1-leg Deadlift Performances

bencrush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBj3EJq4m8

I pulled 276lbs using only my right leg tonight. It was an intermediate goal I had set for myself about a month ago. I had originally thought it would take me about 6 months to reach that poundage. Not necessarily because of the weight, but because of the balance issues I have. And the fact that I ONLY pull sumo if I even deadlift has forced me to learn how to stiff-leg deadlift while standing on one leg. I also power cleaned 135lbs using only my right leg, but that strained my left hip somehow.

I'm compiling a list of some of the best performances on the 1-leg deadlift, so please let me know what you're capable of if you try the lift out. I know that 315lbs is a sure thing for some of you guys once you iron out the balance issues. 405lbs for a few of the mutants. 500lbs? Anyone?

Ben, if this is a spoof of similar threads in this forum, I just want to tell you that it's brilliant.

-Rex

Ben, if this is a spoof of similar threads in this forum, I just want to tell you that it's brilliant.

-Rex

Haha, thanks Rex! :D Alas, it's not a spoof. I'm kind of lame.

IAWA lift?

Yes, and by extension, a USAWA lift too. I wasn't able to get on the IAWA site to check the world records though...site is down and I even used the Wayback Machine but still couldn't find an access to the site.

Wow Ben :rock I didn't even know this was possible :blink

Ben,

I've got a list based on the latestst version of the IAWA World Records that I used for a post about John McKean on the P&B a while back - I don't have access to that PC at the moment, if I get a chance to have a look before that site comes back up (hopefully soon!) I'll put up the numbers.

Wow Ben :rock I didn't even know this was possible :blink

Thanks John! :D Yet another lift you'd do well at without even practicing.

I just tried to access the IAWA to check the records and the site is disabled - the US site doesn't (never did) show the records if I remember right. I'll have to give the one leg DL a try and see what happens.

From that list I see McKean pulled 78.9kg / 174lbs on his Right Leg in the 50+ 75kg Class back in 1997.

Very cool Mac! Thanks for the information man. :cool John McKean is a phenomenal all-around lifter. It's also one of those lifts that you can improve rapidly for a while - just from getting the hang of the balance issue.

That is awesome Ben!! :rock

Thanks Arturo! You should try it. You're lean - and my gut gets in the way - so you'll have an easier time in that regard.

I just tried to access the IAWA to check the records and the site is disabled - the US site doesn't (never did) show the records if I remember right. I'll have to give the one leg DL a try and see what happens.

Good deal Chris. I look forward to seeing what numbers you put up!

That is awesome Ben!! :rock

Thanks Arturo! This is fun stuff, you should try it out man.

"There's strong, and then there's Ben Edwards Strong"

Awesome stuff Ben :rock

Haha, thanks man! :D

Looks tricky! I need to try this.

Looks tricky! I need to try this.

Definitely Eric! I've been waiting for a "real" deadlifter to express some interest in this challenge. I'm certainly not one of those.

Ben, you should let us know your max regular deadlift so we can get a feel for the % of weight that can be used, heh. :)

Ben, you should let us know your max regular deadlift so we can get a feel for the % of weight that can be used, heh. :)

Only about 440lbs right now Arturo. And that's sumo. I have to pull conventional (no-brainer, lol) when I pull with one leg and my max conventional is a miserable 375.