Kc Qualifer Ii

jad

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Todd Coenen has just donated a brand new Elite and brand new #3 to the prize pool :mosher

Thank you for supporting our contest even though you can't make it! :bow

Very cool! Is that going to 1st, 2nd, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• jad

• Marc M

• IROC-Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool,

My son(17) and I will try to make this. We have mainly been training grippers and are just getting into pinch. Don't have an axle or Euro yet. Have been training on our own just by reading the boards. We train grip as part of our overall strength training.

Marc

Marc, since you don't have an Axle or a Euro, here's some great advice that I'll copy and paste - from Mike Rinderle - regarding making your own training Axle:

I'm telling you guys. 1.5" inside diameter pipe from Lowes. The thick walled black pipe will just be a smidge under 2" so all your oly plates will fit. Build up gorilla tape for inside collars and use pony clamps for outside collars. 7' axle for $20. I've dropped mine with 370 on it and still straight as an arrow.

Sand the black coating off to the bare steel where you grab it and it will season great and hold chalk. Or leave the coating on to make it more slippery.

As for a training Euro, just get the thinnest (narrow width is better so that it will more closely mimic the narrow diameter <about 48mm> that most grip comps use on the Euro) 35lb or 45lb Olympic plates that you can buy and then sandwich them together, smooth sides out. Build up a bit of chalk on the top part of the plates and you'll have a base to start training 2-Hand Pinch. Put a 1.9" diameter steel tube (mine's about 18" long) through the center and then you can add weight to the outside of your pinch plates. Make sure that the plates are secured together as tight as you can get them. Use some heavy duty collars if you can to get the plates tight together. Then add the additional weight on the outside of the collars that you use so that you won't run into the problem of running into the additional plates if the diameter is big enough for your fingers to touch them when you grip the plates to pinch them.

I'll bring my Mouse Pinch with me to show you what an economical 2HP training device looks like. If you're interested in purchasing one Scott George is probably still making them and the quality is superb. It's an adjustable-width pinch device that isn't the full-size version that the contest uses but it's good for training purposes.

If you don't have a 2" vbar yet that's also very easy to make with hardware items. Buy a 24" length (or as close to that without going over that number) of 1.9" outside diameter hollow steel pipe (or tubing, whatever they call it). Make sure that one end of that pipe is threaded so that you can screw it on to the next item so that you can add weight. In reality, I think you have to buy a piece that's threaded on both ends like I did. That makes things a bit more difficult but it still makes a great 2" vbar training tool. Then buy what I think is called a "floor flange" to screw one of the threaded ends into. There you have an instant 2" vbar that you can slap some plates on and start making gains. You will have about 2 months to get your vbar seasoned and holding chalk nicely.

Hope this helps you and any others that might be reading it.

We have our first female entry - my wife, Carrie.:D I'm cleaning the garage up to her satisfaction and in return she's competing at the KC Qualifier II. Will be interesting to see how she does on everything with no training. Or maybe a very small amount if I can convince her to do a bit of training beforehand.

If any other ladies are interested it would be great to get a female division up and running at the contest. Guys, bring your lady friends!:online

Cool,

My son(17) and I will try to make this. We have mainly been training grippers and are just getting into pinch. Don't have an axle or Euro yet. Have been training on our own just by reading the boards. We train grip as part of our overall strength training.

Marc

Marc, since you don't have an Axle or a Euro, here's some great advice that I'll copy and paste - from Mike Rinderle - regarding making your own training Axle:

I'm telling you guys. 1.5" inside diameter pipe from Lowes. The thick walled black pipe will just be a smidge under 2" so all your oly plates will fit. Build up gorilla tape for inside collars and use pony clamps for outside collars. 7' axle for $20. I've dropped mine with 370 on it and still straight as an arrow.

Sand the black coating off to the bare steel where you grab it and it will season great and hold chalk. Or leave the coating on to make it more slippery.

As for a training Euro, just get the thinnest (narrow width is better so that it will more closely mimic the narrow diameter <about 48mm> that most grip comps use on the Euro) 35lb or 45lb Olympic plates that you can buy and then sandwich them together, smooth sides out. Build up a bit of chalk on the top part of the plates and you'll have a base to start training 2-Hand Pinch. Put a 1.9" diameter steel tube (mine's about 18" long) through the center and then you can add weight to the outside of your pinch plates. Make sure that the plates are secured together as tight as you can get them. Use some heavy duty collars if you can to get the plates tight together. Then add the additional weight on the outside of the collars that you use so that you won't run into the problem of running into the additional plates if the diameter is big enough for your fingers to touch them when you grip the plates to pinch them.

