Farmer's Holds

The Natural

They're 82 pounds each according to the manufacturer.

-Rex

Hmm, maybe I'd better just pencil you in, Eric...

They're 82 pounds each according to the manufacturer.

-Rex

Hmm, maybe I'd better just pencil you in, Eric...

Can I stand in the corner and watch???

-Rex

You never know where a post will go when Rex starts tapping the keys. :upsidedwn

But I'm getting out my best grip duds for this date.

You never know where a post will go when Rex starts tapping the keys. :upsidedwn

Rex is...well, you know...Rex. ;)

Haha! Plenty of time to get ready too - say, next spring?

My deadlift is crap and I can FW with the best of them. A strong pull helps, but its grip that fail most people. I'd give more specifics to prove the point but I'm still too embarrased with my own numbers (on the DL).

What kind of weights are people handling for PICKS on 2" handles?

Hey Matt, I just started working on this one. I'm guessing you are over 400's. I saw your video on facebook and sent a friend request but didn't here from you. Anyway my goal is too do 300's for some time and maybe eventually walk them. I only weigh around 230. I just injured a calf muscle pretty bad at a contest two weeks ago flipping a tire...(it bruised and swelled down both sides of my ankle and into the foot)....that's why I decided that picks and holds would be good for a while until it fully heels. My handles are 15.75" from the bottom to the floor. I did the 300's today twice but definately was not in shape for it yet. The lower leg and back held up good but something under my left collar bone popped and is very sore so I might be out of this lift for a while too.

Next spring, or Saturday. :D

Next spring, or Saturday. :D

Ha! Yeah.

Oh, my. Rex really will be in the corner... :laugh

Edited by xengym

Thorton- 300/hand for 32 seconds, 350 for 9

Me- 300/hand for 9 seconds, 350 for 1

My only excuse was that I worked more levering than Dave.

1" handle, and we picked them from about 24".

Thanks Eric. I agree with you about this being a good event- It will be at my MGC. Since we hold the contests around the same time, we could have a little north-sout rivalry!

I have no excuses, I am just weak. I don't deadlift, and this just reaffirms my belief that I need to at least do partials if I want any claim to decent grip strength. Thorton wants to go wild at the MGC- Hold for time, start with 400/hand, with 50/hand jumps down. Weight beats time, you fail the pick and you can try the next weight down. We've got everything set up so the pick is at 24" and stable (you can get your feet underneath the implements), might even get more boards in case taller guys want to pick it a little higher.

This whole thread makes me wonder- I've often seen that the grip studs, at least in our world, have at least a 500 deadlift. Seeing how Rex does, and how Ryan Klein did, gives a little perspective. Guys like Tommy Helsep are held back by body strength. Rex and Ryan deadlifting 700-800 aren't really killing Thorton and Jedd in any of the supporting events.

Also, I think if you go the pure grip route, heavy partials will give you the same benefit. It is just about having a heavy bar in your hand for a decent part of your life. Chins, rows, cleans, deads- You need decent strength in one of the above to manage well at most grip comps. You hold 600+ in your hands, or pull 300+ in chins, rows, whatever, you can handle the typical grip limit weights enough to not have your body give out.

Also, I think if you go the pure grip route, heavy partials will give you the same benefit. It is just about having a heavy bar in your hand for a decent part of your life. Chins, rows, cleans, deads- You need decent strength in one of the above to manage well at most grip comps. You hold 600+ in your hands, or pull 300+ in chins, rows, whatever, you can handle the typical grip limit weights enough to not have your body give out.

Good post, this makes sense. This is probably why 150lbs on the 2HP feels SO heavy to me. It's the most weight I lift on any lift. Ever. If I was used to doing deads, or even partials, with 300lbs I would probably have a different perspective for 150lbs.

I've walked 300 per hand in a contest for 100 feet with no danger of dropping. Maybe 14 seconds. At the time my best deadlift was around 450. The hardest part for me is the pick. The heaviest I picked up was 325 per hand and walked it for about 50 feet. Farmers was my best event when I trained strongman. Flash forward 3 years to the last MGC and I struggled to pick up 355 on a trap bar and only held it for 1 second. It had been around 3 years since I had deadlifted or done farmers.

forgot that the trap bar lift at MGC was not done on the handles, it was holding the plates by the rims, but it was still my back that couldnt handle it.

Thanks Eric. I agree with you about this being a good event- It will be at my MGC. Since we hold the contests around the same time, we could have a little north-sout rivalry!

I have no excuses, I am just weak. I don't deadlift, and this just reaffirms my belief that I need to at least do partials if I want any claim to decent grip strength. Thorton wants to go wild at the MGC- Hold for time, start with 400/hand, with 50/hand jumps down. Weight beats time, you fail the pick and you can try the next weight down. We've got everything set up so the pick is at 24" and stable (you can get your feet underneath the implements), might even get more boards in case taller guys want to pick it a little higher.

This whole thread makes me wonder- I've often seen that the grip studs, at least in our world, have at least a 500 deadlift. Seeing how Rex does, and how Ryan Klein did, gives a little perspective. Guys like Tommy Helsep are held back by body strength. Rex and Ryan deadlifting 700-800 aren't really killing Thorton and Jedd in any of the supporting events.

All are very good points, Bob.

And a little friendly north-south rivalry does sound fun. It might be tricky to compare, though, as we will probably do something like a 250 per hand hold for time just to accommodate the guys with average core strength.

Thorton wants to go wild at the MGC- Hold for time, start with 400/hand, with 50/hand jumps down. Weight beats time, you fail the pick and you can try the next weight down. We've got everything set up so the pick is at 24" and stable (you can get your feet underneath the implements), might even get more boards in case taller guys want to pick it a little higher.

Now that's thinkin' with yer dripstick, JIMMAY!

However, if we are pulling from 24" we should start at like 450 or more.

You know Matt, we could just offer any weight off the bat. 600/hand? If someone wants to try 500/hand, I can't see how that would be a problem. If they lift it, more power to them. We can fit 5-600 on each handle.

• 1 month later...

I can deadlift 550 but when I lockout it takes seconds before its on its way down again