Major Grip Contest, $5,000 Purse

Hubgeezer

Mike great write up. The men did a quality job on some varied, tough events. I don't know Mr. Felix as well as Chad and Andrew but I know they deserved a high placemrent as they they showed by the final results. Pound for pound Andrew is one if not the most amazing, tough , and strong athletes I have ever seen... a gentleman with a heart of a lion.I know Chad was in there 100% truly a gifted hard working, gripmaster... never enough praise his accomplishments. The rest of the competitors all added to the recognition of grip "to the masses" and Odd shouldering the load to organize AND compete was his stamp of true commitment to strength. I am thrilled to know "grip is growing". I have a bit of work ahead for the Mighty Mitts but things are coming together well to showcase even more grip talent opportunities.My congratulations to all at this fine event! RS

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Kashtan

• bencrush

• andurniat

Big congrats to all the competitors.

Looks like the guys from the Gripboard really kicked some tail! :rock

Tremendous contest, the level of grip sport has risen once again. Mark, Chad, Odd, Louis-Phillipe, Josh and Jerry were all great. It was great to see the change in attitude toward grip as the week progressed (think Rocky ad Ivan Drago in Rocky 4). Chad and I started the weekend little more than extra bodies in the warm-up area. As events progressed and pro strongmen discovered new weaknesses attitudes and chatter started to turn. By the end Nick Best came up to me after the frame hold and said, "I did that same time at WSM, but I was using straps. That's some impressive shit." The grip community took another step forward this weekend.

Thank you to Odd, dotfit and all the others that helped make this competition happen.

A more formal write-up will come in a couple of days.

Mike great write up. The men did a quality job on some varied, tough events. I don't know Mr. Felix as well as Chad and Andrew but I know they deserved a high placemrent as they they showed by the final results. Pound for pound Andrew is one if not the most amazing, tough , and strong athletes I have ever seen... a gentleman with a heart of a lion.I know Chad was in there 100% truly a gifted hard working, gripmaster... never enough praise his accomplishments. The rest of the competitors all added to the recognition of grip "to the masses" and Odd shouldering the load to organize AND compete was his stamp of true commitment to strength. I am thrilled to know "grip is growing". I have a bit of work ahead for the Mighty Mitts but things are coming together well to showcase even more grip talent opportunities.My congratulations to all at this fine event! RS

Agreed. I've been told many times that certain well-known strength athletes would, if they put their minds to it, do very well. We know to be a strength athlete (with no focus on grip) you will still have a strong grip. But here are guys who 'grip athletes' who are strong. Andrew and Chad did us all proud. :mosher

Addendum... the cash (thanks to Odd) helps take the sting out of the 2nd and 3rd places.

Edited by mobsterone

Last event for Saturday was the Viking Fishing Pole. A wrist roller event to crank up a pole that was dragging giant fishing line "weights" on a metal cable with a fish at the end of it. I don't know, you may have had to crank the end of the pole up perhaps 9 feet up for the fish (the last implement) to get off the ground. At about 3 feet, the first object gets lifted off the ground, and then maybe every 18 inches after that. I think there were 5 weights, plus the fish. If you were successful, it was how fast you did it. Otherwise, it was a measure of "how many" of the notches that came off the floor. Pritchett had 1, Andrew had 4, Haugen had 5, and the other three all got it up all the way. LP Jean was 34.2 seconds, Felix 34.1 seconds (?, close), and Chad was 15.4 seconds.

One visual scene, one of my favorites, I will describe here. I doubt if there is any video. At best, perhaps a Randy Strossen photo out there. Chad approaches the wrist roller. As he grabs it, just envision the Rambo character taking over his body. He squats down like he has just hopped onto an enemy machine gun nest and is mowing down bad guys. His hands are just turning over like you would not believe with a super psycho intense look on his face ala Rambo and throws everything he had into it, plus more. The results speak for themselves - - all the implements off the floor, and doing it in less than half the time than anyone else did it. The sudden physical transformation and super effort with even better results made for, as I said, one impressive visual. Just imagine how fast the hands had to be spinning to crank up over 8 feet of cable on a two inch wrist roller in 15 seconds...

No one knows how much the thing weighed, some guesses were 200 lbs.

Great description Mike! I love watching The Chad compete.

Had never met him. Never seen him compete. That one event made me a Believer.

Last event for Saturday was the Viking Fishing Pole. A wrist roller event to crank up a pole that was dragging giant fishing line "weights" on a metal cable with a fish at the end of it. I don't know, you may have had to crank the end of the pole up perhaps 9 feet up for the fish (the last implement) to get off the ground. At about 3 feet, the first object gets lifted off the ground, and then maybe every 18 inches after that. I think there were 5 weights, plus the fish. If you were successful, it was how fast you did it. Otherwise, it was a measure of "how many" of the notches that came off the floor. Pritchett had 1, Andrew had 4, Haugen had 5, and the other three all got it up all the way. LP Jean was 34.2 seconds, Felix 34.1 seconds (?, close), and Chad was 15.4 seconds.

