Major Grip Contest, $5,000 Purse

Hubgeezer

Odd Haugen has been working for months on putting together a grip contest on the Main Stage at the next Fit Expo in Los Angeles in January. He had been receiving input from a number of people, including yours truly. I had whined to him that the Mighty Mitts did not have Grippers, and did not have any Pinch.

A couple of days ago he sent me an email and told me that the contest was a definite go, would have an entry form ready shortly.

It is "an open challenge to all grip masters and 'wannabe' grip masters", with an Entry Fee of $100. The dates are 3 pm Saturday January 29, and noon on Sunday January 30. I suspect, but am not positive, that it will work around the Strongman contest that takes place at that time. He said, "I have preliminary commitments from Brian Shaw, Rich Williams and Tex Henderson".

Prizes are:

1st Place, $2,500

2nd Place, $1,500

3rd Place, $1,000

The Events are:

Saturday:

1. Rolling Thunder Last Man Standing. Athletes have 20 seconds to commence the lift after it is loaded. Starting weight, approx 200 lbs.

2. Mighty Mitts Power Medley. Single-handedly lifting onto a platform: An anvil by the horn, barbell plate by the hub 35 lbs & 45 lbs (that's two), York 40 lb Blob, York 50 lb Blob, and 181 lb 3 inch handle Circus Dumbbell Lift. If all of those get done, do double handed reps on the Go-Really-Grip Machine. If all objects are lifted by more than one person, most reps on the machine wins the event.

Sunday:

1. Double Overhand Deadlift on Apollon Axle. Increasing until One Man Standing. 20 seconds to commence the lift. Opening weight to be 352 lbs.

2. Hercules (Deadlift) Hold. Trap Bar loaded to 705 lbs for time.

3. Thomas Inch Dumbbell Deadlift. Number of reps done in 90 second time limit wins.

Hubgeezer Commentary: I suspect this is structured so that the large audience does not get bored, hence the very fast time limits. I think they would like about a dozen participants. I like the idea of it being "open". It there were a lot of participants, I think they might do something about "thinning the herd" after Day 1. End of Hubgeezer Commentary.

Edited by Hubgeezer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Kashtan

• bencrush

• andurniat

I love to see grip getting more mainstream. A few comments though.

-Grippers are boring. They will never be fun to watch so it does not bother me they are not included.

-3 out of 5 events are thickbar. a 4th is a mix of thick bar and some ridiculously easy challeneges. Come on, 40lb blobs and some hubs? Not even in the same leauge as the rest of the events. Yes thickbar should be there but not almost every event. Why should someone be impressed by a deadlift of 500 pounds on an axle when Big Z has put around 450 overhead? Most people don't care that one has to be done double overhand and that is what makes it hard to lift.

-Thickbar is not nearly as exciting to the general public as some people think it is. When most people see thickbar lifting all they see is someone lifting a marginal amount of weight. Try explaining the physics of it rolling out of your hand or the fact that the bar is thicker makes it harder. It does not go over well.

-2 hand pinch, if done in a fast format, is impressive. People wonder how you can pick up so much weight without a handle to grab on. Pick a width for everybodya nd load the weights up just like they are running the rolling thunder event. It should run as fast or faster.

-Vbar is also impressive. Use a rotating v-bar and lift it to full deadlift. Again, people who see this are impressed because there is no "handle" to hold on to. 2" or 1", both will look good when done to full lockout.

Hats off to Odd for putting this on. When it all comes down to it he is an experienced promoter and will do a better job than I ever will, these are just my observations on what I think is a good combination of a good show and a good test of all around strength.

Looks good and I plan to enter my name into the fun.

Depending on the Anvil weight, the medley is going to be a blur with lots of people doing reps on the Go-Ready.

Lots of support grip on the second day.

knowing odd. its probrably a deadlift from the floor. it would be better if he brought his 700lb frame instead. Im gonna bring my millenium dumbell with me (like i do every year) and see if anybody wants to play with it.I was shocked that Corey St. Claire and Mark Felix couldn't lift. It was after the strongman contest though.

Edited by handgripperman

knowing odd. its probrably a deadlift from the floor. it would be better if he brought his 700lb frame instead. Im gonna bring my millenium dumbell with me (like i do every year) and see if anybody wants to play with it.I was shocked that Corey St. Claire and Mark Felix couldn't lift. It was after the strongman contest though.

Side note: Great to see you Kevin!

Trap bar - is that already off the ground (on blocks) or does it need deadlifting?

His response was "The pick on the trap bar will be around 18" to keep it from being too much of a deadlift".

Hbgzr

Cool. That I might manage. I KNOW I can hold it but from the floor would be something I've never done.

If I come I'll lift it.

Cool. That I might manage. I KNOW I can hold it but from the floor would be something I've never done.

If I come I'll lift it.

In 2005, I was wary of a 500 lb Trap Bar hold from blocks for a contest. My son and I took my trap bar to Clay Edgin's house, as he had some blocks similar to those used for the contest. My son was 23 years old, 190 lbs, and had not lifted weights at that time. He pulled 540 pounds off the blocks. In 2006, I held 500 lbs for about 22 seconds from blocks, but I could not pick up 400 two inches from the floor.

For you, 700 lbs will not be a problem.

I did some work with a trap bar today to 507lbs from about 16-inches. Annoyingly we have blocks in our yard but the trap bars is at the other gym. I sweated more setting it up than lifting it. Holding on was not an issue.

