• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• bencrush

• Hubgeezer

• Magnus

Medley. Big difference between being able to do a feat by itself, compared to when it is in a Medley and your hands are tired. Things I presumed I had nailed before I began but missed them in the Medley: Rolling Thunder, one inch Vbar, heavy dumbbell lift, two hand pinch on 35s. Missed all of those, plus few others: scale weight lift, lever supination lift. I don't think I had missed anything under 190 in Rolling Thunder in years, until Saturday. Bummer.

I made a mistake of fact on this. I did not even try either of the lever lifts in the Medley. After it was over, I easily did the supination, and did the scale lift several times. Without chalk, the scale lift was very easy for me. During the medley, my fingers were slipping on it, and I ended the Medley desperately repeatedly trying to lift the sucker that kept slipping out of my fingers.

There was one item in the medley that I referred to as "Mr. Spongy". I think either Andrew or Jedd got it, and that was it. It was a 50 pound dumbbell attached via rubber cables to a narrow pinch block. You pick up the block and the thing just stretches and doesn't seem to move the dumbbell off the ground. You also practically kill yourself if the block slips out of your hand as a giant "TWANG with the block snapping back at you. :cool The picking up the Anvil with a towel wrapped around it was good for a chuckle every time someone would try it. Again, either Jedd or Andrew got that one I believe. Neither of which would be super feats of strength, but truly feats of a Magician! :D

There was one item in the medley that I referred to as "Mr. Spongy". I think either Andrew or Jedd got it, and that was it. It was a 50 pound dumbbell attached via rubber cables to a narrow pinch block. You pick up the block and the thing just stretches and doesn't seem to move the dumbbell off the ground. You also practically kill yourself if the block slips out of your hand as a giant "TWANG with the block snapping back at you. :cool

Jedd's writeup: "a narrow pinch block attached to a 50-lb globe dumbbell by a purple Jump Stretch band". At another point he referred to it as the "impossible pinch block", and another as the "Rubber Band Block". He said that it would "slip out of their hands and rocket to the floor". All of these are better descriptions than mine. Jedd was the only one to pick it off the floor and set it onto the bench.

Jedd, congratulations on kicking the ass of Mr. Spongy :rock

Very nice writeup, description and results Jedd. Factual, concise, easy read.

Mike

I had a talk with my wife about attending the next one. I keep saying this, but I need to go. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

I had a talk with my wife about attending the next one. I keep saying this, but I need to go. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

When you find out what woks, please tell me.

Rico

Great writeups. Thanks! Looking forward to Frank's (whenever it gets here...). :whistel;)

Here is my comp write up on my website.

DurniatStrength.com

It was great meeting everyone. As always a HUGE thank you to Jedd and the family for opening up there house for everyone.

Good write-up Andrew!

Which competitors successfully pulled the Thomas Inch Dumbbell for a point in the Medley?

I think Jedd and I in the comp. Eaton and many others played with it after.

Which competitors successfully pulled the Thomas Inch Dumbbell for a point in the Medley?

It seemed like more than two did it. It could have been my mind playing tricks on me.

It seemed like more than two did it. It could have been my mind playing tricks on me.

Didn't Dave get it?

Didn't Dave get it?

If you told me Dave, Brent, and Eaton got it I would believe you, but I just don't remember. I think I was still sulking about not getting the Rolling Thunder. I honestly thought it was "3 or 4" guys.

Jedd of course has the paperwork with the details on it.

Do you know the weight of the loading pin so you can have actual weights on the Weaver lift?

I know that that is coming. for the comp we were told to figure 1/2 of a pound. I'm sure jedd will get the exact figure in time.

I'll get it weighed.

Does the implement need to be weighed too?

I'll get it weighed.

Does the implement need to be weighed too?

No it does not.

Just got back home about a hour ago been running all all day since 4:00am NY time got home

AT 5:00 pm paciific time . Had a great time out there at Jedds place he really put on a great contest.

