100x100kg (100x220 Pounds) In The Squat

burkhardmacht

I once started but failed early. If someone has experience trying or achieving the completion of this monster set please let me know about Your experiences! Especially the way to that goal would be interesting to know! :rock

I've been training for just that as a matter of fact. I'm going to do it with BW, but by the time I get there I might be 220lbs anyway. It's a crazy hard goal!!! I had a nice program all lined up and figured out I'd need more maximal strength than I had at that time, so now I'm trying to get my max up and then I'll return to the original program.

Here is the program I had lined out.

Week 1- 10x10 @ 135

Week 2- 5x20 @ 115

Week 3- 4x25 @ 95

Week 4- 3x33 @ 75 (We'll throw in an extra rep somewhere)

Week 5- 2x50 @ 55

Week 6- 1x100 @ 45

Then we will start over at 145(adding 10lbs at the top) and drop 20lbs off each week. Then we'll start over at 155x10x10. We may feel good enough to go up 20lbs each cycle for the 10x10's, that remains to be seen. We will both continue this plan until we are up to my bro's BW(which should drop considerably by my BWx100 is reached) and we will both do that. That means I may, many months from now, be squatting 225x100 @ a BW of 185-195.

We will continue with a few extra sets after the bulk of the workout posted above. The extra work will get heavier and heavier as the Week # increases. 1x100 @ 45 wont be a challenge for either of us at that time, it's not much of a challenge for me now.

If I calculated this out right, we should reach 185 in the 6th week in 84 weeks and my bro's current BW of 230 in 108 weeks. We may feel strong enough at times to skip a cycle and add 20lbs as I said, or even 30lbs to the top. By the time we reach 1x100 @ 185 our 10x10 will be with 275, and when 1x100 is at 230, our 10x10's will be with 315.

It's not perfect, I didn't really leave much time for rest which would become a problem once the weights start getting heavier, but I think it's a good volume progression. Another idea I had was to continue with a regular 2x a week squat program and then add in a BW rep max attempt at the end of every other workout(once a week).

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

In the videos section of Marunde Muscle, there's a video of a guy trying a set of 100 reps with 218 pounds. He got 98 reps. It's a good video, and shows just how much mental strength is needed for this. In interviews, Jesse Marunde spoke highly of the mental fortitude of those who trained with him. With that endorsement, combined with the struggle evident in the video, you get some idea of how much grit this feat takes.

-Rex

For many years now I have used 100# for 100 full reps in my preparation for climbing big mountains with a heavy pack on. Now while I certainly recognize this is no where near the same feat - the mental effort needed is still interesting. When Zach came up with his BW for 100 goal - I decided to try BW (200#) for 60 (my age). Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and haven't been training for it lately. At one point I think I might have been capable of it but this is the kind of test that one must have your mind truly focused on the task at hand if you are to have any chance of success. It's a very hard thing, both physically and of course mentally. I think Zach's progression plan and his youth will get him to his goal - his mental game is good enough I think also. It will be a brutal accomplishment!

I believe that the guy who did the 218lb x 98 reportedly used lots of 10 sets of 10 reps in his training - a quick google search could probably locate that article.

I believe that the guy who did the 218lb x 98 reportedly used lots of 10 sets of 10 reps in his training - a quick google search could probably locate that article.

The article:

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/sarge98repsquat.html

The video:

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/sarge...quatX98reps.wmv

Zach, thanks for Your reply! I hope You'll be successful in Your attempt - keep us informed - perhaps in this thread?!

Rex, I know this video and watch it regulary before my squatting - it's just crazy!! The best I managed was 70x70kg with a straigt bar which left a very serious haematom on my neck (like 5x10 inches). That's one of the reasons I now use a buffalo bar which feels a lot better.

