Powerlifting - More Sad State Of Affairs

Bill Piche

Totals are not only being artificially inflated due to equipment use, but again also due to judging and letting touch and go benches and the most common one...NO LOCKOUT on benches. I would have been laughed out of a meet back in the 80's and BOMBED out of EVERY one if I had squatted this high. These squats are being passed too in meets.....

Go to 14:24ish and watch that one for example. This lifter actually has one of the all time highest totals at something like 220 bodyweight.

I just keep shaking me head. No wonder the raw movement spawned up.

I'm not opposed to guys doing whatever they want to lift big weights - whatever suits your fancy. I've been lifting weights long enough now (started about 1982 or 1983) to see the progression. When I did weightlifting competions in high school it was squat, bench and powerclean - we didnt wear anything. Thats progressed to this video. Dudes cant even put their own wraps and suits on anymore - pretty stupid in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I only saw one squat I would have passed, the kid in the UNC shirt at about 4 min. That 14:24 squat was a solid 3" high. This is why I don't PL any more. The drug free conferences have so many silly rules, and the geared stuff is insane. I'll stick with strongman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out this true raw squat

That was a nice squat

Check out this true raw squat

Must have been cameras all the way around him on that squat! Not much (any) question on depth there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Coan eats that guy for breakfast.

Yeh Ed Coan was a better powerlifter but my point is the guy goes way past parrallel and only a belt for gear. Compared to the gear and high squats that you see on the internet.

• 1 month later...

Powerlifting with all the super suits, gear, etc... has ruined things for the average person. I just saw a news article about Donnie Thompson setting a new squat record. These newscasters actually think he can squat 1260 pounds+. A lot of people think a human can bench over 1000 pounds also. When in all reality, if you took away the suits the numbers are WAY lower.

As a former successful powerlifter and side referee for many years the suits kind of ruined it for me. Just didn't like the inflated numbers. I'm happy to see more and more raw contests popping up. Keeps things in check.

hahah one guy actually says "trust your gear!" pffft yea trust your gear and not yourself on those half rep squats. :whacked

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh Ed Coan was a better powerlifter but my point is the guy goes way past parrallel and only a belt for gear. Compared to the gear and high squats that you see on the internet.

So RAW now means a belt and knee wraps?

So RAW now means a belt and knee wraps?

If you are referring to Scott Weeches Squat those are Knee Sleeves not knee wraps these are also legal in USAPL Raw meets.

Geared lifting has became more about suit technique and how to get every little pound out of the equipment than the lift itself. There isn't enough cross over strength from suited lifting to lifting raw to interest me. Knee wraps are the exception though, no way someone is going to get 100 lbs out of their wraps.

Knee wraps are the exception though, no way someone is going to get 100 lbs out of their wraps.

100 pounds out of knee wraps is common in modern powerlifting.

Knee wraps are the exception though, no way someone is going to get 100 lbs out of their wraps.

I have a couple of pros I talk to on wannabebig. 50-75lbs is the most I see people report as what they get out their wraps, usually with APT Convicts. 20-50lbs average for most other people. I get about 25 lbs out of mine but I use APT Bloodline, a medium wrap. You gotta find someone who says they get 100 lbs out of their wraps and find out what wrap they are using for me lol i would definitely get a pair.

I have a couple of pros I talk to on wannabebig. 50-75lbs is the most I see people report as what they get out their wraps, usually with APT Convicts. 20-50lbs average for most other people. I get about 25 lbs out of mine but I use APT Bloodline, a medium wrap. You gotta find someone who says they get 100 lbs out of their wraps and find out what wrap they are using for me lol i would definitely get a pair.

One other aspect in play here that will make up the extra....most people are not going to tell you real numbers with respect to assisted lifting. Especially if it makes them look stronger raw.

I've heard of lifters being able to bench just over 300 benching 500 with a shirt. Absolute NON STRENGTH at play there. I continue to see MILE high squats during training of some of the "big gyms" and the org they compete in is an outright joke. Non-locked out benches, half squats, touch and go benches, etc.

Again, powerlifting has become a joke overall due to this type of lifting.

Who was it that said they've seen ~225 raw benchers putting up well over 300 with a shirt? Was it Rex? Makes me think of the videos of 550+lb benches off of 3,4 or 5 boards with Inzer Rage-Xs and reverse bands, while the video is titled "565lb BENCH - HUGE PR!".

I used to train with a guy who could only do 400 raw on a good day, who did 600 with a rage x double ply grid stitch bench shirt.

Who was it that said they've seen ~225 raw benchers putting up well over 300 with a shirt? Was it Rex? Makes me think of the videos of 550+lb benches off of 3,4 or 5 boards with Inzer Rage-Xs and reverse bands, while the video is titled "565lb BENCH - HUGE PR!".

A lifter at my gym benches 628 with a shirt, about 380 without a shirt. He seems proud of it.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of geared lifting. Why don't you just redefine the definition of a pound and inflate the numbers that way? I'm sure I'll get flak for this but I don't consider lifts with suits as real lifts. Belts and wraps aren't my preference, but at least they don't practically do half the lift for you.

Edited by thewalrus