It was good seeing Chris ,John E., David , Jedd and Zach again it's been awhile . for the most part I

got what I came for at this contest and that was the 136.5 gripper close with an mm set . At my contest

I had just missed getting the close on my IM 2.5 at 131 lbs. . All in all I still need some work but I feel

I'm going in the right dierection. . It was good to see Mike C. make to the contest after all . He wasn't to sure

when I first talked to him about going.. I'm going to go lay down and pass out now

Take care Robert

Just got back home about a hour ago been running all all day since 4:00am NY time got home

AT 5:00 pm paciific time . Had a great time out there at Jedds place he really put on a great contest.

It was good seeing Chris ,John E., David , Jedd and Zach again it's been awhile . for the most part I

got what I came for at this contest and that was the 136.5 gripper close with an mm set . At my contest

I had just missed getting the close on my IM 2.5 at 131 lbs. . All in all I still need some work but I feel

I'm going in the right dierection. . It was good to see Mike C. make to the contest after all . He wasn't to sure

when I first talked to him about going.. I'm going to go lay down and pass out now

Take care Robert

Robert, did you drive from California to Pennsylvania?

-Rex

Andrew - Axle KING. Holy cow. Andy is unbelievably strong at everything. Only weak point is 2hp, which could probably be more accurately called a proportional weakness compared to his other numbers. Watching him and Jedd go through the medley was like the clash of the titans. Really smart guy, too.

Jedd - Jedd kicks butt. What else is new. Owned the US pinch record (in case you haven't heard), barely missed the WR, and was the only guy to get "Mr. Spongy" (which the rest of us had deemed impossible) in the medley.

Dave - Dave is "quiet-strong". Not the guy you expect to be as strong at everything as he his. Really, Dave has no weak areas. The fact that he managed to place top-3 or better in every event says it all.

John - Sits through the competition with about as much intensity as if he's on a recliner watching the Andy Griffith show, yet when it's his turn, gets up and pulls off some impressive lift. 2hp was awesome as usual, and he was well-rounded everywhere else. He scared everyone by jumping into the weaver stick very late, but apparently new what he was doing and made an awesome lift.

Brent - If it's cylindrical, and you grab it by the end, chances are Brent will lift it. The hub and v-bar man. Strong as always. Uber impressive performance in the medley as well.

Chris - Chris is like a walking strength encyclopedia. Awesome. Every question you could possibly have about something concerning strength, Chris has a

thorough, well thought-out answer. Grippers are his weakness, yet he was still able to close a #3. Awesome 2hp strength. His final attempt definitely looked easy for him.

Mike R - When you look at Mike's results, it's easy to forget that he is, for all intents and purposes, a newb :D This guy is gonna kick butt with a few more months of training. All his numbers were way up since the qualifier in August...he added 21lb to his 2hp in about 3 weeks (172 vs. 193), and closed a 166lb Elite (his best in August was 154). Speaking of that Elite, he missed it on his first attempt, and then went on to smash it on his next. Good show of mental strength.

Mike C - A lot of intensity and determination. Another #3 closer, and another one who's axle was limited by his back. After the comp I saw him doing some lifts with the IM hub. I was watching him and I'm thinking "how hard could that be?" So I walk over and gave it a pull. Nada. He then promptly pulled it again. Hence, "Hubgeezer" :D

Zach - I had a really good time hanging out with Zach. He put on a really good show in spite of his recent surgery. He closed a 156lb #3, and I'm betting his axle was definitely limited by his knee, not hand strength. I'm also indebted to him for his last-minute weaver stick instruction :tongue

Robert - I enjoyed meeting Rob. Really nice guy with well-rounded strength.

*Bonus* :D

Melissa Rinderle - This was one of the most impressive things I saw all day. I watched her close Mike's HG200 easily, so I gave her my remounted HG250.

This gripper is pretty stout. The only non-grip guys I've ever seen close it are my dad and my brother-in-law, who are both 6'4"+, 250lb+ guys. Melissa set it, and clamped it down to about 4-5mm :blink :blink :blink Whoa. She could definitely close big grippers if she trained.

Thanks Frank. let me know when you want to come up and I'll see if I'll be around.