One visual scene, one of my favorites, I will describe here. I doubt if there is any video. At best, perhaps a Randy Strossen photo out there. Chad approaches the wrist roller. As he grabs it, just envision the Rambo character taking over his body. He squats down like he has just hopped onto an enemy machine gun nest and is mowing down bad guys. His hands are just turning over like you would not believe with a super psycho intense look on his face ala Rambo and throws everything he had into it, plus more. The results speak for themselves - - all the implements off the floor, and doing it in less than half the time than anyone else did it. The sudden physical transformation and super effort with even better results made for, as I said, one impressive visual. Just imagine how fast the hands had to be spinning to crank up over 8 feet of cable on a two inch wrist roller in 15 seconds...

No one knows how much the thing weighed, some guesses were 200 lbs.

No Mike, there is video. Lookey what I found :D . Enjoy!

Very cool! Chad is a phenom for sure. At the 2008 BBB he asked me a few bending questions. Not necessarily technique, but I think it was more along the lines of "what bar do you think I should attempt next?" He bent some big steel that day and my point is he probably (literally) had only spent 1/10,000th the time training bending that I had up to that point. And still beat me in an event that I had put more time into than some intermediates have put into all of their grip training.

Rolling Thunder. Weights were pre-determined. Everyone made the opening of 205, which was mandatory.

There were 8 sign-ups. Brian Shaw was not there, but paid for his admission, registered in advance, etc. Haugen seemed to think it was the Arnold Strongman preparation concern that was the reason for not pursuing it. Tex and Rich apparently were never 100% committed. The only 3 entrants of the 7 who began who were not in the strongman contest and the grip contest were Andrew, Chad, and Haugen. Jerry Pritchett and LP Jean both pulled 216, everyone else passed. The two of them failed on 227, and all the rest successfully pulled 227. On 238, Josh Thigpen failed, and the rest got it. On 249, Chad failed, with 3 remaining. At 260, Andrew and Odd missed, Felix got it, so that was it. Felix 260, Andrew and Odd tying for second with 249.

Medley. Josh Thigpen, out, leaving 6 competitors. Jerry Pritchett successfully got 3 of the 6 implements onto the platform. And yes Ladies and Gentlemen, the only place in the world where it is reported exactly what they did is here, as no one else tracked what was pulled and what was not. Yes, you read that correctly, the only place in the world. Pritchett got the 45 lb hub, the Inch, and the Circus Dumbbell. LP got 4 objects, the same as Pritchett, plus the 50 lb Blob. Felix, Haugen, and Chad all had 5 implements, what LP had, plus the Vertical Bar. The tie breaker was how many reps they had on the Go-Really Grip Machine, which meant the placings were Chad 2nd, Haugen 3rd, and Felix 4th. Durniat got all the implements, plus 50 reps. So Andrew was the only one who picked up the Mllnm Dumbbell.

Sunday opened with the Axle Deadlift. Jerry Pritchett pulled out after straining a forearm on the wrist roller; he didn't want to screw up his Strongman contest, so now there were only 5 remaining competitors. Opened with 396. My notes said "easy" for all 5. All but LP Jean passed on 420, which he got. At 440, LP went out, but the other 4 were successful. At 463, Chad went out, and the other 3 were good. Haugen and Andrew tied for second at 463. Felix won with 485.

Trap Bar hold for time. It was a trap bar with risers on it pulled from the floor. Not an easy thing for a "grip guy" with a weight of 705 lbs, which I heard made the handles 14 inches high from the floor. 5th was LP with 14.4 seconds, 4th at 28.7 seconds was Haugen, 3rd was Chad with 41.2 seconds, Andrew had 42.4 seconds, and Felix won with 49 seconds. Although Felix was very casual, and it looked easy, if it was 4 inches higher, I think Andrew and Chad would have beat him. That is not hyperbole, it is fact. Andrew, going up, almost didn't look like he was going to make it, then he recovered, and was amazing.

Last event Inch DB. How many reps in 120 seconds could be deadifted?

1. Andrew D, 17.

2. M Felix, 14.

3. O. Haugen, 13.

4. Chad Woodall, 4.

5. LP Jean, 0.

Overall:

1. Mark Felix, 43 points

2. Andrew Durniat, 40 points

3. Chad Woodall, 36 points

4. Odd Haugen, 35 points

5. LP Jean, 20.5 points

6. Jerry Pritchett, 8.5 points

7. Josh Thigpen, 4 points

How about that? I didn't offer my usual biased commentary. Except after everyone left, I tried the wrist roller. I got one object off the ground, darn close to 2 of them. That is the only event where I would not have come in last place.

Mike, do you mean no one kept score? Were you the official score keeper?

Rolling Thunder. Weights were pre-determined. Everyone made the opening of 205, which was mandatory.

