1-leg Deadlift Performances

bencrush

Ben, you should let us know your max regular deadlift so we can get a feel for the % of weight that can be used, heh. :)

Only about 440lbs right now Arturo. And that's sumo. I have to pull conventional (no-brainer, lol) when I pull with one leg and my max conventional is a miserable 375.

Wow! So a pretty high percentage of your regular deadlift.

Ben, you should let us know your max regular deadlift so we can get a feel for the % of weight that can be used, heh. :)

Only about 440lbs right now Arturo. And that's sumo. I have to pull conventional (no-brainer, lol) when I pull with one leg and my max conventional is a miserable 375.

Wow! So a pretty high percentage of your regular deadlift.

Yep, but that's more embarrassing than impressive. :blush Got fired up and had an old friend cheering me on last night and almoooooooooost pulled 305lbs to full lockout on the right leg. Time to go back to some light stuff or moderately heavy singles to grease the groove for a few months.

Well, hats off to you, Ben. After my regular deadlifts last night Ryan gave this lift a go and pulled it with little trouble. I then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. I can't remember if the weight we had was 275 or 315. So, apparently I can't even pull half of my regular deadlift weight standing on one leg. This surprised me, as I do all my braced bending standing on one leg and kinking the bar over my shin.

Well, hats off to you, Ben. After my regular deadlifts last night Ryan gave this lift a go and pulled it with little trouble. I then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. I can't remember if the weight we had was 275 or 315. So, apparently I can't even pull half of my regular deadlift weight standing on one leg. This surprised me, as I do all my braced bending standing on one leg and kinking the bar over my shin.

Well thanks Eric! Remember though that you had to be a bit tired from the workout previous to the 1-leg deadlift attempts. Ryan is a beast to pull that first try with little trouble. Dang!

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled 308lbs with my right leg this morning before loading a ton of stuff out on the lawn for a yard sale. Only got 264lbs lefty, but I think that's due more to balance issues than lack of strength.

A stocky guy (early 40s? and about 6' and 250ish) came to the yard sale and asked if I had any other weights for sale. I hadn't actually planned on selling a bunch of weights, but he was nice and we talked a bit before he told me he was jobless at the moment - but that he had some cash from a recent birthday. I gave him some weights at a great price (free, haha!) and he tried out some grip stuff in return. We got cut short by an emergency call from his wife (having a baby) and I didn't have a chance to get his name and info to talk him into training this stuff! But before he left, he did the following:

-2" vbar: 220lbs-both hands. Full lockout. Had probably another 20-30lbs in him! Never done a vbar pull.

-TNS my 115lb #2-both hands. Has trained with some easy grippers, although it was years ago.

-1" vbar: 276lbs-right hand. :blink Didn't try lefty, but he pulled it with freaking ease to a full lockout! Super impressive!!! I would wager he had in the low-to-mid 300s without breaking a sweat. Didn't even brace his left hand against his thigh on the lift. He wanted to try some other things but I really wanted to see how far he could go on the 1" vbar.

-50 York: a few inches with his right hand. Still impressed me because he didn't have any kind of hand positioning going on. Just grab and go. Had a pretty decent-size hand though. I think it was over 8", but I didn't want to make him feel like he was in the Deliverance movie by asking, lol. :D

-1-Leg Deadlift: 225X5, 264X1, 275X1, 286X1, almost got 308 too...If he would've jumped immediately to that he would've smoked it I think. Got about knee-height before it stalled out though. All right leg.

All in all it was worth the entire day just to spend about 10 minutes watching this guy try out some grip stuff. Astonishing strength and I really feel dumb because I didn't ask him too many questions about where he lives or what he did to build this type of "starting" strength. I assume he was some kind of collegiate athlete though by the amount of muscle he was carrying around.

He wanted to try some bending since there is still a bunch of steel lying around my garage. He didn't get a chance though because his wife called.

I don't know how to go about finding out who he was, but I sure hope he decides to visit me again and that time I'll make sure to get his contact info! :(

Quite a story, Ben! I wonder if he realizes the potential he's carrying around.

A few hundred more cases like this guy and the grip community may one day change its standards. We've still got ol' Chase roaming around out there in Texas, doing his strapless rows at 24 Hour Fitness.

-Rex

Cool stuff here Ben. This is the first I've seen of this thread. Congrats on the 308!

I'll have to give one-leggers another try down the road. I'm sure on a good day I can nail 315, but like you said, the balance is killer!