I didn't mention scoring:

****************************************************************************************

The score in a Discipline shall be determined by placement and based on the number of Athletes starting in the first Discipline of the contest. If an Athlete passes on a Discipline or fails to get a measurable result in a Discipline, he will receive zero (0) points (i.e. fails to get one repetition in a Discipline for maximum repettions, fails to lift the opening weight in a max lift, etc.). The score for a placement shall remain the same through an entire competition (i.e. if the score for 1st place is 12 points in the first Discipline, it will remain 12 points in subsequent Disciplines even if the field of athletes has been reduced by attrition). However, if there is a cut in the number of athletes due to time constraints, the scoring will be weighted.

*****************************************************************************************

3 out of 5 events are these:

RT

Axle

Inch for reps

Can you say thickbar? ... at least ONE of those three events needs to go, and for sure the one event that almost everyone knows and loves is the Two Hand Pinch. Wether people have tried an Euro pinch or not, I think most top grip guys have lifted or attempted to lift 2-35's, 2-45's, etc. Plate pinching was popular way back in the day from what I've read (John Davis?). Richard Sorin said he pinched 2-35's while he was like 13? (I could be wrong as I quote from memory).

I would love to see a two hand pinch amongst these monsters.

Does anyone remember when Chad Woodall went to Sorinex and had that mini contest with Rich and Tex? Chad was the only one who could pinch those wide 45's. Rich failed. Again, Rich failed! (Nowdays I have a hard time imagining Rich failing ANY lift... in my mind I can see that man lifting a tank... with his pinky finger). Pinch is cool and like Strongmantobe said, there is no handle, people can relate. And anyone without a pinching apparatus can set up 2'45s with a pipe through and do some pinching on their own, and they'll realize how incredibly hard it would be to lift those big weights way over 200#.

And last: Ideally .. another of the three thickbar events could be replaced by a crushing event. But once again people start whining about grippers being boring, etc. Maybe a grip machine should be used, where big weights can be moved... competitors might need to use both hands but I'm sure they'd crush a few hundred pounds and I bet that'd look exiting. But this is too much to ask. I'd be happy to just see the pinch and not 3 thick bar events.

Just a fan's input. Take me lightly please. :)

Crush strength will be used at the end of the medley for reps on the Go-Ready grip machine. From what is listed in the medley, I think you are going to see many doing reps on the grip machine. I think this is a great way to introduce crush strength into a comp., medley's always get people excited and crushing for reps on a machine will give a visual.

This is the second comp that is being promoted on the big stage. I think it is an advancement over the initial Mighty Mitts in March. The next Mighty Mitts will be better still. The organizers have to play to the crowd, we are entertainers on this big of a stage, and the crowds excitement pays the bills. I am happy we are out of the garage and moving the sport forward to the 'bigtime' we've all talked about. Yes there are going to be bumps and growing pains along the way. So far the organizers have been very open to listening to the competitors and our input. You will be seeing a pinch lift on a big stage soon.

Trust me, I explained the concerns of "the grip community" about Mighty Mitts, and gave similar input to Terry Todd back in January about Mighty Mitts.

The events for the Vice Grip Viking Challenge were evolving over time, and these events were a little different than what I thought they were going to be as of a few months ago.

Haugen worked very hard to bring this contest to the Fit Expo, and the money is exactly half of the total purse of the Strongman contest on the same weekend. Could you imagine if "Mighty Mitts" was half of the Arnold's Strongman contest? I also agree with Andrew that it is an advancement over Mighty Mitts.

In big venues, I can imagine that grip is a hard sell. I would like to extend a "Thank you" to Odd Haugen, if you could pass that along Mike. The format isn't what I would call an ideal grip event, but hell it gets us some time on the stage.

• 1 month later...

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Nov/2011_Visegrip_Viking_Mighty_Mitts_Challenge.html

New:

a 2” vertical grip bar with ~210 lb;

an Anvil (~175lb) by the horn;

a 172-lb. Thomas Inch Replica dumbbell;

the 228-lb. Millennium Dumbbell

The Viking Fishing Pole Wrist Roller Challenge: “The athletes (reverse order of overall standing) will attempt to hoist a giant fishing pole (actually a telephone pole) using an IronMind Wrist-Roller set-up. The athlete to raise the ‘fish out of water’ in the least amount of time wins. Unsuccessful ‘fishing’ will be rewarded in distance raised. No grip aids other than chalk allowed. 60 seconds time limit.”

It's true? New events?

Who have already registered for the tournament?

That vertical bar poundage seems obscenely low compared to the difficulty of the other lifts.

Agreed. Knocked out of the total order. 

That vertical bar poundage seems obscenely low compared to the difficulty of the other lifts.

Three things:

1. It is going higher than 2 inches, I think it is going onto a platform 8 inches high.

2. That would be plates in addition to the 25 lb FBBC 2 inch bar, and

3. It's still less than what I said I thought it should be...

Three things:

1. It is going higher than 2 inches, I think it is going onto a platform 8 inches high.

It's hard.

What other surprises?  :rolleyes

Three things:

Okay, I figured it would be lifted much higher and read that it would be put on a platform. But I think most of the guys that can lift the minimum 396lbs DO on the Axle should be able to rip 235lbs up on a 2" vbar and make it look like a high pull. Not being disrespectful, just curious how the weights got chosen. The Axle poundage is huge.

396 isint huge considering who I bet will be entering, but the vbar does seem low for that caliber of entrant. God I wish I could be there to compete, it would be so much fun to tough it out with everyone!

Parris

396 isint huge considering who I bet will be entering, but the vbar does seem low for that caliber of entrant. God I wish I could be there to compete, it would be so much fun to tough it out with everyone!

Parris

I only said that 396lbs was huge - compared to the 235lb vbar poundage. I can't DO deadlift 396lbs on the Axle, but I know many who could pull 235lbs on the 2" vbar to at least an 8" platform. I don't think that all the lift minimum poundages have to be out of normal range, but I was just commenting that they seem skewed a bit.