Grip Sport Organization

Jedd Johnson

The North American Grip Sport Association is now rolling.

Check it out: http://www.gripsport.org

I wrote about it on DIESEL as well: Grip Sport

If you have a Facebook or MySpace page, it would be great if you posted one of these links there to help spread the word around.

Thanks a lot!

Jedd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• The Mac

• rico300zx

This looks like a fun and well organized site and association for all us grip fanatics to become a part of. Will do on the link because free PR is still good PR.

The site looks good, I was confused about the 4th attempt thing though at first read. Its good to see this coming together, thanks for your efforts as well. How do you intend on doing drug testing since you have it on the website and how will it be paid for?

Parris

Finally got around to reading it. Very nice, good job.

I like the "100 points" scoring method, as it is logical, and rewards all-out effort. I never liked the "doing just enough to win" method of scoring that can occur with the "Strongman" method of scoring. It always reminded me of someone getting a First Down in American Football, then stopping.

Another thing that I like about it. To be an "Elite" lifter, you have to be good at Grip. What I mean by that is, let's say there was a Pro Strongman who could Double Overhand 450 on the Axle. There are probably several dozen of them. To get to 800, they would have to hit 350 between other two disciplines, which is not about just being strong and having big hands, it means the two most contested events one has to have a certain skill level. Likewise, to be an "Elite" competitor, you have to be strong, real strong. You could have a Two Hand Pinch of 230, a grip rating gripper-closing ability of 170, and you would still have to pull 400 on the Axle, which requires a lot of brute strength. Lastly, the 3 criteria that are involved in making one an Elite competitor in Grip just so happen to be the most popular 3 events in competitions of recent years. It's a good standard.

At some point, will there be membership, dues, etc? I know that can be a "turnoff", but even if it were just $10-$20 per year, maybe some costs JJ incurs could be offset.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Given the difficulties of administering and paying for the Drug Testing I'm suprised that this was even brought up.

There's really no difficulty at all.

The site looks good, I was confused about the 4th attempt thing though at first read. Its good to see this coming together, thanks for your efforts as well. How do you intend on doing drug testing since you have it on the website and how will it be paid for?

Parris

Could you give more detail about your confusion on the 4th attempt? Are you talking about extra attempts?

Great stuff Jedd! I like the scoring system too and the classifications seem very well thought out. I noticed that I wasn't on the promoter's list. I gave my information to Aaron C. a while back regarding that. Not sure if I was lost in the shuffle or maybe I was too wishy-washy about whether I planned on promoting another grip contest anytime soon. I do plan on promoting another contest, just don't know when it will be specifically. I have declined promoter-ship of the next USAWA grip contest due to heavy work schedule.

Ben, I am glad you said something. The way the documentation read that i got from Aaron it sounded like you were not interested. I will add you soon.

Thanks.

Jedd

Just put up a new GSR show where I cover the various pages at the Grip Sport site: Grip Strength Radio

Please leave a comment if you have questions.

Thanks.

Jedd

Given the difficulties of administering and paying for the Drug Testing I'm suprised that this was even brought up.

Go on then, please explain how it will work.

I am genuinely interested.

Go on then, please explain how it will work.

I am genuinely interested.

they have mail in drug test that you can pick up in almost any drug store. it would take about 15 minutes to arrange. there is a us drug free strongman org that uses them. they collect a sample after the comp and you don't get the check until you pass.

Jedd,

yes I was talking about the extra attempt. Also I'm positive I could beat 99% of the YO-YOs out there that think "cheating" is what it takes to get strong at grip, I've ran into plenty of them through the years and their all show. Good call keeping the clean.

Parris

Ps I should be done with nursing school next dec. So don't count me out its just more important for me right now.

Ah, a Fool Proof system then.

I'd have to look into it but would think that at the first legal challenge it would collapse like a House of Cards.

Hmm.

Chris,

In my old job I "witness" dozens of piss tests. For those the process was simple.

All you do is you have the dude take a piss into a cup. You then dip a piece of absorbent material (forget what it's called) into the urine. You insert the paper into a small plastic tray and if the channel turns color in any of the indicator areas for various drugs, it's a positive. Then I will kick the dude out. What is he going to do assault me? Let him try and I will own his house and none of my kids will have to pay to go to college.