I'll bring my Mouse Pinch with me to show you what an economical 2HP training device looks like. If you're interested in purchasing one Scott George is probably still making them and the quality is superb. It's an adjustable-width pinch device that isn't the full-size version that the contest uses but it's good for training purposes.

If you don't have a 2" vbar yet that's also very easy to make with hardware items. Buy a 24" length (or as close to that without going over that number) of 1.9" outside diameter hollow steel pipe (or tubing, whatever they call it). Make sure that one end of that pipe is threaded so that you can screw it on to the next item so that you can add weight. In reality, I think you have to buy a piece that's threaded on both ends like I did. That makes things a bit more difficult but it still makes a great 2" vbar training tool. Then buy what I think is called a "floor flange" to screw one of the threaded ends into. There you have an instant 2" vbar that you can slap some plates on and start making gains. You will have about 2 months to get your vbar seasoned and holding chalk nicely.

Hope this helps you and any others that might be reading it.

Thanks Ben. It helps a lot.

I did the two hand pinch set up last week and pulled on it twice. Pulled 178 and got air under 188. I am using two 5kg plates to pull from(my heavier plates are way too wide). The setup works out to a 51mm pinch. They do hold chalk.

I also set up a 2" VBar using a 24" piece I cut from the same pipe with an angle grinder. Pipe is not threaded so I am using a collar on the bottom to hold the plates.

I've got about 5 feet of pipe left so I may need to buy another piece of pipe for the axle. I will do what Mike said with the tape and give it a go on the pipe that I have first.

We have our first female entry - my wife, Carrie.:D I'm cleaning the garage up to her satisfaction and in return she's competing at the KC Qualifier II. Will be interesting to see how she does on everything with no training. Or maybe a very small amount if I can convince her to do a bit of training beforehand.

If any other ladies are interested it would be great to get a female division up and running at the contest. Guys, bring your lady friends!:online

Awesome. That's a win/win....both for her! lol A clean garage and competing in a comp! :whistel Go, Carrie!

I did the two hand pinch set up last week and pulled on it twice. Pulled 178 and got air under 188. I am using two 5kg plates to pull from(my heavier plates are way too wide). The setup works out to a 51mm pinch. They do hold chalk.

I also set up a 2" VBar using a 24" piece I cut from the same pipe with an angle grinder. Pipe is not threaded so I am using a collar on the bottom to hold the plates.

I've got about 5 feet of pipe left so I may need to buy another piece of pipe for the axle. I will do what Mike said with the tape and give it a go on the pipe that I have first.

Excellent pinching already Marc! Sounds like you're going to wallop me in that event with ease. 5 feet is short for a training axle but you could probably make it work if you pull conventional but it would be crowded for sure.

How are you on the grippers and have you pulled on the 2" vbar or on an axle before?

Excellent pinching already Marc! Sounds like you're going to wallop me in that event with ease. 5 feet is short for a training axle but you could probably make it work if you pull conventional but it would be crowded for sure.

How are you on the grippers and have you pulled on the 2" vbar or on an axle before?

Grippers - just closed my 3.5 @178.5 lbs twice(two singles) in last workout. Finally, re calibrated and weighed everything on a scale.

2"Vbar - pulled 185.

Axle- No idea guessing will be under 275. Haven't been able to do regular deads as I have a lower thigh injury that is healing. I am going to start doing some deads on a trap bar this week.

I will do pinch and vbar tonight.

Grippers - just closed my 3.5 @178.5 lbs twice(two singles) in last workout. Finally, re calibrated and weighed everything on a scale.

2"Vbar - pulled 185.

Axle- No idea guessing will be under 275. Haven't been able to do regular deads as I have a lower thigh injury that is healing. I am going to start doing some deads on a trap bar this week.

Great gripper strength! We'll work with you a bit and get your 2" vbar way higher than that since I'm sure you're capable of a mid-200s pull with your 2HP and gripper ability.

2"Vbar - pulled 185.

Great gripper strength! We'll work with you a bit and get your 2" vbar way higher than that since I'm sure you're capable of a mid-200s pull with your 2HP and gripper ability.

That would be great! Looking forward to learning from you guys!

