• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• lifesnotfair

• DanCottle

• blueviper42

Two things, if you don't mind criticism:

1. At what moment did your feet leave the floor? When you started pulling up? It's easier that way.

2. Were your arms bent at start? Makes it considerably easier. I'm not gonna get picky and require you to start with shoulders protracted as well (although that would be a true DeadHang), but the elbows MUST be extended at start for it to count!

Still, You're very strong to lockout with BW added!! Huge props to you !!! :rock

I cannot add weight to save my life, my elbows scream at me. At least on a straight bar. Maybe I can try my rings... I had not tried weighed pull-ups in like 2 years and a few weeks ago did 3 sets of 5 with 40# added (BW of 185#), super strict though, letting the shoulders protract at the bottom and pausing each rep like a single, knees locked... and my elbow hurt for a week so I quit on them. Funnily enough, unweighed pull-ups never give me any problems even when done with very high volume. These darn genetics..... :angry:

All those requirements that I apply to myself when doing "strict deadhang chins" make a bigger difference than people think. Most people do one or several of these things, from watching youtube:

1. Don't pull up high enough,

2. Don't lower until elbows are extended,

3. NOONE lets their shoulders go up to their ears! (that would be the way you hang if you were dead or passed out),

4. Most people have their knees flexed with their feet back, and as they pull-up, they extend the knees and even flex the hip a little bit. Most people don't realize what a big difference this motion makes, even done relatively slowly.

5. And of course, everyone uses the "stretch reflex" to kindof bounce at the bottom. I like to pause my reps, just like I do when doing Deadlifts, each rep starts without the negative portion of the lift first.

Please note these aren't rules written anywhere, just my personal preference when doing pull-ups. The above things make for good discussions when everyone is claiming to be able to do 20 "deadhang" pull-ups... if I ask them to apply all of the above they never get even close to what they claim!

Anyways I'm no guru and not even very strong at them so I'm just sharing my thoughts for fun :cool:calm

5 reps with 40 pounds added in that matter is definitely respectable. Also, strong pullup there Dan. Although I must admit I had to watch it a second time and not just stare at your girlfriend's butt. :phone

I do my weighted pullups in almost the same way as Arturo. Complete pause deadhang, with shoulders "protracted". Although I don't always keep my knees locked. I also will do slight kipping in my last set in order to get all the reps. My goal for the near future is to do a strict full deadhang pullup with 100 pounds added. A real one arm pullup is still pretty far down the road for me.

However, I should note that when I do bodyweight pullups for higher reps, I do NOT perform them in the same manner. I don't include the deadhang and pause. I focus more on speed and "explosiveness". I don't kip any though, except maybe for the last two or three reps if I really want to squeeze more out.

Edited by thewalrus

Well the guy I mentioned earlier, Zef, posted another couple of videos. This one is impressive, a 1 minute and 38 second set. I lost track how many muscle-ups, dips, and strict pull-ups he's doing without letting go of the bar. Notice there is virtually no kipping with the legs (very small if you wanna get picky). Crazy strength AND endurance.

And he posted another one. You can appreciate a one arm pull-up with each arm followed by a 1+ minute set. He does the strictest and smoothest "Type-writters" pull-ups I've ever seen. He keeps his head WAY above the bar while going from side to side. In this video though, the angle sucked for these, as they are better appreciated from the front. But you can still see he does two slow and controlled ones, first behind the bar and then in front of it!

I like Beast Mode's vids; he appears to be over 200# which changes everything IMO :ohmy

I don't think he's over 200#, but he kips the sh*t outta his moves, which also changes everything drastically. He's good though, one of the best out there for sure.

Two things, if you don't mind criticism:

1. At what moment did your feet leave the floor? When you started pulling up? It's easier that way.

2. Were your arms bent at start? Makes it considerably easier. I'm not gonna get picky and require you to start with shoulders protracted as well (although that would be a true DeadHang), but the elbows MUST be extended at start for it to count!

