Major Grip Contest, $5,000 Purse

Hubgeezer

The contest is this weekend. I just wanted to wish my coach Andrew Durniat, the Best of luck.

Be strong Bro and get some!!! Tom

I second that, tear it up Andrew!!!:mosher

Thanks guys. Made it in last nite and we're picking Chad up from his flight at 10am. Getting ready to rock.

Wow, you guys are serious about resting and planning!

Last weekend, I was with a fellow who knew a number of the Buffalo Bills. He was attributing their 4 Super Bowl losses to the fact that they "partied" the night before. I find that hard to believe that professionals could be that dumb, so maybe it is not true.

Get your rest, and stay away from The Demon Alcohol.

Sounds like Paul's Friday Knight...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Kashtan

• bencrush

• andurniat

The contest is this weekend. I just wanted to wish my coach Andrew Durniat, the Best of luck.

Be strong Bro and get some!!! Tom

I second that, tear it up Andrew!!!:mosher

Thanks guys. Made it in last nite and we're picking Chad up from his flight at 10am. Getting ready to rock.

Wow, you guys are serious about resting and planning!

Last weekend, I was with a fellow who knew a number of the Buffalo Bills. He was attributing their 4 Super Bowl losses to the fact that they "partied" the night before. I find that hard to believe that professionals could be that dumb, so maybe it is not true.

Get your rest, and stay away from The Demon Alcohol.

Sounds like Paul's Friday Knight...

don't remind me ... :rolleyes That was stupid of me, but it sure was fun until the morning

I'm getting the scoop that Andrew won one of the first events? ... a 223lb dumbell lift? anyone here the same?

I tied Odd on the RT for 2nd (not sure of exact weight >250#). Smoked the medley for 1st place. I don't remember much but the millenium dumbbell wasn't very hard and then proceeded to do 50 reps on the Go-Ready grip machine. Forearms were smoked for the wrist roller and took a disappointing 4th on that.

Overall

Chad and Mark Felix are tied in 1st with 20 points

I'm in 3rd with 18.5 points

Odd Haugen in 4th with 17.5

It falls off the table after that.

Good events to come tomorrow

I tied Odd on the RT for 2nd (not sure of exact weight >250#). Smoked the medley for 1st place. I don't remember much but the millenium dumbbell wasn't very hard and then proceeded to do 50 reps on the Go-Ready grip machine. Forearms were smoked for the wrist roller and took a disappointing 4th on that.

Overall

Way to go Andrew & Chad!

what did Felix pull on the RT? .... this is a 2 day grip contest?!?!?!? ... how is this possible? ... there is no damn way I could do a grip contest 2 days in a row

Thick Bar events today. Good luck guys!! Give all.

Special shout out to my Coach and Trainer Andrew Durnait. Get some Big man.

Will there be a new world record in the Axel today? :mosher

Looking at the scores it looks like the contest is anyones to win.

I believe Mark Felix' winning lift in the rolling thunder was 260. Andrew was VERY impressive in the medley - he smoked everything: 45 lb hub, blob, 240 lb 2" vertical bar, inch dumbell, circus dumbbell, millenium dumbbell and grip machine. He was the only man to pick up that last dumbbell. I believe Chad won the fishing pole wrist roller event - that looked like torture - his hands were moving very fast, if that bar were made of wood, it would have caught fire! That must have really fried the wrist extensors!

Overall

Fine job. Thanks for posting!

I just heard from andrew that he got 2nd overall ... I didn't ask for any details

Edited by Paul Knight

Rolling Thunder. Weights were pre-determined. Everyone made the opening of 205, which was mandatory.

There were 8 sign-ups. Brian Shaw was not there, but paid for his admission, registered in advance, etc. Haugen seemed to think it was the Arnold Strongman preparation concern that was the reason for not pursuing it. Tex and Rich apparently were never 100% committed. The only 3 entrants of the 7 who began who were not in the strongman contest and the grip contest were Andrew, Chad, and Haugen. Jerry Pritchett and LP Jean both pulled 216, everyone else passed. The two of them failed on 227, and all the rest successfully pulled 227. On 238, Josh Thigpen failed, and the rest got it. On 249, Chad failed, with 3 remaining. At 260, Andrew and Odd missed, Felix got it, so that was it. Felix 260, Andrew and Odd tying for second with 249.

