Deadlift Race 650

tselegala

nice pull ''hack''!! Things were bad for me today...I missed at two attempts at 565. I feared the weight. I should have been able to do it...

I latter did some shrugs and i had trouble lifting 495 of the rack...this astonished me! I knew right then i was tired and not phisically apt to this stuff today. i need rest.

I tried DO lifts and that was pathetic as well...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tselegala

• The Hack

• The Natural

• bcpower66

Welcome! You have a huge head start but that doesn't matter to me. There are no medals to be won we are here to motivate each other right? At that level you must have you're technique down pretty well. Could you give me hand with mine? This is a link to a recent lift..

http://www.youtube.com/user/goodtimes616#p/a/u/0/EmZP6JONl10

thanks

Finally saw the vid, that is a good looking DL.

Brent C.

Welcome! You have a huge head start but that doesn't matter to me. There are no medals to be won we are here to motivate each other right? At that level you must have you're technique down pretty well. Could you give me hand with mine? This is a link to a recent lift..

http://www.youtube.com/user/goodtimes616#p/a/u/0/EmZP6JONl10

thanks

Finally saw the vid, that is a good looking DL.

Brent C.

Thanks Brent! I appreciate it!

nice pull ''hack''!! Things were bad for me today...I missed at two attempts at 565. I feared the weight. I should have been able to do it...

I latter did some shrugs and i had trouble lifting 495 of the rack...this astonished me! I knew right then i was tired and not phisically apt to this stuff today. i need rest.

I tried DO lifts and that was pathetic as well...

Thanks.

Maybe it was not good day for lifting,you must not be discouraged, it hapens.Must be careful also with lifting above 90%,it is not muscles but nerves are slow to recover. I lift very rarely above 90%,mostly when going for pb, but i am constantly somewhere near.Deadlift training should be compouned from heavy lifting but in same time nerves should be spared for time when you are very determined.And I assumed that you will fail after 550, when you said about trying more next week.Probably you would lift,if you did 520 and then 560 next training...

It happened to me and i saw to others also, after failing to lift some big weight in deadlift, it is hard to comeback and try with sets of 80%...so i always when I am going to lift very heavy, in case that i don`t want to waste day, have plan B which consists of high rep dl training with lighter weight, which is also necessary to do from time to time.

This with shrugs looks strange to someone,but Louie Simmons said that researche(russian i think) showed that CNS is most burdened in exercises like deadlift,in which you are holding big weight in hands, and that why they do deadlift only with weights of about 60% for speed.Heavy dl day to them is compouned with good mornings and some squat/good morning variants.

Thanks for the comment! I have had a few weak days in the past...perhaps lack of sleep or nutrition or oververreaching or girlfriend :unsure. This time my problem i think is that i cheated my westside program and did deadlifts on saturday for the DO deadlift race. this is after doing speed squats on friday. No wonder... :blush I sometimes let passion get stronger than reason.

Yeah!! i pulled 565 today! I am surprised by how fast i pulled it up considering that i could barely lift it 1'' off the ground last week. I had a completely different mindset today, i really saw the weight like it was nothing, even though i never pulled as much. I just love the feeling of setting a new PR, i had a huge smile. I felt strong so i also did several reps of heavy good mornings.

Excellent! Good psychological barrier to bust. Very close to 600 and a big gain over 550. Another thing Louis Simmons said is that the DL is an "emotional" lift. In order to make a max lift, you have to be completely into it mentally. From you post above, it sounds like you were. On to 600! But I like Hack's approach of not maxing too often. Do some near max work, concentrate on speed and form, don't burn yourself out with max lifts. I get caught up in that and end up going backwards.

Brent C.

Excellent! Good psychological barrier to bust. Very close to 600 and a big gain over 550. Another thing Louis Simmons said is that the DL is an "emotional" lift. In order to make a max lift, you have to be completely into it mentally. From you post above, it sounds like you were. On to 600! But I like Hack's approach of not maxing too often. Do some near max work, concentrate on speed and form, don't burn yourself out with max lifts. I get caught up in that and end up going backwards.

Brent C.

Yeah I guess you are right, but how often is too often? It’s a question that I have been exploring quite a bit on myself. How do you usually find a wall in the dark? And is it that bad if you hit it?

Edited by alexis

I didn`t see that coming, congrats.

update

Thursday 28.Jan 460+140lbs chains(much slower than last time)

Monday 1.Feb 505+95lbs chains (hard time with lockout but i did it)...i couldn`t concentrate at all this time.

