Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Thanks for the insight Ben!!

I think it's been over a year since I tried to lift that 35 hex with less fingers :)

Friday night: Again didn't get all the grip work in I wanted to but I was fairly happy with what I did do.

Master rulerhold @15lbs and loading pin: x10 count hold

ISG@203ish (2,11) x6L x3R

wristplate curl 25+another 2 nails x3, x2?

25 unloaded x10 LR

self resistence extentions x20, x20

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

with your hands being 7 3/4 You keep working that pinch wide and narrow you should make ganis fairly fast. The 2 finger lifts are hard. Nice job my man. Something that really helps me with the pinch is makeing sure my thumb is lined up about in the middle in relation to my fingers on the other side of what ever you are pinching. I have found if it in not lined up I lose some of the power. That is just me thoe and waht do I know. :upsidedwn Great workouts Jonathan! Keep it up!

Great point Nick!!! I seem to vaguely recall at Rick's BFGS a couple of the guys (maybe Rick and Jedd) discussing and describing hand placement on the blob prior to lifting. If my memories serve me correctly they were grabbing their thumb and pulling it to a better position with their free hand.

Jon@han

Monday's stuff:

I filed my M down some more seemed to have the desired effect as I couldn't ruler hold what I wanted :laugh

M rulerhold @17.5 x5 count L, break off the ground R

@10lbs x10 count LR

ISG@5,10 (203.8) x5

35 ultrawide hub -10lbs x3L, x4R

wristplatecurl nail loaded: x3,x3,x2

RT: 145x1, 155x1 easy, 165x1 PR left only right dragged it all over but couldn't get any air

towel extentions x20

Tuesday:

25's+22.5 x3,x3,x3

25+35 (35 on finger side) x10 swings. I should clarify that these swings aren't' like dumbell swings (someday maybe :) ) Just shoulder and arm movement nowhere near parrell to the ground

blockweights:

40 xseveral drags, x1 pinky assist

35 xmiddle 2 fingers only PR left only, 1st+2nd finger x1 LR!!!!, middle 2 fingers x1 partial deadlift LR!!!, clean +press x1

Sledge front lever from ground:

1 foot up from bottom of handle x10, halfway down further x10, @bottom x2L x1R

reverse x8

dumbell rotations@10lbs x8, x8

incline table curl: 60x10L 8R

Jon@han

Wed night after work:

ISG@1,12 (210) x5

#3 forced shut singles: x5

alternated with T closes doubles x5 :laugh trying to work some speed into my closes

2 hand wristplate curl 35 x12

1 hand cheat wristplate curl off my knee x2 rom was poor but I am feeling stronger in this move again as in it didn't feel like my fingers and wrist were going to snap off!!!

No other work done, no time

Jon@han

Last thursday:

35's +2.5 alternating deadlifts LR: hoped for 10 but only got 5 as my thumbs ripped open

35 hub -10lbs: x7R x4L +several partial dl's

sledge+nail: x10 middle, x10 halfway between middle point and end, bottom x3L x1R

Reverse: middle x10, x8 bottom of handle

dumbell rotation @10lbs x10, x10

No work done friday or the weekend, my father in law is in gung ho mode so we spent the entire weekend working on the basement washroom. Still more to be done but it's going great!!

Monday:

M rulerhold @20lbs x0

filed #2 rulerhold @no weight other then IM loading pin x10 count

ISG@9,7 (213.5) x5 crappy -think I might go to my log's title with my ISG now and do heavy, light, medium sessions in the week.

35hub -10lbs x8 alternating DL's +multiple partial dl's

wristplate curl +2 nails x3, x2, x1

RT @147.5 x7DL's

Towel extentions x20

Jon@han

• 2 weeks later...

haven't had the time to log onto the gripboard since taking over the parental leave for our baby. probably won't get much time until I get back to work in 3 months.

I am also struggling to get my workouts in and when I do they are super appreviated!!

only 7 workouts since I last logged on, and Rylee is crying so I can't even post them now

Jon@han

• 4 weeks later...
..... "rapid fire reps".....  :(

Sorry Jonathan, but I HATE that term (and I hate all the reps your doing).  Perhaps it's time to change your routine again?  ???  HINT:  take out the reps this time.

That's a funny comment. I feel the same way. That is a lot of reps.

