Ronnie Coleman Grip Challenge

The Natural

Paul and I are setting up a grip challenge at the Ronnie Coleman Classic, as one of the side events. Anyone can come up and try the items. Completing 3 of the 5 items gets you a Coleman Classic T-shirt. We're thinking blob, #2 CoC, 8 pound hammer (parallel deadlift), Metroflex Inch, and 225 pound 2" V-bar.

To get some attention for grip, I am going to talk to Brian Dobson and see if we can get Ronnie to try the grip challenge. We'd videotape it and put it on YouTube.

Should be some fun times. :rock

YEAH BUDDY!

-Rex

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• mightyjoe

• mobsterone

• Paul Knight

AWESOME idea, Rex! I'd be interested to see how Ronnie would handle some of those lifts. Keep us posted.

Those are LIGHT WEIGHTS.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........

the items haven't been set in stone yet - we need to figure out how many T's they wanna give away and then decide, if they don't wat to give that many away then we'll use a #3 or #3.5 :devil

Those are LIGHT WEIGHTS.

the items haven't been set in stone yet - we need to figure out how many T's they wanna give away and then decide, if they don't wat to give that many away then we'll use a #3 or #3.5 :devil

I talked to Brian and he told me to do whatever I want, but he sounded like he wanted it to be difficult. I don't care about making it difficult for most people.

At the same time, I don't want it to be so difficult that Ronnie is hesitant to do it. With all the public image stuff he has to deal with, I doubt that bombing out on a grip challenge at his own contest would be something he'd agree to have filmed. So I want it easy enough for Ronnie to complete, but I want it difficult enough for most people not to get it.

I hear Ronnie has a grip, so this may not be too difficult.

-Rex

-Rex

I hope so...he's got everything else!

Those are LIGHT WEIGHTS.

I talked to Brian and he told me to do whatever I want, but he sounded like he wanted it to be difficult. I don't care about making it difficult for most people.

At the same time, I don't want it to be so difficult that Ronnie is hesitant to do it. With all the public image stuff he has to deal with, I doubt that bombing out on a grip challenge at his own contest would be something he'd agree to have filmed. So I want it easy enough for Ronnie to complete, but I want it difficult enough for most people not to get it.

-Rex

My post was a play upon Ronnie's "Light Weight Baby, Booo....." catchphrase, rather than saying the weights are light, boo-hiss.

Oh well.... :D

Great idea :rock

Why not setup a 2HP device? It's one of the most popular events at grip contests and it's a fun lift. I'd set it at 200+ though, even if you want it "easy". A lot of guys have come into grip contests total newbs and pulled 180-190 and a few over 200 at Gripmas '08 if I remember right.

Other than that, I love the idea!

Intrested in what Ronnie can handle.

Paul and I are setting up a grip challenge at the Ronnie Coleman Classic, as one of the side events. Anyone can come up and try the items. Completing 3 of the 5 items gets you a Coleman Classic T-shirt. We're thinking blob, #2 CoC, 8 pound hammer (parallel deadlift), Metroflex Inch, and 225 pound 2" V-bar.

To get some attention for grip, I am going to talk to Brian Dobson and see if we can get Ronnie to try the grip challenge. We'd videotape it and put it on YouTube.

Should be some fun times. :rock

YEAH BUDDY!

-Rex

Sounds cool, Rex!

Ronnie will do all the events unless you increase the weight.

#2 gripper? That's funny! He did my #2 17 reps and ask me how

many I wanted him to do. This was in 1996. He's nearly 50 lbs. heavier now.

Someone show him how to set a gripper and the #3 and 3.5 will fall right

before your eyes. Under one year with practice on the #4 and it would fall too.

Ronnie's grip is off the charts people! If Ronnie will do the events come and watch

for yourself. Nuff said.

i say make it hard and dont video him its not his line of expertise. its for fun like ringing the bell at the boaardwalk. your going to run out of tee,s to fast if its easy. dont do the sledge , some nitwit will get hurt, try to have some things from the woodall medely withe the same weights. i dlike to see how many of the medely items he could do. therea tough challenges.

ricoe

(Apparently) Ronnie took a freak #3 from no set to ~1/4" with horrible positioning. I'm curious to see how he does here

i could do that the first thim i picked one up

Sounds fun :rock . The #2 seems relatively easy to the other items (unless it has to be TNS'd), but I definatley like the idea. Hope it turns out well

Yeah, I pretty much want to avoid MMS entirely for this contest. In my experience, everyone who attempts a gripper uses a TNS. Then they usually don't close the gripper. Then they ask you to close it, and you proceed to close it with a MMS. They rightfully grow suspcious, since you're not really comparing apples to apples anymore--they want to see you close it the way THEY tried to close it. So that eliminates the #3.5, at least for me. I'm able to CCS a #3 now, so that may be a good compromise. It's a wide enough set that they don't feel suspicious, but it's the "#3", so all the non-grip guys fear and respect it.

-Rex

Is this the same one? (Sorry for the newbie/ignorant questions I have here.)

http://www.metroflexgym.com/events.htm

If so, that's less than 6 hours for me to drive. I can show up for this......can't compete though. :| Would still like to come to meet everyone.

Michael

Edited by mwhities

If so, that's less than 6 hours for me to drive. I can show up for this......can't compete though. :| Would still like to come to meet everyone.

Michael

That's the one Michael. It's in Mesquite, TX. Paul and I will be there, but I'm not sure about other grip guys. Come on out if you can.

-Rex

Michael

That's the one Michael. It's in Mesquite, TX. Paul and I will be there, but I'm not sure about other grip guys. Come on out if you can.

-Rex

Rex,

Thanks and that's great. Takes me roughly 6 hours to get to Dallas so, it's rather a 'local" drive for me. I'll see if my best friend will go too.

Anyone else between Jackson MS and Mesquite need a ride?

Michael

EDIT: Well crapola. That's this weekend. I can't make it. ;\ I was thinking it was next month. I have side jobs I have to do this weekend. :|

Edited by mwhities

Ronnie said he will do it.

-Rex

That is as cool as cool gets Rex, it will be sweet to watch. Cant wait.

-Rex

Make absolutely sure you get some videos! That'd be incredibly awesome. Wish I could be there.

Edited by Magnus

-Rex

I hope so...he's got everything else!

VO2MAX?

Michael

-Rex

Me and my son Shane will be there.

Look forward to meeting you Michael. :)

Mighty Joe

-Rex

Hey Rex,

What time you and Paul setting up?

Also, do you know what time Ronnie WILL DO the feats?

I'll have camera and video camera both ready to go.

Can't wait!!!

Mighty Joe

-Rex

Hey Rex,

What time you and Paul setting up?

Also, do you know what time Ronnie WILL DO the feats?

I'll have camera and video camera both ready to go.

Can't wait!!!

Mighty Joe

Joe, I talked to Brian today and we agreed on Paul and I showing up at 1 PM, and staying till late. Paul can head out when he needs to, but I was planning on staying till 10 PM, as Brian said that the night crowd is the biggest. I don't know when Ronnie will try it, but I am guessing some time during the afternoon.

-Rex