Age - 29

Weight Class - 176lbs

Preferred Technique - Top Roll

Titles

NYC Big Apple Grapple: Amateur Class 176lbs- Left 2nd, Right 3rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgjsk_jHGA

Bronxboro Championships: Pro/Am 176lbs- Left 2nd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WRgGOabjbg

Now that I've got a tiny bit of experience under my belt and have gone to 2 events I decided to start a new journal to keep track of what is working for me and any new training methods I come across. I got into arm wrestling because it's just one of those sports you can do anywhere and it's extremely fun to compete in. It's helped me to stay motivated in the gym and to learn a new type of discipline. I train with a great group of guys out in queens NY with Jason Vales about once every Thursday (nycarms.com). My last tournament was this past Sunday and will most likely start today and tomorrow my training for my next tournament out in Brooklyn this August. I like to keep an open mind and will post videos of training methods I'm trying and future competitions.

May 26th: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

8:30pm GYM, 2 scoops Jack3d

Incline Bench Machine (Grip4orce)

195x12, 210x6, 225x7, 240x6

Heavy Bench Partials (Grip4orce) *Grip slipping, Needed chalk. Better with FATGRIPZ

275x6, 7, 6

Pec Fly Machine

150x7, 6, 5, 175x20sec max hold

Rolling Thunder Shoulder Hammer Laterals

30x12, 40x12, 45x10, 10

Rolling Thunder High Cable Laterals

25x12, 35x7, 30x10

Grapple Grip Single Tricep Press

50x10, 60x6, 5, 50x6

Rope Pull Downs (Grip4orce)

100x10, 110x8, 6, 7

1 mile HIT Run

Tendons slightly tender from this past Sundays tournament, had to take it easy on some of the shoulder and tricep work. This is a good platform for what I should be using to complement my arm wrestling training. I don't want to just focus on lower arm work and nothing else and develop an imbalance. I think once a week for this type of workout is good.

May 27th, Back, Biceps, Lower Arms

Grip4orce Pullups & Cupping Fatgripz Pullups alternating

11, 9, 9, 8

DB Grip4orce Rows

60x10, 7, 7

DB Grip4orce Hammer Curls

35x8, 7, 7, 7

Heavy Concentration Curls

60x6

*At this point in the workout my tendons were flared up and I was experiencing alot of pain in my biceps, especially my left. Took a 10 minute break and tried to finish with the lower arm work.

Twist Yo Wrist

25x1, 20x1, 1, 1

Leverage Bar Combos

5x6, 7, 6

Plated Wrist Curls

15x7, 10, 20x7, 6

Reverse DB Grip4orce Wrist Curls

20x5, 15x8

Video of some these workouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMXacvGq9Q

Focus and Energy was good but physical ability was lacking big time. Body still not good from Sundays tournament. I felt it in yesterdays workout and probably should've back off today and given it a day or two more to heal. Not able to lift as much as I normally lift for this one. Will let my body rest up the next 2 days and see how I'm feeling.

Matrix, you're over-training BIG time!

You will either get injured or have a short lived career

if you don't have a training strategy for AW'ing training.

I would only do very light resistance work with high reps several days after a tourny mainly

for increased blood flow to allow healing then ease into your normal training with increased

post work rest periods due the increased time it takes ligaments and tendons to heal.

You may not realize it yet but you're probably getting accumulative

trauma from lack of rest periods between workouts. Once medial or lateral

epicondylitis sets in you're in for trouble.

Not trying to discourage you just speaking and sharing from experience at this sport.

When you start strengthening tendons everything changes.

Good job at the tournaments you competing in!!! :mosher

Edited by Mighty Joe

Thanks for the advice bro, yea your probably right. I'm still trying to figure out this whole rest period thing. If I'm fully healed and I'm just doing my weight training for it, I can gauge much easier when I'm recovered to hit the gym again, but after a tournament or AW practice it's much harder to judge because of the different type of stress on my tendons. I'm still very new at this when it comes to the training and appreciate the advice big time. I know also I have to listen to my body when it comes to training, If I don't feel 100% after a AW session I need to back off and give it more time. I'm going to give it today and tomorrow and see how they feel and just do a very light session to get the blood flowing.

