All The Ways To Train On A Gripper

DannyGrip

Notice how one has to search for hours on end on the Board to find out exactly which ways to train and what are all the methods to train. I figure I start a topic which just lists every single way possible to train on a gripper, whether it' s a gripper that can be closed and not closed.

I'll list what I know and it would be great that everyone just adds along what methods/techniques they have used and what has worked.

Ways to Train on a Gripper one can close:

1. No Set Full Reps: Pinky comes off slightly on every single repetition & handles are opened all the way.

2. Full Reps: Handles are opened about 2" (Credit Card) on every single rep, for some it might be a little more or less depending on hand size. These are reps performed with a natural opening to the point where the pinky doesn't slip off. Gripper stays in place and this opening involves more constant tension on the crush.

3. Parallel Reps: Handles are opened about 1" on every single rep. Also known as Deep Set Reps, Half Reps, and Partials.

4. Holds: The Grippper is closed and kept shut for as long as possible in the closed position. The Hold ends when the gripper isn't closed anymore.

5. Strap-Holds: The Gripper is closed and kept shut w/ a strap that holds weight between the handles. The Hold ends when the weight falls down.

Ways to Train on a Gripper one cannot close:

1. Attempts: The Gripper is attempted to be closed and held in the closest distance the handles can get to in the attempt.

2. Negatives: The Gripper is cheated closed with aid and then aid is removed and the gripper is held shut (or however close it is to being shut) until the handles open.

Any other ways to train on Grippers?

Let's hear everyone's insight and what they feel works best!

I dont think I saw Overcrushes or filed gripper closes(beyond ranges closes) on your list, both are helpful techniques that I have used.

I dont think I saw Overcrushes or filed gripper closes(beyond ranges closes) on your list, both are helpful techniques that I have used.

Isn't Overcrushes the same as Holds? Because when one does Holds, the Gripper is constantly crushed with as much force to keep it closed.

Beyond The Range is another great method in which to train. This method involves slight modification of the gripper handles by filing off about 1 mm giving more distance in the close.

Inverted Closes is quite interesting. I haven't had luck doing these without hurting my hand while repping, and it feels like it's pinching against the bone by my thumb. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, appreciate any remarks.

Edited by DannyGrip

Isn't Overcrushes the same as Holds? Because when one does Holds, the Gripper is constantly crushed with as much force to keep it closed.

Beyond The Range is another great method in which to train. This method involves slight modification of the gripper handles by filing off about 1 mm giving more distance in the close.

Inverted Closes is quite interesting. I haven't had luck doing these without hurting my hand while repping, and it feels like it's pinching against the bone by my thumb. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, appreciate any remarks.

You don't need to overcrush the gripper when doing holds so it's another thing. The force needed to hold it closed must not be as high as the force you might be able to apply to the gripper when doing overcrushes. The name says it all: you "over-crush" it with as much force you can otherwise you just "hold it closed" with the required force to hold it.

When doing inverted closes you have to be careful with the setting. Just imagine your hand inverted and set it the same way as when doing non-inverted closes. Also chokers come to my mind. Anyways I like 2-finger-closes with index&middle finger better than inverted closes. I also like ring&pinky closes with an inverted gripper.

Bounce-forced negatives: Same as negatives but you force the gripper in when it starts to open a couple of times instead of doing a full negative.

I hope I got it right :)

You don't need to overcrush the gripper when doing holds so it's another thing. The force needed to hold it closed must not be as high as the force you might be able to apply to the gripper when doing overcrushes. The name says it all: you "over-crush" it with as much force you can otherwise you just "hold it closed" with the required force to hold it.

When doing inverted closes you have to be careful with the setting. Just imagine your hand inverted and set it the same way as when doing non-inverted closes. Also chokers come to my mind. Anyways I like 2-finger-closes with index&middle finger better than inverted closes. I also like ring&pinky closes with an inverted gripper.

Bounce-forced negatives: Same as negatives but you force the gripper in when it starts to open a couple of times instead of doing a full negative.

I hope I got it right :)

Bounce-Force Negatives sounds like a few negatives compacted into one. So you force the gripper shut w/ the other hand, then you hold unto whatever position you're at, then when it starts to open you use the other hand again to try to close and hold once again.

I'd put Chokers and Filed Handles in the same category as it's a way to modify handle distance before or when closing to tackle training in a different way.