Woo! Good day on the 2" vbar training. Got 286 pounds lefty this afternoon. Thanks to John Sandy (JohnIII) for loaning me his FBBC 2" vbar to train with for the contest! I wasn't expecting to pull within 20 pounds of what I did today so it's a good sign for the contest. I pulled 207x1, 253x1, 265x1, 276x1, and 286x1.

I'm adjusting my goals upward again since I bought the Grip and Rip 2.1 DVD at the first of the month.

Huh, it's not showing up again. Whatever...

Ok, just to clarify any confusion:

-KC Qualifier II is still on

-Nothing has changed

****your lifts WILL count towards Nationals as far as qualification

****your lifts WILL NOT count towards records/lists because the weights have not been weighed on a certified scale

-This is the same as it has been in the previous two years we've done this contest (KCQI and MTGD)

Please post any questions in this thread.

Thanks,

Josh

Ok, just to clarify any confusion:

-KC Qualifier II is still on

-Nothing has changed

****your lifts WILL count towards Nationals as far as qualification

****your lifts WILL NOT count towards records/lists because the weights have not been weighed on a certified scale

-This is the same as it has been in the previous two years we've done this contest (KCQI and MTGD)

Please post any questions in this thread.

Thanks,

Josh

Good news Josh! Thanks for looking into that. And thanks to Jedd too of course!

Do you know if we'll be doing the Axle event or switching it to RT due to logistics?

I'll check my car tonight and let you know. I've been meaning to do that but have forgotten. I really thought it did fold down and it looks like it folds down, I just was unable to make it the other night. I'll dig the manual out tonight and find out for sure.

I'll check my car tonight and let you know. I've been meaning to do that but have forgotten. I really thought it did fold down and it looks like it folds down, I just was unable to make it the other night. I'll dig the manual out tonight and find out for sure.

Thanks! You know it doesn't matter either way but I know there are some guys training for it who will want to tailor their training for whichever event it is.

Ok, I just figured it out; the seats do indeed fold down so we're good to go on the AA

Ok, I just figured it out; the seats do indeed fold down so we're good to go on the AA

Nice! I'll let a few guys know.

• 3 weeks later...

Caolan Berg said that he was interested in attending this contest and that he has a good chance of being able to this time. That would be prety cool if he can make it!

I have several questions regarding the contest events.

Before I get to those specific questions - I'd like to suggest that we video some of the "judged" events. Like Grippers and 2" vbar especially. Grippers are sometimes very hard to see if the person stopped at parallel and if the handles were closed. Video would help so we could rewind and see in slow motion. Judges would still be necessary, but if a competitor felt that they were "cheated" out of a good performance it could go to the video for review.

2" vbar is another one that's tricky to judge. Even with the 2" height gauge - if the pull is really close it's hard to tell if plate tipping actually negates a good lift unless you have a video for review. I've been doing the vbar lift for years and even I still sometimes review video and realize that I either pulled it high enough when I thought it wasn't a good lift - or the opposite - I didn't pull it high enough when I thought I did.

Axle is usually pretty easy to judge since most guys don't get super close and then fail. It's usually barely off the floor or barely above the knees and then an obvious miss. Video is still great for every event of course for entertainment purposes and for others to see.

#1) On the 2" vbar. At all of the contests I've been to it's essentially been a 1-minute time limit on each competitor's attempt. During that time they can switch hands, try to lift the bar multiple times - but a few of the contests declared that once the weight comes off the ground it's ruled an official attempt. And if they don't reach the minimum height it's a no lift. That seems reasonable to me regarding once the weight leaves the ground it's an attempt.

How do you (Josh and Jedd/NAGS) guys feel about the 1-minute time limit? Is that an accepted standard or is it just a single attempt to lift the weight and if there's no movement it's a no lift.

If we're voting then I like the multiple attempts within the 1-minute time limit. Oftentimes on the 2" vbar I have to find my groove and I remember almost bombing out of the 2008 MGC because I started at 250lbs and then for some reason failed to lift that on my 1st attempt. Got it on my 2nd. And then went on to pull 270lbs - but it was a very weak pull - barely to the 2" height gauge.

#2) On the 2HP. What is the weight of the bare setup? Carrie will be competing and as long as it's around 70-80lbs the weight shouldn't be an issue.

#3) Still on the 2HP. I know that 48mm is the narrowest setting I've seen used in contests. Is narrower allowable if someone preferred that? Adam Glass was doing some pinching on ultra-narrow settings and it got me thinking about that. I remember how much harder a thin pinch is from the MGC that featured that super narrow 2HP. It wouldn't suit most people to go under 48mm. But there might be someone out there who it might fit their hand better. I'm going to be experimenting with narrower settings in my training regardless of whether it's allowed or not. But if it is allowed I might see if I can hit some better numbers or tweak it to fit my hands better.