I managed to do 10x10x104kg in 40min a few weeks ago. I now do 1xmax reps with 100kg or 1x20 with an increasing weight (from 100kg in 1kg steps) depending on how I feel. On Thursday I do 3x3 at the moment and will change this to 5x5 and after that to 3x10. The 3x10 will change to 4x10, 5x10 ... and to 10x10 again (one set more every week). But now I feel that I have to increase my max to better my high stuff in the long run.

I've been training for just that as a matter of fact. I'm going to do it with BW, but by the time I get there I might be 220lbs anyway. It's a crazy hard goal!!! I had a nice program all lined up and figured out I'd need more maximal strength than I had at that time, so now I'm trying to get my max up and then I'll return to the original program.

Here is the program I had lined out.

Week 1- 10x10 @ 135

Week 2- 5x20 @ 115

Week 3- 4x25 @ 95

Week 4- 3x33 @ 75 (We'll throw in an extra rep somewhere)

Week 5- 2x50 @ 55

Week 6- 1x100 @ 45

Then we will start over at 145(adding 10lbs at the top) and drop 20lbs off each week. Then we'll start over at 155x10x10. We may feel good enough to go up 20lbs each cycle for the 10x10's, that remains to be seen. We will both continue this plan until we are up to my bro's BW(which should drop considerably by my BWx100 is reached) and we will both do that. That means I may, many months from now, be squatting 225x100 @ a BW of 185-195.

We will continue with a few extra sets after the bulk of the workout posted above. The extra work will get heavier and heavier as the Week # increases. 1x100 @ 45 wont be a challenge for either of us at that time, it's not much of a challenge for me now.

If I calculated this out right, we should reach 185 in the 6th week in 84 weeks and my bro's current BW of 230 in 108 weeks. We may feel strong enough at times to skip a cycle and add 20lbs as I said, or even 30lbs to the top. By the time we reach 1x100 @ 185 our 10x10 will be with 275, and when 1x100 is at 230, our 10x10's will be with 315.

It's not perfect, I didn't really leave much time for rest which would become a problem once the weights start getting heavier, but I think it's a good volume progression. Another idea I had was to continue with a regular 2x a week squat program and then add in a BW rep max attempt at the end of every other workout(once a week).

Sounds like a plan......this just popped in my head. But couldn't u use heavier weight and just manipulate the sets and rest times between them. Like the aforementioned 10 x 10.......just lower the rest times till its 1 set basically. Or just do a double set and make it 5 x 20.....

Dunno just some ideas.....

Sounds like a plan......this just popped in my head. But couldn't u use heavier weight and just manipulate the sets and rest times between them. Like the aforementioned 10 x 10.......just lower the rest times till its 1 set basically. Or just do a double set and make it 5 x 20.....

Dunno just some ideas.....

I've heard a million and one different ideas on how to train for this and, so long as they all work on the basic idea of increasing volume, they're all correct.

That video has got to be one of my new favorites. I cant even begin to imagine what his legs felt like after that (or even halfway through it). Gives me something to shoot for in terms of mental fortitude. My goal right now is to work up to the 100 reps with 100 pounds that Climber does. Hope to have that sometime in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is quazi-relevant here. It's obviously far from BW, but 150 reps of anything without putting the weight down... :whacked

I believe this is quazi-relevant here. It's obviously far from BW, but 150 reps of anything without putting the weight down... :whacked

I've done 135 x 100 before - it's still a mind game and something you certainly don't want to do very often - I think the difference between this and doing 200# or 220# is huge! Real huge :)

I've done 135 x 100 before - it's still a mind game and something you certainly don't want to do very often - I think the difference between this and doing 200# or 220# is huge! Real huge :)

Tell me again why you aren't the founder of Crossfit? If you had done it first, we wouldn't have "Rhabdo the Clown".

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Zach

where are you at on this--have you tested lately to see what your best effort is in one set?

