716 Pound Dl

The Natural

I've always loved the DL. Good luck with 800!

AWESOME I take it you only pulled in the comp??

AWESOME I take it you only pulled in the comp??

Thanks Bill.

Yeah, I just deadlifted. I'm planning to do a full p/l meet in May. Raw division in USAPL.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

110 pounds in 23 months. 84 pounds more to reach 800. I think 84 pounds in 2 years is possible, especially since I've learned a lot about training this past two months.

So yeah. I'm always thinking about the DL and those big numbers.

-Rex

Good job !

Would u care to share a couple of th things you learned?

Rico

Very nice pulling Rex!

What kind of totals are you putting up in the big three?

110 pounds in 23 months. 84 pounds more to reach 800. I think 84 pounds in 2 years is possible, especially since I've learned a lot about training this past two months.

So yeah. I'm always thinking about the DL and those big numbers.

-Rex

Good job !

Would u care to share a couple of th things you learned?

Rico

I looked over my training log and saw that I only deadlifted 6 times between November 15th of '08 and March of '09. This is not all that unusual for me. Weekly pulling has never worked for me.

I can just tell you what I've found helpful, but I think these points have some general applicability.

1) There's a guy on another strength forum I visit, and he made a very good point one day that I made note of way back in December.

"If you're built to deadlift, squat five times more than you deadlift." I took those words to heart and began to do close to that. I started squatting twice a week instead of once every other week, and I kept deadlifting every 2-3 weeks. It really paid off.

2) Squat at least twice a week, and for one of those sessions A) squat without a belt and B) squat ass to grass. I feel that squatting this way all the time is not ideal, as it doesn't let you use as much weight as possible. On the other hand, squatting just to parallel and with use of a belt all the time is not ideal, as you don't get the full range of motion and core training that comes with belt-less, ass to grass squats. Doing both allows you to gain the benefits that each style of squatting offers.

3) When you DO deadlift, hold nothing back and use heavy weight. If you're only deadlifting once every 2-3 weeks, you're not doing it often, so you need to make the sessions count.

Use this table to help you put together a set/rep scheme

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2005/04/prilepin_table.html

Stick to the categories therein of 70-79 percent and 80-89 percent. I like to do 3x5 with about 80 percent, keeping the weight the same each set.

With these deadlifts sessions, when I say hold nothing back, I mean it. The days before a DL workout, you should be thinking "Okay, it's deadlift weeek. DEADLIFT WEEK." Really prepare your mind in the days before and make the workouts count.

4) Use straps to extend the length of a certain cycle. You should be training your grip on the side anyway, so using straps every now and then is okay. What do I mean by 'extend'? Well, I'll add weight over the course of 2-3 deadlift workouts with a certain set/rep scheme that's kept the same, but I know that the next DL workout, I won't be able to go up in weight with that set/rep scheme. So sometimes, I'll use straps and squeeze out one more productive workout with that set-rep scheme. The straps help you use more weight and hold off the plateau a little longer. ultimately I have to switch to a different set/rep scheme, but the straps can be good to use sometimes to really milk a favorite one.

Hope those help.

-Rex

Very nice Rex. Your power off the floor is serious business. Your initial pull looks like you are gonna clean the damn weight.

I can't really say much because you can lift so much more than me but do you ever work higher rack pulls? It seems like you grind a bit on the lockout above the knees, if you strengthen this area it looks like you could pull allot more with the speed you pulled the 716 to your knees. How far can you get 750 or 800 now?

The cool thing about that upper portion is that it seems naturally to be the strongest range of the deadlift mechanically speaking so it should ramp up to meet your killer start without too much specific training for it. If you can get allot more to your knees already you have the hard part in the bag and it ain't gonna take nearly 2 years for you to hit 800.

Very nice Rex. Your power off the floor is serious business. Your initial pull looks like you are gonna clean the damn weight.

I can't really say much because you can lift so much more than me but do you ever work higher rack pulls? It seems like you grind a bit on the lockout above the knees, if you strengthen this area it looks like you could pull allot more with the speed you pulled the 716 to your knees. How far can you get 750 or 800 now?

The cool thing about that upper portion is that it seems naturally to be the strongest range of the deadlift mechanically speaking so it should ramp up to meet your killer start without too much specific training for it. If you can get allot more to your knees already you have the hard part in the bag and it ain't gonna take nearly 2 years for you to hit 800.

Thanks Tim.

You're right, I should do more rack pulls. I can almost lock out as much weight off the floor as I can with the bar 2" below the knee, so there's definitely something going on there that I need to work on.. I may start throwing in some really heavy 3x3 or something at 2" below the knee.

-Rex

rex

great reply! im gonna copy and paste that right to my squat rack!

rico

Thanks Tim.

You're right, I should do more rack pulls. I can almost lock out as much weight off the floor as I can with the bar 2" below the knee, so there's definitely something going on there that I need to work on.. I may start throwing in some really heavy 3x3 or something at 2" below the knee.

-Rex

Nice DL Rex. With your body type I think you would benefit a lot from partials but be careful with them - you need a system or you will get hurt. Moderation is the key when first starting out.

When I did rack work, I did my normal deads, then add 50 to the day's max & pull a set of 5 from 2" below the knee, then another set at knee level, then add 50 more & pull from 2" above the knee for 5. Heavy stiffs, shrugs & hypers was what I went after when I was doing all the assistance.

Nice pull big man....293?? Glad to see you are finally eating like a man. I think if you had set you opener a big higher, you had at least 725 in ya, your 1st two attempts were stupid fast. I think 800 will fall much faster than you think it will....Congrats...

-B

amazing Rex! i believe there are a LOT more in the Tank! ...(much MORE)

Edited by ewokhugo