Powerlifting - More Sad State Of Affairs

Bill Piche

I honestly don't understand the appeal of geared lifting.

You and 99% of the strength community.

Suits and wraps and briefs and all that are really just doing the same thing as reverse bands. They're just on the lifter's body instead of separate from it. The next development in geared lifting, as I see it, will involve reverse bands in addition to suits, wraps, and briefs. Men will brag about squatting 1500 pounds in the Green Band Division, and they will argue over whether a man who squats 1300 in the Purple Band Division is stronger than the man who squats 1800 in the Black Band Division.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend me some good knee sleeves?

the original blue Rehbands are the best but if they are not in your price range, Tommy Kono bands are the next best bet. I love mine

• 4 weeks later...

As an ex geared power lifter i understand how shirts can act as a pride booster and helps someone whos bench without it is mediocre at best. But shirts are for technicians and ppl who get 100 pounds out of a single ply have masterd the use of a shirt. using a shirt is somewhat of a art but also a science and it becomes a game of who mastered it the best who wins outside of who actually is the strongest. Ill give you a example a guy in canada who is in the 2 ply 3 ply stuff( which i dont agree with, as a matter of fact i dont like any suits, i lift in the 100% raw federation now) but he raw benched 464 but did a 828 in a shirt. just shows you its how you master the shirt

Just a personal preference; I enjoy and admire more a bench press without an arched back, like they did in the past(you can lift more with an arched back, but I don't care)

Suits? Thanks but no thanks.

P.S. Belts are ok (even if I don't use them but rarely and train my max 99% of the time without them)

Ed Coan eats that guy for breakfast.

Yeh Ed Coan was a better powerlifter but my point is the guy goes way past parrallel and only a belt for gear. Compared to the gear and high squats that you see on the internet.

So RAW now means a belt and knee wraps?

Raw has always included the use of a belt.