There were 8 sign-ups. Brian Shaw was not there, but paid for his admission, registered in advance, etc. Haugen seemed to think it was the Arnold Strongman preparation concern that was the reason for not pursuing it. Tex and Rich apparently were never 100% committed. The only 3 entrants of the 7 who began who were not in the strongman contest and the grip contest were Andrew, Chad, and Haugen. Jerry Pritchett and LP Jean both pulled 216, everyone else passed. The two of them failed on 227, and all the rest successfully pulled 227. On 238, Josh Thigpen failed, and the rest got it. On 249, Chad failed, with 3 remaining. At 260, Andrew and Odd missed, Felix got it, so that was it. Felix 260, Andrew and Odd tying for second with 249.

Medley. Josh Thigpen, out, leaving 6 competitors. Jerry Pritchett successfully got 3 of the 6 implements onto the platform. And yes Ladies and Gentlemen, the only place in the world where it is reported exactly what they did is here, as no one else tracked what was pulled and what was not. Yes, you read that correctly, the only place in the world. Pritchett got the 45 lb hub, the Inch, and the Circus Dumbbell. LP got 4 objects, the same as Pritchett, plus the 50 lb Blob. Felix, Haugen, and Chad all had 5 implements, what LP had, plus the Vertical Bar. The tie breaker was how many reps they had on the Go-Really Grip Machine, which meant the placings were Chad 2nd, Haugen 3rd, and Felix 4th. Durniat got all the implements, plus 50 reps. So Andrew was the only one who picked up the Mllnm Dumbbell.

Sunday opened with the Axle Deadlift. Jerry Pritchett pulled out after straining a forearm on the wrist roller; he didn't want to screw up his Strongman contest, so now there were only 5 remaining competitors. Opened with 396. My notes said "easy" for all 5. All but LP Jean passed on 420, which he got. At 440, LP went out, but the other 4 were successful. At 463, Chad went out, and the other 3 were good. Haugen and Andrew tied for second at 463. Felix won with 485.

Trap Bar hold for time. It was a trap bar with risers on it pulled from the floor. Not an easy thing for a "grip guy" with a weight of 705 lbs, which I heard made the handles 14 inches high from the floor. 5th was LP with 14.4 seconds, 4th at 28.7 seconds was Haugen, 3rd was Chad with 41.2 seconds, Andrew had 42.4 seconds, and Felix won with 49 seconds. Although Felix was very casual, and it looked easy, if it was 4 inches higher, I think Andrew and Chad would have beat him. That is not hyperbole, it is fact. Andrew, going up, almost didn't look like he was going to make it, then he recovered, and was amazing.

Last event Inch DB. How many reps in 120 seconds could be deadifted?

1. Andrew D, 17.

2. M Felix, 14.

3. O. Haugen, 13.

4. Chad Woodall, 4.

5. LP Jean, 0.

Overall:

1. Mark Felix, 43 points

2. Andrew Durniat, 40 points

3. Chad Woodall, 36 points

4. Odd Haugen, 35 points

5. LP Jean, 20.5 points

6. Jerry Pritchett, 8.5 points

7. Josh Thigpen, 4 points

How about that? I didn't offer my usual biased commentary. Except after everyone left, I tried the wrist roller. I got one object off the ground, darn close to 2 of them. That is the only event where I would not have come in last place.

Mike, do you mean no one kept score? Were you the official score keeper?

There was official scoring. On the Medley, officially, no one tracked what implements were picked up and which were not. I think this is the case at most contests. Usually, the "number of implements" is tallied, but not WHICH implement. In this case, because there were only 6 implements, it was not big deal for me to keep track of it. But they were not put in the "official" records, the spreadsheet kept by Jongwon Lee, designed by, well, I am not sure, possibly the Strongman scorekeeper (there were two separate scorekeepers for the two contests). There was a judge and myself feeding the information to Lee, and I checked every entry that went into it, and "manually" with a calculator at the end of it.

I got there in time to see the last 2 events great to see Andrew do so well

at this event. Talked with him and Chad and also Randy from Ironmind . Had great time cheering everyone on.

were there anymore videos or pictures from the comp? ... would love to see the medley and inch for reps

inch for reps

Inch for reps was last, and the last pairing was Mark Felix and Andrew Durniat. Initially, they were going rep for rep, practically in unison. Maybe 2 seconds separating each other from each rep at the most, sometimes a fraction of a second. Once they got to double digits Andrew pulled away.

What was interesting was that to the person watching, Andrew made it look very easy, very casual, as if he were bending over and picking up a fruit basket. The audience was getting into it. He also seemed to be pulling each rep up higher than Mark as well. Very impressive!

Don't know about video. There were not a lot of "grip guys" in attendance, mostly generic attendees.

Seemed to be a really great comp!! Congrats to Mark, Andrew, THE CHAD and Odd!

A video of the medley and the InchDB for reps would be cool indeed!

• 4 weeks later...

No Mike, there is video. Lookey what I found :D . Enjoy!

I just now discovered that in this mix of Youtube videos, there are also videos of the fishing pole for Andrew, Haugen, and Felix.