Johnathan, I'm looking forward to seeing your workout posts again. Hope everything is going well with the parental leave.

• 3 weeks later...

Jonathan-

Miss reading your journal! Give us an update when ever you can bro-

You coming to GGC 2? I am going to try and make it, though I doubt very much I will be competing this time around. Grip has taken a far back seat to everything else. Though my base strength is still up there, I am no where near where I was.

-Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on that update soldier.

Hope the family is doing well.

-Rick

• 4 weeks later...

I am back, no time to post much but some highlights:

RT@175 (maybe it's broken in now, but i'd like to think it's still new)

2 hand plate pinch 185 on my plates this is a hooge pr as these things are a beetch.

I have also closed my #3 on several occasions now but that is bracing, I am a million miles away without this cheat.

It'll take me forever to catch up with all the going ons around here, GGC2 hope I can make it!!

Jon@han

Great to have you back Jonathan! Sounds like you've been busy with a little grip training on your time off. Nice RT and pinch!

Thanks Ben!

Coming off of the parental leave into a new job I won't be able to post regularly for some time, but hopefully in the future I will be able to update my log for the curious.

Jon@han

• 2 months later...

Still crazy busy at the new job, been months since I have had the chance to log on to the board, and still no time to update my log and post in any other threads either for that matter.

Grip work lately has consisted of higher volume work on the isg when time permits. Working with the hammerstrength grip machine when available, and farting around with the ironmind's eagle loops. With only 3-4hours a week to spare for any kind of training I have prioritized to getting my bodily strength back up so grip training is only on the side burner.

Jon@han

Great to hear from you my friend! I was just wondering the other day what you had been up to.

Keep us updated.

-Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rick,

Still superbusy on the job, so I'll try to quickly jot something down if I can on what I have been doing.

I am happy to report that my body strength is improving and I have gained back some of my pr's and or have surpassed some of them.

Gripstrength wise I get a few minutes a week of work in. Recently I have been trying to cram in some extra sessions to work on some grip stunts as the boys want me to put on show for their classes. So far this is what I have been working on:

Ripping a tennis ball in half: I have managed the feat so far with 3 $ store balls but it has taken me over 10minutes each time so unless I can get in under a couple of minutes it won't make the show.

$ store wrenches: snapped a few of these so I feel good about this.

1/2" steel bar bends: I managed a 3' piece the other day quite easily so I will see how short of a bar I can do consistently. This stock is like butter and practically bends before you touch it.

water cooler jug snatch: I am so weak with a thick v-bar lift that I couldn't even do this with the full jug so I have started with it half full. So this won't make the show either unless I can get it fairly consistently with the full jug.

damn gotta go

Jon@han

Jonathan, it IS great to have you around again! It looks like you're stronger than ever with your hands. I notice some lofty goals in your signature, but you're definitely closing in on them.

Keep after it Jon!

Thanks Eric and Sean!

As I stated before grip is on the sideburner but what little I get done is going nicely.

Well got my reality cheque this weekend. Tried to rip a real tennis ball and found out there is a hooge difference between a name brand ball and a $ store. Should have known better :blush:laugh I ended up having to shave down a spot on the ball. Approx. half the material thickness of the rubber removed before I was able to rip through that sucker!!

I highly reccomend the $ store tennis balls to anyone who wants to get a feel for this stunt, I was able to coach a guy to rip one first time trying.

No time gotta run

Jon@han

• 3 weeks later...

not much to report, still no computer time.

The only regular grip training I have been doing is the hammerstrength grip machine when at the Y and once or twice a week I have been doing sets of 5 on the ISG until I get 100 total reps then I increase the resistence setting.

So it's not likely I will attain any of my goals but life will settle down eventually and then I hope to get a little O/C on the grip thing again.

Jon@han

Is your water cooler jug snatch a 5 gallon plastic jug? If so have you tried snatching it by the neck? Pretty nifty feat I think. I haven't seen anyone else do it, but thats just co-workers.

• 2 weeks later...

deaner that is correct I am training for the neck hold in that jug snatch, err.. was training haven't tried in weeks now.

Nothing earth shattering to report and no time to post the training log.

Jon@han

• 3 months later...

Where you been bro? I hope all is well with you and your family.

Send me a message some time-

-Rick