability so far.

120x10, 140x 8, 8, 160x4

Last workout here was an insane increase of 40lbs. 120lbs use to feel heavy a few weeks ago, now it felt like nothing.

Oct 9th - PUSH

Bench Machine

150x15, 210x9, 230x6, 240x2

Shoulder Press machine

110x10, 10, Singles- 40x12

DB Tricep Press

60x12, 15, Singles - 25x10, 10

Butterfly Machine

190x11, 190x10, 250x4

Cable Shoulder Laterals

20x12, 25x10, 30x8

This workout was garbage, Was hard to focus and didn't feel into it at all. I'm into the arm wrestling specific workouts so much that when it comes to do other exercises mentally I'm not excited about it and it shows in the gym. That on top of that fact that my beautiful wife and her best friend wanted me to come with them today to show them the proper way to do some of their routines so It was a little distracting but amazingly enough after this workout I was so sore the next day. Go figure.

Oct 11th- PULLS

1 Arm Assisted Pullups - Not really an increase but started using the Grip4orce and didn't feel so shot afterwards

G4:85x8, G4:55x6, 55x6, 4

Heavy DB Concentration Curls - Felt easier than normal, need to go heavier but this stupid gym only goes up to 60lb DB's

60x10, G4:60x7, 6, 5

DB Curls Grip4orce

40x10, 7, 5, 45x6 (non grip4orce)

Over bench Flat Curls - Trying to simulate when I'm in a really bad losing position and need to fight it to get back

40x8, 45x8, 50x6

Terminator wrist curls (torq:4)

57x8, 7, 6, 6

Strap Wrist curls

30x6, 30x5 dropset 25x5, 25x7, 5

Standing DB wrist curls Grip4orce

35x10, 10, 40x8, 8, 8

Great start, starting gassing out near the end but last few sets I got my second wind but it was too little too late. The order in which I'm doing these exercises definitely takes effect on what I can lift. Still a good overall workout and just have to keep pushing.

Oct- 13th Practice

An Amazing Practice! Pulled hard for 2 full hours and beat the living hell out of both arms. Anytime I have a practice I feel rejuvenated and reminded how much I love this freakin sport. Saw alot of old faces who got back from their summer vacations and they were surprised in how much stronger I got since the last time we pulled. One guy in particulars wrist and hand got incredibly strong and gave me such a hard time but it was great to pull with him and try and get better. Pulling the way I did last night is going to pay off for next months tournament.

Oct 15th - Pushing

Butterfly Machine

190x12, 230x7, 7, 4

Dips

25, 20, 15

Smith Machine Shoulder Press

50x10, 90x7, 7, 100x6

Smith Machine Shoulder Raises

50x8, 70x7, 90x6

Close Grip Bench

70x10, 10, 90x8, 6

Rope Pulldowns G4

65x7, 6, 7

Pinch Grip *These Plates weren't completely flat and had a little lip which is why I'm assuming I was able to do heavier weight.

Left: 30lbs (3, 10lb plates)@ 40secs, 30secs, 50lbs (2 25lb plates)@12secs, 6secs,

Right:"" "" "" "" "" "" @25 secs 20secs, "" "" "" "" "" " @5 secs, 4 secs,

Dual Pinch Grip

90lbs (2 45lb plates) @15secs, 14secs.

Went to a different gym for this one so I got to use a smith machine. Good workout to keep everything fresh, shoulders feel extremely shot afterwards. Was waiting around a bit so I decided to try pinch grip with some plates. I've been feeling like my pinch grip has been getting much stronger even though I haven't really changed to much of what I normally do.

Oct 17th - PULLS

Dual Straps Lat pulldowns *New exercise

85x15, 100x12, 140x11, 160x7, 5

Incline Bench Grip4orce Hammer Curls

50x9, 8, 7

Incline Bench Grip4orce Curls

50x8, 7, 7

Heavy DB concentration Curls *Used Grip4orce for first 2 sets, felt horrible for this exercise

60x6, 5, 4

Decline Bench Grip4orce Wrist Curls *Superset w/ reverse

45x10, 55x8, 6, 5

Decline Bench Reverse Wrist Curls

25x8, 7, 5, 20x12

NEW STRAPS *Purchase 2 new Heavy Duty straps, Below are the various exercises I was experimenting with

Strap hooks (high setting) - 42.5x10

Strap Hook and Top Rolls grabbing strap (high setting) 35x8, 8 - Can also be done with a Grip

Strap Hammer Wrist Curls - 42.5x10

Strap Wrist Curls - 25x12, 30x7

Going for the Heavy concentration curls after 2 bicep exercises was a bad move. Biceps not feeling particularly strong today and I really need to do the harder exercises first so I have the power for it. Saving them for later really effects how much I can do. Feeling extremely lethargic throughout the day and even through part of the routine so this wasn't my best workout.

Purchased these nice heavy duty straps from Home Depot that are an amazing addition and blow the doors off the lifting straps I was using with the different variations of effective exercises you can do. This was recommended to me by the organizer of our practices and when he speaks I listen, can't argue a guy with over 20 years experience in the game.