What Is Strong?

Rick Walker

I'll add that if those guys can hit that list, then they're not just strong, but monsters. I know that the dips & pullups would stop most WSM guys cold. And nobody's going to say that those fellas aren't strong.

Laurence Shahlaei can and has done dips at 300+ and chins as well. I've not seen him do any recently and with 2 weeks or so to go before he leaves for WSM I'm not gonna ask him but it can be done by them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• The Natural

• AP

• climber511

10 pull-ups with 100 pounds added to your bodyweight? That's really too much to ask, specially when you consider the same person has to squat 500x20 ... lol. A guy with hips and legs to squat 500x20 is not gonna weight 150#, I'm pretty sure of that. For anyone over 250 pounds of bodyweight to strap 100# and do TEN pull-ups... that's pretty freakin' amazing and I'd love to see it! But I still think that guys who will squat 500x20 are gonna find 10 BW pull-ups hard, and with 100#, well.... I doubt there is any one man who can do the entire list.

As a sidenote, that Konstantinov fellow, ya'll know, the one with the world record DL numbers, has a video of him doing 55 kipping pull-ups, at a ridiculous BW like 285? Not sure. He also has one of him doing 15 kipping pull-ups with a very hard band, which he said added about 100# at the top? .. 15, but still kipped, and the resistance at the top. He's one of the stongest guys on earth for sure, but being so heavy, I bet even he can't do 10 reps with 100# added on the pull-ups, not if they're to be done strict and full ROM. But he's a beast for sure. He is showing all you heavier guys that pull-ups can and should still be done, even if you're close to 300# BW :tongue :tongue :tongue Sorry I just love pull-ups. :upsidedwn

10 pull-ups with 100 pounds added to your bodyweight? That's really too much to ask, specially when you consider the same person has to squat 500x20 ... lol. A guy with hips and legs to squat 500x20 is not gonna weight 150#, I'm pretty sure of that. For anyone over 250 pounds of bodyweight to strap 100# and do TEN pull-ups... that's pretty freakin' amazing and I'd love to see it! But I still think that guys who will squat 500x20 are gonna find 10 BW pull-ups hard, and with 100#, well.... I doubt there is any one man who can do the entire list.

As a sidenote, that Konstantinov fellow, ya'll know, the one with the world record DL numbers, has a video of him doing 55 kipping pull-ups, at a ridiculous BW like 285? Not sure. He also has one of him doing 15 kipping pull-ups with a very hard band, which he said added about 100# at the top? .. 15, but still kipped, and the resistance at the top. He's one of the stongest guys on earth for sure, but being so heavy, I bet even he can't do 10 reps with 100# added on the pull-ups, not if they're to be done strict and full ROM. But he's a beast for sure. He is showing all you heavier guys that pull-ups can and should still be done, even if you're close to 300# BW :tongue :tongue :tongue Sorry I just love pull-ups. :upsidedwn

I've read that he does kipping pull ups because they are explosive and that he does them until he starts to slow down, plus that they help him with the deadlift.

I'll add that if those guys can hit that list, then they're not just strong, but monsters. I know that the dips & pullups would stop most WSM guys cold. And nobody's going to say that those fellas aren't strong.

Laurence Shahlaei can and has done dips at 300+ and chins as well. I've not seen him do any recently and with 2 weeks or so to go before he leaves for WSM I'm not gonna ask him but it can be done by them.

Is that a full dip til the shoulders were below the elbows? That's awesome if so! And the pullups a real pullup or a leg kick type. Not that I could do that with someone pullung me up.

This guy was only 5'5" and around 130#s. One of the strongest guys in the history of the US.

audie_murphy_2.jpg

To hell and back.

Here's the articles in question, it may give you all an idea of why the numbers chosen were put in there:

Part I

Part II

The links do not work, however, I have read the articles to which you are referring. The arguments are not very plausible. One of them is more or less "Because it [the numbers] sounds good", and the other one--in response to the claim that the standards are too high--is "Well, we're talking about real deal strength aren't we?" And the reply is Yes, we are talking about real strength, but to suggest that 500x10 on DL is not "serious" or "real deal" strength is ludicrous, given that most competitive strength guys can't do it. That he uses Kaz as an example of what the human body is capable of is not exactly a good argument either. Kaz is one of those guys who can safely be excluded from the data set. I don't have anything against Wendler or Paul Carter, but I'd have a lot more respect for their list if they changed the title to something like "What is Superhuman Strength?" vs. merely "What is strong?"

Here's the articles in question, it may give you all an idea of why the numbers chosen were put in there:

Part I

Part II

The links do not work, however, I have read the articles to which you are referring. The arguments are not very plausible. One of them is more or less "Because it [the numbers] sounds good", and the other one--in response to the claim that the standards are too high--is "Well, we're talking about real deal strength aren't we?" And the reply is Yes, we are talking about real strength, but to suggest that 500x10 on DL is not "serious" or "real deal" strength is ludicrous, given that most competitive strength guys can't do it. That he uses Kaz as an example of what the human body is capable of is not exactly a good argument either. Kaz is one of those guys who can safely be excluded from the data set. I don't have anything against Wendler or Paul Carter, but I'd have a lot more respect for their list if they changed the title to something like "What is Superhuman Strength?" vs. merely "What is strong?"

I get what you are saying. I just took the numbers to be purely hypothetical in that anybody that could come close to approaching them would be among the most elite out there. The rest of us are competing for second place at best. That's not to say that if you can't hit those numbers you're not strong, just that someone may be stronger.

Something I have talked with friends about along this line is where you workout and who you hang out with determines your personal perception of what is strong. Just as an example – almost everyone I lift with or run around with can close a COC #3 so I guess in my mind that is kind of “normal” – it’s strong but NBD (no big deal) strong to me. If your gym is Westside Barbell, and you squat 800 and everyone there squats 800 or so - then you might think an 800# squat is “normal” – and you would be correct – for you. If you are Usain Bolt then you think a sub 10 second 100 meters is “normal” etc etc. But this assumes that either you and/or your friends can do it or at least there is a small group of people “somewhere” that can do it – in this case – can anyone do it? So while the original list would certainly be an example of STRONG – it really is an imaginary strength test at this point in time. As for Rick’s list – it’s much more reasonable but until I hear of some ONE at least doing it – it’s still imaginary for me. For me anyway – strong has to have been done at least once – it’s like saying a million pound curl is strong – well yeah – but so what.

As for Rick’s list – it’s much more reasonable but until I hear of some ONE at least doing it – it’s still imaginary for me.

I didnt think my list was outlandish at all... :erm

For the record, when I pulled 700 I thought I was strong...till I was winded going up a flight of steps. Now that I can smoke 20 hill sprints but only pull 600 and some change, I think I am getting closer to being Strong. :rock

As for Rick’s list – it’s much more reasonable but until I hear of some ONE at least doing it – it’s still imaginary for me.

I didnt think my list was outlandish at all... :erm

For the record, when I pulled 700 I thought I was strong...till I was winded going up a flight of steps. Now that I can smoke 20 hill sprints but only pull 600 and some change, I think I am getting closer to being Strong. :rock

I was looking forward to seeing you again at Jedd's buddy - sorry you couldn't make it down.

• 3 weeks later...

"I am strongest when things are hardest, but for me, everything seems easy..."

When I think of strong, this is the quote that shines brightest in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...