Early morning workout with my new Aylio Orange bands (40lbs resistance). Wasn't going for a brutal heavy workout or anything just more to experiment with the type of exercises I can do with these things.

http://www.resistancebands.org/?p=detail&pid=35&cat_id=

Warmed up with some pullups then got right into it.

Back pressure pulls

Put 1 band in door anchor with a strap at the height my hand would be on a table.

Hook pulls

Attached a handle with a Grip4orce stiff flex and practiced hooking with 1 band.

Hammer cable bounces

With my arm in a hammer curl position, I rope 2 orange bands through a 25lb plate and attach to a strap wrapped over my knuckles so when I do the bounces it strengthens my wrists. This is by far the best version of a Hammer Strength static hold I've ever done. I've tried this same workout with just a dumb bell, and a Grapple Grip on a cable machine but they don't compare to this.

• Like 1

April 2nd, Practice

Good practice session, getting much better with my back pressure and top roll for my left and right but my hook is terrible right now and I will try and work on it more so I can become more well rounded. Practiced for about 1.5 hours hard. I need to build up my endurance as well. The first half hour I was doing great and feeling strong but near the end I was weak. The veterans there have almost the same exact strength from beginning to end. I think also I'm going to work with the powerball or bands every night or so at about 20% just to get the blood flowing to help heal faster.

Cool, another armwrestler. Your toproll looks pretty good for only pulling 5 months. Your hand control looks good (since your're training with Jason Vale that doesn't surprise me). Something that helped me a lot was really focusing on how really good armwrestlers move on the table, and watching every detail of their body and arm positioning, arm angles, wrist angles, etc. So I would recommend that to you as well. You have one of the best teams to train with, so you shouldn't be lacking for good training partners.

Cool, another armwrestler. Your toproll looks pretty good for only pulling 5 months. Your hand control looks good (since your're training with Jason Vale that doesn't surprise me). Something that helped me a lot was really focusing on how really good armwrestlers move on the table, and watching every detail of their body and arm positioning, arm angles, wrist angles, etc. So I would recommend that to you as well. You have one of the best teams to train with, so you shouldn't be lacking for good training partners.

Thanks for the tip. Training with these guys has been great, and is making me a much better arm wrestler than if I didn't have them around. I learn something new every time we practice.

June 7th: Whole Body

Been very busy with my wedding end of this week so wanted to just hit everything before I take the plunge.

Weighted Dips

45x10, 12, 70x7, 6, 90x5

Grapple Grips Weighted Pullups

25x6, 5, 4, noweights 12, 10

RT shoulder ins

40x12, 50x12, 60x8, 7, 6

Grapple Grip Tricep press *superset

60x6, 5, 5 dropset: 60x6, 40x15

Grapple Grip Hammer curls

60x10, 70x8, 7 dropset: 70x6, 50x15

Preacher static curls w/FATGRIPZ

45x10, 50x8, 7, 6

RT wrist curls

130x8, 8, 120x10

RT reverse wrist curls

30x8, 6, 20x15

Decided last minute that I would do this as a morning workout before work with a pre-workout supp but started to feel sick to my stomach before and halfway through the workout. Even with no ground breaking numbers, I noticed a big improvement with my grip and how some of the other workouts felt a little easier. Didn't want to hit anything to arm wrestling specific with possibility of practice on Thursday. After I come back from my honeymoon I'll be able to focus much more on my training.

• 3 weeks later...

June 28th: Back, Biceps

1 scoop preworkout supp(300mg) slight buzz for 10 minutes then nothing. Big waste.