On 2 or 3 finger closes, I start to feel my knuckles hurting around those fingers and then few days later when I try to close the gripper using the regular way with all fingers, it feels awkward. The pain I get on my knuckles when performing this is similiar to the pain I get when I tried "No-Set Reps". I believe repping out a gripper using the "No-Set" technique is not necessary as that final bend on the fingers in the 2.75" open places discomfort on the fingers and it's the last 1" of the gripper opening that actually doesn't build or use the crushing strength as much as the final 1" of the close. So if I'd have to chose between doing "No-Set Reps" or "Parallel Reps" - I would say "Parallel Reps" are better for training. The problem is that everywhere you read about #3 closers, they describe their routine and set/rep schemes but fail to mention exactly how far they open on their repetitions.

OverCrushes: I would say if you're going to ABSOLUTE failure on a Hold, then it definately becomes an Overcrush at the end when you're struggling to keep the handles closed. Yes if someone that can close a #2, takes a #1 and Holds it for 30 seconds without forcing extra contraction in the close then yes there isn't an Overcrushing involved. If someone has trouble closing the #2 for 10 seconds for example, then fights it really hard and forces it closed for 15 seconds, then an Overcrush is definately performed. Same thing goes for Strap-Holds - you have to constantly Overcrush to keep the weight from falling down. Let me know if you agree on my evaluation.

Edited by DannyGrip

Bounce-forced negatives are my personal favorite. Also over-crushes and parallel reps.

Bounce-forced negatives are my personal favorite. Also over-crushes and parallel reps.

Magnus, are these techniques - negatives, overcrushes, and parallel reps - what you would consider to have made the difference in you being able to close the #3?

I've discontinued my usual routine of clicking off mindless sets/reps on the #1.5 and have just concentrated on Overcrushes with the #2 and all the sudden I'm almost closing the #2.5. My problem was that all I was doing w/ the #2 was singles and as soon as the handles closed I would release. Now that I've changed that around to actually not letting the handles open by holding to the point of failure, the #2 is starting to feel easier!

Edited by DannyGrip

Magnus, are these techniques - negatives, overcrushes, and parallel reps - what you would consider to have made the difference in you being able to close the #3?

I've discontinued my usual routine of clicking off mindless sets/reps on the #1.5 and have just concentrated on Overcrushes with the #2 and all the sudden I'm almost closing the #2.5. My problem was that all I was doing w/ the #2 was singles and as soon as the handles closed I would release. Now that I've changed that around to actually not letting the handles open by holding to the point of failure, the #2 is starting to feel easier!

Yeah. Well as a matter of fact, it's what I used to close every goal gripper so far. Hasn't failed me yet :D Of coarse, I've done other training in addition to grippers to break plateaus (TTK seemed to work very nicely), but as far as gripper workouts themselves go, they're what I always do. Different variations and combos of them over time to keep the workouts from getting repetitive, of coarse, but that's pretty much it for grippers.

Edited by Magnus

How about closing grippers with weightlifting gloves on? I think John Brookfield suggested it...

Yes, I've heard that it adds weight to the close but I don't know how well one can make sure the gripper stays in place.

Magnus: Have you tried Strap-Holds ? Or Overcrushes w/ various gripppers effective enough in your quest?

I think Strap-Holds would be helpful if you are jumping from say a #1 to a #2 where there is a huge gap.

It's better to do Holds on a #2 for 10 seconds, then Strap-Holds w/ 10 lbs on the #1.5 for 10 seconds.

I think with the 1/2 steps on the CoC's and the BB's, it's possible to find a right gripper range in which to practice Overcrushes without the need for Strap-Holds.

I tried Strap-Holds for 2 training sessions. With my right hand on the #1.5, I was holding 10 lbs and for some reason after I held unto it for above 15 seconds, my wrist moved forward and I felt something on my tendon in the forearm right after that. It was pretty annoying, I would feel the pain each time I'd close my hand w/ the middle finger outstretched to my wrist. Pain went away within 3-4 days, but it was scary this happened. In my opinion, Strap-Holds can put some added strain on the wrist in stabilizing the weight.

Edited by DannyGrip

How about closing grippers with weightlifting gloves on? I think John Brookfield suggested it...

Yes, I've heard that it adds weight to the close but I don't know how well one can make sure the gripper stays in place.

Magnus: Have you tried Strap-Holds ? Or Overcrushes w/ various gripppers effective enough in your quest?

I think Strap-Holds would be helpful if you are jumping from say a #1 to a #2 where there is a huge gap.