#4) And still on the 2HP. I should've asked if the rules regarding the 2" vbar were the same for 2HP. Namely, is there an unwritten 1-minute time limit where the competitor can attempt to lift the weight all they like until the weight actually leaves the floor. When that happens, the lift has been started.

#4) On the Axle. I'm going to pull barefoot unless someone has a conniption fit over it. And then I'm still going to pull barefoot.:tongue Okay, if someone has a problem with anyone pulling barefoot I will wear shoes. I'd like to know beforehand what the NAGS view on this is so we're going by the rules. I didn't catch it in my review of the rules on the NAGS site.

#5) On the Potluck Medley. Should we (the competitors) start listing what items/implements we plan on bringing to bring this event to life? I think we're still going with having the Nationals qualifying events in the lineup and that should work great. We'll have to cordinate who brings what and who brings weight plates, etc.

Ideally we would have a printout of the medley lineup for people to do a bit of training for them. Or just to have an idea of what's there would be helpful to some guys too. They can figure out a strategy of what items to lift first and what to save for later.

I'm guessing that the scoring for this event will be just the number of items lifted divided by the best performance. So if there are 10 objects and Josh lifts all 10 - and he's the only one that does that - that's 100 points. I lift 7 items so I get 70 points.

#6) On the Homemade Wrist Developer. Is that barehanded or with some type of pads? Not sure if it's like David Horne's version.

#7) On the 2 Hand Thickbar Hang For Time. Is this a 2" bar - revolving or stationary? My left shoulder doesn't allow me to hang without a lot of pain so I'm experimenting to find a grip width that puts the least pressure on it.

I'm sending a bunch of grippers this week or early next week to Chris Rice to rate with his RGC. So we'll have more grippers to fill the gaps. The ones that are going to interest Marc and Josh are my T7 (guessing low 170s), RB300 (mid-170s?), hard #3.5 (high-170s?), and hard Quad Band (low-180s?). Even if some of them are just for a 1st attempt to get one on the board.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Todd Coenen has just donated a brand new Elite and brand new #3 to the prize pool :mosher

Any word on how these prizes will be awarded? Maybe we can do something like the "Diesel Award" or best newcomer or something like that. Or just prettiest gripster. You can just ship it to my house.

I have a new David Horne Wrist Developer that we could use if needed. I have an orange spring and a wasp spring.

I have a new David Horne Wrist Developer that we could use if needed. I have an orange spring and a wasp spring.

That would FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE bring it!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Any word on how these prizes will be awarded? Maybe we can do something like the "Diesel Award" or best newcomer or something like that. Or just prettiest gripster. You can just ship it to my house.

We could base it on handsize like most contests? :calm

How about Elite for the 1st place finish and the #3 for the winner of the hang since that's kind of the oddball event? I'm open to whatever you and Scott decide.

We could base it on handsize like most contests? :calm

How about Elite for the 1st place finish and the #3 for the winner of the hang since that's kind of the oddball event? I'm open to whatever you and Scott decide.

Haha!:D Sounds good to me man.

#1) On the 2" vbar. At all of the contests I've been to it's essentially been a 1-minute time limit on each competitor's attempt. During that time they can switch hands, try to lift the bar multiple times - but a few of the contests declared that once the weight comes off the ground it's ruled an official attempt. And if they don't reach the minimum height it's a no lift. That seems reasonable to me regarding once the weight leaves the ground it's an attempt.

How do you (Josh and Jedd/NAGS) guys feel about the 1-minute time limit? Is that an accepted standard or is it just a single attempt to lift the weight and if there's no movement it's a no lift.

If we're voting then I like the multiple attempts within the 1-minute time limit. Oftentimes on the 2" vbar I have to find my groove and I remember almost bombing out of the 2008 MGC because I started at 250lbs and then for some reason failed to lift that on my 1st attempt. Got it on my 2nd. And then went on to pull 270lbs - but it was a very weak pull - barely to the 2" height gauge.

#2) On the 2HP. What is the weight of the bare setup? Carrie will be competing and as long as it's around 70-80lbs the weight shouldn't be an issue.