Still, You're very strong to lockout with BW added!! Huge props to you !!! :rock

My feet left the ground as soon as I started the pull. The bar was too lowdown and i couldnt really bend my legs because my gf was standing on them. My arms were very slightly bent. I prob couldve done it from deadhang but I was showing off one arm pullups before hand and I did a chin with her on before this before i realized i should take a vid. So yea it wasnt perfect at all but we were just messing around. Her bodyweight is around 125-130 and mine is 170-175. Max ive chined is with 145 from deadhang. Will have to vid that soon.

Dan, you have very impressive pullup strength! Would you mind sending me a PM outlining your training style and any tips to improve my back strength? It would be much appreciated.

Hey david I dont know how to send a pm here so ill write out basically what have previously done. I just started a new program based on 5/3/1 to switch it up though. I previously did a a push day and a pull day, one day on and then one off. I wont explain push cause it doesnt matter.

Basically I would do

3x3 of weighted chins from deadhang (I alternated these with one arm chin negatives every other workout up to 5 attempts or negatives per arm)(one arms hurt elbows be careful- i wasnt)

3x5 of dumbell rows

3x10 of straight arm pulldowns

then other grip work etc and some deadlifts, I never really did any bicep work etc but am now

I would increase weight as soon as i could do a an extra rep per set. As a side note the first time I tried weighted chin ups I did ~70 pounds for one rep not from deadhang so I had a decent strength base from climbing etc. Also could do 20+chinups.

I don't think he's over 200#, but he kips the sh*t outta his moves, which also changes everything drastically. He's good though, one of the best out there for sure.

I think it says 203# in one of his vids and some of the guys at the gym were saying he's 220 or 230 (which I don't believe)

I cannot add weight to save my life, my elbows scream at me. At least on a straight bar. Maybe I can try my rings... I had not tried weighed pull-ups in like 2 years and a few weeks ago did 3 sets of 5 with 40# added (BW of 185#), super strict though, letting the shoulders protract at the bottom and pausing each rep like a single, knees locked... and my elbow hurt for a week so I quit on them. Funnily enough, unweighed pull-ups never give me any problems even when done with very high volume. These darn genetics..... :angry:

I would keep shoulders retracted in training. Doing a strict max attempt every now and then is maybe ok, but in general it increases the risk of injury. I suffered a tendinitis this autumn and was out of any weight exercise for 6 weeks. I think what caused the issue in my case was extensive one arm chin-up training and neglecting to keep the shoulder retracted - in this position the supraspinatus tendon rubs against the bones and caused chalk build-up on the tendon which led to the inflammation. For the first week I could not move my arm at all. I realized this when I went back climbing for the first time. I was holding myself with the arm of the injured side and felt pain in the shoulder. I noticed that I'd let my shoulder relax. I pulled my shoulder tight to the socket and the pain went away immediately.

tja: I know what you're talking about, and maybe that is why most articles on one-arm chins recommend starting with the shoulder retracted and NOT a true deadhang. This is, however, for just one arm.

I must admit, however, that I once injured a shoulder by doing weighed pull-ups and I think it's because from the deadhang, I started pulling (closing the angle between torso and upper arm) without retracting the shoulders first. But even after this, my thoughts are that you need to always begin by retracting those shoulders and THEN pulling up. Of course, done fast enough it looks and feels like just one move. I think if this is kept in mind one shouldn't get injured. But I cringe everytime I even remember of that time I tried pulling myself without tightening the shoulders first, it hurt a lot.

jad: beast is a beast (heh) and I enjoy his videos, but the hips are very powerful... have you got any experience with kipping pull-ups? Konstantinov has a video of 55 pull-ups at a BW of 300#, but all kipped, and it's not even a huge kip. How many full ROM pull-ups he'd do strict at that BW? No idea, but I'm quite sure less than half if he uses the same ROM (elbows extended, chin over bar). This is just to show that a little contribution from the hips makes a huge difference in pull-ups. I have nothing against kipping but I love how Zef does his stuff very strictly and still cranks out dozens of reps without even signs of fatigue. Beasts uses his legs TREMENDOUSLY as evidenced by most of his videos. Sure, he's heavier, so that evens it out a little bit, but still, I'm more impressed by the stricter moves as even a noob like me can get tremendous advantages from a good kip. (Edit: still nowhere remotely NEAR him so I'm still giving huge props to him).