It's better to do Holds on a #2 for 10 seconds, then Strap-Holds w/ 10 lbs on the #1.5 for 10 seconds.

I think with the 1/2 steps on the CoC's and the BB's, it's possible to find a right gripper range in which to practice Overcrushes without the need for Strap-Holds.

I tried Strap-Holds for 2 training sessions. With my right hand on the #1.5, I was holding 10 lbs and for some reason after I held unto it for above 15 seconds, my wrist moved forward and I felt something on my tendon in the forearm right after that. It was pretty annoying, I would feel the pain each time I'd close my hand w/ the middle finger outstretched to my wrist. Pain went away within 3-4 days, but it was scary this happened. In my opinion, Strap-Holds can put some added strain on the wrist in stabilizing the weight.

First off an overcrush is not the same as a hold. A hold you are only putting enough effort in to keep the handles closed. an overcrush is different in that you are giving every thing you got trying to crush the handles. the 1st causes more of an endurance type adaptation and the 2nd is great for developing top end power at those joint angles.

Ok, next Strap holds are best done with the biggest gripper and least weight you can use. I would usually try to go for 1-2.5# range myself. small incremental steps up in grippers are helpful her but not necessary. useful time on this can be 5 - 20 sec IMHO depending on volume. a 20sec SH is pretty brutal if you go to failure and you prolly dont want to be doing a bunch of sets of those. 5-10sec holds on the other hand are better if you want to do some volume of sets. When I was training with these I never went higher than 5# plate due to strain on the wrist. I also found it helpful to use chokers when doing the SH for ease of setup. you can be alot more consistent doing them that way and really focus on the most important part. It is possible to do them with higher weight but I feel it comes with an unacceptable level of risk for me at least in normal workouts. That being said I did get a SH with a #3 and a 10kg plate this weekend just to see if I could do it.

- Aaron

First off an overcrush is not the same as a hold. A hold you are only putting enough effort in to keep the handles closed. an overcrush is different in that you are giving every thing you got trying to crush the handles. the 1st causes more of an endurance type adaptation and the 2nd is great for developing top end power at those joint angles.

Ok, next Strap holds are best done with the biggest gripper and least weight you can use. I would usually try to go for 1-2.5# range myself. small incremental steps up in grippers are helpful her but not necessary. useful time on this can be 5 - 20 sec IMHO depending on volume. a 20sec SH is pretty brutal if you go to failure and you prolly dont want to be doing a bunch of sets of those. 5-10sec holds on the other hand are better if you want to do some volume of sets. When I was training with these I never went higher than 5# plate due to strain on the wrist. I also found it helpful to use chokers when doing the SH for ease of setup. you can be alot more consistent doing them that way and really focus on the most important part. It is possible to do them with higher weight but I feel it comes with an unacceptable level of risk for me at least in normal workouts. That being said I did get a SH with a #3 and a 10kg plate this weekend just to see if I could do it.

- Aaron

Thank you so much for the information Aaron!

Greatly appreciated. I will definately take your advice on the strap-holds.

Strap-Holds is just a heavier version of Overcrushes basically.

I'm just wondering, if someone has real hard time to close a #2 and can close it and hold it for say 5 seconds and then in their training they close and try to hold the #2 for as long as possible, struggling to reach 10 seconds, this kind of Hold is not an Overcrush? The individual has to work so hard to fight it from opening and exerts as much force as possible in keeping it shut.

So Overcrushes become just Holds once the gripper gets easier, is that the point you're trying to make?

Because in my opinion it's much harder and more efficient to hold unto a #2 for less than 10 seconds, then to hold unto a #1.5 on a strap-hold w/ weight for 10 seconds - that is given that both are that person's max. If a certain level becomes comfy and easy, then yes the Holds don't involve overcrushing becomes the person is just concentrating on fighting it from opening and not crushing harder. Let me know what you guys think about that idea. :)

Edited by DannyGrip

I can't remember who posted it (bencrush?) but there was a video about covering your gripper handles in oil to make them super slick and attempting closes that way. I tried it with my #2 and it obviously made it much tougher. I think its something people should try to throw in a lil variation with your gripper workouts and help break through plateaus when ya hit em.

I can't remember who posted it (bencrush?) but there was a video about covering your gripper handles in oil to make them super slick and attempting closes that way. I tried it with my #2 and it obviously made it much tougher. I think its something people should try to throw in a lil variation with your gripper workouts and help break through plateaus when ya hit em.