Guest Bullitt

I got so pumped watching that video I had to come home and try it. Not with 218, cause that would be way too much, but I thought i would throw in some grip work with it and do it holding a 45 pound plate in each hand. So 90 + my bodyweight of 240 isn't quite the same but it killed. I set up the digital cam and was recording it, but the damn camera battery died at 15 seconds in. My wife (the official counter) realized it had stopped at about rep 58. I cussed and almost quit, but I kept going. 100 total reps. I can barely walk and probably won't be able to tomorrow. Most painful thing I ever put myself through. I finished it off with a set of romanian deadlifts to hit the hams a little better. Even though the camera died, I have two witnesses and everyone in our condo will probably vouch for me since I yelled and grunted my way through the last 15 reps. :laugh In all, it took a little under 7 minutes. Forearms were pretty shredded too when it was all said and done. Holding a 45 in each hand doesn't seem like much until you hold it for 7 minutes.

The main thing that got me ready was several rounds of blackjack. I now have the bug. next month I will try this with 135 (traditional back squat). Once I get that, I will retire the 100 rep squat. lol

Guest Bullitt
nice, i like the working in of the grip component as well.

Thanks Bro!

Yea, I figured that would add a little challenge, plus i thought squatting with 90lbs would just look goofy. :laugh

Plus, it is the grip board. lol

I can't count the "tough guys" over the years who have laughed at my little 100# squat routine - right up to where they actually tried it :) This is one that can be done without much training (assuming you train squats at all) - all it takes is making up your mind and then not changing it.

Guest Bullitt
I can't count the "tough guys" over the years who have laughed at my little 100# squat routine - right up to where they actually tried it :) This is one that can be done without much training (assuming you train squats at all) - all it takes is making up your mind and then not changing it.

lol. Yea, it was all mind set. 90lbs seemed like such a small amount, but as the reps add up, that 90 lbs seems to grow exponentially. When you get to 30, you think to yourself, "absolutely no way I make it to 100!" If you can push through that and get past 60, it then becomes a multitude of one rep battles... "I can do one more, I can do one more." In the 90s, my legs were burning so bad and I just wanted to drop the weights because my forearms were tightening up. You are so close though, that you just fight through because you don't want to go through the hell of doing 90+ squats and not hitting your goal.

Incredible 1 set workout. My legs were wobbly for at least an hour afterwards. They are very heavy today and the soreness is already setting in. Hopefully I will be able to walk tomorrow. :)

I may never win a strongman competition, but now i can say I did a 100 rep squat set. Not many people can say me too to that one. lol Thanks for the idea.

Mike

i just did it with my body weight and had a hard time getting through it rofl

Guest Bullitt

At 6'5" 315lbs, body weight is nothing to scoff at. That's a lot of mass to be moving for 100 reps. Not much less than me holding 90lbs. That brings up something I have always wondered about. Does anybody know what percentage of your body weight you squat when you do a body weight squat? I figure it's your whole upper body and some percentage of the legs. Does 75% sound about right? It's been way too long since Physics class for me to figure this one out. lol

At 6'5" 315lbs, body weight is nothing to scoff at. That's a lot of mass to be moving for 100 reps. Not much less than me holding 90lbs. That brings up something I have always wondered about. Does anybody know what percentage of your body weight you squat when you do a body weight squat? I figure it's your whole upper body and some percentage of the legs. Does 75% sound about right? It's been way too long since Physics class for me to figure this one out. lol

No idea about your question, but I'm just glad to see another big guy here too. I'm 6' 6" and 292lbs. (Was 335lbs at one time and 355lbs before that last time!).

Ohh, I figure it'd be a little more than 75%. Only thing you aren't "really" squatting is below the knees. Everything else is going up/down.

Michael

Guest Bullitt

True. You figure the thighs are the lever, so about half the mass of the thighs and the whole of your upper body. 80% is probably a good safe number. Might be higher, but 80 seems a safe bet. Any physics students out there? lol Now I feel like a lightweight. lol 6'3" 242. I need to up my caloric intake! :D