Grip Sport Organization

Jedd Johnson

Oh thanks Bob, that's a really good point about the impliments. That caused quite a stir at the CGC if everyone remembers. It had dawned to me that that other people don't lift the same way I do at home. Its hard to believe that it had never come up before then. So how was I susposed to know? Not to mention it was my first contest.

Parris

Oh PS. It was really hard not to spit on my hand before the hammer event!! I figured that really would have got the guys goin!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• The Mac

• rico300zx

Allright, I have some things that may help-

1. Maybe mentioning cleaning the equipment in the rules, ie "washing the chalk off the euro device or vbar is not allowed", "promoter discretion", or something. Not digging at you honest Parris! Something I had never thought of before it happened.

2. I'd love contact info on the page. We all know how to get a hold of you Jedd, not everyone else will. If there is someone handling records or what not, their info would be good.

I would love to help Jedd, and if you have any "assignments" for me, let me know.

RE: 1 - Good Point. Put it into my notes to be added.

RE: 2 - Do you mean my contact info up on the main page? That is a very good idea.

RE: Help - Bob, I am preparing for a product release next week, so I am tied up with that right now. As that gets over with, I will be able to get back into it though and will keep you in mind. Thanks.

Another thing to think about re: drug testing. There may be some liability in terms of lawsuits. Lets say someone whose reputation and living in some way revolves around sponsorship for grip feats tests positive for whatever reason. To defend their reputation and possible sponsorship or whatever income, a legal battle could insue.

Please note this is purely hypothetical, what brought this to mind was Ed Coan's legal deal with the IPF. No money per se for the championship, but sponsorship and reputation was on the line. There are very few people in grip who make a living this way, and I don't suspect any of them of using steroids. It is just a hypothetical that could cost money down the line.

Jedd , another question about getting into a class, Only a actual contest? In the past there have been qualifiers. i know it depends on how many entrants there are but if a qualifier is not a actual contest and its anounced can those lifts count toward say getting into the elite calss or any other class for that matter. do you know waht im asking?

parris

Contests will be sanctioned or not once the promoter send me the events. If the contest is designed to allow for fairness between handsizes, the contest will most likely be sanctioned.

Open A is decided if the athlete gets top 3 out of 7 in a sanctioned contest. If it is a contest with 3 people, they all finish in the top 3. That is not right to grant them Open A status when other guys have to beat out 4 other competitors.

You are mistaking the Classes with Nationals. You can qualify for Nationals by accomplishing certain marks. These will remain and be decided soon and then announced. Some of them are too easy. Those will be re-worked.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion, but if not, let me know.

Jedd

Another thing to think about re: drug testing. There may be some liability in terms of lawsuits. Lets say someone whose reputation and living in some way revolves around sponsorship for grip feats tests positive for whatever reason. To defend their reputation and possible sponsorship or whatever income, a legal battle could insue.

Please note this is purely hypothetical, what brought this to mind was Ed Coan's legal deal with the IPF. No money per se for the championship, but sponsorship and reputation was on the line. There are very few people in grip who make a living this way, and I don't suspect any of them of using steroids. It is just a hypothetical that could cost money down the line.

More good points, Bob. I hadn't thought about that.

Did I not mention the possibility of Legal Action on Page 1?

Mac,

I meant I hadn't thought about it the way Bob mentioned.

If that is what you were talking about, it didn't register like that.

Jedd

Chris, you did mention it, and actually I credit you with bringing up the topic. It is hard to remember all the ways people can come at you for, just wanted to remind Jedd it isn't always directly about money.

By the way, I think alot of guys in grip stuff are happy with the drugfree stand. Many of the guys I train with just aren't into the steroid stuff for various reasons- Family, legal, reputation, etc.

I am glad you took the stand there Jedd. I wasn't sure that a grip org was going to go that way. I am pretty sure most of the guys who helped start the modern grip contest movement in the US are steroid free.

I think in a country where the drugs are actually illegal and a fairly serious crime, like here in the US - we should make the effort. In other countries where the laws are different - that decision might be viewed differently. One is a criminal act - the other a moral decision. As an organization, we should at least try to discourage it.

have to say well done to Jedd on this, it looks really good.

I'm a big fan of the 100% scoring system which rewards big lifts rather than trying to scrape a win with the lowest poundage neccesary to beat the next guy.

"Drug-Free Organization

North American Grip Sport is a Drug-Free organization. In the near future guidelines will be established for testing procedures."

Now that is the REAL DEAL.