I wanted to go 550+50 next time and then rest and try 600 but that need to wait, i will build again.

edit

it seams that this training with chains is taxing alot but logicaly it should work so i will give it a more time.

Edited by The Hack

I didn`t see that coming, congrats.

update

Thursday 28.Jan 460+140lbs chains(much slower than last time)

Monday 1.Feb 505+95lbs chains (hard time with lockout but i did it)...i couldn`t concentrate at all this time.

I wanted to go 550+50 next time and then rest and try 600 but that need to wait, i will build again.

edit

it seams that this training with chains is taxing alot but logicaly it should work so i will give it a more time.

Man that sounds like a great training! I wish i had chains!

Not that bad today. I feel pretty good with my training today even though i missed with 585. I took it off the ground like i did with 565 two weeks ago but no more. I later found out the bar i was using was actually a thicker bar that apparently weighed 55 lbs (doh!). I measured it and it's about 1/2 more around. So i was actually attempting 595. Bah! i PR'd on the good mornings with 375 x 5 and a DO rack pull with 465 on that thick bar.

Edited by alexis

Not that bad today. I feel pretty good with my training today even though i missed with 585. I took it off the ground like i did with 565 two weeks ago but no more. I later found out the bar i was using was actually a thicker bar that apparently weighed 55 lbs (doh!). I measured it and it's about 1/2 more around. So i was actually attempting 595. Bah! i PR'd on the good mornings with 375 x 5 and a DO rack pull with 465 on that thick bar.

Correction: I had doubts about what i was told about that bar so i looked it up, it's a hampton international 32mm (vs 28mm) diameter but it does NOT weigh 55lbs it weighs 44.1 lbs like it should.

Guest Bullitt

Correction: I had doubts about what i was told about that bar so i looked it up, it's a hampton international 32mm (vs 28mm) diameter but it does NOT weigh 55lbs it weighs 44.1 lbs like it should.

Still a thicker bar, which makes the lift more difficult for two reasons: Grip and the fact that the barbell's center of gravity is slightly further out from your center of gravity. And a 465 DO rack pull on a slightly thicker than normal bar is HUGE!

Still a thicker bar, which makes the lift more difficult for two reasons: Grip and the fact that the barbell's center of gravity is slightly further out from your center of gravity. And a 465 DO rack pull on a slightly thicker than normal bar is HUGE!

thanks mike but i added the 10 lbs to both the GM's and the pull so it's 455...ok i guess but still a long way off from you're 515 you grip monster you! :laugh

I'm starting to feel some weirdness in the hip joint... i decided to go light today with 405 x 10 x 8 x 5 and some stiff leg deadlifting. Next week i will go for 570 or 575. Better to be humble than broken.

Good luck with that, i can`t see myself yet going for pr ,hopefully in 3rd-4th week from now on i will try 600 maybe???

Yesterday with modified technique 500x2.

Lately i have lot of problems with lower back so i am forced to look more on deadlift technique.

• 1 month later...

Any updates?

Any updates?

Yeah this thread has been sleeping for awhile...

I took some time off max deadlifts to bring my squats up. I hit a wall at 585 (miss after miss). My squats were way way lower than my deadlifts so i was going to remedy that. My squats were climbing pretty fast just like my deadlifts did in the beginning so was going ride that wave for a bit and come back here sometime this summer and hopefully bigger squats would have helped my deads enough to break the 600 barrier.

But now my GF is getting pissed at me for becoming too big. She says it's unattractive and my clothes selection is becoming more and more K-mart-ish cuz i need XXXL. What the heck do i do now?? I know it's sounds dumb but it's important to her so i need to find a compromise somehow...I need to figure something out.

Same here, i decided to concentrate at squats after i reed this from mr Broz

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121212081

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122395951

His principles actually work great for me,at first i was crushed with volume and felt like zombi, but after some time everything changed and i feel great now.I break my personal best at that fatigued state,

only what worries me that last days my left knee is giving some bad signals. :blush

I'm not doing deadlifts at all right now but somewhere in june i'm planing to start again.

Like Alexis i hope that increased squat will help in deadlift.

Still for this year one of major goals is 300kg deadlift with bw under 100kg.

Same here, i decided to concentrate at squats after i reed this from mr Broz

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121212081

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122395951

His principles actually work great for me,at first i was crushed with volume and felt like zombi, but after some time everything changed and i feel great now.I break my personal best at that fatigued state,

only what worries me that last days my left knee is giving some bad signals. :blush

I'm not doing deadlifts at all right now but somewhere in june i'm planing to start again.

Like Alexis i hope that increased squat will help in deadlift.

