Farmer's Holds

The Natural

Eric and I played with farmer's holds tonight. At a bodyweight of 185, Eric held 275 per hand for 58 seconds. Very impressive.

I held 310 in each hand for 30 seconds. Not all that great.

I'd be interested to see how others do. If you want to contribute, just test yourself out with these weights, 310 if you're a heavyweight and 275 if you're a lightweight (under 110KG). Also, list your best deadlift so we can see if having a big pull is necessary for doing well on this.

-Rex

Here is a video of me holding 170kg in each hand for just over 20 seconds,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLXbq-SyPc

Ive walked with these same handles at their original weight ( 130kgs each) for exactly one minute when i was training for a local comp.

Funny enough my support grip on farmers walk handles and rope pulling ( truck pull) is rather strong, HOWEVER my thick handle strength and rolling thunder are pathetic. Weird...

I doubt I can even pull 70kgs on a RT... prob because i never do it and dislike it lol

310 an arm farmers, top 5 at 2003 BFGS:

1. Dan Cenidoza: 43.06 secs.

2. Rick Walker: 38.58

3. Steve McGranahan: 37.40

4. Rob W. Vigeant: 37.36

5. Jonathan McMillan: 32.94

This was the last of 5 events and 8+ hours of competing. Events prior to deadlift and hold were grippers, 2-hand pinch, thick bar, and nail bending.

No one except me had ever touched these farmers bars, and no one had trained this event much at all. They were made by PDA, very sharp knurling. They were either deadlifted off the ground, or off of cement blocks depending on what the lifter wanted.

I just started working on this again. It will be the weekend before I know. It would be nice to keep this thread going a while. What is the pick height and handle size?

I supose any one doing this can dead lift 620lbs correct? If not how could u pick it up?

Rico

I supose any one doing this can dead lift 620lbs correct? If not how could u pick it up?

Rico

More like pulling 620 on a trap bar. Much easier than conventional, but still a huge lift for most of us mortals. A lot of times they will put them up on blocks, so it is a partial you are just locking out.

What handle size is everyone using - I have 1.25 and 1.9" double handles on my farmers bars?

Pretty sure mine was done on 1.25" handles, but I can't say for sure. I'll try to touch base with the promoter and see what he says.

The pick up is the hardest part.....not sure I can pick up 310's at this point. Did 275's on think handles but no real time last week. Had a goal of picking up 300's in next couple weeks. I'm only like a 400 deadlifter.....have real trouble when the weight is in front on any event. I'm a lightweight so i guess 275's is what I'll try, but my main goal is to get the 300's on thick handles off the ground and eventually walk them.

We did 265's at a contest several years ago I go 36 seconds.

Mine are 1.25" exactly. Jonathan gave me some tips on how to improve my time, so I'm shooting for 40 seconds next week.

-Rex

I can hold farmers longer walking than I can just standing. Anyone else notice this.

An interesting tidbit, 2000 NE WI strongman, we did farmers in the rain, I picked up 300lb implements so many times the crowd started chanting the count. I think I picked up 10 or 11 times to get 76 feet.

John - you are probably one of the few on here who have done both events enough times to know. How different are the HH and the FW as far as necessary overall body strength and grip strength required to do each? Of course your deadlift and associated support strength are well developed from years of farmers but what do you think?

I'm really glad Rex offered to bring over these implements. I know it requires a decent amount of overall body strength to hang with the farmer's holds, but I will definitely be contesting this one at this year's Show of Hands. It's nice to have at least one event in a grip meet that requires such a high degree of grit and heart. It also greatly diminishes the effects of hand size advantage.

If I used a trap bar loaded to 550 (since im a lightweight) how would that compare actually using 2 separate farmers walk handles with 275 a piece?? My guess is that it would have to be pretty close if I was just doin holds.

My deadlift is crap and I can FW with the best of them. A strong pull helps, but its grip that fail most people. I'd give more specifics to prove the point but I'm still too embarrased with my own numbers (on the DL).

What kind of weights are people handling for PICKS on 2" handles?

Rico

I wish, but not even close. My normal dead lift sucks. Like 450 is my best ever. The farmers are off to the side and most are close to 18" or so. That makes the pick a ton easier.

I'm curious to see what Brouse can do

Missed your post first time through. Appreciate the vote of confidence. I haven't done holds in a while but gonna try to give them a run next week. Today I did something on the farmers that I don't think any other GB regular can do. Still researching, though. It'll make for a great challenge for a lot of guys.

I'm really glad Rex offered to bring over these implements. I know it requires a decent amount of overall body strength to hang with the farmer's holds, but I will definitely be contesting this one at this year's Show of Hands. It's nice to have at least one event in a grip meet that requires such a high degree of grit and heart. It also greatly diminishes the effects of hand size advantage.

Btw, what's the weight of the implements unloaded?

I think it was between 60 and 65 each. I know Rex knows.

Just checking... :whistel

John - you are probably one of the few on here who have done both events enough times to know. How different are the HH and the FW as far as necessary overall body strength and grip strength required to do each? Of course your deadlift and associated support strength are well developed from years of farmers but what do you think?

Chris-

The Herc hold just requires a grip. No real body strength. But, if you have a good grip, generally you have some measure of overall body strength. Farmer's requires a good bit of body strength for the pickup, less than a full dead, but still some pretty good strength, and once you get moving with a fairly heavy Farmer's you better have a solid core, or you'll be all over the place after about 2 steps. Also, the longer you hold or walk, without the strong core, your body compresses & you soon lose the ability to breathe freely. The shoulders slump, the chest compresses down into the abdomen & you can't expand the chest. Then you run out of air. My farmer's strength really stems from my deadlift training. I never liked Farmer's too much, especially once we got over 330 regularly, so I didn't train it as much as other events. I'm pretty bowlegged & the heavy farmer's & heavy yokes made my feet, ankles & knees ache. When I do farmer's regularly my herc hold goes through the roof, though. That's why I did so much better at last year's BBB over the year before. I did farmers twice a week for the 3 weeks up to the comp.

Just checking... :whistel

I see. Well, it's a date! ;)