Grapple Grip Pullups

12, 12, 7, 5

Grapple Grip Singal Rows

60x7, 7, 5

Grapple Grip Hammer curls

60x8, 10, 9, 6

EZbar Preacher Curls (FATGRIPZ)

50x8, 8, 6

Had to stop there, split my knuckle when lowering the bar, deep cut, figured I'd call it a night and clean it up before it got infected. Was a really crappy workout anyway, mentally not there, Felt very weak. The week before the wedding and the honeymoon for 2 weeks killed me. Hoping I can get back what I lost quickly so I can progress and not spend all summer playing catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

July 8th: Practice

First Practice back in a month and actually felt better than I thought I would. Alot of the guys made some steady gains from the time I was gone and me not doing anything made them feel even stronger but it's great to be back and look forward to the next practice. I feel like I fell off a little bit with form, this is definitely a sport where consistency counts and making it routine will pay off big time.

Friday July 8th: New Gym: Legs

Seated Leg curls

50x15, 90x8, 8, 110x7

Leg extensions

50x15, 90x12, 90x12, 110x8

Calf extensions

50x15, 90x12, 12, 120x10

Leg Press

150x15h, 15l, 190x12h, 12l

Did some other workouts but nothing to jot down really, just trying to get the lay of the land. Joined a new gym that opened up right next to my job so will try and start working out at lunch instead of the gym by my house which I can really only do at night. Wanted to start incorporating leg workouts after a training session to I can get alot of blood flow throughout my whole body. Even if Legs are not really used in Arm Wrestling, I feel that it couldn't hurt being as how I wouldn't be lifting upper body on a Friday right after a training session anyway so might as well take advantage of the ability to do so.

July 11th: Back, Biceps, Forearms

Pullups

18wide, 12close, 8wide, 6close

Fatgripz DB hammer curls

35x10, 7, 7, 6

Fatgripz DB Heavy Concentration curls

50x6, 8, 6, 6

Terminator Handle

42.5-wrist curls

35-across chest

*This is a brand new piece of equipment, Focused on getting a feel for it and a comfortable weight and proper angles

Straps

Rising Flexors-15

Top rolls- 20-25

*Same as above, not a new piece of equipment, but trying new movements that appear to be extremely affective

Still getting acclimated to a new gym and a new routine with what I have available. Did some experimenting so next week will be fine tuning. Working with the straps and my new handle I feel will put my training to a new level of effectiveness. Now just have to figure out the frequency without over training. Surprisingly my arms felt good and no pain at all.

July 13th: Upper Body, GYM

Bench Machine

100x15, 150x15, FG210x7, 7, 225x6 *Left thumb still slightly sprained.

DB Shoulder Press

40x15, FG50x10, 10

FG shoulder cable lats

20x15, 30x8, 8, 8

GG Tricep Press

25x8, 20x12, 25x8, 30x6

FG Rope Extensions

60x8, 8, 6

Rope Crunches

42.5x30, 50x25, 20, 15

H.I.T run

1 mile in 10 minutes

Good upper body workout, nothing new to report.

7/14 Practice Canceled-Home workout

Being as how practice was canceled, I had a chance to really try out my new Terminator handle. Used an Aylio 40lb orange resitance band in the doorway to work on my Hook and then switched over to the straps to work on my toproll. This really felt like a practice session and will fine tune this as a replacement for canceled sessions.

JULY 15TH- LEGS& CARDIO

Giving the upper body a rest day, Might as well get some blood flowing with legs and cardio.

Leg Press

150x20middle, 210x12 high, 230x12 low, 250x10 high, 250x10 low

Leg Extensions

110x10, 120x9, 60x8 singles, 65x8 singles

Seated Leg Curls

110x9, 9, 60x9 singles, 65x8 singles

Calf Extensions

120x10, 130x10, 70x10 singles, 70x9 singles

Stomach leg raises

30, 22, 15

Torso twist

90x12, 110x10, 120x10

H.I.T Run *New personal best

1.7 miles in 17 minutes

Joining a gym right by my job has given me much more time to train my body in ways I wasn't able to before due to lack of time. Normally I would only be able to do 3 days a week so i'd have to focus on What is going to benefit arm wrestling but now with more time I can hit much more during rest days and non rest days.