Medley. Josh Thigpen, out, leaving 6 competitors. Jerry Pritchett successfully got 3 of the 6 implements onto the platform. And yes Ladies and Gentlemen, the only place in the world where it is reported exactly what they did is here, as no one else tracked what was pulled and what was not. Yes, you read that correctly, the only place in the world. Pritchett got the 45 lb hub, the Inch, and the Circus Dumbbell. LP got 4 objects, the same as Pritchett, plus the 50 lb Blob. Felix, Haugen, and Chad all had 5 implements, what LP had, plus the Vertical Bar. The tie breaker was how many reps they had on the Go-Really Grip Machine, which meant the placings were Chad 2nd, Haugen 3rd, and Felix 4th. Durniat got all the implements, plus 50 reps. So Andrew was the only one who picked up the Mllnm Dumbbell.

Last event for Saturday was the Viking Fishing Pole. A wrist roller event to crank up a pole that was dragging giant fishing line "weights" on a metal cable with a fish at the end of it. I don't know, you may have had to crank the end of the pole up perhaps 9 feet up for the fish (the last implement) to get off the ground. At about 3 feet, the first object gets lifted off the ground, and then maybe every 18 inches after that. I think there were 5 weights, plus the fish. If you were successful, it was how fast you did it. Otherwise, it was a measure of "how many" of the notches that came off the floor. Pritchett had 1, Andrew had 4, Haugen had 5, and the other three all got it up all the way. LP Jean was 34.2 seconds, Felix 34.1 seconds (?, close), and Chad was 15.4 seconds.

Sunday opened with the Axle Deadlift. Jerry Pritchett pulled out after straining a forearm on the wrist roller; he didn't want to screw up his Strongman contest, so now there were only 5 remaining competitors. Opened with 396. My notes said "easy" for all 5. All but LP Jean passed on 420, which he got. At 440, LP went out, but the other 4 were successful. At 463, Chad went out, and the other 3 were good. Haugen and Andrew tied for second at 463. Felix won with 485.

Trap Bar hold for time. It was a trap bar with risers on it pulled from the floor. Not an easy thing for a "grip guy" with a weight of 705 lbs, which I heard made the handles 14 inches high from the floor. 5th was LP with 14.4 seconds, 4th at 28.7 seconds was Haugen, 3rd was Chad with 41.2 seconds, Andrew had 42.4 seconds, and Felix won with 49 seconds. Although Felix was very casual, and it looked easy, if it was 4 inches higher, I think Andrew and Chad would have beat him. That is not hyperbole, it is fact. Andrew, going up, almost didn't look like he was going to make it, then he recovered, and was amazing.

Last event Inch DB. How many reps in 120 seconds could be deadifted?

1. Andrew D, 17.

2. M Felix, 14.

3. O. Haugen, 13.

4. Chad Woodall, 4.

5. LP Jean, 0.

Overall:

1. Mark Felix, 43 points

2. Andrew Durniat, 40 points

3. Chad Woodall, 36 points

4. Odd Haugen, 35 points

5. LP Jean, 20.5 points

6. Jerry Pritchett, 8.5 points

7. Josh Thigpen, 4 points

How about that? I didn't offer my usual biased commentary. Except after everyone left, I tried the wrist roller. I got one object off the ground, darn close to 2 of them. That is the only event where I would not have come in last place.

Great write-up, Mike. Good description of Fishing Pole especially. Congrats to all!

Awesome contest! I gave it my best and felt strong. Many props to Mark and Andrew :mosher Also...a BIG thank you to Odd and Mike(Hubgeezer)and ALL the others for a VERY well ran contest.

Chad

Congrats to Mark, Andrew and Chad !! And great job by all competitors !!! :phone