Squat Pr

The Natural

35 pound PR from three months ago. Will do 700 before the year ends.

(as usual, used belt, under-belt, knee sleeves). Will post video later if y'all want to see it.

Some things I've learned in the past 3 months

Do narrow stance, ass to grass Oly squats (high bar, no belt) along with power squats. They help round you out.

Squat more often than once a week. Even drug free guys can squat 3 or 4 times a week no problem. Doesn't have to be max effort all the time.

I used my favorite pause squat cycle again this time to peak for this. Don't use it often but when I do it's always good for a boost.

Probably not new stuff to lots of guys, but may help those getting into powerlifting.

-Rex

You keep setting PRs like this - you're going to mess around and get strong !!! Congrats!

I want to see the vid, Rex. 635lbs is NO JOKE!!! Congrats. :rock

My strength is finally starting to come around - I think a solid 500lb squat is in my very near future. I'd like to talk more about routines too, as I think my strength base is solid enough to start branching out a bit.

Nice work Rex :rock

I love pause squats, makes everything else seem easy :D Great lift Rex; looking forward to the vid :rock

Squat more often than once a week. Even drug free guys can squat 3 or 4 times a week no problem. Doesn't have to be max effort all the time.

Agreed.. ive found that if I push through a few squat sessions a week the faster I can recover eventually. Its tough mentally at first but you will be glad you did it.

I want to see the vid, Rex. 635lbs is NO JOKE!!! Congrats. :rock

My strength is finally starting to come around - I think a solid 500lb squat is in my very near future. I'd like to talk more about routines too, as I think my strength base is solid enough to start branching out a bit.

Rex - I hit 520 tonight, buddy! I'll allow you to chalk this up as a motivational/inspirational moment. I'm going to post the workout in my blog right now.

35 pound PR from three months ago. Will do 700 before the year ends.

(as usual, used belt, under-belt, knee sleeves). Will post video later if y'all want to see it.

Some things I've learned in the past 3 months

Do narrow stance, ass to grass Oly squats (high bar, no belt) along with power squats. They help round you out.

I used my favorite pause squat cycle again this time to peak for this. Don't use it often but when I do it's always good for a boost.

Probably not new stuff to lots of guys, but may help those getting into powerlifting.

-Rex

insanity

did the bar bend this time?

quality squatting Rex

Looking forward to the vid!

I have been into heavy squats now for about 6 months but I haven't tried squatting more than once a week, think i'm going to have to give it a go! The other bonus is that any grip work seems to be stronger after squatting aswell. If i were to squat 3 times a week, what would you suggest? I was thinking of doing 1 session of fairly heavy squats, 1 lighter session of active recovery squats (higher rep sets with 40-50%) and 1 sesison of explosive squatting with bands? Does this sound ok? What about deadlifting do you think it would be a good idea to throw in a few deads after the speed squat session? I'd appreciate some help here Rex - I'm after a 6 plates squat this summer.

Edited by CoC#3

Great work Rex, thats 2 of me hanging off each side of the bar. . . plus 35 lbs or so. DAMN . :blink

Great work and solid advice. I look forward to the video.

quality squatting Rex

Looking forward to the vid!

I have been into heavy squats now for about 6 months but I haven't tried squatting more than once a week, think i'm going to have to give it a go! The other bonus is that any grip work seems to be stronger after squatting aswell. If i were to squat 3 times a week, what would you suggest? I was thinking of doing 1 session of fairly heavy squats, 1 lighter session of active recovery squats (higher rep sets with 40-50%) and 1 sesison of explosive squatting with bands? Does this sound ok? What about deadlifting do you think it would be a good idea to throw in a few deads after the speed squat session? I'd appreciate some help here Rex - I'm after a 6 plates squat this summer.

I do the Pavel "Power To The People" routine for squats where you just do 2 sets of 5 (heavy) 4-5 times a week and rotate the weight, works great.

The video is on Paul's computer, but YouTube was on its period when we tried to upload it last night. Maybe when Paul has some time today, he can upload it....I'll text him.

-Rex

I guess the bar didn't bend ......................... pussy

Awesome squat! Congrats!

Just got a chance to watch the video, Rex. Looked easy for you, buddy. I think you had a few more lbs in the tank. Great stuff.