#3) Still on the 2HP. I know that 48mm is the narrowest setting I've seen used in contests. Is narrower allowable if someone preferred that? Adam Glass was doing some pinching on ultra-narrow settings and it got me thinking about that. I remember how much harder a thin pinch is from the MGC that featured that super narrow 2HP. It wouldn't suit most people to go under 48mm. But there might be someone out there who it might fit their hand better. I'm going to be experimenting with narrower settings in my training regardless of whether it's allowed or not. But if it is allowed I might see if I can hit some better numbers or tweak it to fit my hands better.

#4) And still on the 2HP. I should've asked if the rules regarding the 2" vbar were the same for 2HP. Namely, is there an unwritten 1-minute time limit where the competitor can attempt to lift the weight all they like until the weight actually leaves the floor. When that happens, the lift has been started.

#4) On the Axle. I'm going to pull barefoot unless someone has a conniption fit over it. And then I'm still going to pull barefoot. Okay, if someone has a problem with anyone pulling barefoot I will wear shoes. I'd like to know beforehand what the NAGS view on this is so we're going by the rules. I didn't catch it in my review of the rules on the NAGS site.

#5) On the Potluck Medley. Should we (the competitors) start listing what items/implements we plan on bringing to bring this event to life? I think we're still going with having the Nationals qualifying events in the lineup and that should work great. We'll have to cordinate who brings what and who brings weight plates, etc.

Ideally we would have a printout of the medley lineup for people to do a bit of training for them. Or just to have an idea of what's there would be helpful to some guys too. They can figure out a strategy of what items to lift first and what to save for later.

I'm guessing that the scoring for this event will be just the number of items lifted divided by the best performance. So if there are 10 objects and Josh lifts all 10 - and he's the only one that does that - that's 100 points. I lift 7 items so I get 70 points.

#6) On the Homemade Wrist Developer. Is that barehanded or with some type of pads? Not sure if it's like David Horne's version.

#7) On the 2 Hand Thickbar Hang For Time. Is this a 2" bar - revolving or stationary? My left shoulder doesn't allow me to hang without a lot of pain so I'm experimenting to find a grip width that puts the least pressure on it.

I'm sending a bunch of grippers this week or early next week to Chris Rice to rate with his RGC. So we'll have more grippers to fill the gaps. The ones that are going to interest Marc and Josh are my T7 (guessing low 170s), RB300 (mid-170s?), hard #3.5 (high-170s?), and hard Quad Band (low-180s?). Even if some of them are just for a 1st attempt to get one on the board.

I think video is a good idea but not a good enough I idea that I want to be the one responsible for doing it. :D

1. I haven't done 2" vbar in a while but 2HP is being run as 1 attempt in contests now. I think this rule is DUMB. Strongman allows several attempts on certain lifts within a time so why can't we, especially on a friction lift which is a total goat rodeo anyway. There is nothing on the NAGS site dictating which way so I feel like either way is legal.

2. Set-up weight will depend on width but I think they're all around 50#. Bring your scale and we'll weigh it. If I remember correctly it was 52# on 48mm for MTGD.

3. I think 24mm is the narrowest allowed? I'm going to pinch on 44mm.

4. Barefoot is fine as far as I'm concerned.

5. Listing them would be a great idea. I'm bringing the axle. Scoring will be like you said, although I think our spreadsheet is set up for 1st=10points not 100?

6. No idea on the thickbar hang. That event was suggested by Scott and since he's nice enough to let us have it as his house, I'm open to about any event he wants.

Very cool! Forgot to reply to this before I left town the other day. I haven't kept up on the springs. What is the difference in the two springs?

I think video is a good idea but not a good enough I idea that I want to be the one responsible for doing it. :D

1. I haven't done 2" vbar in a while but 2HP is being run as 1 attempt in contests now. I think this rule is DUMB. Strongman allows several attempts on certain lifts within a time so why can't we, especially on a friction lift which is a total goat rodeo anyway. There is nothing on the NAGS site dictating which way so I feel like either way is legal.

2. Set-up weight will depend on width but I think they're all around 50#. Bring your scale and we'll weigh it. If I remember correctly it was 52# on 48mm for MTGD.

3. I think 24mm is the narrowest allowed? I'm going to pinch on 44mm.

4. Barefoot is fine as far as I'm concerned.

5. Listing them would be a great idea. I'm bringing the axle. Scoring will be like you said, although I think our spreadsheet is set up for 1st=10points not 100?

6. No idea on the thickbar hang. That event was suggested by Scott and since he's nice enough to let us have it as his house, I'm open to about any event he wants.