How To Kick Start A Stalled Out Over Head Press

dageda

Heres a drill from Chris Rice (hope you dont mind me sharing Chris) to develop bar speed - pretty cool idea.

"When I was missing all my jerks I came up with banded front squat jumps. I'd load up the bar to just around my goal weight - add a moderate to heavy amount of bands - then dip and explode. I called them jumps but it was way to heavy to leave the ground - it was necessary to hold the perfect jerk position and keep the bar exactly in place to get the drive transmitted plus the weight and heavy eccentric loading and explosion that seems to do it - I never missed a competition jerks after including them. The bar of course never left my shoulders - it taught me proper drive then I used other movements to work the rest of the motion."

So let me see if I am understanding this right, you take a pretty heavy jerk weight and load bands on it. Then holding the bar in the top of a front squat you dip and drive like you are trying to jerk it. But it never actually goes anywhere because of the bands? It just works the initial drive into the jerk, correct?

Thats how I understand it. Maybe Chris will chime in.