Definately sounds like fun! Try having real sweaty or wet hands and closing it! The problem with that is that the leverage and control you have over the gripper is lost so you can't generate full force on the close.

Anyway, how does everyone like to Rep out on their gripper.

What's your fav way to Rep & which do you think is most effective?

NS, Full, or Parallel ?

Examples of NS:

Examples of Full:

Examples of Parallel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxMxva-33w&feature=channel_page

Edited by DannyGrip

Partials- Take a gripper you can't close and tape a stack of pennies to the inside. Take a penny out here and there as you improve.

Coin holds will burn you out!

I agree!

*grumbles something about the #2*

Michael

don't forget to practice your set

Coin holds will burn you out!

Holds, Coin Holds, and Strap Holds only involve the CLOSE part, which is good but I think turning a Hold into a Negative is great.

I actually just tried out doing a few negatives w/ the #2 (a Gripper which I can fully close).

Has anyone doing negatives on a gripper they can CLOSE and how effective would you say is it in mastering the level you're currently on?

I closed the gripper and held it shut for as long as I could and kept fighting it, then when it finally opened a little I kept resisting the open. The handles start opening slowly, but only release tension when the handles have completely opened.

I think these are great for strength as you fully work the negative part and I have to say I was feeling my forearm muscles and tendons at the end of these!

Edited by DannyGrip

In regards to my last post about working negatives on a gripper you can close, I have found that there's no real challenge on the opening part after the Overcrush ends - You can most likely be on that opening position for minutes without any gains in strength.

Just Overcrushing in the closed position is definately superior and this is what burned my gripping muscles!

Anyway, I finally tried Strap-Holds with my #1.5. Started with a 2.5 lbs plate, then a 5 lbs, was relatively easy, so I kept going up until 10 lbs and was able to hold that as well.

I'd have to say Strap-Holds are a great exercise for your Anterior Delt & Brachioradialis.

Felt like I was holding the gripper & the weight for an isometric hammer curl w/ my shoulder assisting the position.

Did a bunch of sets, all I felt was a slight burn in the deltoid and top of forearm from holding the gripper in the hammer curl position.

Honestly, felt no real challenge being imposed on my grip as compared to just standard Overcrushing.

Didn't feel the grip muscles being worked to failure when the weight came falling down.

Can Strap-Holds just be a fluke in the grip community?

One day John Brookfield in front of people shows that he can hold the #2 shut w/ 25 lbs on a strap and from there this trick was attributed to his strength. I recall even John said, he was closing the #3 before he even thought about the idea of the strap-hold.

Is it possible that everyone who has sworn by Strap-Holds as a way to get stronger and move up on the grippers has done so many other things w/ the grippers (such as negatives, overcrushes, etc.), that it was most likely all the other training methods that made a difference and not necessarily the strap-holds.

Like for example, if you have someone who only does strap-holds as compared to someone who does strap-holds and a bunch of other things, would the person only doing the strap-holds still make advances at the same rate as the other?

If this isn't the case, then we should re-evaluate if this training method really is effective.

Edited by DannyGrip

One thing i've been wondering about overcrushes is if it matters how hard the gripper is. I've been doing all my overcrushes on my #1 since it's filed and i prefer not to file down another gripper. So would it make any difference overcrushing an #2 compared to #1? The way i do it is just squeezing it all i got for 8-10 seconds and then release so should it really matter how hard the gripper is when im always giving it my max?

One thing i've been wondering about overcrushes is if it matters how hard the gripper is. I've been doing all my overcrushes on my #1 since it's filed and i prefer not to file down another gripper. So would it make any difference overcrushing an #2 compared to #1? The way i do it is just squeezing it all i got for 8-10 seconds and then release so should it really matter how hard the gripper is when im always giving it my max?

As long as you're giving it your MAX then it should be fine. But can you overcrush your #2? I think that would be better for the 8-10 seconds. Have you tried Negatives w/ a gripper you can't close? They are great and will also tax your gripping muscles.

Edited by DannyGrip

As long as you're giving it your MAX then it should be fine. But can you overcrush your #2? I think that would be better for the 8-10 seconds. Have you tried Negatives w/ a gripper you can't close? They are great and will also tax your gripping muscles.

I can at least hold my #2 shut for 12+ seconds. So an overcrush should be doable.

Negatives i do every workout, usually with #3.