Still for this year one of major goals is 300kg deadlift with bw under 100kg.

If that is the direction you are taking I would suggest having one day in the week devoted to upper back training, bodybuilding style. Lat pulldowns, Smith machine rows, etc.

Guest Bullitt

I'm nowhere near you guys in weight on the DL. But my max pull had stalled out at 445. I got a couple pointers from Rick Walker on form, but like Alexis and Hack I also turned to squats. Rex had suggested that squats might help my pulls and Sam Solomi was having good luck with the Broz type squat sessions, so I started squatting 3-4 times per week. Pretty much stopped pulling for 3 weeks. A funny thing happened, not only did my squat numbers go way up, but my other lifts went up big time. Especially my pulls. When I came back I pulled 455 easy. From there I waited another 10 days or so and pulled 470 for 4 singles (Not sure what my max is, because that's all the weight I have). I just took a week off of the squats to give my CNS a rest and got back into them yesterday.

Before I hit the sticking point at 445, I was making progress just maxing every 5-6 days. Even then though, it wasn't nearly as big an improvement as this. I plan on taping my wife's 8 lb dumbells on the bar and go for 486 sometime this week. I'm not sure how much more my bar can take. It's a cheap, Chinese made bar that is rated for 310lbs. My next purchase is going to be a Jesup Power bar. It's slightly thicker than a standard bar, but at least it will have some decent knurling. The one I have is a joke. Good luck to everyone.

I'll start with that Rex,thnx on tip. Right now with squats i do only some grip/wrist exercises,i'm not so much into it but i don't want to lose gains i get there.I just don't have much time after squats which take about 3hours every day.

Bullitt make sure you buy bar so your old plates fits in it.

My best deadlift was at time my squat was at his best. So there is conection in my case also. But i can't see myself deadlifting PB without training deadlift.

Broz promises easy gaines on all exercises after you increase squat and you return after months on training them. I will hold him for that.

I'll start with that Rex,thnx on tip. Right now with squats i do only some grip/wrist exercises,i'm not so much into it but i don't want to lose gains i get there.I just don't have much time after squats which take about 3hours every day.

Bullitt make sure you buy bar so your old plates fits in it.

My best deadlift was at time my squat was at his best. So there is conection in my case also. But i can't see myself deadlifting PB without training deadlift.

Broz promises easy gaines on all exercises after you increase squat and you return after months on training them. I will hold him for that.

The squatting will increase your DL but dropping DL's entirely requires some sort of lat/trap supplementary work, in my opinion. I like pulldowns and rows, specifically strict Smith machine rows as they don't tax an already well-worked lower back. I also like seated cable rows.

The relationship between the squat and DL is sometimes not as obvious as it seems. When someone says that the squat will increase your deadlift, you may return to find that your deadlift numbers are a little lower than they were. The lifter should not panic, but instead give it time. Soon your DL will soar past your old PR. To really feel what I'm talking about, I'd work at the squat until I added about 30-40 pounds to my max, then return to the DL. I'd also recommend keeping your belt off as long as you can when you squat, so that your lower back is getting some stimulation. That way when you return to the DL your back won't be in for such a shock.

Edited by The Natural

i think i figured out a short term workout plan that would give me what i want. A full body workout 3 days a week focusing on:

day 1 : squats, 5 rep max

day 2 : off

day 3 : Good mornings and bench press 10 reps for sets.

day 4 : off

Day 5 : deadlifts 10 rep sets focusing on technique and explosiveness, some light cardio

day 6 : off

day 7 : off

I usually burn alot of fat during bodybuilding routines without even doing any cardio. Hopefully this will get rid off alot off excess size AND make me stronger.

When I've added sufficient poundage to the squats, I'll do 5 rep deads on Mondays and transfer the squats to day 5.

Edited by alexis

I have no access to machines, so alternative would be bb rows or db rows(whatever is easier on lower back),pullups and shrugs.

Lower back are taxed but not as much i expect they will be. "Keep your position and fight not to lose it" what is Broz advice is all i am thinking before squat,otherwise (as is oly deep,narrow atance beltless) it end up at big weights like combination of squat and good morning and if that happens it tired lower back enormously if strain don't happen.

I decided that i will not lift anymore with belt as i had in past problems with hernia and that part must have no weekneses if i don't want those channels to widen even more.

Your experience is much what Broz is saying. I like that strategy of gaining 10-20kg in squat and then start hard at deadlift. I think i will do that in future.

Alexis that looks ok, full body strength training of 2-3h is likely to burn lot of fat.