What is someone going to do sue me because they don't get the title of first or second place grip champion??? It's not like we're talking about a million dollars prize money or anything.

I never expected questioning about that kind of thing? Have you experienced different or something?

I can't even think of any current grip guys that I would even expect of enhancing substances, here in the US...

Jedd

Jedd,

Having been involved in and having some decent knowledge of sports who actually are quite serious about drug testing (A and B samples, accredited Laboratories etc) and the legal and procedural challenges they have I'm quite suprised that anyone thinks store a "store bought" steroid test is going to cut it - those strips test for, what, 13 different types?

As for who is going to "sue", I think you misunderstand the sort of ego and pride you might be dealing with - as you well know, lots of blood and pain and sweat (not to mention a sizeable hunk of change) goes into getting ready for a competiton, if a result come back that the Testee believes to be incorrect or flawed what would you expect them to do? Plus I believe one of your stated motives is to actually get some better prize money into the sport, that's only going to increase the likelihood of a challenge.

Jedd, I think you've gone above and beyond by even requiring testing. If someone is going to try and game the grip drug test, then so be it LMAO!! I HOPE Grip gets to the point where guys get on to win contests.

Ben, I am glad you said something. The way the documentation read that i got from Aaron it sounded like you were not interested. I will add you soon.

Thanks.

Jedd

Sorry about the misunderstanding Jedd. I know that wasn't Aaron's fault. I was a bit back and forth on it but I've gone almost 5 months without a grip workout at this point and I'm starting to miss them. It won't be long before I do a workout and then I'll surely have the urge to at least promote a grip contest, if not actually compete.

Well it is good to take a break here and there. i bet you'll come back even stronger bro.

Thanks for this Jedd! Really cool. Are you the contact for contest info? I will be having stuff up for MGC soon.

Let me preface the following by writing I am going to support this no matter what, the following is definitely not a huge issue for me-

I only have one criticism- Requiring the 100 point score system. This system is great except in medleys and timed events. In timed events especially- If you have somebody go 10 seconds and somebody else go 3, that might not be a huge strength difference but it is a huge point difference. That is a 70 point difference for one event. That is equal to a 200 gripper beating a guy closing a 60 gripper, or a 240 pincher going against a 72 pound pincher.

Or, in another way- If you beat a guy in gripper, pinch, and axle 180-171, 240-228, and 400-380, he would beat you overall with a timed hold of 20 seconds to your 16.

If you guys are set on this for all comps, I won't complain. I would prefer to have strongman scoring in my competition. Again, I will go with the flow though. I see why you are mandating the scoring system, I could always make seperate 100 point scale for your ratings. Whatever you want want Jedd.

Also-

Regarding drug tests, I have always been in favor of steroid free comps. However, you need special testing for steroids because you have to determine ratios, and small chemical differences. I think you need to send away for all that.

There's a bunch of issues regarding any drug policy and the testing used. Here's a few to consider;

1) Life time, 1 year and so on. Will you prohibit those that used at all, so life-time drug free (ergo the OTC test is negated as it cannot tell), or is it limited to just for that competition (in the other extreme). Such tests are not accurate enough.

2) Some of the cheaper tests test for ALL drug use. In other words a broad spectrum test not limited to steroids and similar but include other recreational drugs, some of which may be legal in the states where they were used. One of the competitors may have smoked some weed and find that the next day a test indicates this. Your policy may not include some drugs and yet the test strips will show a positive for this drug. These tests are cheap. Steroidconfirm is 145.00 dollars a box.

3) Prohormone, Sarms etc use: There are many quite (for now) legal testosterone enhancing and steroid like products used, quite often by anti-steroid guys, which will produce a false positive. Guys who, again quite legally and within the as yet written rules of association, use said items thinking they will be ok may not. Thus they could test positive and wrongly so.

4) Who will be tested? In some sports it's the winners only, in others at random, in others record breakers only. With the cost to consider chose carefully.

Finally, unless there are sponsors already lined up offering bucks for grip IF testing takes place do not imagine this will change if testing begins.

5) If you introduce the 1 year, 2 year etc policy will you allow a time for those that used to go off before beginning tests?