JULY 17TH, HANDS & WRISTS

fingertip pushups

10, 6, 6, 3

GG pullups

8, 10, 8, 7

plate wrist curls *superset

8, 8, 8, 6

reverse db curls

8, 8, 6, 5

twist yo wrist

20x1 full, 1full, 1half, 1half

leverage bar

5x8, 8, 8, 8

RT deadlifts

100x1, 110x1, 115x1, 100x8secs

pinchgrip

25x25secs, 30x10secs, 35x5secs, 4secs

gripper straps

#1-thin-5lbs-5secs

#1-thin-5lbs-7secs

#1-thin-5lbs-4secs

pullups

15, 11, 8, 6

Not a bad workout, not exactly where I was a month ago but I'm getting it back, just have to keep on being consistent. This was actually a really good workout and focused heavily on hand and wrist strength.

JULY 18th BICEPS

FG Hammer Curls

25x25, 35x10, 10, 40x5

55x9, 60x6, 6, 4

Bicep Machine Holds

130x20secs, 150x20secs, 190x15secs

Cable Crunches

50x30, 60x10, 60x10, 50x20

H.I.T Run

1 mile 10 min

Needed to keep this short with having alot to do back at work but overall a great workout to hit the biceps the way they needed to be hit. Forearms feeling a little shot off of yesterdays workout but still felt strong. Tried doing some static holds on one of the machines which puts my arm in the same position it would be in if I was losing on the table and needed to wear my opponent down. Will continue with the H.I.T cardio runs after my gym sessions to burn off the fight so I my weight at 175lbs is more muscles than anything else.

July 22nd: Practice Canceled Workout: GYM

Practice was canceled due to a tournament being held in two weeks. Not suppose to pull 2 weeks out. Unfortunately I have a trip the day of so I will just have to try and beat my arms up and simulate what I can.

Terminator wrist curls

25x15, 42.5x11, 50x10, 57.5x7, 6

Strap Wrist curls

20x8, 6, 7, 25x5, 30x30secs

Terminator Pulls to chest (bands)

40lb Orange band: 3 sets & 2 hold sets

Top roll straps (bands)

40lb Orange band: 3 sets & 2 hold sets

Reverse FG wrist cable curls *This felt extremely hard with my forearms feeling shot

10x10, 9, 8, 7, 6

Finger loop pullups

10, 8, 7, 6

3 sets of crunches

No H.I.T run today, will be playing basketball after work for my cardio. A great practice replacement workout, Forearms felt like they were about to explode and were worked to their very core. This has got to be one of the best forearm workouts I've had so far.

July 25th: Upper Body work

G4 cable rows

100x15, 140x12, 160x8, 165x6, 4

Chest press

150x15, 230x6, 6, 4, 3

GG pullups

10, 8, 8, 7

G4 DB Shoulder Press

40x15, 50x12, 60x8reg

G4 cable laterals

30x10, 35x7, 6

GG tricep cables

30x7, 6, 6, 4

G4 Tricep cables

60x7, 70x6, 4

Cable Crunches

50x30, 20, 20, 20

H.I.T Run= 1 mile in 10 minutes.

Great overall working to keep the blood flowing everywhere else. I've heard some contradictions when it comes to Arm wrestling training as far as working out other parts of the body that really aren't involved and some say it's good to keep everything strong and others say it's a waste. From what little experience I have, I feel much stronger when I try and just hit everything at least once a week and then get back into focusing on the movements and specific training.

JULY 27th: Pulls

G4 Hammer Curls

Left: 30x10, 35x10, 40x9, 9, 6

Right: 30x10, 35x10, 40x6>35x3, 40x3>35x3>30x3

60x9, 6, 5

Terminator Wrist Curls

57.5x9, 8, 6, 10sec

Strap wrist curls

20x8, 5, 4, 25x15sec, 15sec, 20 sec

Terminator Hook (bands)

4 sets