Edited by Arturo

Konstantinovs was not 300 pounds in his 55 pullups video. He was 122 kg, which is slightly under 270 pounds. If you think he wasn't kipping much, I don't really know what you would consider large kipping. If he kipped anymore he would practically just be jumping.

edit: I'm not trying to imply it's not impressive, because Konstantinovs is my favorite lifter and one of the strongest people in the world.

Edited by thewalrus

tja: I know what you're talking about, and maybe that is why most articles on one-arm chins recommend starting with the shoulder retracted and NOT a true deadhang. This is, however, for just one arm.

I must admit, however, that I once injured a shoulder by doing weighed pull-ups and I think it's because from the deadhang, I started pulling (closing the angle between torso and upper arm) without retracting the shoulders first. But even after this, my thoughts are that you need to always begin by retracting those shoulders and THEN pulling up. Of course, done fast enough it looks and feels like just one move. I think if this is kept in mind one shouldn't get injured. But I cringe everytime I even remember of that time I tried pulling myself without tightening the shoulders first, it hurt a lot.

jad: beast is a beast (heh) and I enjoy his videos, but the hips are very powerful... have you got any experience with kipping pull-ups? Konstantinov has a video of 55 pull-ups at a BW of 300#, but all kipped, and it's not even a huge kip. How many full ROM pull-ups he'd do strict at that BW? No idea, but I'm quite sure less than half if he uses the same ROM (elbows extended, chin over bar). This is just to show that a little contribution from the hips makes a huge difference in pull-ups. I have nothing against kipping but I love how Zef does his stuff very strictly and still cranks out dozens of reps without even signs of fatigue. Beasts uses his legs TREMENDOUSLY as evidenced by most of his videos. Sure, he's heavier, so that evens it out a little bit, but still, I'm more impressed by the stricter moves as even a noob like me can get tremendous advantages from a good kip. (Edit: still nowhere remotely NEAR him so I'm still giving huge props to him).

K's video is not even comparable to the stuff Beast mode pulls off and yes, I know bar stunts are not K's focus. Kip or no kip, I've never seen anyone over 200 pull off the stuff Beastmode does. Zef is without a doubt MUCH stricter than Beast but he's what 160#? You're overemphasizing the kip and not giving enough credit to Beast for the additional BW.

Not that it can compete with anything in this thread, but I've got an old video on youtube of me doing BW+45lbs for 8 chinups. Found the link in my old workout log, not sure if the link works since Youtube is blocked here at work.

jad: I was actually giving him a lot of credit. But his hips, and most noticeably his KNEES go very very high in his sets. They reach bar level in his muscle-ups before he's doing the dip portion of the move! I mean, he's almost horizontal at one point during his MU's. Comparing that to smaller, almost unnoticeable kips is comparing apples to oranges, that was my point. I acknowledge the dude is a BEAST and definitely one of the best in Youtube. Not taking anything away from him.

I like the idea of the kip since it allows heavier guys to be able to play this "bar game". This guys are ripped though, they all look bigger than they are. Juice, also from Beastmode, says he's 170# and looks as big if not bigger than Beast. So I dunno about the 203# bodyweight. Here both of them are seen together:

Well if Beast is 170# then Hannibal and Zef must be 125lbers LOL. I will say I think an Elite gymnast could come out and easily duplicate all of this. That one guy said "a gymnast would be PG on this bar, Pure Garbage" :rolleyes

thechuck: that's pretty good actually! These guys in Youtube are incredibly so don't be fooled, it's not normal to be that strong, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW thats really impressive....how much does he weigh?

WOW thats really impressive....how much does he weigh?

Artem Taynow - world champion of armwrestling both hands.

On moment of video - 190 lbs.

• 1 month later...

I think the most extreme pullups I've ever seen are these one armed pinky pullups by Dani Andrada

Edited by AllenValse

Webbing does help a lot when doing single finger pullups(compared to a bar) but doing it with one pinky is pretty crazy.

Check out some of the Ghetto Workouts on youtube..... They are amazing!!